'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[Today at 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Photo of 2012 Sweet Sixteen Ring  (Read 25655 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Photo of 2012 Sweet Sixteen Ring
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 09:46:22 AM »
I vote for gold medallions the size of dinner plates featuring a diamond-encrusted MU logo.

See, I knew this would happen sooner or later when broads are allowed to post on this board.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
Small time?!?  The ring commemorates a significant achievement.  16 of 347 D-I teams advanced to the Sweet 16 last year.  95th percentile.  Final ranking #10.  2nd place in Big East (1st place once Syracuse's season is vacated).  How is that not worthy of some sort of memento?

If you want to rag on people for giving out rings for no accomplishment whatsoever, talk to Jostens' high school sales department.

+1  Damn, we're getting jaded.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
Go watch 1 practice/work-out.

Realize they do that 6-7 times per week, year round.

Then comment on the ring being "small time" and "orange slices".

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »

And all the teams they have to beat to get that far are doing the same things.

JD

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 10:32:58 AM »

And so do all of the other teams in Division 1 basketball.  What's your point?  Does Duke, UConn, UNC, Wisconsin, and all the other teams hand out S16 rings because of their hard work?

You make it seem like Marquette is the only team to work hard throughout the entire year.

My point is if Marquette is considered a perennial top 25 team, or wishes to be....Don't the rings seem humorous?  I wasn't aware of the other schools that do this, especially if MU is supposed to be taking "the next step" just seems like a consolation prize for participation. 
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »
I agree, it's a little pretentious, but it's still a really cool ring.  Maybe Final Four rings would be appropriate, but S16 is pushing it a little.  That's not to say it isn't a major accomplishment and that these guys don't work hard -- but I also don't feel that a S16 appearance should be the "goal" of any of these players or coaches.  Sure, you can celebrate and remember a great season, but the bar should be a little higher than that, especially if we want to be considered an elite college team.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »

And so do all of the other teams in Division 1 basketball.  What's your point?  Does Duke, UConn, UNC, Wisconsin, and all the other teams hand out S16 rings because of their hard work?

You make it seem like Marquette is the only team to work hard throughout the entire year.

My point is if Marquette is considered a perennial top 25 team, or wishes to be....Don't the rings seem humorous?  I wasn't aware of the other schools that do this, especially if MU is supposed to be taking "the next step" just seems like a consolation prize for participation. 

Some perspective, please.  2011 was the first time MU made the second weekend of the tournament in almost a decade.  This year was the first time MU made it that far twice in a row in 25 years.  We made the S16 or further once in the aughts, once in the nineties, and ZERO times in the eighties.  That's two times TOTAL in a 25 year span.  The past two tournaments have been major building blocks for the program, and everyone's effort deserves to be recognized.  It's not like we rack up S16's year in and year out.  Yet.  The best is yet to come, but for now it's definitely a big deal.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
Some perspective, please.  2011 was the first time MU made the second weekend of the tournament in almost a decade.  This year was the first time MU made it that far twice in a row in 25 years.  We made the S16 or further once in the aughts, once in the nineties, and ZERO times in the eighties.  That's two times TOTAL in a 25 year span.  The past two tournaments have been major building blocks for the program, and everyone's effort deserves to be recognized.  It's not like we rack up S16's year in and year out.  Yet.  The best is yet to come, but for now it's definitely a big deal.

That's almost like saying it'd be ok if the Pacers made themselves rings for getting to the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals because they haven't been there in 12 years.

Edit:  I bet those silly Pacers actually did do that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »

And so do all of the other teams in Division 1 basketball.  What's your point?  Does Duke, UConn, UNC, Wisconsin, and all the other teams hand out S16 rings because of their hard work?

My point is if Marquette is considered a perennial top 25 team, or wishes to be....Don't the rings seem humorous?  I wasn't aware of the other schools that do this, especially if MU is supposed to be taking "the next step" just seems like a consolation prize for participation.  

If players from those teams want to come on MUSCOOP and make fun of MU for their rings, so be it.

Internet nerds (myself included) shouldn't gripe about something as small as a commemorative rings for the players.

Certainly we are all entitled to an opinion, but this seems like such a small thing for people to gripe about. Players work their asses off. Let them have a ring.

Rob Frozena got a framed jersey on senior night. He was only a walk-on. Shame on MU. I'm appalled.

Oh, and MU will not be as good as they could be next year because they got S16 rings. We all know that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »
That's almost like saying it'd be ok if the Pacers made themselves rings for getting to the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals because they haven't been there in 12 years.

Edit:  I bet those silly Pacers actually did do that.

Yeah, cuz the NCAA tournament and the NBA playoffs are the exact same thing.

Building a history of deep tournament runs = building a brand for better recruiting for a college basketball team.  You have to convince top players to come to your team, and top players want to play for a program with a track record of winning & national exposure.

In the NBA, only the championship matters, and the team selects the players in the draft and in free agency, not the other way around (for the most part).  Plus, top 8/16 or (or 8/30) is nowhere near top 16/64 (or 16/345).

Back to back sweet 16's were a huge step for our program, no doubt about it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »

Boy, somebody needs a short trip back to the Dukiet and Deane days to gain a little perspective.  So, sweet sixteen runs should be considered the norm now, and anything less should be considered an underachievement?

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »
If players from those teams want to come on MUSCOOP and make fun of MU for their rings, so be it.

Internet nerds (myself included) shouldn't gripe about something as small as a commemorative rings for the players.

Certainly we are all entitled to an opinion, but this seems like such a small thing for people to gripe about. Players work their asses off. Let them have a ring.

Rob Frozena got a framed jersey on senior night. He was only a walk-on. Shame on MU. I'm appalled.

Oh, and MU will not be as good as they could be next year because they got S16 rings. We all know that.

A framed jersey is one thing.  Rings are usually given out to champions of some sort.  I understand making back-to-back S16 appearances is a big deal for the program.  It's being commemorated and celebrated in many ways and I'm all for it... the rings are kinda cheesey.  And that is an opinion just like anything else on this board.  I'm in no ways appauled and up in arms about it, I just think it's kinda silly, that's all.  Maybe they should have a Sweet Sixteen trophy and all the players can bring it back to their hometowns and have a parade.  Or maybe that's a little silly.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »
A framed jersey is one thing.  Rings are usually given out to champions of some sort.  I understand making back-to-back S16 appearances is a big deal for the program.  It's being commemorated and celebrated in many ways and I'm all for it... the rings are kinda cheesey.  And that is an opinion just like anything else on this board.  I'm in no ways appauled and up in arms about it, I just think it's kinda silly, that's all.  Maybe they should have a Sweet Sixteen trophy and all the players can bring it back to their hometowns and have a parade.  Or maybe that's a little silly.

Alright, so it's not the commemoration of a very good season, it's the choice of jewelry because rings are for champions.

Fine.

It should be medallions next time.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »
What do Lehigh's and Norfolk State's R32 rings look like?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »

Nothing tops VCU's "Final Ranking #6" banner.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 01:35:11 PM »
Nothing tops VCU's "Final Ranking #6" banner.

That seems to deflate its Final Four accomplishment a little bit, huh?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 01:39:02 PM »
That seems to deflate its Final Four accomplishment a little bit, huh?

In 1977, Marquette's final ranking was what?  Seven?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
Small time?!?  The ring commemorates a significant achievement.  16 of 347 D-I teams advanced to the Sweet 16 last year.  95th percentile.  Final ranking #10. 2nd place in Big East (1st place once Syracuse's season is vacated). How is that not worthy of some sort of memento?

If you want to rag on people for giving out rings for no accomplishment whatsoever, talk to Jostens' high school sales department.

It doesn't work that way--even if Syracuse vacates its wins, we keep our 2nd place finish.  Just like Texas didn't become a Final Four team when Memphis vacated their win that put them in the Final Four.

It probably highlights their Patriot League Championship.  The school has a published policy:
http://www.lehighsports.com/assets/info/handbook/ChampionshipAwards.pdf

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:43:29 PM by The Equalizer »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »

Well said.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »
I have halfheartedly looked online and I am seriously wondering.  Is a Sweet 16 ring given by the University or is it given by the NCAA?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 05:22:29 PM »
Well said.

So it's its simply the choice in jewelry that upsets you guys?

WTF is the is the difference?

Medallions/paperweights/rings/pocket watches.

Who. Cares.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
For a borderline elite school, I think it's tacky. Big East Champions? Ok. As it stands, I'd think this is more appropriate:

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 12:08:51 AM »
So it's its simply the choice in jewelry that upsets you guys?

WTF is the is the difference?

Medallions/paperweights/rings/pocket watches.

Who. Cares.

Not upset, just think it's weak. Let's be honest, if it was ND or Madison giving out rings for tourney appearances and Sweet 16s, we'd be all over them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:15:25 AM by MUfan12 »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2012, 03:02:18 AM »
But back-to-back Sweet 16?

I hope it comes again and again and again.

Give them all the effin rings they want!
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2012, 04:54:05 AM »
Maybe we can rush the floor if we beat UW-Green Bay too?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback