'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 142884 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #250 on: January 24, 2024, 08:40:40 AM »
Cities scare me. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #251 on: January 24, 2024, 08:41:22 AM »
math:  725 > 515 
feelings:  N/A

Again, if you want to look at one data point to determine what "violent crime" is, go right ahead. It certainly doesn't give you the entire picture, but hey if it enforces the narrative you have been fed, it probably makes you feel good too.

In the meantime I will put another Scooper on my "not to be taken seriously" list. It's getting really long.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #252 on: January 24, 2024, 08:43:13 AM »
In before the lock

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #253 on: January 24, 2024, 08:46:20 AM »

Again, if you want to look at one data point to determine what "violent crime" is, go right ahead. It certainly doesn't give you the entire picture, but hey if it enforces the narrative you have been fed, it probably makes you feel good too.

In the meantime I will put another Scooper on my "not to be taken seriously" list. It's getting really long.

Per capita, according to Yellowstone, living in Montana is FAR more dangerous than living in any major city

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #254 on: January 24, 2024, 08:49:51 AM »

Me thinks you project too much.  I have made no statement, interjected no commentary, nor voiced any "feelings" regarding crime rates or the city of Chicago.  Frankly, I have none, nor the interest to acquire them.  My critique was simply on your reading comprehension as the link you provided, presumably in support of your premise, did nothing but undermine it.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #255 on: January 24, 2024, 08:59:16 AM »

I guess if you think homicides are the only example of "violent crime"...

The fact is the number of violent crimes in Chicago has decreased from 20 years ago. You can continue to argue with "statistics" and "math," but they will likely remain undefeated.

Or you can continue to base your opinions on things like "feelings" and "what other people are telling you." Just know that no one will take you seriously.
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/chicago-sees-total-crime-drop-but-most-violent-crimes-up-over-decade/

The troubling stat , to me, is the arrest rate.

Wondering what the conviction rate is
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:01:16 AM by lawdog77 »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #256 on: January 24, 2024, 09:00:21 AM »
We can hold many things as true at the same time, can we not?

Chicago area is incredible.  Amazing job and career opportunities, magnificent urban lakefront beauty, arts, cosmopolitan population, restaurant scene etc.

Chicago area is expensive.  High taxes, rent and cost of home ownership.

Chicago area has a lot of violent crime, and that sucks.

IL/Chicago taxes are high, especially relative to the south. But don’t fool yourself on taxes - not so high compared to WI.

If you are a retiree, you can live on a rural lake in Illinois and you likely will pay less in taxes than if you lived on a comparable WI setting (though that WI setting likely will be much more beautiful!).  Or you can live in Chicago and pay less in taxes than you would as a retiree in Milwaukee.

This is because: 1) Wisconsin real estate taxes are not low (WI ranks 44 out of 51 jurisdictions; IL 50th); and 2) Illinois doesn’t not tax SSI, pension, IRA. 401k.  WI, which has a higher top income tax rate than IL (yes, that’s right), taxes IRA’s, non-governmental pensions and 401k’s (like IL, WI does not tax SSI).  And remember, on non-retirement type income, WI is higher than IL.

Chicago/Cook County kills you with sales taxes, but WI also is high, and if you live outside of the city/Cook County, state sales tax isn’t that different (5% to 6.25%)

Back to the topic at hand:  I’d rather coach at MU than any school in Illinois.

Seven figure invoice incoming

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #257 on: January 24, 2024, 09:13:35 AM »
Just to anyone who replies

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #258 on: January 24, 2024, 09:36:28 AM »
Just to anyone who replies

AARP discounts given?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2024, 09:41:39 AM »
AARP discounts given?

If they are, that's all I need to know. I'm in.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2024, 09:45:30 AM »
AARP discounts given?

Yes (but note that the tax advice on the discount results in higher invoice)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2024, 09:48:16 AM »

IL/Chicago taxes are high, especially relative to the south. But don’t fool yourself on taxes - not so high compared to WI.

If you are a retiree, you can live on a rural lake in Illinois and you likely will pay less in taxes than if you lived on a comparable WI setting (though that WI setting likely will be much more beautiful!).  Or you can live in Chicago and pay less in taxes than you would as a retiree in Milwaukee.

This is because: 1) Wisconsin real estate taxes are not low (WI ranks 44 out of 51 jurisdictions; IL 50th); and 2) Illinois doesn’t not tax SSI, pension, IRA. 401k.  WI, which has a higher top income tax rate than IL (yes, that’s right), taxes IRA’s, non-governmental pensions and 401k’s (like IL, WI does not tax SSI).  And remember, on non-retirement type income, WI is higher than IL.

