'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bronson Koenig.  (Read 25691 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Bronson Koenig.
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 03:05:26 PM »
My son has played against this kid numerous times.  He has been nothing but a ball hog/headcase player.  I wont be mad if we dont get him.
He is on the other team, he is not suppose to give your kid the ball. ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
Christopherson would have been a solid role player at MU.   I don't consider him a wasted schollie at all.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »
He was also the coach for the recruitment of DWade/Merritt/Diener/Novak/James/Matthews/McNeill/Hayward.  So, your point being.... ::)

Chicos?
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Eye

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 01:47:42 AM »
Wasn't that the dive bar up on like 20th and Wells?  How did they get to the state tourny?

You probably don't understand how completely appropriate it is to put Tomah and dive bar into the same sentence.
GO WARRIORS!

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 07:12:37 AM »
Do people understand that most of the real recruiting is done at AAU tournaments, not driving out to minor conference games in the middle of nowhere. Obviously coaches will see what a player does with their high school, but for the most part coaches prefer to get a look at players at the AAU where the playing field is more even. 

er...where the playing field is MUCH better competition
The "average fan" is an idiot.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 10:13:06 AM »
You are indeed correct 77ncaachamps.  Aquinas is a rather small high school as they are only in Division 3, but the conference they play in contains all Division 1 and 2 schools.  Would be great to land a kid from western Wisconsin if he can play.

Why? Is western Wisconsin a hotbed of hoops?

Also, wouldn't it be great to land a kid from anywhere if he can play?  ;)

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 10:34:04 AM »

You know what he means, no reason to get snippy. Adding local kids that can bring success is always good for a program...especially when Marquette is the enemy in most of Wisconsin.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 10:58:10 AM »
You know what he means, no reason to get snippy. Adding local kids that can bring success is always good for a program...especially when Marquette is the enemy in most of Wisconsin.

Why is bringing in local kids so important to some people? Do Duke and NC bring in a lot of players from NC? Does Kansas scour The Great Plains for local talent?

Under Mike Deane, it was important to bring in local kids because that was the best option. MU basketball is on a much bigger stage now. Wade put MU back on the map, Crean helped get MU into the Big East and now Buzz is carrying that on and creating a well-respected, national program. They bring in players from NY, NC, Florida, Texas, etc. Drooling over a 3-star recruit simply because he's from Eau Claire doesn't make sense when there are much better options available, even if it means bringing in players who are from a different time zone.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »

All the crappy D1 schools.  When is the last time a school from the LaCrosse area made the state tournament at the D1 level?

Let's see....kid from LaCrosse..."real deal" after freshman year....  I think I have heard this before.

TEAL?  Really?  I mean surely a team making the state tournament and an individual player directly correlate.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 11:35:36 AM »
Why is bringing in local kids so important to some people? Do Duke and NC bring in a lot of players from NC? Does Kansas scour The Great Plains for local talent?

Under Mike Deane, it was important to bring in local kids because that was the best option. MU basketball is on a much bigger stage now. Wade put MU back on the map, Crean helped get MU into the Big East and now Buzz is carrying that on and creating a well-respected, national program. They bring in players from NY, NC, Florida, Texas, etc. Drooling over a 3-star recruit simply because he's from Eau Claire doesn't make sense when there are much better options available, even if it means bringing in players who are from a different time zone.

First off, who said drooling? And I didnt say I even liked this player over other recruits we could get ( I dont know enough about 2013 recruits). But your your response to Stronghold that it wouldnt be nice to have success with local kids/Wisconsin kids is wrong and/or poorly communicated - What do you think we have been doing with Blue, Wilson and Maymom (and even Smith now)? Obviously Wisconsin is not a barren wasteland of hoops talent. We are not Duke. We are not UNC. We are not Kansas. Almost every other school understands that and puts an emphasis on recruiting and retaining the best local talent.

The barriers to entry/access to a local recruit are much lower than a national recruit hundreds/thousands of miles away. This is basketball where you need about 3-4 recruits a year, not 25 like football. Adding 1 or 2 every now and then is good for any program. We do not have the national recognition of private schools like Duke and Georgetown, so maintaining and strengthening our base is important.

Oh, and you know nothing of this kid. He is a 2013 recruit for god's sake! A lot can happen in recruiting rankings since he is only a sophomore. Oh and he is hearing regularly from Arizona, Butler, Iowa, Kansas, Louisville, Minnesota, North Carolina and Northern Iowa. I think there's more to like about this kid than just being from Eau Claire
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 08:53:47 AM »
I wasn't speaking about this kid specifically. I should have been more clear about that. The point I was making is that many MU fans seem to think that every marginal D1 recruit from Wisconsin should be at the top of Buzz's wishlist because "it's good for the program." What no one seems to explain, however, is WHY this is good for the program. Yes, it's nice to bring in "local" players when they're highly-rated recruits (Blue, Wilson, JPT?) but it's not any better for the program than bringing in a highly-rated recruit from a different part of the country.

