[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Two and Done?  (Read 9078 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Two and Done?
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 11:49:59 AM »
I think they should have a single elimination tournament for all the NBA teams that don't make the playoffs. Seed it so the better your record, the easier your path. Winners advance and the tournament champ gets the #1 overall seed. Include loser brackets so every pick is determined on the court and you have to win to get rewarded. It would also encourage teams in the lottery to play well late to get the best seeding.

How motivated are players going to be to help their team land a really good player that will replace them?
Like, if I'm Robin Lopez, do I bust my tail in this tournament to help the Bulls land Ayton or Bamba?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 11:51:30 AM »
Pay the players what they're worth and poof all the recruiting violations go away.

And how do you determine what they're worth? Are all DI players equal, so Froling gets as much as Ayton or Young? Or do you get a higher salary from UK or Duke based on revenues? A bonus for making all-conference or all-American?

You might eliminate recruiting violations, but you'd have to create a whole new set of rules that would then be violated....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »
How motivated are players going to be to help their team land a really good player that will replace them?
Like, if I'm Robin Lopez, do I bust my tail in this tournament to help the Bulls land Ayton or Bamba?

Exactly.  No professional player is going to be motivated to play in that.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »
I heard a proposal the other day that the NBA should have an NCAA-style single elimination tournament at the end of the season for the teams that "DON'T" make the play-offs.  The winner gets the 1st draft pick and also could be given the 16th spot in the NBA playoffs.  Runner-up gets 2nd draft pick.  Along the lines of that.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 12:28:09 PM »
And how do you determine what they're worth? Are all DI players equal, so Froling gets as much as Ayton or Young? Or do you get a higher salary from UK or Duke based on revenues? A bonus for making all-conference or all-American?

You might eliminate recruiting violations, but you'd have to create a whole new set of rules that would then be violated....

You pay them whatever it takes to get them on campus. You can write bonuses into their contract if that's what it takes.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »
I heard a proposal the other day that the NBA should have an NCAA-style single elimination tournament at the end of the season for the teams that "DON'T" make the play-offs.  The winner gets the 1st draft pick and also could be given the 16th spot in the NBA playoffs.  Runner-up gets 2nd draft pick.  Along the lines of that.

Wouldn't it behoove a really good team to tank the regular season, then win this tournament, allowing them to get the #1 pick AND compete for a title?
Also, this would require eliminating the conference playoff structure.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »

You mean the idea that was mentioned just over an hour ago in this very same topic?

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=56111.msg1010759#msg1010759

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 12:33:25 PM »

In a transient league, you may end up on a different team, but you'll still have a job. And if guys decide to stop playing at the end of the season, that could impact their next contract (unlike sitting out of the NIT). And coaches would be motivated to get that pick. It'd make the end of the season far more interesting and certainly make the end of season tank job less enticing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
Then you're better off being the first team out of the playoffs than the last team in, so you'll have the odd spectacle of borderline teams fighting to not make the playoffs.  The NBA is an unusual league because in any given year roughly 75% of the teams that make the playoffs have a less than 1% chance of winning the title.  The other leagues teams can think "if we just sneak into the playoffs and get hot at the right time we could win a championship."  Not so in the NBA.  Don't know how you fix that.

You reduce the number of games in a series. You're right that only 1-2 teams have a prayer of beating the Warriors 4 out of 7 times, 3 out of 5 or 2 out of 3? More teams have hope.

Of course that's a non-starter becasue of $$$$$$$
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2018, 01:05:13 PM »
Happens every year with hockey and baseball players.

Those aren't important college sports, though.   ;D

I vote that the rule should be that if you sign an LOI, you aren't eligible for the draft.  However, if you don't get drafted, you are immediately eligible to play in the NCAA.

It would be very entertaining to watch all the coaches attack the dumped chum bucket of NBA rejects.
Have some patience, FFS.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »
I saw my favorite proposal for the NBA draft lottery on twitter.

Non playoff teams in lottery.  Two waited factors: Losses before all star break and wins after all star break.

Bad teams still get better lottery odds but late season tanking has no benefit.  Winning actually has a reward.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
You pay them whatever it takes to get them on campus. You can write bonuses into their contract if that's what it takes.

3 things to consider:

1)The NBA does not trust themselves to draft 18 year olds. For every Lebron and Kobe, there are 30 Kwame Browns that are busts and get paid way too much money. Even the one and dones get paid much more than what they actually contribute to their teams. The NBA is a mans game and most 18 and 19 year olds are flat out not ready. No need to make them millionaires if they’re not ready. Go to college and prove yourself. Or go to the G league and prove yourself.

2) Put a monetary value on the exposure that NCAA players receive. How much exposure did Trae Young receive this season? How much value did he add to his future earnings by playing at Oklahoma?  If he went to the G League, collected a salary and put up similar numbers, would anyone here know about it? Even for the players that don’t make the NBA, how many doors will be opened for them professionally from the exposure they received?

3) The overwhelming majority of NCAA players are replaceable and the talent gap is not as wide as many think. Marquette fans will show up, tune in and cheer for whatever young men put on the Marquette uniform. Same goes for most schools. If at the beginning of the season, you took out who you thought were the 30 best players in college basketball, put them in the NBA, and reshuffled the remaining talent, would the NCAA season and tournament be any less competitive or compelling? Would you not watch it?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2018, 10:38:13 PM »

You mean the idea that was mentioned just over an hour ago in this very same topic?

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=56111.msg1010759#msg1010759

The optics of the worst teams in the league duking it out for the #1 seed aren't good in my mind. Might be even worse than the tanking. How many fans are going to show up? You might need to host these games in the AL.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 11:19:14 PM »

So why bother with the campuses, or classes...or with college teams at all for that matter?   Might just as well let them all go to the NBA today...

