Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A few thoughts on "what's wrong"  (Read 4079 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
A few thoughts on "what's wrong"
« on: March 06, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »
Maybe this is premature, but I've been mulling over what's gone wrong this season. Here's a few thoughts...

Point Guard Play

I'm not going with the obvious "Buycks isn't a point" argument. We know Buycks isn't a point, it's a tried and tired argument. I think the problem this year is more wide-reaching than that. We haven't had particularly smart point guard play from anyone, including Cadougan. My biggest bugaboo is when our point tries to force a pass to Otule when he's not calling for it. Anyone watching this team can see that when Otule's calling for the ball and gets it, he usually catches it in good post position and gets off a high percentage shot. But when he's not ready for the ball and it's forced in there, it almost always results in a turnover. It baffles me every time either Buycks or Cadougan try to force a ball to Otule. How have we not learned this lesson?

Beating the Press

This is a point problem that was less of an issue last year because of the Cooby/Acker combo, but it's more than that. When we are pressed, we don't take advantage. Try the home run pass, push the tempo. The problem with the press is that you can exploit it for easy points. Sure, sometimes you'll turn the ball over, but that's better than losing 8 seconds off the shot clock every time because everybody seems to think that when you are pressed you can't move with the ball. Why is it when another team puts the press on, the first man to get the ball almost always stops his dribble, even when there's a lane open to run. Baffling.

Three-point shooting

We haven't been a bad three-point team (131st in the nation), despite how it feels. But DJO's shooting is down and there really hasn't been a reliable guy to help ease his load. Buycks, Crowder, and Butler can all hit the three when called upon, but as a team we're streaky and often pass up the initial open look in exchange for paint touches. Our refusal to take the three often leads to forced shots late in the clock. The problem isn't just the accuracy, but the willingness to shoot. I hope that next year we see some willingness from Crowder, Wilson, or even someone like Todd Mayo (Cooby's freshman year redux, anyone?). DJO is a good shooter, but can't be the only option.

Rebounding

We've been okay on the offensive glass, but really need to pick it up on the defensive end. We allow far too many offensive boards. Hopefully having an athlete like Wilson in the lineup will help. If he doesn't, I think we need more aggressiveness from Otule, Crowder, and Blue. Vander may not start, but he's a good rebounding guard. More time from Williams off the bench could also help, he's a solid rebounder. But just as important in regards to our offensive boards is our ability to hit the no-footer. How many times have we gotten 2-3 offensive boards and still came up empty? Hopefully another year from Gardner will help improve that a bit.

I'm sure there's more to write about, I'm sure there's plenty of problems we can come up with, and I'm sure the time is better to talk about this in about a month when the season is said and done. But it was on my mind now, so there you go.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muarmy81

• All American
Re: A few thoughts on "what's wrong"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
It's Defense.

If we fall behind by more than 3 possessions we have very little chance of winning because we can't get stops.  We give up too many easy baskets and when we do get the other team to take a tough shot we fail to rebound.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
It's Defense.

If we fall behind by more than 3 possessions we have very little chance of winning because we can't get stops.  We give up too many easy baskets and when we do get the other team to take a tough shot we fail to rebound.

Agreed, the offense is fine, but its really hard to win a game when you can't grab a defensive rebound. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »
It's Defense.

As much as I would like to say it is defense, I can't.  If you look at our losses, we have gone huge stretches without scoring.  In many of those we have held our opponents to stretches without scoring.  Also MU isn't giving up an abnormal about of points.

Everyone points out the second half collapses and in each one MU had a 10 point lead and lost because we had a stretch of 5+ minutes without a basket.  That can't be blamed on the defense.

Though the defense is a problem, the ability to score consistently is an equal problem.  

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:58:20 PM »
The problem is LOFT, lack of f*ckin' talent. This team, as presently constituted, lacks the talent necessary to piss with the big boys of NCAA basketball.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Eye

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:08:46 PM »
Well stated 4ever.
GO WARRIORS!

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:14:57 PM »
The problem is LOFT, lack of f*ckin' talent. This team, as presently constituted, lacks the talent necessary to piss with the big boys of NCAA basketball.
Really? Are Cuse, ND, WVU, and UCONN big boys? And I think we came up just short on several other pissing matches with big boys. It's been a bad week, let's not jump ship and start throwing out hyperbole.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 06:41:01 AM »
C'mon, the scoop board is ALL about jumping ship and throwing around hyperbole.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:09 AM »
How dare you say it is lack of talent. That could be considred as a criticism of our recruiting efforts.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:30:56 AM »
I think we have talent, just not the right mix.  We've got high quality wings galore, but lack top notch PG and PF/C types, which you really need.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:34:26 AM »
I think we have talent, just not the right mix.  We've got high quality wings galore, but lack top notch PG and PF/C types, which you really need.
How dare you say that. That would be criticism of our recruiting where we feature/focus on switchable wings.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 07:39:39 AM »
Buzz has said he wants 3 pg's, 3 bigs, and the rest switchables.   We don't have that this year.   Our second best 3 pt shooter doesn't see the floor because he doesn't play d or value possessions well enough.     Transitional year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:45:01 AM »
As much as I would like to say it is defense, I can't. 

Oh come on.  We have the 14th most efficient offense in the country and the 3rd most efficient in the BE.  We have the 4th least efficient defense in the BE and just gave up 85 points to Seton Hall. 

