[Today at 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023-24 NBA Thread  (Read 63968 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2023-24 NBA Thread
« Reply #1275 on: January 13, 2024, 10:49:10 AM »
What happens 10 years from now when, for whatever reason, Marquette has some kind of event/celebration and Wojo is introduced at Fiserv? Will thousands stand and boo? Jeesh, I hope not.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1276 on: January 13, 2024, 11:02:45 AM »
What happens 10 years from now when, for whatever reason, Marquette has some kind of event/celebration and Wojo is introduced at Fiserv? Will thousands stand and boo? Jeesh, I hope not.

There was a smattering of boos after the Butler game. Crean's image was booed for a decade on the video screen.

The fact of the matter is Jerry Reinsdorf never took the blame for dismantling that team. Always saying I offered Phil his chance to return while telling Krause to blow them up out of the other side of his mouth.

This reaction to Krause was predictable. It should have been a separate ceremony. Why celebrate the court greatness while honoring the business side of building and dismantling?  No clue.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1277 on: January 13, 2024, 11:09:28 AM »
Also, they didn’t even introduce each individual member of the ‘95-‘96 team. Longley came from Australia for this, and they couldn’t give him or other guys a 10 second intro and ovation.

Ridiculous.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1278 on: January 13, 2024, 11:25:31 AM »
But not surprising. Society as a whole has become more self-absorbed and selfish. It seems more and more care only about what they feel and think "right now," and show less empathy, thought, and care for others.

I feel for Krause's family. They shouldn't have had to do that. And if you didn't like Krause, you could have just stayed silent.

Or it has been that way for a very long time and we just have footage at our fingertips at all times.

Either way poor form by Bulls fans. Krause didn’t do himself many favors at times with his messaging but he built a dynasty.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1279 on: January 13, 2024, 11:26:54 AM »
Read in the Athletic that they only planned it six weeks ago? That can't be right can it?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1280 on: January 13, 2024, 11:33:04 AM »

There are people that would boo Markus Howard
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1281 on: January 13, 2024, 11:34:09 AM »
Read in the Athletic that they only planned it six weeks ago? That can't be right can it?

No, that tracks for the Org

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1282 on: January 13, 2024, 11:44:25 AM »
No, that tracks for the Org
Feels like a knee jerk reaction to the reduced attendance. I'm not joking.

Maybe a statue of Zach LaVine next to MJ's next?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1283 on: January 13, 2024, 11:53:01 AM »
Feels like a knee jerk reaction to the reduced attendance. I'm not joking.

Maybe a statue of Zach LaVine next to MJ's next?

Lonzo Ball appreciation night and they hand out little models of knees rife with lead paint sponsored by a below average NW suburbs orthopedic clinic with poorly concealed mob ties.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1284 on: January 13, 2024, 12:09:02 PM »
Lonzo Ball appreciation night and they hand out little models of knees rife with lead paint sponsored by a below average NW suburbs orthopedic clinic with poorly concealed mob ties.
;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1285 on: January 13, 2024, 01:05:54 PM »

The fact of the matter is Jerry Reinsdorf never took the blame for dismantling that team. Always saying I offered Phil his chance to return while telling Krause to blow them up out of the other side of his mouth.

This reaction to Krause was predictable. It should have been a separate ceremony. Why celebrate the court greatness while honoring the business side of building and dismantling?  No clue.

Oh, I totally agree (and have said so on Scoop) about the way the Jerrys blew up the Bulls. Reinsdorf did Chicago dirty.

And I agree with you, Dish and others that the entire ceremony was ill-conceived and ultimately poorly conducted.

As for the booing ... maybe it was predictable that hundreds or however many idiots would boo a widow, but it's still shameful IMHO.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1286 on: January 13, 2024, 02:29:47 PM »
Even before Last Dance, Krause’s legacy was complex and there wasn’t a ton of love lost there.  I get the lingering bad feelings.

That being said, it would have been crass and embarrassing to boo a video memory of him in recognition or something.  To loudly and boisterously boo his geriatric widow is just beyond gross.  I felt physically uncomfortable  watching the video clip.  I couldn’t imagine the cringe being there in person

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1287 on: January 14, 2024, 08:39:23 AM »
The NBA says the main finding from its study on load management:

Results from these analyses do not suggest that missing games for rest or load management — or having longer breaks between game participation — reduces future in-season injury risk," the report said, in bold type, in its summary.

"In addition, injury rates were not found to be higher during or immediately following periods of a dense schedule."