Marquette is a nationally recognized program in arguably the best conference in the country. They no longer need to rely heavily on bringing in local talent, yet the obsession that some fans (not necessarily you, KC) have with signing local players is bizarre. Take Ben Mills, for example (I think that's his name - the big kid who was headed to Boise). Some posters talked about him like he was the second coming of Kareem and didn't understand why Buzz wasn't all over him, but the fact of the matter is that he's a marginal mid-major prospect...and MU is no longer a marginal mid-major.

As for Koenig, you're right. I know nothing of this kid. If he's a stud then I hope he comes to MU, but at the end of the day, I'm going to be skeptical when posters build up in-state recruits as All-Americans based largely on the fact that they're from Wisconsin.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 09:01:43 AM »
I wasn't speaking about this kid specifically. I should have been more clear about that. The point I was making is that many MU fans seem to think that every marginal D1 recruit from Wisconsin should be at the top of Buzz's wishlist because "it's good for the program." What no one seems to explain, however, is WHY this is good for the program. Yes, it's nice to bring in "local" players when they're highly-rated recruits (Blue, Wilson, JPT?) but it's not any better for the program than bringing in a highly-rated recruit from a different part of the country.

Marquette is a nationally recognized program in arguably the best conference in the country. They no longer need to rely heavily on bringing in local talent, yet the obsession that some fans (not necessarily you, KC) have with signing local players is bizarre. Take Ben Mills, for example (I think that's his name - the big kid who was headed to Boise). Some posters talked about him like he was the second coming of Kareem and didn't understand why Buzz wasn't all over him, but the fact of the matter is that he's a marginal mid-major prospect...and MU is no longer a marginal mid-major.

As for Koenig, you're right. I know nothing of this kid. If he's a stud then I hope he comes to MU, but at the end of the day, I'm going to be skeptical when posters build up in-state recruits as All-Americans based largely on the fact that they're from Wisconsin.

Gotcha. I agree...if they are marginal talents at best then the advantage they add to our program is moot. We want local kids, but we also want them to be great and lead Marquette to some special seasons or something along those lines.

In the end though...In Buzz I Trust...his marginal 3-star and under recruits have turned out to be anything but marginal so far.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »
What is a marginal recruit? Although the 10th through 13th player may move up the ladder as the player gets older, the 10th through 13th no matter how good are practice players. Now it is better that they are top 150 players vs being top 300, but the team is going to only play 7-9 players in a competitive game. It is hard to find a player that is happy sitting on the end of the bench. If the 10-13 player are unhappy they should transfer out. If they are happy they are valuable to the team. What is important in recruiting for MU is to sign two top 75 players a year and then add players that fit in. To expect more than that every year is unreasonable.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »
Mike Deane would have been all over Ben Mills.. like a fat lady on a stool.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 11:28:55 AM »
From an Article on WSN

Koenig, who is making a very strong case for being the top class of 2013 prospect in Wisconsin, currently holds scholarship offers from Green Bay, Marquette, Milwaukee, Texas-Corpus Christi, Toledo and Wisconsin. 

He is also hearing regularly from Arizona, Butler, Iowa, Kansas, Louisville, Minnesota, North Carolina and Northern Iowa. 

“I really had no idea things would go like they have when I started playing AAU back in April,” Koenig said. “It’s been crazy.” 

Koenig has been in recent communication with the coaching staff at North Carolina and calls the Tar Heel program his “dream school.” North Carolina coach Roy Williams watched Koenig in Wisconsin Dells last Friday. 

“I’ve always liked North Carolina,” he said. “Michael Jordan has always been my favorite player and that is where he went to school.”

Yes, he is saying nice things about MU in the article but this is almost exactly what Harrison Barnes said about UNC......and we all know how that one one turned out...this will be like Tokoto...fun to watch and hopefully not terribly disappointing.

http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/blog/message.aspx?f=123&id=1168299

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2010, 09:14:46 PM »
Quote from the article:
"Koenig has been in recent communication with the coaching staff at North Carolina and calls the Tar Heel program his “dream school.” "

Sounds a little like Novak.  Hopefully, he'll end up not being a serious candidate for them, either.

Then again, Joe Wolf.....
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2010, 01:19:04 AM »
Quote from the article:
"Koenig has been in recent communication with the coaching staff at North Carolina and calls the Tar Heel program his “dream school.” "

Sounds a little like Novak.  Hopefully, he'll end up not being a serious candidate for them, either.

Then again, Joe Wolf.....

Apples to Oranges: Koenig needs a serious growth spurt or duct tape a dwarf to his head to equal Joe Wolf's height.
SS Marquette

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2010, 01:29:38 AM »
I say if this kid from Lacrosse, WI is good enough to get a scholarship to UNC, he should go for it. It would certainly mean a lot more for a small-town WI kid to go to UNC than to one of the in-state schools.

Of course, if he is this good, I would also love to see him at MU.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2010, 02:24:16 PM »
still amazed on the power of Michael Jordan.  He's always been Koenig's favorite player. 
Jordan retired from the Bulls in 1998.  Wasn't Koenig about 4 years old in 1998?  Maybe he remembers the Wizard years.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:51 AM »

I guess being from northwestern Wisconsin it is somewhat of a personal thing.  Some idiots up there barely know Marquette exists, or think it's in Marquette, Michigan.  Maybe local kids going to MU can alter their blind obedience to the Badgers.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2010, 10:21:37 AM »
Pet Peeve, but really Northwestern Wisconsin.  La Crosse, is like the equivalent of Sheboygan/Fond Du Lac, while it is north, it is way more south than even the northern half of the state.  I know everyone says anything north of Milwaukee is Northern WI.  Rant over.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2010, 10:26:53 AM »
Two things come to mind after reading this string for the first time.

1.  I think it is nice when Mu signs a Wisconsin kid.  like stronghold states it help the brand equity throughout the state.   However, i am not from Wisconsin and am much less concerned about Mus perception in Wisconsin as i am Mu 's perception across the country.  If Mu can sign 4 and 5 star kids from Wisconsin then great if we sign three star kids from the state then that will ultimately hurt the program. Mu needs to find the best players regardless of location.

2.  point 1 leads into point 2.  Buzz has said before about recruitng in Texas and houston in particular is that it is exponentially easier.  IIRC like 5 years ago 30+ kids signed with D! schools in the same year from Houston.  Buzz staed he could go see a different D! prospect every night after practice by driving across town.  Versus having to get in a plane and flying to wherever where it become at minimum a 12-18 hour ordeal.  That is one nice thing about recruitng guys like a Mathhews or a Blue or is that he can be so much more effective as a recruiter and a coach and be infront of that kid numerous numerosu times with very littel effort.  Unfortunately recruiting to MU is tough becuase there is so little talent in the state, hence the reason Wisconsin has been the doormat of the B10 in basketball sans the last 10 years.  Chicago has been a blessing to Mu over the years .  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2010, 01:52:17 PM »

1.  I think it is nice when Mu signs a Wisconsin kid.  like stronghold states it help the brand equity throughout the state.   However, i am not from Wisconsin and am much less concerned about Mus perception in Wisconsin as i am Mu 's perception across the country.  If Mu can sign 4 and 5 star kids from Wisconsin then great if we sign three star kids from the state then that will ultimately hurt the program. Mu needs to find the best players regardless of location.

2.  point 1 leads into point 2.  Buzz has said before about recruitng in Texas and houston in particular is that it is exponentially easier.  IIRC like 5 years ago 30+ kids signed with D! schools in the same year from Houston.  Buzz staed he could go see a different D! prospect every night after practice by driving across town.  Versus having to get in a plane and flying to wherever where it become at minimum a 12-18 hour ordeal.  That is one nice thing about recruitng guys like a Mathhews or a Blue or is that he can be so much more effective as a recruiter and a coach and be infront of that kid numerous numerosu times with very littel effort.  Unfortunately recruiting to MU is tough becuase there is so little talent in the state, hence the reason Wisconsin has been the doormat of the B10 in basketball sans the last 10 years.  Chicago has been a blessing to Mu over the years .  

Here's the only problem with that....if Buzz leaves (yes, I know he's here as long as we will have him) and the replacement doesn't have a Texas connection, then you may have to go back to your roots which is Illinois, Wisconsin, midwest, etc.   The Texas connection is easier for Buzz, no doubt.  It makes sense for him to recruit heavily there and at the JUCO level since that is where his relationships are.  As long as we don't ignore the top prospects around the state, then that's fine.  For the record, I don't think he is ignoring the top prospects in the state and I hope that continues.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »

typo record?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2010, 02:47:45 PM »
typo record?

Not for him.  At least he started using paragraphs.

feedback