The defense is *definately* the problem. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:33 AM »
Buzz has said he wants 3 pg's, 3 bigs, and the rest switchables.   We don't have that this year.   Our second best 3 pt shooter doesn't see the floor because he doesn't play d or value possessions well enough.     Transitional year.

I think we're still at least 2 years from really seeing what Buzz wants on the court. Smith's departure means we will need to use our last schollie (if we get Mayo) on either a point guard or a big and ignore the need for a third of the other. Next year, we have a switchable signed up in Ferguson and only one other scholarship to use, possibly on Nolan or Stokes.

That's why I think we need to give Buzz another 2-3 years before we really start panicking. He had to do so much work with JUCOs and balancing classes over the past 3 seasons just to keep us afloat, and has done that pretty well, that he should also have time to work with the product of his efforts.

It's not like we've fallen to the level of DePaul or Providence, we're still relevant and still on the right side of the bubble.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »
For some reason this team has seldom played with confidence and swagger.  Everything on both offense and defense seems to be tenative, like they are not really sure if they are doing the right thing.  Watch the way other teams are playing now that it is March.  They leave the ball for a trailer and he goes right up and hits the shot no hesitation, they throw it down low and that guy either shoots right away or immediately hits the open guy for an outside shot.  On defense they attack.  Look at the way Cinc attacked us.  Our guys move so slow while other teams are chrisp at this time of the year.  Honestly the last time we executed well as a team against a decent opponent was Louisville.  That is why I feel something was collectively left on that court.  Now Jimmy seems to be the only one playing like he is sure of himself.  Don't know if that is coaching or talent but for all you guys running the numbers about getting into the NCAA what gives you any confidence this team could beat an NCAA opponent??   An overtime win against a reeling and badly coached UCONN team?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 10:14:12 AM »
We played pretty well against a down Syracuse team too, but I agree with you NotAnAlum, it's almost as if we are still processing information at times instead of simply playing.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »
We played pretty well against a down Syracuse team too, but I agree with you NotAnAlum, it's almost as if we are still processing information at times instead of simply playing.

We have been used to having experienced PG play (spoiled may be a better word). 

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
Completely agree. It starts and ends w/our PG play, or lack there of it. Yes, the D has been brutal. Everyone knows that. But we mis Acker and David so much this year. They could hit shots, distribute the ball, drive-and-kick, and do it without turnovers. We don't have that out of Junior or Vander yet. I think Vander looks more promising than Jr, but that's just me.

Remember the post-Final Four year. Wade left unexpectadly and left Crean w/a senior Diener and Novak and that was it. We had no other quality guards. That year was a transition year that people swept under the rug since nobody foresaw Wade leaving. Crean himself admitted he f'd up by not having a stable of guards ready to play.

Between Smith leaving and Junior's injury last year, I think those two things really, really screwed us over this season. Add to it Vander struggling more than anyone thought and you see what happens. Buycks is a chucker and always will be one. DJO is like Vinnie Johnson on this team - streaky. There's your guards. That's why we are 9-9.

As for not having the horses to hang w/the big boys - UConn, us, 'Nova were all 9-9. Nova has lost four straight. So, do they suck now? Do we suck? Does UConn suck? We are in a powerhouse conference. There can only be one team that wins it. It's gonna be like this every year. If 9-9 is a "down" year for us, well sign me up cuz I'll take it every time.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
Tim and I have had this discussion many times.  He also feels that the team has a PG issue.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2011/02/problems-at-point.html

My counter argument is that, while he may be right, I don't think a better PG makes Marquette noticeably better unless the defense is fixed. 

The PG issue makes the offense inconsistent.  Unfortunately, the defense is both consistent and bad.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
We have been used to having experienced PG play (spoiled may be a better word).  
Good teams have good point guards. But if we look at our stats, the most glaring problem is defense. We're not getting the turnovers we did earlier against non BE teams. We give up far too many uncontested layups. And we're allowing too many open 3s. Our defense, including the centers, play defense beyond the 3 circle and we're constantly getting beaten off the dribble to cause the defense to count on help too often. If we're not turning the ball over up top then it seems foolish to not pack in a little bit more. And when you add Buzz's philosophy of avoiding fouls, our defense is spread to wide for quality help to become effective. I get that we're trying to speed up the game, but the end result hasn't justified the risk in defending beyond the 3. We're not trapping up there so the likelihood of a turnover is insignificant.

In our last 7 games we've only won the TO battle once, versus Conn. For the season our 2 point guards, Buycks and Cadougan have had 45 more turnovers than Acker and Cubes had last year. Those numbers speak to what has been our problem this year.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:24:27 AM by DaCoach »
Players win awards but teams win championships

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
My counter argument is that, while he may be right, I don't think a better PG makes Marquette noticeably better unless the defense is fixed. 

A PG who can defend the opposition PG would go a long way toward fixing our defensive problems, too.  The opposition PG can pretty much go where ever they want with impunity right now.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »
Tim and I have had this discussion many times.  He also feels that the team has a PG issue.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2011/02/problems-at-point.html

The PG issue makes the offense inconsistent.  Unfortunately, the defense is both consistent and bad.

Of course it is both.  MU's offense has an increase in turnovers (#, rate, A:TO) vs. a YAG--but still good as MU is very efficient.  MU is also stealing the ball less (10.5 steal % vs. 12.1% a YAG).  On defense, our opponents assist more, have a better A:TO ratio and steal the ball at a higher rate from MU.  Little changes, but in close games, the difference is in having experienced PG's. 

feedback