'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: G'Town Is Going To Be Desperate Saturday  (Read 6499 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
G'Town Is Going To Be Desperate Saturday
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:26:06 PM »
nm
The General has taken on a new command.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
Re: G'Town Is Going To Be Desperate Saturday
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »
My thoughts exactly. But I think we handled a pretty desperate team on the road not too long ago.

Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:28:29 PM »
Hopefully we take them out early and the crowd helps us and we never look back.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:33:17 PM »
this is a bit troubling if you ask me- many of the fans now think that G'town is not good this year and that this game should be a lock (i heard it today even before they lost again)

ill tell you what though, a few weeks ago i saw that team go into Storrs and just handle UConn- if they can do that to UConn they sure as hell can do it in Milwaukee

I have confidence that Buzz will say something similar to his players- hopefully MU comes out like it is the team with 4 straight losses and get to them early and often

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »
I don't know how desperate they can be. They've lost 6 of 8, 4 in a row. They're one road win is obviously impressive, but they're 1-4 on the road, and that win at UConn seems like ages ago.

I think the trend is they're just not as good as people think they should be. Still can beat us on Saturday, no doubt, but got to be wondering where they're confidence is right now.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »
Couldn't the same have been said about ND.  They should have been pretty pissed off/desperate on Monday.

I don't think that emotional stuff matters that much with this team.  They are too experienced and too poised to get out hustled or fold after a few runs.  If GTown wants a win on Saturday they are going to have to be the better team and play 40 mins of quality bball.  There is no wanting or needing it more than this years MU squad.

Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
I guess Summers for Georgetown was injured tonight and did not play at all in the 2nd half. Haven't hear the extent of the injury or what it is.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:59:35 PM »
Good teams play with a sense of desparation in this conference.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »
I think this conference has showen this year that anything can happen.  Even DePaul is only down 6 at halftime against UCONN.  Anything can happen.  Let's stay focused and beat G-town on Saturday.

GO MARQUETTE!!

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 09:27:52 PM »
For the second game in a row, Marquette has the chance to land a KO punch on our opponent.

GU wins when they hit their threes and they lose when they miss.  This year they miss a lot.  I like our perimeter defense in that matchup.  Also, they do a terrible job of defensive rebounding.

We'll win, and yet again "they" will say the team has not been tested.  And frankly, that's okay with me.

MU wins by 9!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 10:53:14 PM »
From ESPN.com's recap of the GTown game:  "DaJuan Summers twisted his left ankle, leaving the Hoyas uncertain how much he can play the next few games."

If Summers, their leading scorer, is limited or out on Saturday, this is starting to look like a great week for Marquette basketball. Play with the same intensity as the ND game and even if Monroe gets his 20/10, I like our chances. GTown is a wounded bear and is definitely dangerous enough to keep a game close, but that's a very lucky break (or twist?).

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:30 PM »
Sounds kinda crazy, and I have nothing to base it off of than a gut feeling, but I'm more worried about going to DePaul than the game on Saturday.

I think with MU's perimeter advantage and the home crowd, they'll be able to handle Gtown. Since it's a big game, I'm not concerned about a letdown at all.

Then off to Rosemont. It's the only game DPU students go to, they shot well above average against MU before, and they have the quickness to give MU some trouble. Coming off what would be a big win, just seems ripe for a letdown.

Hope I'm right on the first one and wrong on the second ;)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 11:00:44 PM »

ill tell you what though, a few weeks ago i saw that team go into Storrs and just handle UConn- if they can do that to UConn they sure as hell can do it in Milwaukee

[/quote]

That was an impressive win and reminds me of MU's first big east game against Uconn. Uconn lost both of those games, because they thought they were better than their opponents and did not respect them.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »
I think our Seniors have more to prove than some fly by night Frosh on the GTown team.

2008 - 68-70 (loss)
2007 - 58-76 (loss)

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 11:31:35 PM »
Every win is so important in this conference due to how tough it is that every team is in one way or another desperate for a win.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 09:12:44 AM »

That was an impressive win and reminds me of MU's first big east game against Uconn. Uconn lost both of those games, because they thought they were better than their opponents and did not respect them.

it wasn't because novak had 46 pts and 17rbs?  Pretty sure that was at least somewhat related.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 09:16:42 AM »
You don't think MU is just as desperate?  Especially with 4 senior starters knowing this is their last chance.  The best thing that ever happened to us may have been the backloaded schedule.  To have that hanging over your head all season, you know you better win those early games.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »
Georgetown is a good team going through a bad time.  We need to take them as seriously as we would any other team out there.  I do not think that MU will be looking past this game.  It's a big game.  It's to maintain an undefeated record in the tougest conference; it's to maintain a top 10 ranking; it's to give this great senior class the best chance for the best seed.

So. . .let's hunker down and beat Georgetown on Saturday!

GO MARQUETTE!!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »
They were already desperate and they still lost to Cincy.

Maybe they will be double secret desperate now?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 04:16:52 PM »
Desperate or not, G'Town is a team that is young and having serious problems.  MU should win going away. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 05:12:23 PM »
Georgetown is terrible on rebounding/ defense.  See here for details: http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=125

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »
it wasn't because novak had 46 pts and 17rbs?  Pretty sure that was at least somewhat related.
Uconn did not respect Novak and did not play defense on him. They just thought they win based on their talent.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »
Uconn did not respect Novak and did not play defense on him. They just thought they win based on their talent.

oh, well now that you repeated yourself i believe you.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 09:56:55 AM »
There is no such thing as a lock in this league; every win is earned. That being said, if Summers is injured and cannot play our chances to win have improved significantly.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 10:26:37 AM »
Sounds kinda crazy, and I have nothing to base it off of than a gut feeling, but I'm more worried about going to DePaul than the game on Saturday.

I think with MU's perimeter advantage and the home crowd, they'll be able to handle Gtown. Since it's a big game, I'm not concerned about a letdown at all.

Then off to Rosemont. It's the only game DPU students go to, they shot well above average against MU before, and they have the quickness to give MU some trouble. Coming off what would be a big win, just seems ripe for a letdown.

Hope I'm right on the first one and wrong on the second ;)

With their respective records, I'm guess it'll be 70% MU fans at the DePaul game. MU fans better show up---the weak showing at the tourney in Hoffman Estates was embarrassing. McNeal isn't going to want to lose his last game in Chicago-he'll get the team pumped up.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 11:16:25 AM »
Desperate or not, G'Town is a team that is young and having serious problems.  MU should win going away. 

If you prove correct that makes MU 8-0 in the Big East. Your original prognostication was a 9-9 final conference record. Assuming that is still your position, which one of the 10 remaining games (after G-Town) do you think MU will win?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 12:58:07 PM »

If you prove correct that makes MU 8-0 in the Big East. Your original prognostication was a 9-9 final conference record. Assuming that is still your position, which one of the 10 remaining games (after G-Town) do you think MU will win?

You should include the entire quote in what I said at the beginning of the season, shouldn't you....if you're going to be selective you might as well be honest, too?  I said they could win as many as 26 games or as few as 20....I was not convinced we had the size in the middle (I had heard on this board for years that you can't win with just guards  :o ) and Buzz was unproven.   So I went conservative and settled on the 20 win mark.

Here's the quote: "The team could win as few as 20 and as many as 26 in my opinion."

My UCLA buddies have caught on to the Barry Switzer analogy.  They think I'm all wrong.  They said that Steve Lavin or Ruth Buzzy could guide this team to the NCAAs.    ;)

Fun to watch.  We'll know what we have in Buzz in a few years.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:34:34 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »
What is the Barry Switzer analogy? 

And sorry I felt there was enough quoting on the previous posts, so I didn't bother.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
"The team could win as few as 20 and as many as 26 in my opinion."

Well, saying something like that is pretty general; you really went out on a ledge there Chicos.  Isn't that what Aunt Cleo does, say somehting really vague so that she will be right no matter what?

Fact is, you made a prediction.  Your prediction was a 9-9 conference record.  So far, it looks like you were way off as were many others.  I'm not sure why you can't just man up and say you were wrong.  No shame in it, that's why there are predictions :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »
Well, saying something like that is pretty general; you really went out on a ledge there Chicos.  Isn't that what Aunt Cleo does, say somehting really vague so that she will be right no matter what?

Fact is, you made a prediction.  Your prediction was a 9-9 conference record.  So far, it looks like you were way off as were many others.  I'm not sure why you can't just man up and say you were wrong.  No shame in it, that's why there are predictions :)

I was wrong....didn't realize I didn't say that on more than a few times here.  I'll say it again, I was wrong on my 9-9 prediction.   That's what happens when you put out a prediction, people get to take swipes at it or pat you on the back.  No problems....this guard oriented team is doing great and Buzz has done a wonderful job this year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 01:52:56 PM »
What is the Barry Switzer analogy? 

And sorry I felt there was enough quoting on the previous posts, so I didn't bother.

Basically I said 6 months ago that Barry Switzer could guide this year's team to the NCAA tournament and that we won't truly know what we have in Buzz for a few years when he coaches his guys, does his own recruiting, etc.  With the talent on this year's team, coming off 3 straight NCAAs, having 3 returning all Big East players, having 4 seniors and an extremely talented junior.....well I thought it would take a complete screw-up not to get in.  Being a Cowboys fan, I considered Barry Switzer a complete cluster screw and yet he managed to win the Super Bowl despite it all.

So it was an analogy just to state the obvious.....MU was going to the NCAAs this year regardless of who was put in as the coach unless the coach really screwed it up.

Now, having said that, Buzz has done BETTER than I had expected or hoped.  Is this due to his style?  Is it due to the seniors just being seniors?  Is it due to our schedule (which is ranked 126th right now)?  I don't know, but I'm enjoying the season like any MU fan would.   The guys are playing with great confidence and poise (is this because of the coach or them being seniors....I don't know).  The motion offense is great (I attribute that to Buzz).  The defensive toughness is there.

It's been a fun year and a year that hopefully will continue.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »

You should include the entire quote in what I said at the beginning of the season, shouldn't you....if you're going to be selective you might as well be honest, too?  I said they could win as many as 26 games or as few as 20....I was not convinced we had the size in the middle (I had heard on this board for years that you can't win with just guards  :o ) and Buzz was unproven.   So I went conservative and settled on the 20 win mark.

Here's the quote: "The team could win as few as 20 and as many as 26 in my opinion."

My UCLA buddies have caught on to the Barry Switzer analogy.  They think I'm all wrong.  They said that Steve Lavin or Ruth Buzzy could guide this team to the NCAAs.    ;)

Fun to watch.  We'll know what we have in Buzz in a few years.

[I take umbrage at you calling me dishonest. Your prediction was 9-9 and 20-11. Your equivocation makes you look that much more foolish. First of all, you make a market (20-26) one could drive a truck through. This is the mathematical equivalent of saying the Red Sox will win between 80 and 104 games this year. Way to go out on a limb. Then you lay part of the blame for your miscalculation on other posters saying (for years) that you can't win with just guards. Please. Man up, Chicos. You thought Buzz would be a minus and he turned out to be a plus. I suspect that many or even most of us shared those concerns. It's just harder for some to admit they're wrong than others.
/quote]

feedback