'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 142925 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1625 on: April 12, 2024, 08:31:26 AM »
The thing about Pope is that there will be almost zero expectations.  He has nowhere to go with the fan base but upwards.

Now, having said that, Kentucky's AD will not be having an easy couple of years.

It's the opposite. They have huge expectations. The fanbase is going to compare him to John Calipari and are going to expect those results.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1626 on: April 12, 2024, 08:35:42 AM »

It's the opposite. They have huge expectations. The fanbase is going to compare him to John Calipari and are going to expect those results.

There's a reason they were trying to run Cal out of town.  He's had a bad run in the last five years.

Honestly, the hire will probably turn a lot of the rabid fans down a notch or two.  They're going to have to come to terms with the reality that college basketball doesn't revolve around them anymore.  This hiring humbled a lot of them already.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1627 on: April 12, 2024, 08:53:22 AM »
There's a reason they were trying to run Cal out of town.  He's had a bad run in the last five years.

Honestly, the hire will probably turn a lot of the rabid fans down a notch or two.  They're going to have to come to terms with the reality that college basketball doesn't revolve around them anymore.  This hiring humbled a lot of them already.

You might be on to something here hardy.  If cal struggled somewhat with the talent he was bringing in year after year…? The one and dones regardless of how good they are, go through growing pains. And the never really gel as a team. Also, the parity of college basketball today, it’s not easy to win year in/out.  Ask Matt painter, Bennett, Kryzewski et.al. Hell, ask Scott drew😉
don't...don't don't don't don't

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: April 12, 2024, 08:55:59 AM »
Maybe there are a few things left in CBB that aren't all about the money, after all.

Only because the money in Waco, Storrs, etc., is really big too.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1629 on: April 12, 2024, 08:57:54 AM »
once again, i never announced "donedeal" but you guys are always quick to dance on others apparent miscalculations.  i stand by my prognostications as i know my sources here are ironclad i merely said scott was going to be offered.  NEVER said he was going to take it as no one yet knew for sure.  i can tell you this however-it was a group decision.  if it were up to one person...

some of you out there-true character revealed-sad

You just don’t know ball
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #1630 on: April 12, 2024, 09:16:59 AM »

True, but "humbling" at UK will probably work a little differently than most places. Pope will get a couple years worth of leash to prove they aren't the next Indiana. Not more, and certainly not, say...five.  And there will be plenty of kicking and screaming along the way.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: April 12, 2024, 09:19:04 AM »
True, but "humbling" at UK will probably work a little differently than most places. Pope will get a couple years worth of leash to prove they aren't the next Indiana. Not more, and certainly not, say...five.  And there will be plenty of kicking and screaming along the way.

Oh, I totally agree.  And then if they can Pope and there is no clear replacement they can expect another round of what they've experienced this off-season.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: April 12, 2024, 09:20:47 AM »
The Kentucky faithful seem to be taking the news well.

https://twitter.com/__NotKG/status/1778598047305343222

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1633 on: April 12, 2024, 09:38:03 AM »

Oh?  A peaceful protest?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: April 12, 2024, 09:45:37 AM »

If they were serious they'd write letters.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1635 on: April 12, 2024, 09:46:23 AM »
If they were serious they'd write letters.

I’ve been told that shows leadership

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: April 12, 2024, 09:49:38 AM »

Personally knowing how Indiana fans still think they can pick and choose players  and coaches, and the interactions I have with UK fans on a weekly basis, I don't think this is correct.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: April 12, 2024, 10:02:44 AM »

There's also the matter of the Crafts.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: April 12, 2024, 10:04:59 AM »
Personally knowing how Indiana fans still think they can pick and choose players  and coaches, and the interactions I have with UK fans on a weekly basis, I don't think this is correct.

Delusional ones, yes, but every fan base has those.

IMO, at this point Indiana is no better a job than any other in the B1G.  It's been over two decades since they've gotten to the Elite 8, and nearly FOUR decades since their last championship.

