collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU b-ball and DACA  (Read 6708 times)

jt92

• Starter
MU b-ball and DACA
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:36:26 PM »
When Marquette foolishly decided to get political and weigh in on the DACA issue I decided that it was time to end my annual contribution to MU and let others fit the fundraising bill.  When I did so it actually crossed my mind that it could cost me leverage when trying to attain NCAA tickets through MU should they make the tournament.  I guess I was the fool for thinking that this program could be a perennial tournament team. 

I know we are all disappointed in this season, but what really irks me is that the school is promoting the basketball as if it’s an elite program.  Here’s a little advice for the powers that be...you have to win games in order to be elite!!  Having a coach that played for Duke and was an assistant at Duke does not make you Duke.  I know this is what we were made to believe when Wojo was hired but anyone with an ounce of basketball knowledge knows that just because you played and worked with a legend doesn’t make you a legend. 

Another national MU day flop!  Not against Villanova or any other top 20 team.. we are talking Providence!!!

Here’s one thing to think about... we had greater success with Mike Deane as head coach than we are having now and our basketball budget is way beyond what is was back then. 

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post as we are not allowed to say anything bad...so I’ll end this on a high note.  At least we can all be proud of our President mike Lovell for running all those marathons!   Great job... we are all so proud of you!

Bocephys

• All American
Re: MU b-ball and DACA
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
When Marquette foolishly decided to get political and weigh in on the DACA issue I decided that it was time to end my annual contribution to MU and let others fit the fundraising bill.  When I did so it actually crossed my mind that it could cost me leverage when trying to attain NCAA tickets through MU should they make the tournament.  I guess I was the fool for thinking that this program could be a perennial tournament team. 

I know we are all disappointed in this season, but what really irks me is that the school is promoting the basketball as if it’s an elite program.  Here’s a little advice for the powers that be...you have to win games in order to be elite!!  Having a coach that played for Duke and was an assistant at Duke does not make you Duke.  I know this is what we were made to believe when Wojo was hired but anyone with an ounce of basketball knowledge knows that just because you played and worked with a legend doesn’t make you a legend. 

Another national MU day flop!  Not against Villanova or any other top 20 team.. we are talking Providence!!!

Here’s one thing to think about... we had greater success with Mike Deane as head coach than we are having now and our basketball budget is way beyond what is was back then. 

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post as we are not allowed to say anything bad...so I’ll end this on a high note.  At least we can all be proud of our President mike Lovell for running all those marathons!   Great job... we are all so proud of you!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »
Love it, Boceph.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 05:42:53 PM »

“Look how important I am! I’m going to take a stand here and share the story of why my big buck donation no longer goes to Marquette!”

Congrats bud. You the man!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:43:00 PM »
Jesuit In Name Only - JINO

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 05:49:25 PM »
Another national MU day flop!

Marquette beat an eventual E8 team in Xavier just last year on Marquette day.

And any graduate of a Jesuit university who doesn't support DACA students probably didn't listen close enough.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 05:53:38 PM »
Hope you enjoyed your last post bud.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 05:59:32 PM »
Instead of giving all this money to the basketball program we should be giving free tuition to illegals.  That would be the Jesuit thing to do.  They can lose without the money.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »
Marquette undoubtedly gives grants and scholarships to undocumented students. 

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 06:07:07 PM »
Instead of giving all this money to the basketball program we should be giving free tuition to illegals.  That would be the Jesuit thing to do.  They can lose without the money.

This is a pretty embarrassing way to break your two year silence.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »
I’m a frustrated fan... I didn’t realize everyone was so thin skinned.  Go MU.. you’ll get’em next time!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 06:17:40 PM »
I’m a frustrated fan... I didn’t realize everyone was so thin skinned.  Go MU.. you’ll get’em next time!

The dude who stopped donating to MU because they support DACA students calls everyone else "think skinned."

It would be more comical if it weren't so predictable.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 06:20:28 PM »
All I said was mu decided to get political.  And they did.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »

Don’t blame us because you burnt your breakfast and then decided to assault the mailman to make up for it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 06:24:27 PM »
One of my son's best friends is a Dreamer.  He was brought over when he was 4, graduated high school with a 3.4 GPA, member of the soccer team, and never got in trouble.  He was pretty much like every other teen-ager.

He wanted to go to college but he couldn't - he had no access to federal financial aid and would have had to pay out of state tuition at a state school.  He's now changing oil at a local garage.

So instead of reaping the benefits of a college educated individual making a positive impact to our community - someone who could eventually become a citizen and raise a family here, he's relegated to a life of living in the shadows and doing a job beneath his skill level.\

Jesus wept.  (And I mean Jesus of Nazareth - not "Hay-soos."  Although he'd be sad too.)

So AMEN to Marquette for doing what they can to support this community.  Maybe that's where I will direct my donation next year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 06:25:42 PM »
All I said was mu decided to get political.  And they did.

You can get political when it fits your mission.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 06:57:22 PM »
There was once this man named Joseph. He had 10 older brothers and 1 younger one. His brothers resented him because he was their father's favorite. So one day they ambushed Joseph and sold him to slavers. The slavers took him to Egypt. Though God's grace, Joseph managed to befriend the Pharaoh and became one of his closest advisors. Meanwhile, his homeland was struck with a terrible famine. Joseph's brothers came to Egypt to beg for food. When Joseph saw those who had sold him into slavery, he embraced them, forgave them, and told them to move their entire tribe to Egypt where there was plenty of food. When Pharaoh heard the plan, he told Joseph to pick some of the best, most fertile lands and give it to the Hebrews with his blessing. The Hebrews moved to Egypt and lived in peace....until a Pharaoh "who did not know Joseph" came to power...that's another story.

That's right, the bible is pro-chain immigration.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 08:13:25 PM »

If your “donations” are at such a level that game tickets play into the consideration, then Marquette isn’t missing much.

Bet you’re still complaining about the name change, too.

AMDG, right?
We Are Marquette

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »
One of my son's best friends is a Dreamer.  He was brought over when he was 4, graduated high school with a 3.4 GPA, member of the soccer team, and never got in trouble.  He was pretty much like every other teen-ager.

He wanted to go to college but he couldn't - he had no access to federal financial aid and would have had to pay out of state tuition at a state school.  He's now changing oil at a local garage.

So instead of reaping the benefits of a college educated individual making a positive impact to our community - someone who could eventually become a citizen and raise a family here, he's relegated to a life of living in the shadows and doing a job beneath his skill level.\

Jesus wept.  (And I mean Jesus of Nazareth - not "Hay-soos."  Although he'd be sad too.)

So AMEN to Marquette for doing what they can to support this community.  Maybe that's where I will direct my donation next year.
The "Dreamer" can go back to his country now.  With his good education he should be at the top of the pecking order.

Sorry , my people came to this country in shackles against their will.  I could have taken the easy way out and cried foul, said everyone was against me because of the color of my skin  and pointed the finger at others.  Instead I worked hard by the rule and asked for no special favors for anyone.  That attitude gave me independence and wealth.

I am happy to give charity to those who are willing to play by the rules. In fact I would give money to your dreamer friend for a one way ticket back and his three months rent back in what ever place his parents illegally came from.  If he is as good as you say he is , he will be finding his niche in society in no time.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »
Mods, lock this stupid fukking thread please. Time for some of you to go to sleep
No Finish Line

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 09:55:31 PM »
The "Dreamer" can go back to his country now.  With his good education he should be at the top of the pecking order.

Sorry , my people came to this country in shackles against their will.  I could have taken the easy way out and cried foul, said everyone was against me because of the color of my skin  and pointed the finger at others.  Instead I worked hard by the rule and asked for no special favors for anyone.  That attitude gave me independence and wealth.

I am happy to give charity to those who are willing to play by the rules. In fact I would give money to your dreamer friend for a one way ticket back and his three months rent back in what ever place his parents illegally came from.  If he is as good as you say he is , he will be finding his niche in society in no time.
Good for you. You can go back any time too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 09:57:43 PM »

Well this is great except this is exactly what he wants to do.

And you're lying.

Otherwise nice post.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 09:59:30 PM »

You're a piece of sh*t.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »

When exactly did the dreamer not play by the rules? Was he at four years old supposed to tell his parents "You guys go ahead. I'm going to stay here by myself"?

"The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God"

#bibleisproDACA
TAMU

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 10:40:31 PM »
All For The Greater Glory Of God.

Love one another, my friends.
We Are Marquette

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 11:27:21 PM »

When exactly did the dreamer not play by the rules? Was he at four years old supposed to tell his parents "You guys go ahead. I'm going to stay here by myself"?

"The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God"

#bibleisproDACA
Once again you only read and react to part of what I wrote. I am willing to provide passage and shelter for the alien.

The Parents willingly violated the law. That does not give the kid any special rights.

My ancestors were brought him in the galley of a slave ship , so I have a helluva a lot more basis to complain than these people. Yet I don't.  I never came to your parents and asked for a damn thing.

Sorry if it offends your liberal sensibilities but there are some who believe in working hard and playing by the rules, no matter how crappy a hand they were dealt. 

Reverend Peterson is a good friend of mine and we have a similar life experience and shared view point. I am happy to provide you a copy of one of his books if you want.

http://www.jesseleepeterson.com/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 11:31:09 PM »
Once again you only read and react to part of what I wrote. I am willing to provide passage and shelter for the alien.

The Parents willingly violated the law. That does not give the kid any special rights.

My ancestors were brought him in the galley of a slave ship , so I have a helluva a lot more basis to complain than these people. Yet I don't.  I never came to your parents and asked for a damn thing.

Sorry if it offends your liberal sensibilities but there are some who believe in working hard and playing by the rules, no matter how crappy a hand they were dealt. 

Reverend Peterson is a good friend of mine and we have a similar life experience and shared view point. I am happy to provide you a copy of one of his books if you want.

You continue to leave no doubt that you're a complete idiot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 11:32:03 PM »

The dreamer isn't asking for special treatment. Just asking to be treated the way God and our Christian faith calls us to treat him.
TAMU