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 11:58:29 PM »
Pay the players what they're worth and poof all the recruiting violations go away.

Legalize marijuana and all the illegal marijuana goes away. 

Your idea is up in smoke. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2018, 12:49:40 AM »
What about allowing them to be drafted and stay in school like college hockey? I'm sure thatd alleviate some stress for the player of needing to leave right away and if they preferred college life to being stashed in the GLeague (ellenson) then they could stay and rep the school while knowing they can sign and negotiate when they'd like to leave School
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:04:27 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2018, 06:39:32 AM »
What about allowing them to be drafted and stay in school like college? I'm sure thatd alleviate some stress for the player of needing to leave right away and if they preferred college life to being stashed in the GLeague (ellenson) then they could stay and rep the school while knowing they can sign and negotiate when they'd like to leave School

Agreed.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »
Legalize marijuana and all the illegal marijuana goes away. 

Your idea is up in smoke.

What? It certainly makes it significantly improved.

Just like there's still moonshine made illegally, but not as much a problem as if we had prohibition

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »
3 things to consider:

1)The NBA does not trust themselves to draft 18 year olds. For every Lebron and Kobe, there are 30 Kwame Browns that are busts and get paid way too much money. Even the one and dones get paid much more than what they actually contribute to their teams. The NBA is a mans game and most 18 and 19 year olds are flat out not ready. No need to make them millionaires if they’re not ready. Go to college and prove yourself. Or go to the G league and prove yourself.

2) Put a monetary value on the exposure that NCAA players receive. How much exposure did Trae Young receive this season? How much value did he add to his future earnings by playing at Oklahoma?  If he went to the G League, collected a salary and put up similar numbers, would anyone here know about it? Even for the players that don’t make the NBA, how many doors will be opened for them professionally from the exposure they received?

3) The overwhelming majority of NCAA players are replaceable and the talent gap is not as wide as many think. Marquette fans will show up, tune in and cheer for whatever young men put on the Marquette uniform. Same goes for most schools. If at the beginning of the season, you took out who you thought were the 30 best players in college basketball, put them in the NBA, and reshuffled the remaining talent, would the NCAA season and tournament be any less competitive or compelling? Would you not watch it?

It's not just NBA talents that deserve to be paid. Recruiting is fierce for many players that have no shot of making the league. Just deregulate the NCAA and make them compete financially for talent like every other business in the world. Winning men's basketball and football teams are very valuable to universities. Beyond ticket sales and TV money, donations and applications go way up when a team does well.

I will never be persuaded that the players for revenue sports should be compensated the same as the non-revenue sports players. I think it's immoral to do so. Non-revenue sports should be club sports. Revenue sports should be able to keep their money and use it to compensate their players.

Title IX needs to be scrapped in college athletics as well. Women make up 56% of college students now and are graduating at a higher rate than men. There's no reason a field hockey player should receive a scholarship.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2018, 05:15:57 PM »
It's not just NBA talents that deserve to be paid. Recruiting is fierce for many players that have no shot of making the league. Just deregulate the NCAA and make them compete financially for talent like every other business in the world. Winning men's basketball and football teams are very valuable to universities. Beyond ticket sales and TV money, donations and applications go way up when a team does well.

I will never be persuaded that the players for revenue sports should be compensated the same as the non-revenue sports players. I think it's immoral to do so. Non-revenue sports should be club sports. Revenue sports should be able to keep their money and use it to compensate their players.

Title IX needs to be scrapped in college athletics as well. Women make up 56% of college students now and are graduating at a higher rate than men. There's no reason a field hockey player should receive a scholarship.

Not all sports are revenue producers at every university. Some schools turn profits in hockey and baseball most don't. We've turned profit in women's basketball most don't. Are you referring just to Football and Basketball? What about programs that aren't winning and racking in big money?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 05:30:55 PM »
Not all sports are revenue producers at every university. Some schools turn profits in hockey and baseball most don't. We've turned profit in women's basketball most don't. Are you referring just to Football and Basketball? What about programs that aren't winning and racking in big money?

Football and basketball are the examples I used because those have traditionally been the revenue sports, but I'd say any sport you can at least break even on could be viable. I know hockey is a money maker in the Dakotas so for sure they'd want to keep going. Women's volleyball does well in Nebraska so same thing. Sports that aren't making any money at individual universities might need to become club sports.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2018, 06:47:59 PM »

1.  Every sport is a "revenue sport."

2.  Odd notion of morality.

3.  Title IX should definitely NOT be scrapped for college athletics. 

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2018, 07:28:09 PM »

1.  Every sport is a "revenue sport."

2.  Odd notion of morality.

3.  Title IX should definitely NOT be scrapped for college athletics.

1. Positive net income sport takes too long to type out. Everyone knows what I mean by revenue sports, including you.

2. Intentionally underpaying people is immoral.

3. Very compelling argument.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
1. Positive net income sport takes too long to type out. Everyone knows what I mean by revenue sports, including you.

2. Intentionally underpaying people is immoral.

3. Very compelling argument.

Another person who equates economics with ethics.  ::)

You don't differentiate how you treat certain sports because of what the marketplace dictates.  That is more unethical than anything.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:57:23 PM by #bansultan »

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2018, 09:02:54 PM »

Another person who equates economics with ethics.  ::)

You don't differentiate how you treat certain sports because of what the marketplace dictates.  That is more unethical than anything.

Yet you're completely fine with differentiating people based on different worthless talents. Why should a non-revenue athlete recieve scholarship money and a regular student have to pay their own way? Where's the ethic in that?