There are literal grandparents who have not seen Indiana basketball win a National Championship.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #1639 on: April 12, 2024, 10:07:32 AM »
I was on one of the UK twitter spaces last night - it was entertaining to say the least. In the first 10 minutes of the space they had already filled up Mitch Barnhart's voice mail box (AD). Multiple people called for riots and one even provided Mitch's home address. This has not humbled anyone. I would be worth a decent sum of cash if I had a dollar for every time I heard "Write X coach a blank check and they will line up and come, because we are Kentucky"

This is spot on from the fan base that dug up grass in coach Cal's lawn after they won the natty and sold the pieces of sod on craigslist; then turned around and put "Die coach Cal" signs after the 1st weekend exits.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: April 12, 2024, 10:11:32 AM »
I was on one of the UK twitter spaces last night - it was entertaining to say the least. In the first 10 minutes of the space they had already filled up Mitch Barnhart's voice mail box (AD). Multiple people called for riots and one even provided Mitch's home address. This has not humbled anyone. I would be worth a decent sum of cash if I had a dollar for every time I heard "Write X coach a blank check and they will line up and come, because we are Kentucky"

This is spot on from the fan base that dug up grass in coach Cal's lawn after they won the natty and sold the pieces of sod on craigslist; then turned around and put "Die coach Cal" signs after the 1st weekend exits.

Yep, they're the delusional ones.  Not the average fan.  You think scoop can be a cesspool after a disappointing loss?  Never go to Rupp's Rafters.  You'll see true despair.

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #1641 on: April 12, 2024, 10:12:44 AM »

Who wouldn't want to coach at Kentucky?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1642 on: April 12, 2024, 10:13:20 AM »
once again, i never announced "donedeal" but you guys are always quick to dance on others apparent miscalculations.  i stand by my prognostications as i know my sources here are ironclad i merely said scott was going to be offered.  NEVER said he was going to take it as no one yet knew for sure.  i can tell you this however-it was a group decision.  if it were up to one person...

some of you out there-true character revealed-sad

True,  you never said done deal.  But you did post that the reason he turned down Louisville was because UK was going to offer him, implying that he was waiting for the UK job to open.  Instead he turned down UK too, so it seems like he turned down Loiusville (and Kentucky) because he wants to stay at Baylor.

You made a call based on good info.  It ended up not panning out,  it happens. Youre going to take some lumps for that. It's not personal,  it's what happens when someone misses a call on the internet
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #1643 on: April 12, 2024, 10:13:55 AM »
Yep, they're the delusional ones.  Not the average fan.  You think scoop can be a cesspool after a disappointing loss?  Never go to Rupp's Rafters.  You'll see true despair.

Scoop is tame compared to 99% of all other power 5 fanbases. The hubris of those Kentucky fans last night was laughable.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1644 on: April 12, 2024, 11:06:17 AM »
Their fans won't see it, but I think Kentucky are the winners here. Cal will go to Arkansas with all the fanfare he brings, the recruits, and the attention, but I don't think he'll win there at the level Pope will at Kentucky. Fans will cry all summer, then when the games actually start and they see his style of play, they'll get excited. Next year at this time, when they've projected as a top-10 team and Kentucky looks like a program back on the rise, they'll all be bought in.

Pope has exceeded kenpom projections 8/10 years as a head coach and BYU is a really tough place to win. Having 3 top-20 teams there in 5 years is fantastic. That's more top-20 kenpom teams than in the previous 23 years combined. He's a very good coach that has exceeded expectations at two very difficult jobs. I know UK fans aren't happy now, but in the long run, I think this one will prove to be a great hire.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: April 12, 2024, 11:39:21 AM »
Sounds like Mark Pope's style is...well, exactly what Kentucky was this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1646 on: April 12, 2024, 12:20:27 PM »
I bet you could sell separation of church and state tshirts to kentucky fans with a wall between Pope and UK logos.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: April 12, 2024, 12:21:33 PM »
I doubt they will accept the Pope being infallible.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1648 on: April 12, 2024, 12:26:16 PM »

Nah, they’re fine. Several years ago, I was banned from their site because I posted something laughing at them…..on a Marquette board.  :o

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: April 12, 2024, 12:30:24 PM »
Oh?  A peaceful protest?
Tourist visit
No Finish Line