'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Herro go again  (Read 49729 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: Herro go again
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2017, 07:44:33 AM »
That's the issue I see.  Some UW-Oshkosh kid that dropped out after Sophomore year somehow identifies with Madison like it's 'his' school.
yeah...i have an under grad from uw-whitewater...yet to know anyone from whitewater who thinks they went to uw-madison.  many did enjoy hoping in their cars on weekends to go see a badger football game and hang out with friends attending uw-madison.  get over it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:47:45 AM by avid1010 »

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2017, 07:45:25 AM »
That's the issue I see.  Some UW-Oshkosh kid that dropped out after Sophomore year somehow identifies with Madison like it's 'his' school.

That makes it no different than many other state universities though.  Maybe not in Illinois, but Ohio State, Penn State, Alabama, Nebraska, etc.  When its the only Division 1 public university in the state, people are going to identify with it.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2017, 07:50:30 AM »
Sports didn't exist at UW before 1993.

Corrected.
GO WARRIORS!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »

That makes it no different than many other state universities though.  Maybe not in Illinois, but Ohio State, Penn State, Alabama, Nebraska, etc.  When its the only Division 1 public university in the state, people are going to identify with it.

I see your point especially in Nebraska and Bama but UWGB and UWM say hi. And there’s tons of public D1 universities in Ohio.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2017, 07:54:58 AM »
lost of MU fans that just come across as jealous of UW-Madison rather than just being proud of their own small quality university and not worrying about bucky so much.

Agreed, we have a large "little brother" problem.  Always demanding respect from Bucky (and ND previously) vs just going about our business.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2017, 07:55:04 AM »
lost of MU fans that just come across as jealous of UW-Madison rather than just being proud of their own small, quality university and not worrying about bucky so much.

Commas are very important!

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2017, 08:01:09 AM »
I see your point especially in Nebraska and Bama but UWGB and UWM say hi. And there’s tons of public D1 universities in Ohio.

I meant to add "football playing" but thank you for the correction.  The larger point is that large public universities have followings outside of their alumni base. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »

Um, Auburn?

You would be asking for a beatdown if you said your quote out loud anywhere south of Tuscaloosa.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2017, 08:16:04 AM »

I meant to add "football playing" but thank you for the correction.  The larger point is that large public universities have followings outside of their alumni base.

Ohio here...

Ohio University, Miami, Akron, Kent, Bowling Green, Toledo, Cincinnati, Youngstown State.

Your point is fairly solid. Your example wasn't.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2017, 08:19:34 AM »
yeah...i have an under grad from uw-whitewater...yet to know anyone from whitewater who thinks they went to uw-madison.  many did enjoy hoping in their cars on weekends to go see a badger football game and hang out with friends attending uw-madison.  get over it.

It happens in every state with the big state school.  I even cheer for UW football.  And btw, you guys at Whitewater have a helluva sports program.  ;D

My point is that these fans on the fringe are often less informed about the program and things like the commentary following events like this week are more likely.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2017, 08:19:53 AM »
Um, Auburn?

You would be asking for a beatdown if you said your quote out loud anywhere south of Tuscaloosa.

Auburn’s in Alabama? Huh things make more sense now
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2017, 08:25:34 AM »
There are two types of UW fans.

Group A, the season ticket holders for basketball, respect the hell out of Marquette.  They saw Bo's limitations, they miss the "old" Big Ten (without Nebraska, Rutgers, Penn State and even Maryland, because they got to play everybody twice). I heard from two different people that they showed the end of the Nova game at the Kohl Center during a timeout and people loudly cheered. A lot of these people grew up in the 70s and MU is their second favorite team.

Group B, is everyone else. These are people that "watch" basketball from January to March, after football season. They base their opinion off of one Marquette game that they watch 10 minutes of.  They assume all Marquette players are "thugs" based off of haircuts of the 10 minutes that they watch.  This group thinks Wisconsin and the Big 10 are the best at everything. They are fed by media members, like Tom Oates. Unfortunately, most fans are in Group B and those of us in Wisconsin work/ see Group B daily.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2017, 09:26:24 AM »

Exactly.  Just about everyone in Connecticut is a UConn fan, and obviously most didn't go there.  It's natural to root for your state school, unless they are a direct rival of the school you did attend.  I rooted for UConn before we joined the Big East and root for them again now that they've left.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
Isn’t this true? I mean I get that the nit was a bigger deal and non white players couldn’t play but without sounding wayyy too intense how would you counter that?

