[Today at 04:38:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: More Conference Reshuffling  (Read 3970 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
More Conference Reshuffling
« on: June 11, 2020, 01:07:45 PM »
Robert Morris moving from the NEC to the Horizon in 2021, becoming its 12th member.  They will be only the second private institution after Detroit Mercy.  Expands the conference footprint to western PA, but not too far from Youngstown State, its current easternmost member.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: More Conference Reshuffling
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 01:36:58 PM »
Robert Morris moving from the NEC to the Horizon in 2021, becoming its 12th member.  They will be only the second private institution after Detroit Mercy.  Expands the conference footprint to western PA, but not too far from Youngstown State, its current easternmost member.

I didn't realize they were in the Pittsburgh area.  I always thought they were located in New Jersey for some reason.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 02:42:08 PM »

NJIT will reportedly replace Bob Morris in the NEC. That's where they have been trying to get into for years. The A-Sun made no sense geographically.

Morris has been the best basketball program in the NEC. Tops in budget, brand new 4000 seat areana They'll do well in the Horizon.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 03:09:35 PM »
NJIT will only be the second public university in the NEC - Central Connecticut is the other.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 06:14:19 PM »
NJIT will only be the second public university in the NEC - Central Connecticut is the other.

Correction - they are going to the America East. NEC was reported this morning since they are an affiliate member in other sports.

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 06:46:58 PM »
That’s better for them.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 07:45:49 AM »
Correction - they are going to the America East. NEC was reported this morning since they are an affiliate member in other sports.

That's a big step up for them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 09:23:24 AM »
Wow, NJIT went from Independent to Atlantic Sun to one of the best low major conferences in less than a decade. Good for them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 12:26:38 PM »
Wow, NJIT went from Independent to Atlantic Sun to one of the best low major conferences in less than a decade. Good for them.

Don't forget about their time in that powerhouse Great West Conference, a.k.a., the island of misfit toys.

I was at a game of theirs during their epic losing streak.  It was brutal. They had no business being D1. The school has since invested in facilities (great new gym opened up a few years ago). NJIT is a very well regarded school for engineering, top 100 overall in USNWR, they are in a recruiting hotbed and now, they'll be able to play fellow NE schools.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »
Don't forget about their time in that powerhouse Great West Conference, a.k.a., the island of misfit toys.

I was at a game of theirs during their epic losing streak.  It was brutal. They had no business being D1. The school has since invested in facilities (great new gym opened up a few years ago). NJIT is a very well regarded school for engineering, top 100 overall in USNWR, they are in a recruiting hotbed and now, they'll be able to play fellow NE schools.

God,  I forgot about that Frankenstein of a conference.  New Jersey school in a conference with west in the name.  And people think Creighton in the Big East is bad
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 01:33:20 PM »

It really is a great example of how a school with the proper resources and vision can make that move.  I had never heard of the place until a few years ago, and then assumed it was a school with a new name or something. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 02:18:48 PM »
It really is a great example of how a school with the proper resources and vision can make that move.  I had never heard of the place until a few years ago, and then assumed it was a school with a new name or something.

I had only known of them due to the super long losing streak about a decade ago. They’ve come a long ways in a few years.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 03:02:29 PM »

I only knew who they were when my first job out of Marquette was contact assembly company for medical devices.  They picked up work from a New Jersey based company and the engineer who used to visit us went to college at NJIT.  He was shocked I never heard of it.  He's the only person I've ever met who went there.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 06:05:41 PM »
I had only known of them due to the super long losing streak about a decade ago. They’ve come a long ways in a few years.

this is why some of these low major schools make the jump. Presbyterian's President said they saw value in being on ESPN's Bottom Line ticket when they made the jump. Highlights of Duke beating you by 30 are played on ESPN and that's more national exposure for the school than you'd have gotten in a year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 07:41:20 PM »
Bob Morris is a quality addition for the Horizon League. They can continue to build their program with this upgrade . 

Very impressive move by NJIT to America East as well.  Lots of attractive schools in that conference. Should really aid in their recruiting.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 10:34:03 PM »
I didn't realize they were in the Pittsburgh area.  I always thought they were located in New Jersey for some reason.

I had to laugh.  They also have a Chicago campus that plays NAIA football at a former high school field in Arlington Heights, IL.  They might play women’s volleyball, too.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:40:16 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 07:43:41 AM »
I had to laugh.  They also have a Chicago campus that plays NAIA football at a former high school field in Arlington Heights, IL.  They might play women’s volleyball, too.

