[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: And enough with the "Rebuild" thing  (Read 8391 times)

1SE

• All American
And enough with the "Rebuild" thing
« on: March 22, 2019, 10:33:37 AM »
Seriously, and give the "rebuild" thing a rest. Sure, Buzz left a dumpster fire. But it's not like Wojo walked into a program that had never had a winning record and played their ball in a low-major conference, in a gym with a leaky roof and a broken screen door and a 2nd-hand yellow school bus that took them to their games.

He walked into a program that been to the post-season in 12 of the previous 13 years, 10 of those those being NCAA appearances that included 2 SS, 1 EE and 1 FF. ]

He walked into a program in the top-10 of MBB spending in the NCAA.

He walked into a program with a world-class practice facility.

He walked into a program with a storied history.

If we had been in the wilderness of college basketball, if we were DePaul, then this type of "rebuild" would be satisfactory.

but WE ARE MARQUETTE. That meant something when I was a student.

It should have taken Wojo a season to turn things around. Maybe we were on track in year 3, but to be no better today than we were then has nothing to do with Wojo "rebuilding" from Buzz's sh*tstorm. It's completely on the team and program that Wojo has put together.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: And enough with the "Rebuild" thing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 10:40:19 AM »
It should have taken Wojo a season to turn things around. Maybe we were on track in year 3, but to be no better today than we were then has nothing to do with Wojo "rebuilding" from Buzz's sh*tstorm. It's completely on the team and program that Wojo has put together.

Disagree about one season, we got lucky with Henry making it look like the rebuild should've taken one season. Year three was about right, frustrating but about right. Last season I feel we were better suited for March than this year shame we choked, truly one win probs gets us there.

Currently anything left of the rebuild is on Wojo 100%, it has to do with Wojo losing Henry Haanif and Tracy. Our senior leadership which would've been that class was RS JR Anim and nailed to the bench Heldt. It's why I am in the camp of Wojo deserves to see off Markus, Sam and Anim next year.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:53:25 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 11:45:26 AM »
And I've had enough of people discounting this year because of the previous 4.  Get over it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
Rebuild is over. Could it have gone quicker? Who knows. But its over now and result #1 is a 5 seed with a first round exit. Not great, not bad.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 11:55:31 AM »
The "TAMU" explains why you're so content with mediocrity

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 11:58:02 AM »
The "TAMU" explains why you're so content with mediocrity

Who said I'm content? I won't be happy until I get to witness a MU championship with my own eyes. I just recognize that it takes a lot of time, perseverance, and slogging through crap to get there.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »
I would agree with that.    A 24 win team that theoretically is returning its core and adding 3 guards with size.     Future looks good.   This year ended poorly, no doubt.    But 350 teams end the year pissed.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 12:22:56 PM »
Seriously, and give the "rebuild" thing a rest. Sure, Buzz left a dumpster fire. But it's not like Wojo walked into a program that had never had a winning record and played their ball in a low-major conference, in a gym with a leaky roof and a broken screen door and a 2nd-hand yellow school bus that took them to their games.

He walked into a program that been to the post-season in 12 of the previous 13 years, 10 of those those being NCAA appearances that included 2 SS, 1 EE and 1 FF. ]

He walked into a program in the top-10 of MBB spending in the NCAA.

He walked into a program with a world-class practice facility.

He walked into a program with a storied history.

If we had been in the wilderness of college basketball, if we were DePaul, then this type of "rebuild" would be satisfactory.

but WE ARE MARQUETTE. That meant something when I was a student.

Enough with claiming people are saying rebuild.  I think it was you that said folks were saying rebuild all five years....please show one person that ever said that.

Rebuild was appropriate descriptor in year one and two.  That is what people have typically said.  Low and behold, years 3, 4, and 5 we went to the post season when we weren’t rebuilding.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 12:27:51 PM »
Enough with claiming people are saying rebuild.  I think it was you that said folks were saying rebuild all five years....please show one person that ever said that.

Rebuild was appropriate descriptor in year one and two.  That is what people have typically said.  Low and behold, years 3, 4, and 5 we went to the post season when we weren’t rebuilding.
As a point of reference our internet face of MU basketball , Mr. Dodds,  said it was a rebuild well into year 5 . He officially declared the rebuild over earlier this year.
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Reply/DoddsOnSports-Reply-128424520/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
I also said it was a 5 year rebuild, meaning it would take 5 years to get a high seed in the NCAA tournament. Rebuild is most definitely over.
TAMU

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »
I would agree with that.    A 24 win team that theoretically is returning its core and adding 3 guards with size.     Future looks good.   This year ended poorly, no doubt.    But 350 teams end the year pissed.
do 350 teams lose 7 of their last 9 games to end the season? it's not just one loss to a hot mid major which is bad enough.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 12:34:41 PM »
I agree with Brother TAMU.

Year 5. The rebuild is over. You are what you are.

The question that we as Brother and Sister Scoopers have to ask is whether the progression in our program plateaued or we've merely hit a rough pocket of air.

I damn well hope we're still climbing. Because I agree -- WE ARE MARQUETTE!

We don't flunk the final exam for the 2018-2019 season. Yet we did!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »
do 350 teams lose 7 of their last 9 games to end the season? it's not just one loss to a hot mid major which is bad enough.

