[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Aug. 3 Pro-Am Highlights and Analysis  (Read 5545 times)

PaintTouchesSays

[PaintTouches]Aug. 3 Pro-Am Highlights and Analysis
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:45:05 PM »
Aug. 3 Pro-Am Highlights and Analysis

Written by: Andrei Greska

Vander Blue went off in the fourth quarter, rattling off about six gym-shaking dunks when Jamil Wilson’s team decided to leave the “scantron” bubbles unfilled instead of going with straight C’s as most vanquished test takers do. Alas, you will … Continue reading →

http://painttouches.com/2012/08/03/aug-3-pro-am-highlights-and-analysis/

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: [PaintTouches]Aug. 3 Pro-Am Highlights and Analysis
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »
I like your analysis of Vander's shot.

It is amazing that guys who are that athletic, and spend a TON of time in the gym can't seem to find good form/rhythm in their jumpshot. DJames was the same way. Their form is 90% good, but it's mechanical and not very rhythmic (the other 10%).

McNeal's 3pt form was different from his regular jumper. It was more of a set-shot, but it required a lot less moving parts and obviously he had enough strength to shoot it effectively.

I don't know if coaches want to mess with mechanics that much or not. For guys like Vander and Junior, I'm more worried about their ability to catch and shoot 3's than I am about them creating their own 3's. They don't need a lot of lift to shoot an open "catch and shoot" 3pter. They would both score more points and be far more efficient if they could knock down 2 open 3's per game.

The more I think about it, the more I think Jake is going to get minutes this year. MU just can't replace all of the points from last year with more 2pt shooting this year. They have to get something outside. OR, they are going to have to work a lot with Jamil in the high post and DeDe on the block to prevent teams from 2-3 zone and hard-doubling the post on every entry pass.

If teams double the post, and gardner can kick out, MU will have the opportunity to make an extra pass and get a wide open look. They have to knock those down (maybe Jake is that specific weapon). If they can't make those shots, I'm afraid teams will just wash/rinse/repeat and force MU to keep shooting them and/or frustrate MU's guards into driving into traffic. Then, we will get the "X player is out of control" posts.

If they shoot it well, this team could be very, very good. (top 15). If they struggle, they will be very streaky. Some nights they will look great (like top 10 good), and other nights they could lose to DePaul.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
The one thing about Jake Thomas is that he's boom or bust, which can be a good thing in the sense that you know what you are going to get. He has put up a lot of volume in the pro-am setting and has a decent success rate, but most of his makes come in bursts. If he makes one he's making three more.

I think this makes it a bit easier to know when/if you can use him for extended minutes. Put him out there before a media TO and let him try and start the microwave. If he misses a few, you sit him for the half and that's that.

I agree he is much better than your average walk-on, but I am not in the camp that believes he will average double digit minutes.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »
The one thing about Jake Thomas is that he's boom or bust, which can be a good thing in the sense that you know what you are going to get. He has put up a lot of volume in the pro-am setting and has a decent success rate, but most of his makes come in bursts. If he makes one he's making three more.

I think this makes it a bit easier to know when/if you can use him for extended minutes. Put him out there before a media TO and let him try and start the microwave. If he misses a few, you sit him for the half and that's that.

I agree he is much better than your average walk-on, but I am not in the camp that believes he will average double digit minutes.

Totally fair. I've only seen him play/practice 3 times, so my evaluation is limited. If he is streaky, then you are right, that can be good and bad. In the times I have seen him however, the players do look for him on offense, and all of the defensive players identify the "shooter" when he's in. That's more than any other walk-on I've seen.

If Mayo is back and continues to show improvement in catch and shoot situations, then Jake might find himself nailed to the bench.

But, if Mayo isn't back, I think there are some minutes out there for somebody who can shoot. It's similar to Otule. Otule isn't really a great player, but his skill-set is unique on this roster (shot blocking/overall space eater), so he's going to get minutes.

If Jake really is the best 3pt shooter, then there will be spot minutes available for him. (maybe 8min avg.?)

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
Totally fair. I've only seen him play/practice 3 times, so my evaluation is limited. If he is streaky, then you are right, that can be good and bad. In the times I have seen him however, the players do look for him on offense, and all of the defensive players identify the "shooter" when he's in. That's more than any other walk-on I've seen.

If Mayo is back and continues to show improvement in catch and shoot situations, then Jake might find himself nailed to the bench.

But, if Mayo isn't back, I think there are some minutes out there for somebody who can shoot. It's similar to Otule. Otule isn't really a great player, but his skill-set is unique on this roster (shot blocking/overall space eater), so he's going to get minutes.

If Jake really is the best 3pt shooter, then there will be spot minutes available for him. (maybe 8min avg.?)

