[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Georgia  (Read 21562 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Georgia
« Reply #200 on: June 23, 2020, 12:23:35 PM »
There is a New York Times Best Selling Book: "Strong Inside" which is a highly recommended biography of Perry Wallace. There is also a documentary film: "Triumph"

Vanderbilt renamed a portion of 25th Avenue South where Memorial Gym resides: "Perry Wallace Way" last year.

As mentioned, Perry Wallace was the first Black basketball player in the SEC in 1967, graduating in 1970. He was an All SEC performer and drafted by the NBA. An Electrical Engineering student he went to Columbia University Law School and was a Trial Attorney at the Department of Justice before becoming a long time Law Professor before his death a few years ago.

Progress has taken far too long, and there is a long way to go,  but it's never too late get started and keep it going.

I read Strong Inside and re-read this year. It is an unbelievably good book.

Perry Wallace is a personal hero to me. The dignity with which he led his life in the face of adversity is what we're called to do. He was an incredible man. As a youngster growing up in Nashville, I frequently saw him at Memorial Gym and he was an unbelievable talent who never got the respect he deserved. The high school that challenged Nashville Pearl to the first integrated basketball game in Tennessee was my high school (and Chick's too!), Nashville Father Ryan. I was taught by some of the people who made that game happen.

I only wish our paths had somehow crossed so I could explain how I felt about him.

That said, Vanderbilt is not blame-free in how they treated Perry Wallace. After the Tennessean article in 1970, Mr. Wallace left town and Vanderbilt did everything humanly possible to erase his legacy. Not until CM Newton became athletic director at Vanderbilt and someone asked, "who was Perry Wallace?" did anyone pay any attention. Mr. Newton invited Mr. Wallace back to campus and only then did the respect for Perry Wallace begin. His number is now retired by Vanderbilt.

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Georgia
« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2020, 01:34:44 PM »
I read Strong Inside and re-read this year. It is an unbelievably good book.

Perry Wallace is a personal hero to me. The dignity with which he led his life in the face of adversity is what we're called to do. He was an incredible man. As a youngster growing up in Nashville, I frequently saw him at Memorial Gym and he was an unbelievable talent who never got the respect he deserved. The high school that challenged Nashville Pearl to the first integrated basketball game in Tennessee was my high school (and Chick's too!), Nashville Father Ryan. I was taught by some of the people who made that game happen.

I only wish our paths had somehow crossed so I could explain how I felt about him.

That said, Vanderbilt is not blame-free in how they treated Perry Wallace. After the Tennessean article in 1970, Mr. Wallace left town and Vanderbilt did everything humanly possible to erase his legacy. Not until CM Newton became athletic director at Vanderbilt and someone asked, "who was Perry Wallace?" did anyone pay any attention. Mr. Newton invited Mr. Wallace back to campus and only then did the respect for Perry Wallace begin. His number is now retired by Vanderbilt.

Vanderbilt wasn't blame free then or now. But it's been a long while since Vandy has been a Regional White Anglo Saxon Protestant University if you will. Vandy still has a ways to go in a variety of ways but it has made a lot of progressive strides in more recent memory. And that will continue for future generations of alums as well. It's a difference place now.

CM Newton was certainly a step in a good direction before he left. But David Williams (as well as Nick Zeppos) is the biggest reason why Vanderbilt was able to eventually repair its relationship with Perry Wallace before both passed away in recent years. Williams became very close friends with both Wallace and his teammate Godfrey Dillard.

David Williams became a Law Professor at Vandy in 2000 and later Athletic Director, the first Black AD in the SEC. David is the reason for the Perry Wallace Basketball Scholarship, (there is also one in engineering) He is also the big reason for Wallace's jersey retirement and 50 year celebration, as well as Equality Weekend annually. It's considered Williams' biggest legacy at Vandy, and even at Williams' funeral, donations to the Perry Wallace scholarship were requested. Zeppos came to Vandy as a Law Professor in 1987, and later became Chancellor in 2007 before stepping down for health reasons recently. Williams arrived in 2000. He unexpectedly passed away the same day as his retirement party. Vandy has renamed its Rec Center after Williams.

It's very important to understand, and learn about Perry Wallace. It's also very important and valuable to also  create social change in addition to that, action at a place over time. Vandy has done a lot of that the past few decades and continues to do it moving forward. You can see it in the racial diversity of its non revenue sports teams as well.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 01:48:56 PM by shoothoops »