[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Would Packers trade for JJ Watt?  (Read 2269 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Would Packers trade for JJ Watt?
« on: December 09, 2015, 09:02:22 PM »
I am a Texans fan. Sadly, we have either been bad or a typical NFL middle of the pack team. We never have had a "franchise" QB. It seems you have to have one to really break through to the top.

ESPN suggests a very bold Watt to Packers trade. He is beloved here..but if he goes anywhere it should be back home. They said a trade for Watt would entail the Packers giving their 2016 & 2017 1st round picks and a conditional 1st round pick in 2018.

Both sides could gain. The Texans could bundle or trade up to get the next "franchise" quality QB in the draft, this year or next.

The Packers could go all in for the next five years, or so, ensuring a defensive POY, to pair with Rodgers remaining years....a formidable super bowl level team with the NFL's two biggest stars (last years no 1 and 2 MVP votes).

To be bold and break the Texans out of also ran status, to return JJ to rightful home, and to let the pack go all in for all the marbles....I can see where this might actually work.

Is ESPNs bold suggestion of this trade possible, impossible, workable, etc.

What to you think in WI? I'm curious

BTW, I apologize if this was posted on elsewhere, a few weeks ago when ESPN ran the story
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:04:14 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Would Packers trade for JJ Watt?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »
Ted Thompson would never trade two first round picks for JJ Watt. 

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 11:08:54 PM »
I would love to get Watt but 3 #1 picks is way too much.

I remember when this article came out and the title was something like "6 Trades We'd Love To See That Will Never Happen."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 11:24:49 PM »
Can he play WR?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 07:00:30 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 09:05:47 AM »
It is also not a small issue that they would have to remake the defense into a 4-3.  Unless of course he can play the role that Julius Peppers does now in the 3-4. 

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I have chatted with Houston fans on this often. Almost all say they'd regret losing Watt but all agree something bold must be done to break the mediocrity here, So, all I spoke to here, in the end, say yes they'd do it.

Your posts have cleared up my confusion, as its clear the Pack wouldn't do it...you need both sides as willing trade partners. So,...
If its ok with y'all.... we'll just hang on to Justin...broken hand and all.

Now....do any of you have any ideas how we can get a franchise QB...we Texan fans remain desperate. Help!!
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I have chatted with Houston fans on this often. Almost all say they'd regret losing Watt but all agree something bold must be done to break the mediocrity here, So, all I spoke to here, in the end, say yes they'd do it.

Your posts have cleared up my confusion, as its clear the Pack wouldn't do it...you need both sides as willing trade partners. So,...
If its ok with y'all.... we'll just hang on to Justin...broken hand and all.

Now....do any of you have any ideas how we can get a franchise QB...we Texan fans remain desperate. Help!!

Maybe Rodgers will sit week 17, Tolzien will throw for 5 TDs to keep Minni out of the Playoffs, and you can sign him for $40M while drafting a QB in the 3rd round.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 03:22:44 PM »
It is also not a small issue that they would have to remake the defense into a 4-3.  Unless of course he can play the role that Julius Peppers does now in the 3-4.

JJ Watt plays in a 3-4 defense already though if I'm not mistaken. The Packers wouldn't have to change anything if they got him.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 05:49:46 PM »
That would be a colossally bad trade for the Packers, and Thompson luckily is smart enough to never consider it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »
I am a Texans fan.

You poor dumb bastard...

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »
Ted Thompson would never trade two first round picks for JJ Watt.

This.

The guy lives and dies by the draft... trading even a single first-round pick would be like TT donating a kidney; so you can clearly see the problem with him trading two 1st-rounders.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »

Kidnap one?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
Today, the ESPN beat reporter for the Texans echoed Texan fans concerns, ie ultimatley to enjoy winning success JJ will need to paired with a real NFL QB....which given our history, I fear the Texans never  will have one.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14336512/without-franchise-qb-jj-watt-only-do-much-nfl