'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Latest NBA Draft Projections...  (Read 4728 times)

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Latest NBA Draft Projections...
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:06:10 PM »
Per NBADraft.net for 2009...

42. New York: Jerel McNeal 6-3 200 SG Marquette Sr.
58. Boston: Wesley Matthews 6-5 215 SG Marquette Sr.

Unfortunately DJ's not on their radar as of yet.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft

Also took a look at the 2010 projections and found this interesting...

58. Boston: Luke Harangody 6-7 251 SF/PF Notre Dame Jr.
59. Cleveland:  Lazar Hayward 6-6 205 SG/SF Marquette Jr.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:09:18 PM by mosarsour »

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
Re: Latest NBA Draft Projections...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:09:54 PM »
Someone in the NFL shoudl look at James to see if he couldn't help in a defensive backfield somewhere.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »
Dominic James can make it in the NBA, especially if he keeps up the way he's been playing, and just learns to make free throws.

His A:TO ratio is solid, his defense is solid, he's athletic, and he's tough as nails.  He's not a good shooter, but he's a good scorer, and only when needed.  He's made everyone on the team better with his passing, and if we had a serviceable big man that could catch under the basket and put it in the basket, DJ would have 10 assists a game, easily.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 12:27:18 PM »
It seems with the new offense and Wes's substantial improvement that this has opened the door for DJ to play as a real PG. (defense, assists and running the show)

If he had this offense last year and had two years into it by now, I feel he would be a lock to get drafted.  It is just unfourtionate his FT numbers and 3Pt. numbers.

I hope he gets in the NBA somehow, it just doesn't seem like the draft right now.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 12:35:16 PM »
Someone in the NFL shoudl look at James to see if he couldn't help in a defensive backfield somewhere.

I've heard that two or three times now, and it's an interesting idea.  He has that freakish leaping ability, but does he have the flat out speed it would take?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »
everytime i see james on the court he has been the fastest and quickest guy on the court.

I'd honestly like to see what kind of numbers he could put up at the combine

I think his agility drill numbers would be off the charts, along with his jumping ability... someone would for sure take a flyer on him... and if he didnt make it who cares, he is still easily good enough to play somewhere in Europe or in the DL.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 12:53:05 PM »
Check it out

15.3 ppg, 4.5 RPG, 6.6 APG, 2.8 TO/ G, 2.4 Steals/ G  2.35 A/TO

11.6 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 5.4 APG, 1.9 TO/ G, 1.9 Steals/ G    2.9 A/ TO

12.5 PPG, 3.6 RPG  6.8 APG,  2.8 TO/ G  .97 Steals/ G    2.42 A/ TO

The first guy is CP3, the second is DJ the third is Deron Williams ( All in their final college year)  I AM NOT SAYING DJ IS/ WILL  BE CHRIS PAUL or DERON WILLIAMS.

that being said, the stats aren't a laugh DJ, while not in the same echelon, certainly seems capable of playing in the same league.  And also keep in mind that these are 2 of the elite NBA Point Guards.  DJ and DW actually have the same FG % to this point as well, with Paul's being higher.  Basically I was just curious, and thought I would post my findings.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 01:00:50 PM »
Buck, put in their Free throw percentages.  Very importatnt for point guards

JSwarriors08

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 01:06:20 PM »
Buck, great post.  Definitely food for thought.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 01:15:23 PM »
Remember Deron played in the Big Ten, DJ definitely faces tougher competition
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »
Williams is also 6ft 3"

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 01:27:38 PM »

FT Percentage: DJ 45.9%, Williams 67.7%, Paul 83%.

FG Percentage:  DJ 42%, Williams 43%, Paul 45%

3 Point Percentage:  DJ 30%, Williams 36%, Paul 47%.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 01:32:20 PM »
Thanks.  Paul has some outstanding stats.  Almost 50% from 3's, wow.

jce

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 01:34:47 PM »
Williams is also 6ft 3"

Bingo.  That is the big problem with DJ in the NBA.  He doesn't have the size.

I've said this before, but I think DJ is more in the mold of Jacque Vaughn.  Great college player who puts together a decent, but long, NBA career.  (And Vaughn is still taller than DJ.)

bma725

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:09 PM »

Bingo.  That is the big problem with DJ in the NBA.  He doesn't have the size.

I've said this before, but I think DJ is more in the mold of Jacque Vaughn.  Great college player who puts together a decent, but long, NBA career.  (And Vaughn is still taller than DJ.)

The size would be fine if he were a better shooter.  At the 2005 NBA Pre Draft camp, Paul measured at 5'11.75".  At the 2007 Pre Draft Camp, DJ was 5'10.5".  That's not enough of a difference to be a hindrance, especially when you consider that DJ had a better vertical leap.  Further, James is right around the height of a lot of PG drafted recently.  Mike Conley was #4 overall in 2007, and he is 5'11.75".  Aaron Brooks was #24 in 2007 and he is 5'10.5".  Raymond Felton was #5 in 2005 and he's 5'11.5".  DJ Augustin was #9 last year and he's actually 5 shorter than James and 5'10". 

The difference is those guys, except maybe Conley are much better shooters than DJ.  If he wants to get drafted, or to last more than a cup of coffee he's got to shoot the ball better. 

You can be short and get drafted at the PG position.  You can be a bad shooter and get drafted.  You can't be both.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 02:33:06 PM »
Good to see the other two making waves.  If mcneal finishes at 45% for 3 at the end of the season i don't see how he could slip out of the first round.  That is probably where Wes should be, hope he lands in a situation that is good for him.

There is a slim chance that James could take over a game or two in march and some GM could decide to look past the shooting because they "see something" but not a good one.

People  on the boards have me convinced, for now, that Lazar won't make it, but they also said that Novak and Diener wouldn't make it.  Lazar doesn't look quick but he does score and it's not just all open shots at the elbow.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 02:52:11 PM »

First thing that came to my mind.  Then again... Chris Duhon is not that great.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

WalterSobchak

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »

Yeah, but once he just gets over that mental hurdle..

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 03:43:50 PM »
Good to see the other two making waves.  If mcneal finishes at 45% for 3 at the end of the season i don't see how he could slip out of the first round. 

Agreed. McNeal's game compares very favorably to that of Luther Head, who went 24th. I think he's got a solid chance of landing in the bottom of the first round, barring a late-season collapse or disastrous showing in pre-draft workouts.

As for James, I think he'll get drafted. Some team will take a flier on him because, despite his shooting, his athletic ability is way up there, even by NBA standards. His lack of size is somewhat ameliorated by his strength, quickness and leaping ability. The guy has been known, after all, to go up and reject would-be dunks by 6-foot-7 forwards. His shooting/offensive game may prevent him from becoming a regular starter in the league, but most teams would be content with a backup point guard who can run the offense, not turn the ball over and play defense. Those are three things he can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z222xCT89cA

burger

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »
The question really is.....

Not stealing the thread....

How far can MU go with 4 2nd round level draft picks at 6'7" or below....

Very interesting scenario!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »
Agreed. McNeal's game compares very favorably to that of Luther Head, who went 24th. I think he's got a solid chance of landing in the bottom of the first round, barring a late-season collapse or disastrous showing in pre-draft workouts.

As for James, I think he'll get drafted. Some team will take a flier on him because, despite his shooting, his athletic ability is way up there, even by NBA standards. His lack of size is somewhat ameliorated by his strength, quickness and leaping ability. The guy has been known, after all, to go up and reject would-be dunks by 6-foot-7 forwards. His shooting/offensive game may prevent him from becoming a regular starter in the league, but most teams would be content with a backup point guard who can run the offense, not turn the ball over and play defense. Those are three things he can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z222xCT89cA

good comparison to Luther Head.

As for James I think you are spot on, smart point guards who can run the offense well PLAY DEFENSE and spell the starter for a few minutes can be invaluable.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 06:04:32 PM »
I wouldn't hold too much value in these mock drafts but I sure would like watching Mcneal with the Knicks.......then I would actually have a reason to watch them and like the Dolans!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 06:43:09 PM »
When is the last time we had two players drafted in the same year that high?  I realize there are only two rounds now and in some years we had 4 or 5 players drafted, but many of them went in the 6th or 7th round.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 07:03:26 PM »
When is the last time we had two players drafted in the same year that high?  I realize there are only two rounds now and in some years we had 4 or 5 players drafted, but many of them went in the 6th or 7th round.

1978.  Butch Lee went 10th overall to Atlanta.  Jerome Whitehead went 41st overall(19th in 2nd round) to San Diego.  Jim Boylan, Ulice Payne and Gary Rosenberger were also drafted, albeit in the 4th, 9th, and 9th rounds respectively.

The most recent draft where two MU players were selected was 1983.  Doc Rivers went in the 2nd round, Terrell Schlundt went in the 7th.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Could DJ possibly make this the 4th season ever with 3 players drafted?
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 08:12:46 PM »
I like the Assist to Turnover ratio earlier with DJ better than Deron Williams or Chris Paul in their final season.  and remember, DJ is actually better than 6-to-1 in the last six games, so that 2.9-1 could come up.

When you add his incredible defense, it's purely a matter of if he can hit freethrows.  I know Buzz's practice of not practicing them seems to work for the rest of the team, but I wonder if DJ should be working on them.

How exciting on Jerel and Wesley, with Lazar right behind them.

As for some of the other questions:

13 years MU has had more than one drafted

However, if the mock was accurate, this would be only the third time we've had two go in the first two rounds (McNeil and Chones in 1973, Lee and Whitehead in 1978).

Even if you go through three rounds, there are only two more years with multiple picks (Meminger and Brell in 1971, Tatum and Walton in 1976).

If DJ were drafted in addition, it would be only the fourth time in history three had gone in any round, and much more impressive than 1970 (6th, 8th and 10th rounds) or 1982 (3rd, 6th and 7th rounds).

The only year that would have been compatable to having three picked would be 1978, by far the best draft year ever with Lee (1st round), Whitehead (2nd), Boylan (4th) and Payne and Rosenburg (both 9th).

Clearly if referee Peter Pavia had not thrown Whitehead out of the game for an accidental elbow with 3:38 left and MU leading 68-58, we would have been repeat national champs that year.

Let's hope 2009 is the year we are all remembering in years to come!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
MU one of 10 teams with 3 in mock draft 2009 or 2010
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 08:31:29 PM »
Most players in the mock draft in either 2009 or 2010

UConn 6 (scary), UNC 5, UCLA 4, then seven with three each: MARQUETTE, Gonzaga, Ohio State, West Virginia, Syracuse, Texas and Wake Forest.

And, I can't resist: Big East 22, ACC 16, Big Twelve 12, Pac Ten 12, SEC 10, Big Ten 4
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

feedback