Chicago/Cook County kills you with sales taxes, but WI also is high, and if you live outside of the city/Cook County, state sales tax isn’t that different (5% to 6.25%)

What does this stuff have to do with my original post, which is about attracting a coach to DePaul?

He will definitely not be retired.  He will definitely have to live in the Chicago area (most likely right in the city because driving to Lincoln Park in the sucky traffic would take away valuable coaching time).  And any coach who puts in the typical number of hours required by a high-D1 program won't have time to take advantage of much, if any, of the fun stuff there is to do in Chicago.  I am not going to bother to correct your inaccuracies on your "facts" about Illinois taxes.

And if you charge me, I will just send you a bill for the financial advice.   :)

Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2024, 10:10:57 AM »
Chicago sucks, but no because of the crime or cost of living.

The pizza is pretty and food in general are pretty good, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2024, 10:16:14 AM »
What does this stuff have to do with my original post, which is about attracting a coach to DePaul?

He will definitely not be retired.  He will definitely have to live in the Chicago area (most likely right in the city because driving to Lincoln Park in the sucky traffic would take away valuable coaching time).  And any coach who puts in the typical number of hours required by a high-D1 program won't have time to take advantage of much, if any, of the fun stuff there is to do in Chicago.  I am not going to bother to correct your inaccuracies on your "facts" about Illinois taxes.

And if you charge me, I will just send you a bill for the financial advice.   :)

Scoop fight, Scoop fight, uh ah!!

And to correct you, Huggy is 70 and retired. And he can snowbird a half a year and a day in West Virginia.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #264 on: January 24, 2024, 10:22:39 AM »

Very little- you’d have to read the insanity after you post!

• All American
« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2024, 10:31:47 AM »
Me thinks you project too much.  I have made no statement, interjected no commentary, nor voiced any "feelings" regarding crime rates or the city of Chicago.  Frankly, I have none, nor the interest to acquire them.  My critique was simply on your reading comprehension as the link you provided, presumably in support of your premise, did nothing but undermine it.

Oh. So you cherry-picked one datapoint. Thanks for the confirmation.

And you're lying about your feelings. Pretty obviously.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #266 on: January 24, 2024, 10:47:49 AM »
Pros:
1. world class arts scene

2. World class food scene, there's a reason the Michelin guide's here. But beyond that The Bear isn't taking place at a butter burger stand in Milwaukee. Even the cheap dive spots are unique. Heck people loved MU gyros, where do you think those Kronos gyros they used were made?

3. Every sport (pretend you don't care about Hockey all you want if MKE or whatever city you're in had it you'd be a fan, same if the packers moved to Milwaukee area)

4. Density, transit, and non Euclidean zoning. Modern zoning practices are the reason that sprawl suburbs exist, reason that car centric infrastrure became necessary that set the stage for big box stores and now Amazon to grow to the insane level they are. Heck even the reason the drinking age is 21 is because driving. The walkability in Chicago is superior to pretty much every major city outside of New York. Philly's probably on par, with a couple others.

5. Lake front

6. Architecture

Cons:

1. Taxes, ok I'll give this one it sucks. At least the waters clean and main beaches are pristine.

2. Corruption, people who crap on Chicago have double standards here based on their political preference.

3. Crime, every big city has it. It's definitely a concerning rising trend in Chicago because the old "it's only the south and west sides" isn't a thing anymore. Still crime rate is better than hard numbers for context.

4. Cost of Living, I'd say for a global city it's cheap relative to NYC, & LA, plus smaller cities like San Fran, Boston, Denver, and Seattle are all more costly. But yes, an average service industry worker or entry level employee isn't living in an idealistic spot and home values are a bit inflated relative to size.

Debatable:

1. Weather, I'd prefer a sustainable living spot with snow a few months than paying for bottled water filled with microplastic in Phoenix, breathing in smoke for 6 months in California, or hurricanes in Florida but that's me. Plus, as someone who's training for a marathon during this winter, to quote the Scandinavians "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes"

Idk why people have to have this "Chicagos terrible!" Or "Chicagos a utopia!". It has its issues and it has its benefits. But personally if I lived in a car centric, cookie cutter suburb and hour away rather than immediately say it's a hell hole I'd take an Introspective at if my issues with it are my own doing by "othering" urban locations, or forcing myself to drive in snow, or spending so little time in Chicago that it becomes associated with work or a becomes a stressful chore to get to town and explore.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #267 on: January 24, 2024, 10:56:34 AM »
Pros:
1. world class arts scene

2. World class food scene, there's a reason the Michelin guide's here. But beyond that The Bear isn't taking place at a butter burger stand in Milwaukee. Even the cheap dive spots are unique. Heck people loved MU gyros, where do you think those Kronos gyros they used were made?

