[Today at 10:58:59 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MUDPT
[Today at 08:30:00 AM]

Congrats Tyler by Herman Cain
[Today at 07:56:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What did you watch in 2016?  (Read 11164 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: What did you watch in 2016?
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2016, 11:05:46 AM »
I am about halfway through The Crown right now, and it is pretty fascinating.

It's not the girly costume drama one might expect; it's more of a dramatization of post-war British politics.  Lots of interesting stuff about Winston Churchill and Edward VII.

Also, apparently Prince Philip was a complete dick about having to play second fiddle to the monarchy.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2016, 10:55:42 PM »
I am about halfway through The Crown right now, and it is pretty fascinating.

It's not the girly costume drama one might expect; it's more of a dramatization of post-war British politics.  Lots of interesting stuff about Winston Churchill and Edward VII.

Also, apparently Prince Philip was a complete dick about having to play second fiddle to the monarchy.

The Crown isn't all that bad. My only comment is that I was appalled about Lithgow playing Churchill but in the form he did a respectable job. Really quite believable.

Death on call

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2016, 12:06:50 AM »
I'm not sure if this was a 2015 series, but I just got around to binge watching the 10 episodes of The People vs OJ. Really brought back a lot of memories. I was in a conference room watching the trial on tv with about 50 people when the verdict was read. The group was pretty evenly split between African Americans and whites. The reactions in the room were exactly as shown in the movie.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2016, 09:32:19 AM »
I'm not sure if this was a 2015 series, but I just got around to binge watching the 10 episodes of The People vs OJ. Really brought back a lot of memories. I was in a conference room watching the trial on tv with about 50 people when the verdict was read. The group was pretty evenly split between African Americans and whites. The reactions in the room were exactly as shown in the movie.

Don't miss the 30 for 30 on OJ.  Very well done.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2016, 05:41:25 PM »
What'd y'all think of LaLaLand, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2016, 05:48:03 PM »
Stranger Things was my favorite thing I watched in 2016.

GoT, of course. The Americans and The Affair, both very good.

I really liked both OJ series, both the doc and the Cuba Gooding one.

Just started watching High Castle and looking forward to enjoying the 2 seasons.

Based on what others have said, I will give Westworld another shot. I was a little tired and couldn't get through the first episode, and my wife was snoring in the chair next to me. But that happens. One of my favorite shows ever, Six Feet Under, I hated the first episode but forced myself to watch it again after it got good reviews - and was glad I did.

I agree about Full Frontal. Sam Bee is outstanding. I also like Oliver very much even though a few things bug me about it. For those saying Oliver and Sam are "funnier" than Stewart was, do remember it's easier to come up with material and clever ways to deliver it when you're only on once a week. Stewart and Colbert were amazingly consistent, night after night after night. I miss them terribly.

I haven't seen many movies in theaters this year and those I did see didn't do much for me. The most acclaimed one I've seen was Arrival and I thought it was only OK. I have Deadpool on the DVR and am looking forward to carving out a couple hours to watch it. Soon, I think!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2016, 06:15:17 PM »
Loved Breaking Bad but didn't give Better Call Saul a chance until last month (thought it would just be slapstick Odenkirk in bright suits defending small-time ABQ bad guys).

Exceptional TV that stands up in every way to Breaking Bad. Really looking forward to season 3.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2016, 07:13:31 PM »
Babes In Hot Lust there, purse-mouth.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2016, 07:14:13 PM »
Loved Breaking Bad but didn't give Better Call Saul a chance until last month (thought it would just be slapstick Odenkirk in bright suits defending small-time ABQ bad guys).

Exceptional TV that stands up in every way to Breaking Bad. Really looking forward to season 3.

So good

chapman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2016, 09:02:02 PM »
The Man in the High Castle (Amazon)

This series is good.  Been caught up with family, just started but look forward to finishing the new season. 

Goliath was a decent Amazon series as well.  I thought the first season of Mozart in the Jungle was really good, but the last two have been poor.

From Netflix, Stranger Things was very good though not as incredible as the hype.  Marco Polo and Daredevil second seasons weren't bad but not nearly as good as the firsts.  I thought they did the Arrested Development re-boot well, but of this year's tries Fuller House was bad and Gilmore Girls wasn't much better.  Saw the Netflix movie Fundamentals of Caring with the family yesterday, and it was better than expected.