The report said that remained true even when factoring in things like player age, minutes played and injury history.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-claims-no-link-between-load-management-and-injury-risk-in-report-003004551.html

• All American
« Reply #1288 on: January 14, 2024, 08:45:01 AM »
The NBA says the main finding from its study on load management:

Results from these analyses do not suggest that missing games for rest or load management — or having longer breaks between game participation — reduces future in-season injury risk," the report said, in bold type, in its summary.

"In addition, injury rates were not found to be higher during or immediately following periods of a dense schedule."

The report said that remained true even when factoring in things like player age, minutes played and injury history.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-claims-no-link-between-load-management-and-injury-risk-in-report-003004551.html

From the ESPN article linked.

"Dr. Christina Mack, epidemiologist and and chief scientific officer at IQVIA Injury Surveillance & Analytics, which produced the report, was careful to point out that the report does not say that load management doesn't work, either."

Sounds like a great study.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1289 on: January 14, 2024, 08:54:43 AM »

"Dr. Christina Mack, epidemiologist and and chief scientific officer at IQVIA Injury Surveillance & Analytics, which produced the report, was careful to point out that the report does not say that load management doesn't work, either."

Ha!

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1290 on: January 14, 2024, 09:56:42 AM »

What the hell is going on with academic and scientific standards? It would be fun to see how much money they were paid to basically do nothing.

• All American
« Reply #1291 on: January 14, 2024, 10:01:54 AM »
What the hell is going on with academic and scientific standards? It would be fun to see how much money they were paid to basically do nothing.

The NBA commissioned a study but the data didn’t draw definitive conclusions. Do you want them to lie or just give their opinion instead?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1292 on: January 14, 2024, 10:08:13 AM »
The NBA commissioned a study but the data didn’t draw definitive conclusions. Do you want them to lie or just give their opinion instead?
So what is this?

• All American
« Reply #1293 on: January 14, 2024, 10:27:37 AM »
So what is this?

Right. Injury rates didn’t increase after a dense schedule. But that doesn’t mean they can draw a definitive conclusion, likely because it’s not statistically significant. Have you ever taken a statistics course?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1294 on: January 14, 2024, 11:07:06 AM »
Right. Injury rates didn’t increase after a dense schedule. But that doesn’t mean they can draw a definitive conclusion, likely because it’s not statistically significant. Have you ever taken a statistics course?
I have taken statistics, brutal :(

I can understand a result of 'not enough data to make a conclusion and we need to continue the study to accumulate sufficient data points'.

If the data is considered sufficient to make a conclusion, and the conclusion is that there is no material advantage with load management and in fact the available data says zero advantage, then there is your answer.

They appears to say "the study says no advantage but don't accept the results". Would that pass doctoral dissertation standards? (I actually don't know)

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1295 on: January 14, 2024, 02:03:44 PM »
I know I said I would be silent about Pat Williams (Bulls player for people who don't know) but at the midway point of the season (I believe he will be out for game 41) here is where he stands compared to last year:
       2023-24  (V.2022-23)
MIN    27.4      (-1.1)
PTS      9.8      (-0.4)
FG%   45.0      (-1.4)
3FG% 40.8      (-1.3)
REB      3.9      (-0.1)
BLKS    0.8      (-0.1)
AST      1.6      (0.4)
TO        1.3      (0.1)

Similar to S. Hauser - Sam may be better if he played 27MPG - who makes $2M/YR.

I know people on this board agree that still we don't see a $200M player in year 4. Due to his age I can see 3YR - $36M.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1296 on: January 14, 2024, 08:56:45 PM »
Pretty wild Bucks/Kings game. Bucks blow a late lead in regulation, then the Kings were up 4 with 18 seconds left in OT and went to the line for 2 free throws and found a way to lose.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1297 on: January 14, 2024, 09:17:47 PM »
Pretty wild Bucks/Kings game. Bucks blow a late lead in regulation, then the Kings were up 4 with 18 seconds left in OT and went to the line for 2 free throws and found a way to lose.

Shame on me, I turned it off after the foul down 4

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: January 15, 2024, 08:06:45 AM »
The Bucks have their probs but that was a ridiculous game winner by Lillard.  How many Scoopers could make that shot in an open gym with 100 attempts?

• All American
« Reply #1299 on: January 15, 2024, 08:08:14 AM »
The Bucks have their probs but that was a ridiculous game winner by Lillard.  How many Scoopers could make that shot in an open gym with 100 attempts?

With the defenders and the fade away? Probably a couple.

From that exact spot as a jump shot? Quite a few.