3. Every sport (pretend you don't care about Hockey all you want if MKE or whatever city you're in had it you'd be a fan, same if the packers moved to Milwaukee area)

4. Density, transit, and non Euclidean zoning. Modern zoning practices are the reason that sprawl suburbs exist, reason that car centric infrastrure became necessary that set the stage for big box stores and now Amazon to grow to the insane level they are. Heck even the reason the drinking age is 21 is because driving. The walkability in Chicago is superior to pretty much every major city outside of New York. Philly's probably on par, with a couple others.

5. Lake front

6. Architecture

Cons:

1. Taxes, ok I'll give this one it sucks. At least the waters clean and main beaches are pristine.

2. Corruption, people who crap on Chicago have double standards here based on their political preference.

3. Crime, every big city has it. It's definitely a concerning rising trend in Chicago because the old "it's only the south and west sides" isn't a thing anymore. Still crime rate is better than hard numbers for context.

4. Cost of Living, I'd say for a global city it's cheap relative to NYC, & LA, plus smaller cities like San Fran, Boston, Denver, and Seattle are all more costly. But yes, an average service industry worker or entry level employee isn't living in an idealistic spot and home values are a bit inflated relative to size.

Debatable:

1. Weather, I'd prefer a sustainable living spot with snow a few months than paying for bottled water filled with microplastic in Phoenix, breathing in smoke for 6 months in California, or hurricanes in Florida but that's me. Plus, as someone who's training for a marathon during this winter, to quote the Scandinavians "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes"

Idk why people have to have this "Chicagos terrible!" Or "Chicagos a utopia!". It has its issues and it has its benefits. But personally if I lived in a car centric, cookie cutter suburb and hour away rather than immediately say it's a hell hole I'd take an Introspective at if my issues with it are my own doing by "othering" urban locations, or forcing myself to drive in snow, or spending so little time in Chicago that it becomes associated with work or a becomes a stressful chore to get to town and explore.

All cities, regardless of size, have pluses and minuses.  All people, regardless of their backgrounds, have preferences for the place they choose to live.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2024, 11:12:25 AM »
All cities, regardless of size, have pluses and minuses.  All people, regardless of their backgrounds, have preferences for the place they choose to live.
Except Dayton

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2024, 11:17:34 AM »
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/chicago-sees-total-crime-drop-but-most-violent-crimes-up-over-decade/

The troubling stat , to me, is the arrest rate.

Wondering what the conviction rate is

Lazy union workers, hey?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2024, 11:34:23 AM »

I guess if you think homicides are the only example of "violent crime"...

The fact is the number of violent crimes in Chicago has decreased from 20 years ago. You can continue to argue with "statistics" and "math," but they will likely remain undefeated.

Homicides are not the only examples of violent crime. But they are the ultimate example and the easiest one to accurately measure. The fact the the murder rate is up 40% in the last 10 years is pretty staggering.

• All American
« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2024, 11:54:06 AM »
Homicides are not the only examples of violent crime. But they are the ultimate example and the easiest one to accurately measure. The fact the the murder rate is up 40% in the last 10 years is pretty staggering.

It's actually an incredibly small portion of violent crime.  In 2022, there were about 25,000 instances of violent crime in Chicago.  Homicides were something like 2% of that. 

And of course this means that the average person in Chicago had less than a 1% chance of being the victim of a violent crime. But whatever drives the clicks right?

I'm sure prospective De Paul coaches are shuddering at that.  ::)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2024, 12:32:06 PM »
It's actually an incredibly small portion of violent crime.  In 2022, there were about 25,000 instances of violent crime in Chicago.  Homicides were something like 2% of that. 

And of course this means that the average person in Chicago had less than a 1% chance of being the victim of a violent crime. But whatever drives the clicks right?

I don’t give a sh!t about DePaul or their coach being “scared”. But you’re being disingenuous as usual when you give equal weight statistically to guys getting punched in bar fights (down) to guys getting killed (up).

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2024, 12:42:19 PM »
Frankly I'm worried being around FiFo & campus the weekend of February 25
Goal is National Championship

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2024, 12:51:33 PM »

It’s why Marquette needs to move their campus to Fond du Lac, to attract better head coaches.  Bet Billy Donovan would have taken the job had it not been located in Milwaukee

feedback