'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] White Team Pulls Away For 66-63 Double OT Win In Scrimmage  (Read 9683 times)

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
Any Scoopers present who would care to enlighten the rest of us watching game 7?

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
Did todd mayo play in the scrimmage?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »
Saw a picture of the scrimmage and todd had a shirt on and I didn't hear any updates on him.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Did todd mayo play in the scrimmage?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »
MarkMiller said that he tweaked the elbow that he injured at Madness.  He could have played if a real game.

GoMarquetteSays

White Team Pulls Away For 66-63 Double OT Win In Scrimmage

The Marquette University men's basketball team hosted the annual Blue & Gold Fund Fish Fry/Haunted Hoops Friday night at Alumni Memorial Union and the Al McGuire Center.

http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102811aaa.html

bilsu

• All American
Last years weak free-throw shooters (Otule, Cadougan & Blue) made 27 out of 28 free throws..

marqfan22

• Team Captain
only 500 fans attended??? where's everyone else? was it free?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
500 is about what it is every year.    Yes, it's free. 

Not sure why more don't come out.  It's a good, raw look at the team without all the razzmatazz of Madness.

PaintTouches

• All American
Saw some real good stuff from Cadougan, Otule and J Wilson. Those three impressed me most in that order.

Great: Junior took it to the paint at will and got to the line over and over again going 10-10 from the stripe. It will be hard to take him off the court. Otule dominated Gardner down low and also impressed at the FT line. GoMarquette had him with 22, we had him with 17, but no matter he still was a force. J Wilson gave us a taste of his tantalizing talents hitting threes, driving, skying for boards and playing great defense on Crowder.

Good: DJO looked to be on a different level near the end of the first half, draining jumpers and making mincemeat of any defender. He didn't push the issue much though, and missed the potential game winner in regulation. Jamail Jones has such a pretty shot, makes you feel its going in ever time. He is a good complement to a drive from Junior or DJO because he can hot the open 3. His defense is very poor though and he kept losing his man. Juan Anderson, on the other hand was great on defense, grabbing 8 boards. I forsee Buzz using these two i varying situations, going with Jones when he needs points and Juan when he needs a stop. I think I would also put Gardner in this category. He put a lot of moves on Otule but didn't always finish them. His court vision is phenomenal though. Best passing big man I've seen in the last 8 years at MU.

Average: Vander was aggressive and put in a 13 points but his shot still makes me cringe. A slashing Vander is a very potent weapon though, especially if he hits his freebies. Jake Thomas didn't see major minutes but watching him warm up he hit about 19 of 20 threes. He's a ridiculously good shooter.

Poor: Crowder really disappointed tonight. Missed bunnies, forced the issue and went 0-5 from three, only scoring 9 points. MU needs a lot more from him. As for D Wilson, there was some split opinions amongst us. Personally, he seemed slow and barely created offense. He was also taken off Junior down the stretch as DJO replaced him. He's a freshman so he will grow, but it makes the question of who backs up Cadougan a bit more shaky.

DNP: Todd Mayo banged his arm that he had tweaked at Madness and didn't see the floor. He was warming up with the team so it doesn't seem serious.

Overall, lots of good ball movement and a big emphasis on playing through the post. Very excited for tipoff in two weeks. 

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
Great recap mex, thanks!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
500 is about what it is every year.    Yes, it's free. 

Not sure why more don't come out.  It's a good, raw look at the team without all the razzmatazz of Madness.
I'll tell you why more don't come out. MU only talks about a Fish Fry dinner for the blue and gold fund and trick or trick for the kids. I go to everything pro-am, mu madness and every home game. I didn't know MU did a free scrimmage for the fans. I first saw it on cbs sportline.com this week.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
I'll tell you why more don't come out. MU only talks about a Fish Fry dinner for the blue and gold fund and trick or trick for the kids. I go to everything pro-am, mu madness and every home game. I didn't know MU did a free scrimmage for the fans. I first saw it on cbs sportline.com this week.

Yeah, I never knew there was a scrimmage at Hauted Hoops.  I thought it was a Fish Fry, trick or treat and a meet and greet with the coaches and players.  Talk about burying the lead by the AD.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member

Yeah, I never knew there was a scrimmage at Hauted Hoops.  I thought it was a Fish Fry, trick or treat and a meet and greet with the coaches and players.  Talk about burying the lead by the AD.

+1, I'll definitely go next year.  I thought it was all stuff for kids.

MUMac

• All American

Yeah, I never knew there was a scrimmage at Hauted Hoops.  I thought it was a Fish Fry, trick or treat and a meet and greet with the coaches and players.  Talk about burying the lead by the AD.

I have not been able to attend due to conflicts, but for the past several years KNEW it included a scrimmage.  What part of this release is unclear to all who did not know there was a scrimmage?  http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/093010aab.html

Heck, look at the Scoop Wiki page:  http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/haunted_hoops

Maybe it is not the AD that has their heads in the sand.   ;)

People will complain about anything around here.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:54:50 AM by MUMac »

AZWarrior

• All American
Saw some real good stuff from Cadougan, Otule and J Wilson. Those three impressed me most in that order.

Thanks much for the excellent re-cap.  Its especially encouraging to know that J Wilson is playing up to his expectations.  I pretty much know what to expect from the other returning players and now I'm feeling real good re J Wilson.  A high level of play from him will be necessary if we are to be a top 20 team.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
They've been doing the fish fry/scrimmage for many years .. used to have the scrimmage at the Old Gym.   Maybe 6 years ago, they added the kids stuff and added the Haunted Hoops name.

It's aimed at the Blue & Gold donors, with invites going out in the mail, etc.   I wouldn't call it a private affair, but it is aimed at being a special event for donors, so they don't publicize it much.

I usually take a few minutes of video and post it each year, so no one can be that mystified there's a real scrimmage to be seen.   Will post something this weekend.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
I can't speak for the others, but when MU ever says blue & gold fund, that means they want your money$$$$$$ So, when you see the word "registration form" you stop reading.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Overall, lots of good ball movement and a big emphasis on playing through the post. Very excited for tipoff in two weeks.

Great summary, pux...thanks for sharing  :)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.

Great: Junior took it to the paint at will and got to the line over and over again going 10-10 from the stripe. It will be hard to take him off the court. Otule dominated Gardner down low and also impressed at the FT line. GoMarquette had him with 22, we had him with 17, but no matter he still was a force. J Wilson gave us a taste of his tantalizing talents hitting threes, driving, skying for boards and playing great defense on Crowder.

Good: DJO looked to be on a different level near the end of the first half, draining jumpers and making mincemeat of any defender. He didn't push the issue much though, and missed the potential game winner in regulation. Jamail Jones has such a pretty shot, makes you feel its going in ever time. He is a good complement to a drive from Junior or DJO because he can hot the open 3. His defense is very poor though and he kept losing his man. Juan Anderson, on the other hand was great on defense, grabbing 8 boards. I forsee Buzz using these two i varying situations, going with Jones when he needs points and Juan when he needs a stop. I think I would also put Gardner in this category. He put a lot of moves on Otule but didn't always finish them. His court vision is phenomenal though. Best passing big man I've seen in the last 8 years at MU.

Average: Vander was aggressive and put in a 13 points but his shot still makes me cringe. A slashing Vander is a very potent weapon though, especially if he hits his freebies. Jake Thomas didn't see major minutes but watching him warm up he hit about 19 of 20 threes. He's a ridiculously good shooter.

Poor: Crowder really disappointed tonight. Missed bunnies, forced the issue and went 0-5 from three, only scoring 9 points. MU needs a lot more from him. As for D Wilson, there was some split opinions amongst us. Personally, he seemed slow and barely created offense. He was also taken off Junior down the stretch as DJO replaced him. He's a freshman so he will grow, but it makes the question of who backs up Cadougan a bit more shaky.

