[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Coffee pods?  (Read 4180 times)

vogue65

• All American
Coffee pods?
« on: June 04, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
Just another coffee fad, or not?
How many coffee systems are there?
Espresso, drip, cold press, perk, cowboy, now we have pods.
What am I missing?
Is everything a fad? 

As I sit here on my deck drinking from my Farberware and my wife has here Eurooean Roast espresso, I'm thinking that the only fad that has lasted 2,000 to 4,000 years is the jeudo christian fad.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Coffee pods?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 08:29:52 AM »
You really are hung up on this aren't you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:33:25 AM »
Noticing you didn't include Islam in that last statement 🤔

Still seems to be some misconception over what a fad means.

I hope coffee pods are a fad and that they stop selling unique to this device pods as they're one time plastics that are terrible for the environment.

Are clothes a fad? How about walking on two feet? Eating cooked food? Using tools?

Fads are "this years fashion" "this years new must have cooking device" "Avocado toast is THE brunch item of the year" not so much things that have lasted years and years and years.

So when Keurig came out it was a fad. It was the new kitchen device of the year. It did not last.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:46:47 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 08:34:54 AM »
Crazy old uncle random thoughts have been a thing forever.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:42:32 AM »
You really are hung up on this aren't you.

You betcha. Better than talking about gun control, civilian control of the military or smokers.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »

Correct, intentionally, they are a johnny-come-lately fad.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 10:10:40 AM »
You betcha. Better than talking about gun control, civilian control of the military or smokers.
Hey Grandpa-
Did you take your Aricept today?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 10:20:43 AM »

Correct, intentionally, they are a johnny-come-lately fad.

Yeah I suppose 1400yrs is pretty new.

and Hinduism?
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 10:42:40 AM »

Still seems to be some misconception over what a fad means.

I hope coffee pods are a fad and that they stop selling unique to this device pods as they're one time plastics that are terrible for the environment.

Are clothes a fad? How about walking on two feet? Eating cooked food? Using tools?

Fads are "this years fashion" "this years new must have cooking device" "Avocado toast is THE brunch item of the year" not so much things that have lasted years and years and years.

So when Keurig came out it was a fad. It was the new kitchen device of the year. It did not last.
Nespresso pods are aluminum and recyclable. You get a recycling bag with a prepaid label when you buy

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 10:54:26 AM »

Galway- not addressing the underlying question here, but Islam started around 600 A.D. or so, so not in the 2000 to 4000 year window.

Now, Buddhism (500ish B.C.) and Hinduism (1,500 to 2,300 B.C) are another matter altogether! 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »
Nespresso pods are aluminum and recyclable. You get a recycling bag with a prepaid label when you buy

Interesting, do they work with a Lavazza machine?

Galway- not addressing the underlying question here, but Islam started around 600 A.D. or so, so not in the 2000 to 4000 year window.

Now, Buddhism (500ish B.C.) and Hinduism (1,500 to 2,300 B.C) are another matter altogether! 

Yeah was just trying to make a point that there's plenty of religions that have stood the test of time other than Jewish and Christian beliefs. It did not work.
Maigh Eo for Sam

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 11:28:47 AM »
LOL

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 07:26:01 AM »
Keurig is a fad?? 😂😂

Do u have any idea of the growth rate of revenue or its stock price over the last 15 years?  Maybe 15 years still falls under the “fad” definition, but to imply that Keurig or the single cup system is a fad is wholly off target.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 07:39:29 AM »
There has actually been a bit of backlash in recent years about the amount of waste K-cups produce.

You can buy little reusable pods that you can fill with your own coffee, but that defeats most of the purpose of having a Keurig machine.
Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 07:48:43 AM »
There has actually been a bit of backlash in recent years about the amount of waste K-cups produce.

You can buy little reusable pods that you can fill with your own coffee, but that defeats most of the purpose of having a Keurig machine.

I am a huge environmentalist and recycle about as much as possible.  The Kcups do bother me, but the convenience for a guy that drinks one cup of coffee a day and spends about 60 seconds in the kitchen before shoving off for the day is hard to beat. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 07:50:47 AM »
Keurig isn't a fad, but it isn't able to make decent coffee either.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 07:53:29 AM »
Wow I thought I got my mom her kurig machine a couple years ago, got to thinking and it was like 2006. Which again didn't seem that long ago till I realized im about 30. FML you guys win Kurig isn't a fad
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:06:27 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 07:56:43 AM »
I spring for the bamboo coffee filters for an extra $.50.  I really don't know how helpful that is but what the hell....
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 07:57:13 AM »
Wow I thought I got my mom her lyric machine a couple years ago, got to thinking and it was like 2006. Which again didn't seem that long ago till I realized it about 30. FML you guys win Kurig isn't a fad

Haha its been a minute.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 08:04:37 AM »

It takes a little bit longer and is slightly more work but does give you slightly more control of the outcome.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 10:30:22 AM »

I don't know anyone who actually owns one.  I've only encountered them in Airbnbs and corporate offices.  The coffee is never very good, even with filtered water.  I absolutely went through a coffee-snob phase in my mid-20s but now we rock the 10+ year old Mr. Coffee.  Works like a charm.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2020, 11:02:09 AM »
I don't know anyone who actually owns one.  I've only encountered them in Airbnbs and corporate offices.  The coffee is never very good, even with filtered water.  I absolutely went through a coffee-snob phase in my mid-20s but now we rock the 10+ year old Mr. Coffee.  Works like a charm.