Nope.    Which is why my post included the phrase....'the year ended poorly, no doubt'.  But it does not detract from the fact that this was a 24 win team that theoretically is returning its core.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »
Year 3-5 were better than years 1-2.  And in terms of regular season overall, even with the collapse, I think year 5 was better than the prior 4 (+ Buzz's last year)... almost like we were... building something.  I think it's possible to be both content with what happened this season today, while also disappointed with the finish and expecting more going forward.  I think Wojo's seat rightfully gets hot if we regress next season.  I think this season (and if things shuffle out differently, with a different matchup, we potentially win a game or two this tournament) is a reasonable "normal" to expect- challenge for conf title, top 25 team throughout the majority of the year, as long as Marquette is regularly making runs at the tournament.  Wojo has improvements to make, but I think we can still get there with him.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 01:11:46 PM »
Rebuild is over. Could it have gone quicker? Who knows. But its over now and result #1 is a 5 seed with a first round exit. Not great, not bad.

Ohhh now I get it.  So this was actually year one of the Wojo era and the other 4 years didn’t count at all.  Got it.  Though I can’t say for sure, I’d estimate Wojo made around $6-8 million for those four years, which might as well be deleted from next year’s media guide because that’s how much they didn’t count.  Good work if you can get it!

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 01:22:31 PM »

My biggest concern about next year is the fact that this team has been exposed. I think how we finished the season has alot more to do with the fact that teams figured us out, than our guys being banged up.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 01:29:32 PM »
My biggest concern about next year is the fact that this team has been exposed. I think how we finished the season has alot more to do with the fact that teams figured us out, than our guys being banged up.

Same thing was said last year. We were exposed and losing Rowsey would kill us. We improved drastically.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 01:31:27 PM »

We will have to disagree about the banged up part.    Regarding the first part, you know what  helps when other teams make adjustments to what MU is trying to do?    Having options.     This year, taking Howard out meant putting Chartouny in.    Or running without a PG.   Or more minutes for Cain.    Next year, let us just pretend for the sake of argument that Sam and Markus are in early foul trouble and the other team is playing fast.    OK.   Next year, a team of Koby, Greg, Sacar, Bailey, and ThEd can be run out there.   If the opponents are don't have a true post in the game, Koby, Greg, Sacar, Bailey, and Joey.     Do you see how that might be better?    Hell, run that line up and make the other team adjust to it.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 01:46:09 PM »
Sure, Buzz left a dumpster fire.

i have consistently seen this sentiment. Buzz left behind:

Duane Wilson
Luke Fischer
juan anderson
JaJuan johnson
steve Taylor
Derrick wilson
Sandy Cohen
Todd Mayo
and Deonte Burton

Not the 27 Yankees, but not chopped liver either.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 01:59:50 PM »
As a point of reference our internet face of MU basketball , Mr. Dodds,  said it was a rebuild well into year 5 . He officially declared the rebuild over earlier this year.
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Reply/DoddsOnSports-Reply-128424520/

Dodd’s isn’t a poster here at Scoop to my knowledge.  I don’t know anyone here that claims we are still rebuilding, but I suppose if you post on both sites ( I don’t) then one could get confused and bring what they are saying over here.

Never cross the streams, we learned that in Ghostbusters.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 02:04:48 PM »

Duane Wilson
Luke Fischer
juan anderson
JaJuan johnson
steve Taylor
Derrick wilson
Sandy Cohen
Todd Mayo
and Deonte Burton

Agree, Buzz's team was down but no Dumpster Fire. He's a good coach.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 02:35:35 PM »

Iowa lost 5 of 6 (and 6 of 8) just like we did coming into the tournament, only they were getting clobbered and lost to teams like Rutgers by 14 on their home court. 

They got Cincy in the tournament, and won.   IN COLUMBUS OHIO, the mighty Mick Cronin couldn't win practically a home game.

MATCHUPS MATTER.  Crapshoot.   
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:48:33 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 02:37:50 PM »

Duane Wilson
Luke Fischer
juan anderson
JaJuan johnson
steve Taylor
Derrick wilson
Sandy Cohen
Todd Mayo
and Deonte Burton

Juan Anderson bust. Steve Taylor bust.  Sandy Cohen bust.  Todd Mayo...are you kidding me.  Deonte wanted out of Milwaukee.  Derrick Wilson...come on.

Please, get serious.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »
Juan Anderson bust. Steve Taylor bust.  Sandy Cohen bust.  Todd Mayo...are you kidding me.  Deonte wanted out of Milwaukee.  Derrick Wilson...come on.

Please, get serious.

Sandy Cohen is still playing in the post-season, btw.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 02:40:39 PM »
Iowa lost 5 of 6 (and 6 of 8) just like we did coming into the tournament, only they were getting clobbered and lost to teams like Rutgers by 14 on their home court. 

They got Cincy in the tournament, and won. 

MATCHUPS MATTER.  Crapshoot.
Facing a tough althletic team with the conference player of the year and down 13 before they blinked. Yep it’s a good thing Iowa got lucky the the right draw! Lmao cheeeeeks

Bad draw had nothing to do with getting rolled yesterday
No Finish Line

feedback