GoT had a pretty good season; I thought season 5 was pretty poor but this one was a good bounce back.  Like Oliver, though it's gotten repetitive. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2016, 10:14:08 PM »

I had almost this exact same thought, MG. I thought it would be OK at best and it has far exceeded expectations.

I forgot to also say how much I enjoyed The Night Of on HBO.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
I had almost this exact same thought, MG. I thought it would be OK at best and it has far exceeded expectations.

I knew I would love it. For those of you who had low expectations:

YOU!!!    WILL!!!      ATONE!!!
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2016, 11:27:34 AM »

I knew I would love it. For those of you who had low expectations:

YOU!!!    WILL!!!      ATONE!!!

I already have, Jimmy!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2016, 11:50:51 PM »
Finished Man in the High Castle yesterday... excellent.  Not sure if there is going to be a third season, but I'll be content if this were the end.

The x-ray feature is pretty cool, by the way... even though S2 didn't have much detail, it was especially helpful in keeping track of the various characters.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2017, 08:23:01 AM »
The Crown isn't all that bad. My only comment is that I was appalled about Lithgow playing Churchill but in the form he did a respectable job. Really quite believable.

I managed to watch with the wife over the long New Year's weekend.  It was excellent.  The Churchill portrait episode is worth the price of admission. 
Bizarre to watch how a monarch should be able to change things with the wave of a hand, but they necessarily can't.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
I managed to watch with the wife over the long New Year's weekend.  It was excellent.  The Churchill portrait episode is worth the price of admission. 
Bizarre to watch how a monarch should be able to change things with the wave of a hand, but they necessarily can't.

In a testament to Lithgow, I didnt even realize that was him until I looked up the cast after the first couple episodes. I loved Dexter, and I had to look up if Lithgow was British or American because his accent was so believable, and ive been living in England since September.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
Finished Man in the High Castle yesterday... excellent.  Not sure if there is going to be a third season, but I'll be content if this were the end.

Also finished the second season and thought it was great.  Saw the news this morning that it's been renewed for season three.

Also saw that Marco Polo was cancelled - probably a good call.  Thought the first season was very impressive, less so the second.  Should also have just called it Kublai Khan, because Benedict Wong made that show.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:36:18 AM by chapman »

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2017, 02:23:18 PM »
I have enjoyed "Berlin Station".  It is on Epix, which you may not even know you have or not.  I think it is included in a lot of cable packages.  Kinda like Homeland if you enjoy that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned "Black Mirror" yet.  glow jr. turned me on to it.  Imagine "Twilight Zone" set in the very near future, with a focus on where technology is taking us.

Although it can be uneven from episode to episode, it is fascinating.  The pilot was absolutely jaw-dropping.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:17:55 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »
Season 2 of Mr.  Robot was pretty disappointing

brandx

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2017, 05:03:24 PM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned "Black Mirror" yet.  glow jr. turned me on to it.  Imagine "Twilight Zone" set in the very near future, with a focus on where technology is taking us.

Although it can be uneven from episode to episode, it is fascinating.  The pilot was absolutely jaw-dropping.

You're right about the pilot - and then I found it mostly disappointing after that.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2017, 01:43:55 PM »
For those with kids - mine (8 & 10) started watching TrollHunters a Dreamworks production on Netflix.  Pretty quality series and the kids are totally into it.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2017, 09:13:54 PM »
OK, it's 2017 but we are 3 shows into A Series Of Unspeakable Events and it's fantastic.  Dark, funny, sick, and positive - very well done. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2017, 09:30:47 PM »
OK, it's 2017 but we are 3 shows into A Series Of Unspeakable Events and it's fantastic.  Dark, funny, sick, and positive - very well done.
*Unfortunate

Really? Eh, I mean, its alright better than the movie at least. I loved the books when I was younger, read them all multiple times and I just think that the style of the books doesnt lend itself well to be put into a film/show format. Very Wes Anderson style, so not for everyone.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2017, 10:12:17 PM »
*Unfortunate

Really? Eh, I mean, its alright better than the movie at least. I loved the books when I was younger, read them all multiple times and I just think that the style of the books doesnt lend itself well to be put into a film/show format. Very Wes Anderson style, so not for everyone.
damn accepting auto correct too soon!!

It may be that i'm too old to have read the books and therefore i have no preconceived notions and am seeing it with our 10 yr old (and through his eyes?).  Did the books lend themselves to being this theatrical, or is it just NPH?