Nothing wrong with a fresh ground cup that comes from a machine.

Personally, I love a pour over, but my glass carrafe cracked a couple of months ago, and I haven't gotten around to getting a new one.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2020, 04:19:42 PM »
Keurig isn't a fad, but it isn't able to make decent coffee either.

This.

It has been around long enough to be beyond the stage of being a “fad,” but things that sacrifice quality for convenience can last a long time. As an example, I give you microwave popcorn and vending machine sandwiches.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2020, 04:25:37 PM »

Personally, I love a pour over, but my glass carrafe cracked a couple of months ago, and I haven't gotten around to getting a new one.

What do you use for your pour over - Chemex, Hario, Kalita, something else? I have a Hario V60 that does a nice job.

My go-to is espresso drinks that I make on a dual boiler machine in my kitchen. I have had it for about seven years now and know my own taste well enough that I can usually make a better cappuccino (IMHO) than many good coffee places.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 04:36:28 PM »
Nespresso caramel pod with a splash of half and half. Keep it easy

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 05:59:48 PM »
Nespresso machine for lattes, cappuccino,  or espressos. French press for regular cup of Joe, Cona  coffee maker when I have the time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 08:01:00 PM »

What do you use for your pour over - Chemex, Hario, Kalita, something else? I have a Hario V60 that does a nice job.

My go-to is espresso drinks that I make on a dual boiler machine in my kitchen. I have had it for about seven years now and know my own taste well enough that I can usually make a better cappuccino (IMHO) than many good coffee places.

BODUM Pour Over Coffee Maker Grip, 8 Cup, 34 Ounce, Double Wall Cork

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 09:02:02 AM »
Filtron Cold Brewer to make coffee concentrate. 24 hour brew. Capresso Burr Grinder. Dark Matter beans. I can make either hot coffee or cold brew each morning then in under 90 seconds to my exact strength. Typically 30oz Yeti filled with ice with 5oz concentrate and 7 oz filtered cold water.

Cold Brew Extraction > Hot Brew Extraction any day of the week.
But I like to throw handfuls...

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2020, 09:22:14 AM »
Filtron Cold Brewer to make coffee concentrate. 24 hour brew. Capresso Burr Grinder. Dark Matter beans. I can make either hot coffee or cold brew each morning then in under 90 seconds to my exact strength. Typically 30oz Yeti filled with ice with 5oz concentrate and 7 oz filtered cold water.

Cold Brew Extraction > Hot Brew Extraction any day of the week.

You da man.  The grinder is a big deal.  The small grinders are inconsistent.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2020, 09:26:10 AM »

Hadn't had decent cappuccino in America.  In Italy they have serious barista contests.  They do tulips, roses, christmas trees, hearts, horses, castles, faces, really amazing.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2020, 10:20:45 AM »
Hadn't had decent cappuccino in America.  In Italy they have serious barista contests.  They do tulips, roses, christmas trees, hearts, horses, castles, faces, really amazing.

What tastes better, the tulip or the rose?
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2020, 05:25:18 PM »

Yeah, here in America you have to look pretty hard to find something really good. And even the best coffee places may have just one or two decent baristas, so it’s often luck of the draw.

When I have been in Italy, I have typically just gotten the straight espresso, because it is so well-made.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2020, 05:36:28 PM »
You da man.  The grinder is a big deal.  The small grinders are inconsistent.

Yep. You can have the best coffee maker and brewing technique in the world, but if you have an inconsistent grind you’re going to get crappy coffee. I use a Mazzer Mini, and the grind quality is very good.

One of these days, I’d love to splurge on a Caedo E37SD. 83 mm titanium burrs, and specifically designed for single dosing. I’ll just have to pack my bags before my wife sees how much I paid.  :D

https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/ceado-e37sd-espresso-grinder

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2020, 05:51:53 PM »

Yep. You can have the best coffee maker and brewing technique in the world, but if you have an inconsistent grind you’re going to get crappy coffee. I use a Mazzer Mini, and the grind quality is very good.

One of these days, I’d love to splurge on a Caedo E37SD. 83 mm titanium burrs, and specifically designed for single dosing. I’ll just have to pack my bags before my wife sees how much I paid.  :D

I thought my rancilio was an investment.  Good job. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2020, 09:02:06 PM »

For 2400 bucks, that thing better do laundry and give you a bj twice a week.