Maybe with 10 seconds to go and down 3?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »

If he averages 8 minutes a game I will be shocked. Unless he can play defense, he will be lucky to get a few minutes.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 07:13:10 PM »

I think most three point shooters have success in spurts. Last year DJO would all of a sudden hit two in a row. The same thing for Crowder. A close game and all of a sudden they would hit key threes. The difference between those two and Thomas is that Thomas will not see as much floor time to go on a streak. Jones was a three point streak shooter also. The trouble was in his time here he only went on streaks twice. His first year against Pitt(?) and last year against Cincy. Having watch both Jones and Thomas in the pro am, I believe Thomas is a better three point shooter and also a better all around player than Jones was. Thomas will not get much playing time, if Mayo returns. However, if Mayo does not and with Taylor abandoning ship Thomas will get most of the backup minutes at the two, which will be more then 10  minutes a game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
It is very likely that Mayo will be back...so we can stop this crazy Jake Thomas talk.

And yeah, they hit VB's jump shot problems right on the head.  He simply jumps too high.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 07:54:28 PM »
Mayo's not going anywhere.  He would've announced a transfer by now.  He wants to play pro ball.  He's not going to sit out a year and be a 22/23 year old sophomore.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 08:09:17 PM »
Mayo's not going anywhere.  He would've announced a transfer by now.  He wants to play pro ball.  He's not going to sit out a year and be a 22/23 year old sophomore.

Well he is suspended.  So it may not be his choice.  But he will likely be back.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »

Well he is suspended.  So it may not be his choice.  But he will likely be back.

But for how long until he stops going to class again?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
If he was as bad off as I was told he was, it is somewhat of a miracle that he is even eligible.  My guess is that he has seen the light.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
It is very likely that Mayo will be back...so we can stop this crazy Jake Thomas talk.

And yeah, they hit VB's jump shot problems right on the head.  He simply jumps too high.

C'mon Sultan. It's not crazy to think he could play 8min. per game.

For reference, Jamail Jones avg. 8.5min last year in 28 games. Trend blackledge avg. about 7min. his senior year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 09:44:05 PM »

C'mon Sultan. It's not crazy to think he could play 8min. per game.

For reference, Jamail Jones avg. 8.5min last year in 28 games. Trend blackledge avg. about 7min. his senior year.

They weren't walk-ons.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »

They weren't walk-ons.

Alright, agree to disagree. We can revisit in conf. season and then we can see who is right.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 04:32:08 AM »
If you told Vander Blue to lock up Jake Thomas in a pick-up game, Thomas would be 0-of-0 with 0 points. When he gets space, he's as good a shooter as I've seen at Marquette in five years (McNeal included). But a scrimmage is one thing, and a Big East game setting is another.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »
And the only reason Jamail got up to 8 minutes per game was because Buzz pretty much had an open rotation at the beginning of the year, and because they just needed his body at WVU and Notre Dame.  Cincinnati was the only game where he deserved the minutes he got.

Thomas won't be in the rotation enough to get those 15-20 minutes games early in the season to get him up to 8 by the time the season is over.  Those minutes will go to scholarship players like Ferguson and Anderson.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 07:53:42 AM »
And the only reason Jamail got up to 8 minutes per game was because Buzz pretty much had an open rotation at the beginning of the year, and because they just needed his body at WVU and Notre Dame.  Cincinnati was the only game where he deserved the minutes he got.

Thomas won't be in the rotation enough to get those 15-20 minutes games early in the season to get him up to 8 by the time the season is over.  Those minutes will go to scholarship players like Ferguson and Anderson.

Agree to disagree, we'll revisit during conf. season.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »
If you told Vander Blue to lock up Jake Thomas in a pick-up game, Thomas would be 0-of-0 with 0 points. When he gets space, he's as good a shooter as I've seen at Marquette in five years (McNeal included). But a scrimmage is one thing, and a Big East game setting is another.

This is little doubt in my mind that Jake is the worst player on the team. But, he does 1 thing better than everybody else, and that thing has value.

There are open shots available in MU's offense. Jake will never be creating his own.   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 08:07:41 AM »
If he was as bad off as I was told he was, it is somewhat of a miracle that he is even eligible.  My guess is that he has seen the light.

So from what you've heard his issue was primarily academics; Todd not going to class or getting decent grades?  I think I read that he did better in first session this summer, yes?

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 08:15:19 AM »
This is little doubt in my mind that Jake is the worst player on the team. But, he does 1 thing better than everybody else, and that thing has value.

There are open shots available in MU's offense. Jake will never be creating his own.   

Kinda like Novak in the NBA, aina?  Jake is a one dimensional weapon.....but that is one helluva weapon!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
Kinda like Novak in the NBA, aina?  Jake is a one dimensional weapon.....but that is one helluva weapon!

Correct, now Novak is an extreme example, but it's similar.

Anyways, Jake is not an elite shooter (like Novak), but this team might really need some scoring punch from 3pt, and he's got the best shot at providing it.

Now, if the rest of the roster improves their shooting ability, then Jake won't play, and everybody can laugh at me, and I'll eat sh*t.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »
Jake led his team today with 21 points per IWB's twitter. I'm going to ink him for 8.5 MPG now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 09:37:50 PM »
So from what you've heard his issue was primarily academics; Todd not going to class or getting decent grades?  I think I read that he did better in first session this summer, yes?

Not sure of all the details...just the outcome.  And it looks good from what I have heard.