Technically, it is true... But it wasn't considered the National Championship game.  The NCAA didn't become the more prestigious tournament until the 50's and you could make the argument that the NCAA only became the 'law of the land' after the 1970 season where MU told the NCAA to get bent for trying to send our boys down to Texas instead of Dayton.  The year after the NCAA made new rules that said you had to accept the bid or not play in the post season.

8 team tournament, no shot clock, second year of the tournament, and a 39-34 victory.

weak sauce tournament

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »
Don't forget WWII going on, diluting the talent available to compete.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2017, 09:48:22 AM »

8 team tournament, no shot clock, second year of the tournament, and a 39-34 victory.

weak sauce tournament

I think it was the third year of the tournament with Oregon winning in 1939.  And Badger games can still be just as low scoring today.  ;D

But for the most part, you're spot on.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »

I used to work for a guy that got his degree from Whitewater.  In his bio, he always stated that he earned his degree from the "University of Wisconsin".  Period.
I'm sure he's not the only one.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
Technically, it is true... But it wasn't considered the National Championship game.  The NCAA didn't become the more prestigious tournament until the 50's and you could make the argument that the NCAA only became the 'law of the land' after the 1970 season where MU told the NCAA to get bent for trying to send our boys down to Texas instead of Dayton.  The year after the NCAA made new rules that said you had to accept the bid or not play in the post season.

weak sauce tournament
UW played the first two games at home in the Fieldhouse, then played Washington State in KC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941_NCAA_Basketball_Tournament

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
It happens in every state with the big state school. I even cheer for UW football.  And btw, you guys at Whitewater have a helluva sports program.  ;D

My point is that these fans on the fringe are often less informed about the program and things like the commentary following events like this week are more likely.

I live in a state where the state school is the only state school not even named after the state. I think most residents are grateful that most people don't know where Rutgers is located.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:05:09 AM by muwarrior69 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
I used to work for a guy that got his degree from Whitewater.  In his bio, he always stated that he earned his degree from the "University of Wisconsin".  Period.

My sister graduated from the University of Tennessee at Martin.  The diploma in her office says "University of Tennessee" in huge letters across the top.  And in tiny letters along the bottom, it says "granted at the Martin campus".
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »

A bunch of my cousins and aunts and uncles went to UW-Lacrosse, Whitwater and Oshkosh and all of them have University of Wisconsin on their LinkedIn pages. And yet they all sit back and call Marquette grads phony for giving preferential treatment to each other for jobs
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
Depending on what you major in Whitewater and Madison are equal.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
Ohio here...

Ohio University, Miami, Akron, Kent, Bowling Green, Toledo, Cincinnati, Youngstown State.

Your point is fairly solid. Your example wasn't.

I guess there is a slight difference between Ohio State and the rest of the programs you mentioned.

Could be the reason they identify with tOSU.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2017, 10:40:09 AM »
A bunch of my cousins and aunts and uncles went to UW-Lacrosse, Whitwater and Oshkosh and all of them have University of Wisconsin on their LinkedIn pages. And yet they all sit back and call Marquette grads phony for giving preferential treatment to each other for jobs

I think there are a lot of MU fans and Scoop users (including myself) who did not get their degree from Marquette.

I also got my degree from Whitewater and there are a lot of people that identify with UW Madison. But there were a good number of Marquette fans as well.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »
I live in a state where the state school is the only state school not even named after the state. I think most residents are grateful that most people don't know where Rutgers is located.

hey, wait a minute!
I'm proud of my MA from Rutgers!
er, I mean, William Paterson University, which is part of the NJ university system so ostensibly it's actually Rutgers which is the state university of New Jersey, but not really.

feedback