'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Standards for hoops players  (Read 25865 times)

chren21

• All American
New Standards for hoops players
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »
Can someone just answer 2 questions.

Has MU raised thier standards so that our players will not be able to play unless they have a 2.7 GPA?

Is Mayo not going to be able to play cause of this and also will not be able to transfer to another school because of this?

Just some talk I heard from someone who would probably not make it up....

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: New Standards for hoops players
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »
If true, I think people will now understand why it has been referred to as Hiroshima...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:33:06 AM »
Can someone just answer 2 questions.

Has MU raised thier standards so that our players will not be able to play unless they have a 2.7 GPA?

Is Mayo not going to be able to play cause of this and also will not be able to transfer to another school because of this?

Theoretically, if the standards are higher, it would not result in a player not being able to transfer to another school as long as a player would have met the old standards as the old standards are/were at a minimum equal to NCAA/BE standards.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:36:35 AM »
If true, I think people will now understand why it has been referred to as Hiroshima...

Not Hiroshima, but Armageddon........

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
1. There is no evidence that this is the case...simply hearsay.  But changes in academic standards have been rumored.  2.7 seems ridiculously high in my opinion, so I doubt that is the case.

2. Mayo has been the I have been hearing since the end of last semester.  However I have also been told that his eligibility has been an issue for awhile and may not have any thing to do with any changes in standards.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:39:50 AM »
If Mayo was not going to be eligible to play or transfer, I can't imagine he'd still be enrolled in school as opposed to being overseas trying to sign on somewhere.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
Another question to ask for people who are there...is Mayo on campus?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »
Another question to ask for people who are there...is Mayo on campus?

Would be curious about this as well. The team should have arrived back last night or this morning.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
2.7 is ridiculous.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
Remember this impassioned Buzz quote?

Meanwhile, Williams gave an impassioned response when freshman guard Todd Mayo said "We pray all the time for God to stand on us. He definitely did today," while speaking in the interview room. Buzz explained Mayo's response had a deeper meaning.

"It's got to be about more than winning and losing. When you see kids grow and mature, especially when all the perspective of who they are is not really who they are. So that's why I got in the business, and that's why I'm still in the business. I think that's special, " Williams said.

"Faith, hope, and love, and the greatest of these is love, and a lot of these kids have never been loved. And when you've never been loved and you're 20-years-old and somebody tries to love you for the first time, you don't know how to handle it. And when you start talking about God for the first time and when you think about what those kids have been through in the previous 20 years, they're not sure there is a God. So when you start talking about love and you start talking about God and you're with kids every single day and you do it for about 150 days and they get up here and speak (which is a lot harder than you think) to people that they don't know, and they use the same words that you use, it means you're helping their life. That's what it means."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »
1. There is no evidence that this is the case...simply hearsay.  But changes in academic standards have been rumored.  2.7 seems ridiculously high in my opinion, so I doubt that is the case.

2.7 is ridiculously high. Wouldn't such a standard make Marquette the most difficult D1 university in the country relative to eligibility requirements? As someone else stated, forget Hiroshima - that would be Armageddon. I hesitate to say this is impossible, given that past presidents and the BOT have proven themselves capable of some very poor and shortsighted decisions. But I'll say it anyway - this is impossible.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »
Remember this impassioned Buzz quote?

Faith, hope and other's perceptions. And the most important of these is perceptions. MU's new motto?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:23:19 AM by Lennys Tap »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
I cannot believe that GPA needed will be raised to 2.7. If so, aside from a slew of academic All Americans not sure what good would come out of this.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:14:11 AM »

Just because your "someone" didn't make it up, doesn't mean the person who told him/her didn't.

Dang it, people... start questioning your sources. Ask them where they heard it and how they know.  We should be dispelling rumors here, not perpetuating them.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »
Wow, that would be terrible.  I never had a 2.7 during my entire time at Marquette. Part of the time there was from not studying, but the rest of the time was from working three jobs at once - at the milwaukee journal, news editor for the trib, and interning for a us senator.

Education should be about the whole experience at Marquette, and I've certainly had plenty of success even compared to many a 3.8 gpa student. McGuire isn't the only one to note thatthe c students often are more successful than the a students - especially if they've earned the c with a more well rounded effort like working or balancing studies with the rigors of d1 basketball.

I'd hire the latter any day, and it would be a travesty if MU set a 2.7 bar. No offense to the 4.0 students out there - including my wife - but I am going to just assume that is no the case, particularly I it meant chasing off mayo on that basis.  
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »
2.7 is ridiculous.

Or what was needed...

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »
Thank goodness we didn't need a 2.7 to get into the Avalanche. 
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
i missed it - where are they passing out the tin foil hats again?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
Or what was needed...

That's my guess.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 11:49:39 AM »
It cannot be a 2.7.  There is no well in hell that is the new standard.  You can graduate from the University without ever getting a 2.7.  Don't believe this..and chren didn't believe it either...he simply asked the question.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
ZFB was a 2.7 student.

Trust me, you don't want my ass anywhere near a d1 court.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 12:00:06 PM »
Bigger question...based off earlier post, is Mayo in or out? He is helluva player and don't want to lose him. Anyone know status?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 12:29:14 PM »
OK. Put the tinfoil hats away. Chren I believe that your "source" misunderstood something. No player was beholden to standards that increased to 2.7 overall GPA. It is the likely interpretation that Mayo had to attain that second semester to meet minimum NCAA standards which is why the transfer issue was raised. Don't know if he is eligible for next year or not. Looking into it. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
Wow, that would be terrible.  I never had a 2.7 during my entire time at Marquette. Part of the time there was from not studying, but the rest of the time was from working three jobs at once - at the milwaukee journal, news editor for the trib, and interning for a us senator.

Education should be about the whole experience at Marquette, and I've certainly had plenty of success even compared to many a 3.8 gpa student. McGuire isn't the only one to note thatthe c students often are more successful than the a students - especially if they've earned the c with a more well rounded effort like working or balancing studies with the rigors of d1 basketball.

I'd hire the latter any day, and it would be a travesty if MU set a 2.7 bar. No offense to the 4.0 students out there - including my wife - but I am going to just assume that is no the case, particularly I it meant chasing off mayo on that basis.  

I believe my final Marquette school of engineering GPA - rounded up - was 2.7.

My wife is one of those a 4.0 GPA students too.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »
ZFB was a 2.7 student.

Trust me, you don't want my ass anywhere near a d1 court.

Ha, yeah. Same here, thankfully I was eligible to play coed intertube water polo.

feedback