[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DeCourcy on BE- Calls out MU  (Read 25931 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: DeCourcy on BE- Calls out MU
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 12:58:03 PM »
Buzz has always said he'll stay as long as MU wants him, but it's a two way street. If the Big East dumps MU, it relegates us to mid major status. Losing the Big East makes Gonzaga and Xavier our ceiling. That's not what he signed up for and I wouldn't blame him if he felt unwanted under those circumstances.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
So how soon before the NCAA wises up and kick the BCS to the curb?

Never.

The NCAA is at the whim of its member institutions...especially the larger ones.  They will not be able to touch the football profits because the BCS schools won't let them.  If they try doing so, those schools can simply leave and do their own thing not only in football, but in each of the other sports that the NCAA relies on them for.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 01:01:07 PM »
Buzz has always said he'll stay as long as MU wants him, but it's a two way street. If the Big East dumps MU, it relegates us to mid major status. Losing the Big East makes Gonzaga and Xavier our ceiling. That's not what he signed up for and I wouldn't blame him if he felt unwanted under those circumstances.

Uh...was he in high demand when he "signed up" at MU? 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 01:01:54 PM »
Losing the Big East makes Gonzaga and Xavier our ceiling. That's not what he signed up for and I wouldn't blame him if he felt unwanted under those circumstances.

That's a helluva ceiling. I'm not sure many here would be unhappy with Xavier-like success.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »

How have we compared the last 10 years vs. Gonzaga or X???? Seems to me both the Zags and X have had more success than MU.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 01:47:22 PM »
Without Wade, X and Gonzaga are clearly ahead of MU for the decade.  I would take the highs of having Wade and the Final Four rather than more consistent March winning for the other two programs, but thats a toss up.

MU has the Al legacy which trumps them. 

We better appreciate X, because with the Big East, we would likely be headlining an A-10 type of conference with them. 

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 02:09:28 PM »
The article doesn't really call us out, just implies that it was a mistake adding us in terms of seeing the Big East as a football conference.

In fact it seems to be a congratulatory piece about the success of Marquette basketball making it a difficult decision. He seems to toss DePaul to the side easily, whereas they are in the same position as us. I think it's more of an article about how the Big East screwed up by considering us at all simply because we don't have a football program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 03:00:41 PM »

Uh...was he in high demand when he "signed up" at MU? 

I don't know what that has to do with it. My point is that when he signed MU's commitment to competing with the best was clear. A move from the Big East to, say, the A10 changes the landscape.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »
I don't know what that has to do with it. My point is that when he signed MU's commitment to competing with the best was clear. A move from the Big East to, say, the A10 changes the landscape.

My point is that if MU was still in the CUSA, he wouldn't have been waiting for offers for teams in more competitive conferences.  He still would have signed on as head coach.  So saying "that's not what he signed up for" is inaccurate.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
How have we compared the last 10 years vs. Gonzaga or X???? Seems to me both the Zags and X have had more success than MU.

I'm not saying that we've outdone Gonzaga or Xavier over the last 10 years. We haven't. I do think that that we have the potential (ceiling) to become a "top tier" Big East team (Syracuse, Nova, Pitt, Georgetown), and to me that's a step up from Gonzaga or Xavier. If we drop down to the A10, though, I think the most we can even HOPE for is to be Xavier.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »

My point is that if MU was still in the CUSA, he wouldn't have been waiting for offers for teams in more competitive conferences.  He still would have signed on as head coach.  So saying "that's not what he signed up for" is inaccurate.

He signed up to coach Marquette in the Big East and said he was here as long as Marquette wanted him. That was based in part on MU's commitment to compete at the highest level. If circumstances (a return to a CUSA like situation) make it impossible to compete at that level then MU shouldn't expect to keep him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Just think about it for a second
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »
Just think for one moment where we would be right now if we didn't accomplish what we did from 2000-2003.

For all the haters out there, just think about it for a second.  Would we even be in the Big East right now to have this discussion?

Would we have built the program up enough to be able to say 5 straight NCAA appearances?

Would we have been able to lure a head coach at another DI school to be an assistant (Buzz Williams)?

Timing is everything gang.  Just think about if we would be where we are today if not for what happened in that time period.  Takes some of that shine of the hate, now doesn't it!

bma725

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 03:57:18 PM »

Never.

The NCAA is at the whim of its member institutions...especially the larger ones.  They will not be able to touch the football profits because the BCS schools won't let them.  If they try doing so, those schools can simply leave and do their own thing not only in football, but in each of the other sports that the NCAA relies on them for.

They rely on the NCAA much more for those other sports than the NCAA relies on them.  That's perhaps the only reason the BCS schools haven't split off on their own already.  Administration of the other non-revenue sports is an overwhelming hassle that they don't want to take on.  They'd much rather leave it to the NCAA than try to deal with the headaches themselves.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »
They rely on the NCAA much more for those other sports than the NCAA relies on them.  That's perhaps the only reason the BCS schools haven't split off on their own already.  Administration of the other non-revenue sports is an overwhelming hassle that they don't want to take on.  They'd much rather leave it to the NCAA than try to deal with the headaches themselves.

Right.  Everything is in balance right now.  However, if the NCAA makes a grab at football money, that rapidly pushes it out of balance.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
"Just think for one moment where we would be right now if we didn't accomplish what we did from 2000-2003."

Translation: All hail the tan one...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 04:11:50 PM »

We better appreciate X, because with the Big East, we would likely be headlining an A-10 type of conference with them. 

This. We will see this sometime in the future. Some modified version of the A-10, with MU and Depaul in it, will more than likely be happening.  It might not be ideal, but it won't be Armageddon.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
"Just think for one moment where we would be right now if we didn't accomplish what we did from 2000-2003."

Well, he's right.  Without the work that Crean did leading up to the Final Four, we aren't in the BE.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 04:37:59 PM »
Wow.  We got thru 2+ whole pages of conference talk before he found a way to praise TC - must have fallen asleep...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »

Translation: All hail the tan one  even if you hate him and think he was a SOB, you've got to respect and appreciate what he brought to the program...

FTFY
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 04:41:28 PM »
If you don't pay your buck o'five who will.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »
It seems to me that Gonzaga and Xavier are better programs than us.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »
He signed up to coach Marquette in the Big East and said he was here as long as Marquette wanted him. That was based in part on MU's commitment to compete at the highest level. If circumstances (a return to a CUSA like situation) make it impossible to compete at that level then MU shouldn't expect to keep him.
Memphis competes at a high level. Losing the Big East conference would hurt, but it does not mean we will not still be competing at a high level.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2010, 05:00:11 PM »

Buzz signed on to coach New Orleans. Then he signed up to be an assistant coach at MU.  I seriously doubt that he felt that a successful Big East team represented the floor for someone with his coaching experience.  

Frankly, had we hired Brad Brownell instead of Buzz, its likely that Buzz would have been more than happy to sign up for the vacancy at Wright State.

Finally, given that both Gonzaga and Xavier (and let's throw in Butler) have reached the Sweet 16 or better during Buzz's tenure at MU, suggesting that those programs somehow operate at a lower competitive level seems to be contrary to fact.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »

Translation...timing is everything and hatred blinds reality.

john_cocktoasten

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2010, 05:15:20 PM »
if MU gets pushed out of the BE the program will begin to trend downward.

feedback