DNP: Todd Mayo banged his arm that he had tweaked at Madness and didn't see the floor. He was warming up with the team so it doesn't seem serious.

Some additional things I noticed:

- I don't think they ever went under 10sec. in the shot clock until the end of game situations. I don't know if this is by design, or if the guys were just enjoying getting up and down.

- Junior looked great, which is huge. D. Wilson looked ok, but if he is really the defensive player Buzz has claimed, I think it means Junior could have a great year.

- Vander looked good at everything except for shooting. He held his own against DJO most of the night. If he can be serviceable with his jumper, he's going to be good. If he ever gets a good jumper, he could be all-conf.

- Jamil Wilson is the best post entry passer I have seen. I know it sounds silly, but he has long arms and a nice touch. He can reach out and bounce it around anybody. Nice player on the wing, and could also play high post against a 2-3 zone. He and gardner or even he and jae playing high/low against a zone would be very nice.

- Jae looked bad, but I have to assume it was an off night.

- Gardner is a good role player and has some tricky moves... but I'm not quite as high on his as some others. He never shot a 3, or any sort of jumper for that matter. A lot of spinning and awkward hook shots in the lane. He made several of them however, so that is not a bad shot. Perfect back-up center.

- Otule looked good, but still dropped some passes and some balls he should have had. With this said, he has built himself into a very nice D1 center. Big, strong, mobile, sharp elbows. Better than serviceable.

- Jamail has an awesome flat-top fade that looks even better in person. Nice stroke, but didn't really stand out.

- Juan Anderson looked comfortable. Made a couple of nice plays and had no noticeable omissions/errors.

- Jake Thomas has good size, and can shoot it. He can shoot it at a big east level and big east speed. His minutes will solely be determined by his ability to defend. I think he will play 10+min per game next year. 

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
Several recruits were there, according to Jim Ganzer, including Duane Wilson, Tommy Hamilton, and Tyler Jackson.

Looks like we're going after point guards and big men, pretty much as expected.

GGGG

• All American
- Jake Thomas has good size, and can shoot it. He can shoot it at a big east level and big east speed. His minutes will solely be determined by his ability to defend. I think he will play 10+min per game next year. 

Based on the fact that he went 1-2 with three turnovers in 13 minutes of play???

GGGG

• All American
I have not been able to attend due to conflicts, but for the past several years KNEW it included a scrimmage.  What part of this release is unclear to all who did not know there was a scrimmage?  http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/093010aab.html

Heck, look at the Scoop Wiki page:  http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/haunted_hoops

Maybe it is not the AD that has their heads in the sand.   ;)

People will complain about anything around here.

I work in public relations for a university...I do this for a living.  When I see "Blue & Gold Fish Fry / Haunted Hoops," why am I to assume it is a scrimmage?  If you want people to attend the scrimmage, call it "Haunted Hoops Scrimmage."  I'm not going to bother reading further under the current title. 

They buried the lead.  If they want more than 500 people there, they need to market it as such.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
Right.  They don't want more than xxx people there.  Thus, the marketing effort is targeted.

Anyhow .. here are some clips:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WgTAVXtCwXs?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WgTAVXtCwXs?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WatXs8eoKMA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WatXs8eoKMA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jfr2QI5IBTk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Jfr2QI5IBTk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

GGGG

• All American
Thank you for posting these clips.  Man is Anderson LOONNGGG...if he can use that length, he will play no matter the fact that he needs more bulk.

mviale

• All American
We have so much talent. Cant wait to blow away these football schools
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Based on the fact that he went 1-2 with three turnovers in 13 minutes of play???

Good point.

I was there early watching him shoot around, which gave me a good indication of his stroke.

Once the scrimmage started, he didn't seem out of place or overwhelmed at all, which leads me to the conclusion that he could be a nice spot of shooter/role player next year.