[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Video of students with new chant  (Read 16857 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: Video of students with new chant
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2012, 10:46:20 AM »
I hate to be a d*ck, but absolutely not.

It's the student section, not the "alumni suggestion section". The kids should do whatever they want.

A lot of alumni doubted what they could do on Saturday, so we are the last people that should be making suggestions on what they should/shouldn't be doing. 

Agree.  Let them do what they want, which might not actually involve obsessing over a nickname that now hasn't existed since before some of them were born.  My suggestion to other alumni is to bring an extra gold or blue shirt to give to the 4-5 idiots that continue to wear red in the lower bowl, looking like absolute morons.  You can spot them on the video here without difficulty.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »
My suggestion to other alumni is to bring an extra gold or blue shirt to give to the 4-5 idiots that continue to wear red in the lower bowl, looking like absolute morons.  You can spot them on the video here without difficulty.

Who was the young woman wearing a red dress that appeared to be a Marquette employee?

True story:  a neighbor of mine picked up a part time job at the athletic office.  Her first day on the job was a rather cold winter morning.  She wore a red sweater.  Cords kicked her out of the office, told her to go home and change, and to never wear red in the athletic office again.

Ludum habemus.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2012, 11:19:02 AM »
Who was the young woman wearing a red dress that appeared to be a Marquette employee?

True story:  a neighbor of mine picked up a part time job at the athletic office.  Her first day on the job was a rather cold winter morning.  She wore a red sweater.  Cords kicked her out of the office, told her to go home and change, and to never wear red in the athletic office again.

That kicks ass.  Damn right Cords!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2012, 12:21:28 PM »
So, yes, this is a fan site, not a student site.  However I would like to make a suggestion to those students that might read this thread:

Why not assemble a group of like-minded students and start an official Spirit Club (although I am sure you kids could come up with a hipper name)?  It would only take 1-2 dozen of you to meet from time to time, brainstorm cheer and chant ideas, come up with the choreography, spread yourselves through the student section on gameday, and get them going.  There are many students who might not have the time or the inclination to be official members, but I bet 99% of those at the game would follow along once the cheer gets going.  You could even set up a web or Facebook page where you post the cheers ahead of time for the rest of the student body.

Look at what happened when a couple of guys came up with an idea 24 hours before game time with no real implementation strategy. What would it be like if there was formal planning?

Just an idea........
Have some patience, FFS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2012, 12:29:32 PM »
So, yes, this is a fan site, not a student site.  However I would like to make a suggestion to those students that might read this thread:

Why not assemble a group of like-minded students and start an official Spirit Club (although I am sure you kids could come up with a hipper name)?  It would only take 1-2 dozen of you to meet from time to time, brainstorm cheer and chant ideas, come up with the choreography, spread yourselves through the student section on gameday, and get them going.  There are many students who might not have the time or the inclination to be official members, but I bet 99% of those at the game would follow along once the cheer gets going.  You could even set up a web or Facebook page where you post the cheers ahead of time for the rest of the student body.

Look at what happened when a couple of guys came up with an idea 24 hours before game time with no real implementation strategy. What would it be like if there was formal planning?

Just an idea........

There was something similar to this my freshman year at MU (98-99) but it disappeared by soph year. The team stunk and there was no Facebook, Twitter, etc so that didn't help. Given how easy it is to "reach the masses" today, I'd be surprised if something like this doesn't spring up again.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »
That kicks ass.  Damn right Cords!
Cords would not allow anything red into the office....down to the paper clips and m&m's....true story.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
I hate to be a d*ck, but absolutely not.

It's the student section, not the "alumni suggestion section". The kids should do whatever they want.

A lot of alumni doubted what they could do on Saturday, so we are the last people that should be making suggestions on what they should/shouldn't be doing. 

well o.k. then richard

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »
Agree.  Let them do what they want, which might not actually involve obsessing over a nickname that now hasn't existed since before some of them were born.  My suggestion to other alumni is to bring an extra gold or blue shirt to give to the 4-5 idiots that continue to wear red in the lower bowl, looking like absolute morons.  You can spot them on the video here without difficulty.

Agree, except for the girl in the pink sports bra they showed on TV.  She looked amazing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »
So if it doesn't happen at every game it makes what happened on Sat. less impressive? C'mon.

There was a 8 page thread crapping on the idea and they pulled it off. The internet geniuses (including me) doubted they could do it, and we were wrong.

Seems stupid to say that we should make some suggestions for future cheers, no?

The kids who came up with the idea(s) should be brainstorming some new ideas because obviously they have a much better understanding of the student section than the alumni on the internet.

+1.  Could not have said it better myself....

Student:  We want to do this cheer
Old Farts:  You don't want to do that cheer.  That will never work.  Back in the day...

<cheer works well>

Old Farts:  Well, that was pretty nice!  Now, here's how you can improve it...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
Cords would not allow anything red into the office....down to the paper clips and m&m's....true story.

So you're saying that Cords was the Van Halen of Athletic Directors? 

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/vanhalen.asp
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
It was really awesome, but it is a rip off. I like the cadence of it a lot, and the whole idea, but at the beginning of games I humbly submit that the students chant "Warriors come out to play" it has the same amount of syllables, is marquette specifc, time specific for the start or the game, and would probably be all kinds of awesome. PLus it doesn't have that wishy washy believe stuff in there.

I'm kind of sad there's no more games this year to try it. It has warriors in it, so the administration won't use its massive email list to promote it, but if this i believe chant catches on for next year, the student section could easily ignore it and use the cadence with the new words. Word gets out enough i think it could become really cool.

"WARRRRRRIORS COME OUT TO PLAY!"
Well, couldn't they officially have it as "MARQUETTE COME OUT TO PLAY" (same number of syllables again) to get the administration behind it and emailing it out to everyone but then have it unofficially known that it would be "WARRIORS COME OUT TO PLAY" when actually chanting it?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »
So you're saying that Cords was the Van Halen of Athletic Directors?

Or was just a little nuts...

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »
Well, couldn't they officially have it as "MARQUETTE COME OUT TO PLAY" (same number of syllables again) to get the administration behind it and emailing it out to everyone but then have it unofficially known that it would be "WARRIORS COME OUT TO PLAY" when actually chanting it?

I like the way you think.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

boyonthedock

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2012, 02:38:39 PM »

It's slightly different syllable wise (warr-i-ors vs. marrrrrrrr - quette) but close enough to work. ok, everybody remember this for next year. I know i will.