[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wilmington, NC cops fired  (Read 3337 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Wilmington, NC cops fired
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 05:03:09 PM »
So, Trump is no worse, no dumber, and no more dishonest than past president's - including some of the greatest men in US history?

My God, Lenny, what have you been smoking lately? Between this comment and your remarks regarding the noose in Wallace's garage, I worry for you. Stay in the shallow end of the pool for a while, please.

C’mon Jockey - you’re proving my point - cops are INDIVIDUALS, most good, some bad, a reflection of society, not on a pedestal above it. Lots of presidents (Trump certainly included) prove that presidents don’t belong on that pedestal either.

IOW, jerks in every professions. Expecting less is naive and unrealistic.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 05:07:44 PM »
And I love the "it's a form of bigotry" comment.  That is grade A comedy right there.

Glad I gave you a chuckle, Fluff. Of course, it doesn’t make it not true.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 05:13:23 PM »
Earth to Mike, Earth to Mike....

Cops, educators, priests, presidents - even journalists - are people, no different, no better, no worse, no smarter, no dumber, no more honest or dishonest than plumbers, dressmakers or NBA players. Holding them to different standards is not only naive beyond belief - it’s a form of bigotry.

We put cops in positions of “trust” not because they’re “better” than others. We do it because we have to put somebody (who’s willing to live with the danger, the second guessing and even the hatred that they incur) on the front line.

You can’t not get all of this, so my only conclusion is you put cops on phony pedestals so they’re even easier to knock down. It’s not fair.

Totally missed the point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 05:35:13 PM »
Cops are people. They are not immune from bias, incompetence, bullying (in my experience they’re well above the national average here). As with most professions, most cops are hard working and honest. But they’re a reflection of society, not on some level above the fray.

If this had been your point, I'd agree wholeheartedly.
But just because cops are human and subject to the same faults as all other humans doesn't mean we can't, or shouldn't, hold them to higher standards. We can and should and must. If we can't hold cops to a higher standard than a criminal, then there's no reason to have cops.
And every good cop would agree, by the way.

Oh, and I very much disagree with you about wanting to give others power. There are lots of people who fu--ing love the idea of surrendering power to a "strong" leader. It's how authoritarian governments have risen throughout history. It's why cults exist. It's a selling point for many of 45's supporters.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 07:15:06 PM »
If this had been your point, I'd agree wholeheartedly.
But just because cops are human and subject to the same faults as all other humans doesn't mean we can't, or shouldn't, hold them to higher standards. We can and should and must. If we can't hold cops to a higher standard than a criminal, then there's no reason to have cops.
And every good cop would agree, by the way.

Oh, and I very much disagree with you about wanting to give others power. There are lots of people who fu--ing love the idea of surrendering power to a "strong" leader. It's how authoritarian governments have risen throughout history. It's why cults exist. It's a selling point for many of 45's supporters.

Sorry if I was less than articulate. I just find it strange when people are surprised, angered, etc., when a police force mirrors society. Training, selectivity, etc. can mitigate but not change that.

I think all citizens are supposed to be held to the same standards. Once a cop (or anyone else) breaks that social contract he or she becomes a criminal. We no longer have the same standards for him or her.

In paragraph 2, I see your point. Of course there are always individuals for whom life is too much, who are attracted to a “strongman” or a cult. Until recently, I’ve never worried about that in the USA - thought the middle was strong enough to hold. Thought that those of us who gave awesome power to our institutions realized a functioning society was a delicate balance and would try to be good, somewhat non partisan watchdogs of said institutions. I’m not encouraged.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:39:11 PM by Lennys Tap »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2020, 07:24:31 PM »
Until recently, I’ve never worried about that in the USA - thought the middle was strong enough to hold. That those of us who gave awesome power to our institutions realized a functioning society was a delicate balance and would try to be good, somewhat non partisan watchdogs of said institutions. I’m not encouraged.

I feel similarly...It sure feels like the accountability of our institutions are gone/not trustworthy (police, judiciary, CDC, etc).  These are the things that hold us together and we are actively eroding them. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:49:23 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »