'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[Today at 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Standards for hoops players  (Read 25864 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: New Standards for hoops players
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
OK. Put the tinfoil hats away. Chren I believe that your "source" misunderstood something. No player was beholden to standards that increased to 2.7 overall GPA. It is the likely interpretation that Mayo had to attain that second semester to meet minimum NCAA standards which is why the transfer issue was raised. Don't know if he is eligible for next year or not. Looking into it. 

That definitely makes a lot more sense. In other words, BOOOOOO! Get your logic off this message board!

Mayo is one of my favorite players on the team and I'm expecting big things from him next season but in all honesty, with the help and tutoring that college athletes get, if a comm major can't pull a 2.7 with his scholarship on the line, he probably doesn't belong at MU in the first place.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »
I believe my final Marquette school of engineering GPA - rounded up - was 2.7.

My wife is one of those a 4.0 GPA students too.

I interview a lot of people and lets just say if I see a 3.7 or higher for undergrad its a red flag for me unless they have a significant number extra curriculars.  Anybody can study 12 hours a day and come down with good grads, its the ability to prioritize and make decisions that maters.  Having said that I call BS on 2.7 as the new standard and Sultan is right on this.

I was previously part of the tin hat brigade but not this time my friend.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

nyg

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »
OK. Put the tinfoil hats away. Chren I believe that your "source" misunderstood something. No player was beholden to standards that increased to 2.7 overall GPA. It is the likely interpretation that Mayo had to attain that second semester to meet minimum NCAA standards which is why the transfer issue was raised. Don't know if he is eligible for next year or not. Looking into it. 

So, if he needed a second semester 2.7 GPA to continue, with an overall average of 2.0 probably passing, that means he was carrying a 1.3 at the time, which is pretty ugly.  Something like that.......

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »

Minimum NCAA standards at the close of freshman year are 1.8. That (needing a 2.7) means Todd had a .9 after his first semester. If those are the facts I have no problem with whatever happens. I'll miss Todd but his leaving will be all on him. If he makes the NCAA minimum but is kicked to the curb due to a mid year change in the rules it's all on the adminstration.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »

Minimum NCAA standards at the close of freshman year are 1.8. That (needing a 2.7) means Todd had a .9 after his first semester. If those are the facts I have no problem with whatever happens. I'll miss Todd but his leaving will be all on him. If he makes the NCAA minimum but is kicked to the curb due to a mid year change in the rules it's all on the adminstration.

Well put Lenny, I completely agree.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »
I believe my final Marquette school of engineering GPA - rounded up - was 2.7.

My wife is one of those a 4.0 GPA students too.
--------------------------------------------------
I interview a lot of people and lets just say if I see a 3.7 or higher for undergrad its a red flag for me unless they have a significant number extra curriculars.  Anybody can study 12 hours a day and come down with good grads, its the ability to prioritize and make decisions that maters.  Having said that I call BS on 2.7 as the new standard and Sultan is right on this.

I was previously part of the tin hat brigade but not this time my friend.

She worked a full-time job simultaneously while earning the undergrad degree. 

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »

Or the 2.7 was to get to the new MU academic standards, which may be higher than the NCAA standards and meaning the student had higher than a .9 after his first semester.  Just throwing out that idea.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:23:33 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »

Slow clap.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »
Or the 2.7 was to get to the new MU academic standards, which may be higher than the NCAA standards and meaning Todd was higher than a .9 after his first semester.  Just throwing out that idea.

Agreed. Bottom line: IF the standards were changed retroactively at the semester, that in and of itself was arbitrary and grossly unfair. IF, on top of that, someone is thrown under the bus who meets the standards the administration was using at mid semester you have Hiroshima. Before anyone breaks out the hackneyed "tin foil hat" stuff, please note: I said IF and put it in CAPS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »
Slightly faster clap.

Quite a bit faster clap.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 02:26:23 PM »
Another question to ask for people who are there...is Mayo on campus?

Yes he is, I saw him last night at Murphy's. I am 100% positive it was him

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »

Then your wife is quite a bit better than you....you are welcome to join my club  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 03:14:11 PM »
Excellent news re Mayo!  The facyt that he is on campus is a great sign!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »
Excellent news re Mayo!  The facyt that he is on campus is a great sign!

+1

He was definitely my biggest concern. I have to think him being back is a good sign, though this whole thing reinforces my belief that he won't be here 4 years. I think as soon as he's a 16+ ppg guy, he's headed to the Draft, even if he comes off the bench (ala Dion Waiters) to get it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 03:18:15 PM »

Then your wife is quite a bit better than you....you are welcome to join my club  ;D
Count me in.   :)

Do I throw in the 3 masters degrees she also earned?......while working and then along came our kids.....and 4.0 in all three.

I did a triathalon yesterday...................

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 03:22:44 PM »
Count me in.   :)

Do I throw in the 3 masters degrees she also earned?......while working and then along came our kids.....and 4.0 in all three.

I did a triathalon yesterday...................

Drinking a beer while changing the channel and scratching your crotch doesn't count as a triathalon.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
So I'm not a world class athlete?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
Agreed. Bottom line: IF the standards were changed retroactively at the semester, that in and of itself was arbitrary and grossly unfair. IF, on top of that, someone is thrown under the bus who meets the standards the administration was using at mid semester you have Hiroshima. Before anyone breaks out the hackneyed "tin foil hat" stuff, please note: I said IF and put it in CAPS.

Agree.

My hope/guess if that MU is smart enough to give the guys a chance to make good.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa.   Back it up.

Here I thought the skies were all clear.

Squeeze fellas.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:02:24 PM by Stone Cold »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »
+1

He was definitely my biggest concern. I have to think him being back is a good sign, though this whole thing reinforces my belief that he won't be here 4 years. I think as soon as he's a 16+ ppg guy, he's headed to the Draft, even if he comes off the bench (ala Dion Waiters) to get it.

If he can be a 16+ ppg guy ala Dion Waiters I'll be the first guy to thank him for his service and wish him luck in the NBA, and I'll do the same for any others good enough to go pro before their eligibility has expired.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 04:26:54 PM »
If he can be a 16+ ppg guy ala Dion Waiters I'll be the first guy to thank him for his service and wish him luck in the NBA, and I'll do the same for any others good enough to go pro before their eligibility has expired.

Haha. Yes. Exactly right.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

nyg

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »
I have to throw this question out here, maybe someone knows. 

If player A does not make the appropriate grades, can the player sit out a semester and/or year, get his grades up to standards and re-join the team the following semester/year.  If so, does Player A lose the athletic scholarship for the sitting out the timeframe.

I am sure this has happened at other colleges/universities, where the athlete does not want to transfer, but stay at the institution.  Only issue would be if the institution does't want them because of the grades and sends them on their way. 

chren21

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »
It cannot be a 2.7.  There is no well in hell that is the new standard.  You can graduate from the University without ever getting a 2.7.  Don't believe this..and chren didn't believe it either...he simply asked the question.

Correct.  Does anyone know if new standards have been put in place?  If we do have new standards I can only imagine that buzz cannot be happy about the effect on recruiting it will have.  If there is new standards being put on him by his new bosses his consideration of smu makes much more sense. 

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
Correct.  Does anyone know if new standards have been put in place? 

Is this question rhetorical?  Nobody here has verified it, and there hasn't been anything from the school.  This has been  discussed here for weeks.  Maybe (a) WAIT AND SEE IF THIS STUFF ACTUALLY HAPPENS, or (b) email the athletic department?  You seem a bit more desperate to know than most. 

If we do have new standards I can only imagine that buzz cannot be happy about the effect on recruiting it will have.  If there is new standards being put on him by his new bosses his consideration of smu makes much more sense. 

"If... If...I can only imagine."  CLASSIC

feedback