[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Lacrosse Recruit loses scholly over racist Instagram post.  (Read 23077 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: MU Lacrosse Recruit loses scholly over racist Instagram post.
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »
You are right of course. Though prior to social media you would learn that behavior or have to seek it out. With Twitter, Youtube, etc it gives voice to convert those that otherwise would not have been.

Just my take but I think social media is highly overrated.
Colin Kaepernick was all over the media and social media as well and was a lone voice in the wilderness.
I am proud of M.U., and the Jesuits.
The Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Berger, has ordered the removal from the force all Neo-Natzis.  Leadership starts at the top, not on social media.
Just my view, not trying to be argumentative. 
I understand the thinking that social media is all powerful.
As true leaders stand up we will see social media as a fad.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 10:37:10 AM »
This person will now just keep racists thoughts to themselves instead of blasting it on social media. While this may incur a change on their world-view I doubt it. They will play the victim and be mad that they got their offers rescinded only "because they posted it" and the true reason for pulling the offer is way over their heads. They will have time to change their prejudice but in my experience, racists only get mad because they got caught and there were repercussion, not because they are mad at what they said.

Understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree. I like it when racists, cruel people, sexists, criminals, etc, reveal their true selves. And I'm glad that this person now will not be associated with my alma mater.

I guess when I say I think all kids should have "Social Media" as a class, I was more referring to the idiotic - but not necessarily bigoted - things they post: pics of their private parts, bullying their peers, jokes they might not think are racist but actually are, drunken hijinx, comments supporting bad people, etc. And yes, in a moment of idiocy, bigoted thoughts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2020, 10:45:18 AM »
Different article said she followed it up with some other racial language

And apparently those who've combed through her prior postings found other racist remarks.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 10:51:16 AM »
Colin Kaepernick was all over the media and social media as well and was a lone voice in the wilderness.
The Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Berger, has ordered the removal from the force all Neo-Natzis.  Leadership starts at the top, not on social media.

Anyone who thinks social media is "just a fad," doesn't really understand social media.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 10:57:45 AM »
This person will now just keep racists thoughts to themselves instead of blasting it on social media. While this may incur a change on their world-view I doubt it. They will play the victim and be mad that they got their offers rescinded only "because they posted it" and the true reason for pulling the offer is way over their heads. They will have time to change their prejudice but in my experience, racists only get mad because they got caught and there were repercussion, not because they are mad at what they said.

Maybe.  I don't think being racist is either a checkbox of yes and no, but there are various degrees depending on your experience and your worldview.  She's 18.  Her worldview is undoubtedly primarily shaped by her parents and her upbringing.  As she goes off to college, enters the workforce, etc., her worldview may change as she gains relationships, intelligence and wisdom.

I'm 52.  My thoughts on topics like gender identity, gay marriage, etc. have evolved quite a bit over the last 30 years.  Just because she has racist thoughts (and posts about them) now doesn't mean that will be how she thinks in 5, 10 or 30 years from now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »

Maybe.  I don't think being racist is either a checkbox of yes and no, but there are various degrees depending on your experience and your worldview.  She's 18.  Her worldview is undoubtedly primarily shaped by her parents and her upbringing.  As she goes off to college, enters the workforce, etc., her worldview may change as she gains relationships, intelligence and wisdom.

I'm 52.  My thoughts on topics like gender identity, gay marriage, etc. have evolved quite a bit over the last 30 years.  Just because she has racist thoughts (and posts about them) now doesn't mean that will be how she thinks in 5, 10 or 30 years from now.

Dammit, pontiff, I'm starting to agree with you more and more.

Thanks for staying rational with so many others going off the deep end.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2020, 11:24:01 AM »

Extremely reasonable, and I agree.

I'm not sad that our alma mater gave her the boot because we need to draw the line somewhere, but I'm not rooting for her life to be ruined. I've always been a huge advocate of second chances (and even third and fourth chances, depending upon the severity of what we're talking about). I hope her views evolve, just as you say.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2020, 11:39:09 AM »

I'm not sad that our alma mater gave her the boot because we need to draw the line somewhere, but I'm not rooting for her life to be ruined. I've always been a huge advocate of second chances (and even third and fourth chances, depending upon the severity of what we're talking about). I hope her views evolve, just as you say.

I get why MU had to do what they did. But for me, living on campus was instrumental in expanding what had been a very narrow worldview. You encounter so many varying viewpoints and backgrounds, and see the effects of the injustices on people of color every day. That type of experience could have really helped her.

It's a sad to see someone so young have that type of mindset. Hopefully she finds a situation where she can grow from it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2020, 11:49:34 AM »

Wow.  I had this conversation with my teenage daughters last night.  They were referencing what some other teenager they knew said (similar to the MU Lacrosse player here).  And I reminded them that teenagers say and do a lot of stupid crap because really they don't understand what is being said or know any better.  Indicated that I probably made equally dumb statements as a teenager because I honestly didn't know what it meant that I was saying.  Turned 50 last year and thank God my thoughts evolved also.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »

I'm not trying to be argumentative either. It is known that YouTube's algorithm actually sends you towards right leaning voices and if you keep going eventually alt right and then farther and farther you go till your in racist land. Fact check: it used to but in 2019 they implemented a change to the system. Twitter gives voices to people who otherwise didn't and Facebook allows virtual congregation of these views.

Colin was hardly alone, he's the only one that was made an example of but loads of other kneeled as well.

I am proud of our university's action on this especially as they've blundered so many others during my 11yrs affiliated with MU.

Leadership does start at the top for adults. Not exactly with teenagers, they're much more easily swayed by peers and social media.

Regarding social media, I could understand that back in 2004 with MySpace and Friendster but it's been 16yrs and it's exploded and changed everything from marketing, data collection, gaming, etc etc etc. unfortunately it's not a fad anymore than saying the internet was a fad. That being said I deleted all social media outside of snapchat and it feels great.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 02:28:22 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2020, 12:19:04 PM »
I'm not trying to be argumentative either. It is known that YouTube's algorithm actually sends you towards right leaning voices and if you keep going eventually alt right and then farther and farther you go till your in racist land. Twitter gives voices to people who otherwise didn't and Facebook allows virtual congregation of these views.

Source?  Google is right leaning? Or google wants people to "find" the alt-right?  (For you literal types, you know google owns youtube.)

People need to go for a walk or something.  The clouds of stupidity are getting thick in the folks' basement.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2020, 12:19:04 PM »

I think Marquette made the right choice.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2020, 12:47:26 PM »
She might be a good fit for that school in Madison.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2020, 12:53:09 PM »
Source?  Google is right leaning? Or google wants people to "find" the alt-right?  (For you literal types, you know google owns youtube.)

People need to go for a walk or something.  The clouds of stupidity are getting thick in the folks' basement.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.technologyreview.com/2020/01/29/276000/a-study-of-youtube-comments-shows-how-its-turning-people-onto-the-alt-right/amp/

https://datasociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/DS_Alternative_Influence.pdf

https://medium.com/@MediaManipulation/unite-the-right-how-youtubes-recommendation-algorithm-connects-the-u-s-far-right-9f1387ccfabd

What I did not know was that they put in a change last year to prevent the system from recommending these videos

https://digitalsocialcontract.net/youtube-stops-recommending-alt-right-videos-6523ed6af60f?gi=3a04aa8ede3c

So in essence I was correct circa 2018 which is when I was in grad school learning about data ethics. Just didn't know about the change.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2020, 01:11:21 PM »

Well said.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »

Anyone who thinks social media is "just a fad," doesn't really understand social media.

Or hasn't seen enough fads come and go.   It is great for high school girls, but a waste of time for adults.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2020, 02:26:49 PM »
I'm not trying to be argumentative either. It is known that YouTube's algorithm actually sends you towards right leaning voices and if you keep going eventually alt right and then farther and farther you go till your in racist land. Twitter gives voices to people who otherwise didn't and Facebook allows virtual congregation of these views.

Colin was hardly alone, he's the only one that was made an example of but loads of other kneeled as well.

I am proud of our university's action on this especially as they've blundered so many others during my 11yrs affiliated with MU.

Leadership does start at the top for adults. Not exactly with teenagers, they're much more easily swayed by peers and social media.

Regarding social media, I could understand that back in 2004 with MySpace and Friendster but it's been 16yrs and it's exploded and changed everything from marketing, data collection, gaming, etc etc etc. unfortunately it's not a fad anymore than saying the internet was a fad. That being said I deleted all social media outside of snapchat and it feels great.

So our country is being run by teenagers?   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »

Too easy of a set up for a joke
Maigh Eo for Sam

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2020, 02:34:11 PM »

The source for a lot of my information is, "The Defense News Early Bird Brief".
It is a news complier.  It gives a wide prospective of what is going on.  To be a few weeks ahead of the news, I also recommend the Christian Science Monitor.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2020, 02:34:56 PM »
Lots of people think they have all the answers at 18.   They are usually wrong.   I hope this young person is able to outgrow their youthful mistakes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2020, 02:49:30 PM »
Lots of people think they have all the answers at 18.   They are usually wrong.   I hope this young person is able to outgrow their youthful mistakes.

Edward Bernays, father of Public Relations, from a Journalism course at M.U..

Now we live in a world of high tec. Public Information, run by kids and nefarious dark sites.

Nothing new under the sun except the speed of rumors.

Back in the day we had gossip columnists, now everyone can become a columnist on social media.
When people realize the waste of time social media demands it will fade as just another fad.
In the meantime enjoy wasting your time.

Today I called a former coworker and had a great one on one phone conversation, almost like being in person. 
It can't compare with social media with strangers.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2020, 02:52:09 PM »
Or hasn't seen enough fads come and go.   It is great for high school girls, but a waste of time for adults.

Do you ever just admit you aren’t informed or experienced enough in something and let it go? Or just stick to being the end all be all condescending knowledge source?

Pretending that social media is a pet rock or the Atkins diet is just pure willful ignorance of something that has been around for nearly 20 years and continues to develop, grow, and impact the way people consume news, information, video clips, and interact with one another. It has its ugly points and perspective needs to be taken, but calling it a fad is laughable.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2020, 03:00:16 PM »

As Wags says, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how people consume and share information these days.  I mean, how do you think people push out breaking news these days?  Email?  TV?  Smoke signals?

No, it almost always goes out via Twitter.  And Facebook.  And Instagram.  And it quickly is shared and talked about long before it gets up onto a website or onto traditional media like television.  And hours before it goes out in print anywhere.

Saying that it's a fad, or best left for teenage girls, is a woefully ignorant statement.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2020, 03:07:09 PM »
Do you ever just admit you aren’t informed or experienced enough in something and let it go? Or just stick to being the end all be all condescending knowledge source?

Pretending that social media is a pet rock or the Atkins diet is just pure willful ignorance of something that has been around for nearly 20 years and continues to develop, grow, and impact the way people consume news, information, video clips, and interact with one another. It has its ugly points and perspective needs to be taken, but calling it a fad is laughable.

Who are you to tell me to "let it go"?  Why don't you let it go?

I have thought about being condescending.   

You are welcome to your experiences and body of knowledge, and I'm welcome to mine.   Am I condesending or are some people just trying to control others?  Mocking, shunning, intimidating, I've seen it all. 

I have no problem with people believing whatever they want, I call it tolerance.   Is tolerance now classified as condescending?

What do I do with people who have limited experiences, education, inteligence, or knowledge?   What do I do with people who lack creativity and curiosity? 

You are not the first or only person to have problems with me.  I've been called many things, trouble maker, know it all,
and now, thanks to you, condesending.  It is what it is, get over it.

feedback