Robert Morris in Chicago has no relationship with the one in Pittsburgh, and actually has been merged into Roosevelt University.

EDIT:  What is weird is I can't figure out why they named themselves after Robert Morris - or even if it is the same Robert Morris that the one in Pennsylvania is name after.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:37:26 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
Looks like St Thomas may get a waiver to skip over D2 straight to D1. Would join the non-scholarship Pioneer League for football and the Summit League for the rest.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 08:58:06 PM »
Looks like St Thomas may get a waiver to skip over D2 straight to D1. Would join the non-scholarship Pioneer League for football and the Summit League for the rest.

Wow - that would be a huge jump in one shot.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 09:40:40 PM »

Fast track to the Big East.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 04:36:33 AM »
Opinion piece.  Would the SEC really take a basketball only member?

5 Idea Conference Realignment Scenarios To Consider

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/06/14/ncaa-basketball-5-ideal-conference-realignment-scenarios-consider/amp/1/

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 08:09:22 AM »
Wow - that would be a huge jump in one shot.

On the football side, the Pioneer League will be not that much of a jump.  Non scholarship FCS football isn't that much different than D3, and a number of those teams have played D3 teams non-conference in the past.

I think there other programs will take awhile to get going.  Their basketball coach has won two national championships there, but he is also kind of a typical D3 coach in that its not his full time job.  He is also a tenured faculty member in the social work department.

Can he adjust to D1?  He might, but I think it will be tough.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2020, 08:59:39 AM »
Opinion piece.  Would the SEC really take a basketball only member?

5 Idea Conference Realignment Scenarios To Consider

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/06/14/ncaa-basketball-5-ideal-conference-realignment-scenarios-consider/amp/1/

Memphis to the SEC and Loyola to AAC seem like big stretches to me. Gonzaga as a basketball only member for the PAC 12 makes some sense but they've had forever to do it and it hasn't happened. New Mexico State to Mountain West makes sense basketball-wise, not sure football-wise. The one that makes the most sense to me is Vermont to A-10. If the A-10 was ever looking to expand (or replace lost members) I think Vermont makes a lot of sense. They've been the low-major version of a powerhouse since 2006 and fit right into the A-10's geographic footprint.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2020, 09:04:21 AM »
I have wondered if the pandemic could lead to some schools parting ways with football programs. Universities are hurting and looking for ways to cut costs. I can't imagine programs like Wake Forest, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc make any sort of profit on their football programs. If this stretches on long enough, would they consider cutting their football programs? If that were to happen, would they remain in their current conferences? Or would their conferences want to replace them with football schools and push them out? Could be interesting times ahead.
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2020, 03:21:32 PM »

On the football side, the Pioneer League will be not that much of a jump.  Non scholarship FCS football isn't that much different than D3, and a number of those teams have played D3 teams non-conference in the past.

I think there other programs will take awhile to get going.  Their basketball coach has won two national championships there, but he is also kind of a typical D3 coach in that its not his full time job.  He is also a tenured faculty member in the social work department.

Can he adjust to D1?  He might, but I think it will be tough.

Yeah, I just kinda ignore the football thing.... ;)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2020, 08:38:18 PM »
I have wondered if the pandemic could lead to some schools parting ways with football programs. Universities are hurting and looking for ways to cut costs. I can't imagine programs like Wake Forest, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc make any sort of profit on their football programs. If this stretches on long enough, would they consider cutting their football programs? If that were to happen, would they remain in their current conferences? Or would their conferences want to replace them with football schools and push them out? Could be interesting times ahead.

Not a chance.  Football is where those schools are still bringing in the most money, particularly for media rights. That's one of the primary reasons UConn isn't dropping to FCS - they still get more being in FBS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »
Very unlikely any P5 school will give up its football program. What could be possible is a re calibration across all schools of what it means to be a D1 sport . With D1 becoming more like D3 in terms of scholarships .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 10:38:21 PM »
I have wondered if the pandemic could lead to some schools parting ways with football programs. Universities are hurting and looking for ways to cut costs. I can't imagine programs like Wake Forest, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc make any sort of profit on their football programs.

Every SEC team received a $43 million payout from their TV deal last year.
Big 12 was $38.8 million.
ACC was $29.5 million.

I have a hard time imaging any of these schools walking away from that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 05:36:14 PM »
Every SEC team received a $43 million payout from their TV deal last year.
Big 12 was $38.8 million.
ACC was $29.5 million.

I have a hard time imaging any of these schools walking away from that.

When those schools athletic departments plead poverty, it’s laughable
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback