[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Anderson two weeks away from return, pending medical clearance  (Read 11361 times)

PaintTouchesSays

Anderson two weeks away from return, pending medical clearance

Written by: Andrei Greska

A few days removed from the completion of his freshman year at Marquette, Oakland, Cali., native Juan Anderson underwent shoulder surgery after injuring his right shoulder in an open-gym session. The sophomore forward was given a sixth month timeline for … Continue reading →

http://painttouches.com/2012/09/21/anderson-two-weeks-away-from-return-pending-medical-clearance/

tower912

• All American
Timely, informative, non-speculative, no hyperbole......what in the hell is this doing on scoop?     ;D

Nice work, Andrei
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PaintTouchesSays

[PaintTouches]Anderson two weeks away from return, pending medical clearance
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
Anderson two weeks away from return, pending medical clearance

Written by: Andrei Greska

A few days removed from the completion of his freshman year at Marquette, Oakland, Calif., native Juan Anderson underwent shoulder surgery after injuring his right shoulder in an open-gym session. The sophomore forward was given a six-month timeline for his … Continue reading →

http://painttouches.com/2012/09/21/anderson-two-weeks-away-from-return-pending-medical-clearance/

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, then when articles from elsewhere that are posted to MUScoop and used to start threads are updated, that update now results in a new post to the thread that was already started rather than resulting in a new MUScoop thread.

Awesome work there moderators!!!!!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
Murray,
Its past your bedtime
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Slim

• All American
Will he be able to participate in boot camp?

Earl Tatum

• All American
Hope he contributes more than last year. Reminds me of Jamail Jones. Nothing

AZWarrior

• All American

Might want to try constructive criticism next time.   ::)

From my recollection, we had him playing out of position as more of a 4, when he seems to me to be a 3.  I realize we're supposed to have "switchables", but I think he would have more of a chance to look  good if we have him to start with the ball outside and work in, as opposed to having him set up in the paint and receive the ball.   My recollections of details from last season are sketchy, but that's how I recall him being used on offense, which was a result of Ox missing time.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

GGGG

• All American
Injured early...limited largely to mop up time...needed to add some bulk.  I think it might be tough for him this year as well because I think Taylor will be backing up Wilson with Mayo, Lockett and Blue playing the guard spots.  But can see him getting more and more time if he sticks with it.

bilsu

• All American
Jones was a one dimensional player. Anderson has much more upside than Jones. I know they will not, but they should redshirt Anderson this year. That would give him enough time to fully recover and work on his weaknesses.

GGGG

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Anderson two weeks away from return, pending medical clearance
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »
I just think there is going to be a time this year that we will need Juan....just like we needed Jones last year.

Earl Tatum

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Anderson two weeks away from return, pending medical clearance
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I hope so he will be better than Jones. I bleed MU colors in Badgers territory in mid-Wisconsin

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »
Juan Anderson is gonna be a player in my opinion. High character kid who supported the team last year regardless.
His frosh year was all bad luck and I wish he had a chance to show his skills. The one thing holding him back now is probably
the fact he couldn't lift and really add any strength to his frame,but I really like his game.

Marqevans

• All American
I thought Juan rebounded well and dove after every loose ball when he was in there.

bilsu

• All American
I thought Juan rebounded well and dove after every loose ball when he was in there.
+1
When Juan was in the game you knew he was in there.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 08:40:57 AM »
I just think there is going to be a time this year that we will need Juan....just like we needed Jones last year.

I agree. Hopefully, it's more than Juan time this season.
SS Marquette

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 08:41:17 AM »
Jones was a one dimensional player. Anderson has much more upside than Jones. I know they will not, but they should redshirt Anderson this year. That would give him enough time to fully recover and work on his weaknesses.

Jones was shaping up to be a very good player, and was only asked to leave Marquette due to non-basketball reasons.

I'm sure Juan will come into his own soon.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 08:43:16 AM »
And that is why he was different than Jones.  Jones seemed content to hang out on the perimeter.  Those were the reports even out of the ProAm.  OTOH, people remarked that Anderson always seemed to get rebounds and loose balls.  The only concern I have is that I am not sure how much of a scorer he is going to be....I can't think of one thing offensively that he has shown that he can do particularly well.  Hopefully with time his overall game can develop.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
Jones was shaping up to be a very good player, and was only asked to leave Marquette due to non-basketball reasons.

Can't say I agree with your first statement and was totally unaware regarding your second.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 09:40:02 AM »
Can't say I agree with your first statement and was totally unaware regarding your second.

I never saw Jones play well in a game, but I know that the coaches were still high on him.  I guess we'll never know now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »
And that is why he was different than Jones.  Jones seemed content to hang out on the perimeter.  Those were the reports even out of the ProAm.  OTOH, people remarked that Anderson always seemed to get rebounds and loose balls.  The only concern I have is that I am not sure how much of a scorer he is going to be....I can't think of one thing offensively that he has shown that he can do particularly well.  Hopefully with time his overall game can develop.
Juan is a very good passer. I think he has a chance to be a very good offensive player. He tries to do to much with the ball, which gets him in trouble. He needs to be physically stronger and try to be more fundamently sound when he has the ball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
He's very active.

That doesn't mean he's good (yet), but he's active.

Could fill a small role this year, and will have a chance to fill a bigger role as a versatile forward next year.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »
Juan is a very good passer. I think he has a chance to be a very good offensive player. He tries to do to much with the ball, which gets him in trouble. He needs to be physically stronger and try to be more fundamently sound when he has the ball.
I agree. Very impressive last year in the pro-am.

If he is on the court with Jamil, Todd, and Junior, then I think the outstanding passing will lead to many good shots.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 10:26:49 AM »
What stands out on Juan is his long frame and ability to reach high for loose balls and rebounds.  Very active, of course.  What else stands out is his ability to do a little of everything: pass, dribble, jump, etc.

On the negative side what stands out is that he doesn't always know what he is doing/where to be, but as a freshman that isn't too unusual.  And that he is very thin.  Kind of hard to mix it up inside with how thin he is, but at least he is willing to try.

He may be a year away, if he can put on some weight.  But he could surprise this year during a streak or two and help us win a couple of games this year.  I don't think you redshirt him unless he isn't fully recovered by Nov 9th (or Nov 11th if he doesn't play in the Ohio State game).

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »
Besides being aggressive to the ball, which he does, I think I only saw him make a few lay-ups last year, can he shot the ball?  I think he has the same distance that Pat Smith had
under Al, you can only shot lay-ups.  As a senior in high school, he looked like he had an offensive game, did Buzz ruin it, his video looked liked he could shot the three, the next year
no way, what happens after high school, they lose there confidence?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
Besides being aggressive to the ball, which he does, I think I only saw him make a few lay-ups last year, can he shot the ball?  I think he has the same distance that Pat Smith had
under Al, you can only shot lay-ups.  As a senior in high school, he looked like he had an offensive game, did Buzz ruin it, his video looked liked he could shot the three, the next year
no way, what happens after high school, they lose there confidence?
They may lose confidence, but that is because of the step up in competition. At 6'6" Juan was big in high school. Just like Vander who athletically was way above most high school players. Now Vander is slightly above average athletically and has to learn to adjust offensively. I think the hardest thing to project about a player is how he will adapt to the college game. Some players have a hard time adjusting to the higher competition level. Others, like Gardner just seem to adapt. How could anyone guess that Gardner at 330 lbs in high school would have any success as a freshmen in college? I believe (hoping) that Taylor is the same as Gardner. I think both were underrated, because rankings have no way to measure adaptability. Gardner and Taylor(?) are adapters that can step up against tougher competition, while players like Eric Williams and Jamail Jones did not. Juan has been unlucky so far, so it is hard to tell if he can adapt his game to the college level. I like his attitude, so I have high hopes for him taking his game up a few notches.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
They may lose confidence, but that is because of the step up in competition. At 6'6" Juan was big in high school. Just like Vander who athletically was way above most high school players. Now Vander is slightly above average athletically and has to learn to adjust offensively. I think the hardest thing to project about a player is how he will adapt to the college game. Some players have a hard time adjusting to the higher competition level. Others, like Gardner just seem to adapt. How could anyone guess that Gardner at 330 lbs in high school would have any success as a freshmen in college? I believe (hoping) that Taylor is the same as Gardner. I think both were underrated, because rankings have no way to measure adaptability. Gardner and Taylor(?) are adapters that can step up against tougher competition, while players like Eric Williams and Jamail Jones did not. Juan has been unlucky so far, so it is hard to tell if he can adapt his game to the college level. I like his attitude, so I have high hopes for him taking his game up a few notches.

I hope you are right, but if there is no PT time for him, I hope he red-shirts.  Every summer these kids lose is critical to there development, if he has any talent hope he does waste this
year on the pine

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:04 AM »
I also think he should redshirt. He is more likely to get reinjure if they rush him back.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 08:23:14 AM »
I'm of the opinion that it is only in very rare circumstances that you redshirt a basketball player.  We only have 11 scholarship players not named Jake Thomas on this team.  A couple injuries and you are going to need Juan.  And yeah I understand that a redshirt can be yanked at any time, but I don't think that mentally prepares you well enough.  I really doubt a healthy Juan is redshirted.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 08:29:22 AM »
I'm of the opinion that it is only in very rare circumstances that you redshirt a basketball player.  We only have 11 scholarship players not named Jake Thomas on this team.  A couple injuries and you are going to need Juan.  And yeah I understand that a redshirt can be yanked at any time, but I don't think that mentally prepares you well enough.  I really doubt a healthy Juan is redshirted.
The question is when Juan is healthy enough to contribute? The same question for Otule? The early 9 game November schedule is not good for either of them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 08:38:16 AM »
Well since Juan was "cleared" I would think he would be healthy enough.  The real question is that by missing an entire summer and fall if he is going to be strong enough, and in game shape to contribute.  That is a question that might not be able to be answered right away.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 09:00:18 AM »

Sultan, you're forgetting that when a player redshirts, he returns as a stronger, faster, more skilled basketball player and about 50% of the time he grows 2-3". Juan is just a redshirt away from being the next MKG.

There's no reason to redshirt a player who's healthy enough to play 6 weeks before the season starts. If he's been cleared but won't be healthy for more than 6 weeks then MU needs a new medical staff. Missing the offseason hurts no doubt, but Juan has a chance to be a contributor this season, especially down the stretch (i.e when it matters the most). He obviously needs to get stronger but his main issue last season was the speed of the game and the fact that he needed to think too much. This season he should be more relaxed and comfortable on the floor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 09:08:19 AM »
Sultan, you're forgetting that when a player redshirts, he returns as a stronger, faster, more skilled basketball player and about 50% of the time he grows 2-3". Juan is just a redshirt away from being the next MKG.

Heh.  Exactly.  That is what turned J.P. Gavinski into Shaquille O'Neal and is going to turn Evan Anderson into Kevin Garnett.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 09:24:21 AM »
Wow, I'll have some of that brew that turns traditionals into brothers.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »
Wow, I'll have some of that brew that turns traditionals into brothers.

Why, are you tired of being a traditional?