'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC  (Read 254107 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC
« Reply #775 on: July 13, 2015, 08:32:39 PM »
No, you don't know sh1t about finance. And who cares who you ignore.

So you think the state can take 80 million in debt service and apply it to the UW school system if the Bucks leave? I'm a little confused what was so wrong with his statement.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #776 on: July 13, 2015, 11:01:42 PM »
Just going to leave this here...

Absolutely correct....it's the same spiel each and every week.  It's formulaic.

I think he's wrong on some stuff and right on others.  I've been consistent on public financing of stadiums forever on this board.  Nothing has changed.   The money is there where the taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for it.  I don't need John Oliver to say it, I've provided multiple other opinions that support my position.   I happily provided Oliver because he seems to have so much street cred with folks here....more so than some boring guy just running the numbers.

The economic benefits are crap, and overstated.  There is plenty of money to get this done without taxpayer money if they push hard enough.  If not, and they leave...they leave.  I'm sure it will get done somehow, but using public money for this stuff is not ideal.  That has been my tune for as long as I can remember.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Since folks are such big John Oliver fans around here
« Reply #777 on: July 13, 2015, 11:02:59 PM »
Well, if we can't rely on comedians for our advice who can we count on? I hear George Carlin, greatest comedian of our time, believed there was no God. Good to know for sure.

Plenty of experts in the field have weighed in, but in today's day and age where people get their news from Jon Stewart, etc.....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #778 on: July 14, 2015, 07:30:48 AM »

I think he's wrong on some stuff and right on others.  I've been consistent on public financing of stadiums forever on this board.  Nothing has changed.   The money is there where the taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for it.  I don't need John Oliver to say it, I've provided multiple other opinions that support my position.   I happily provided Oliver because he seems to have so much street cred with folks here....more so than some boring guy just running the numbers.

The economic benefits are crap, and overstated.  There is plenty of money to get this done without taxpayer money if they push hard enough.  If not, and they leave...they leave.  I'm sure it will get done somehow, but using public money for this stuff is not ideal.  That has been my tune for as long as I can remember.

It's perfectly fine to oppose all public financing for pro sports arena projects but it is the reality in the vast majority of arena projects.  It's been demonstrated previously that the proposed MKE deal is actually more taxpayer friendly than most over the past 25 years.  It's also absolutely true that in the absence of a new arena that the Bucks will be gone.  So those are one's choices.  I, for one, hope there's sufficient momentum to get the project done.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #779 on: July 14, 2015, 08:14:52 AM »

Are you against it based on principle or for economic reasons? I understand the principle but even if you don't believe in the marketing of a city and quality of life aspect (which I think is overstated), I think the reality of the situation is the team would be more valuable if moved to another city in a better market that is willing to put up the capital.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #780 on: July 14, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »
Growing up, I would visit family in the Grand Rapids, MI area. I remember downtown being a wasteland. Nothing to do, no one around, those who were around felt like they were walking through a dangerous part of town. I moved to Grand Rapids when I started going to grad school at Grand Valley State just down the road. It was nothing like I remembered. There were upscale restaurants, well groomed parks, new bars and clubs (surprisingly good night life in Grand Rapids), and a beautiful river walk along the Grand river. When I asked locals what had happened, they said it all started happening when the Van Andel Arena (home of the Grand Rapids Griffins) was built. It attracted people and business and had done wonders for downtown.

I know its not this simple, but if a downtown arena for a freaking minor league hockey team could do that much for Grand Rapids, I think it is fair to assume that a new downtown arena for a professional basketball team could do wonders for Milwaukee.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #781 on: July 14, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
I graduated from MUHS in 1971. In those days nobody would go to downtown Milwaukee at night. So Milwaukee has been revitalized. I am not sure how much the Bucks had to do with that.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #782 on: July 14, 2015, 11:45:42 AM »
Growing up, I would visit family in the Grand Rapids, MI area. I remember downtown being a wasteland. Nothing to do, no one around, those who were around felt like they were walking through a dangerous part of town. I moved to Grand Rapids when I started going to grad school at Grand Valley State just down the road. It was nothing like I remembered. There were upscale restaurants, well groomed parks, new bars and clubs (surprisingly good night life in Grand Rapids), and a beautiful river walk along the Grand river. When I asked locals what had happened, they said it all started happening when the Van Andel Arena (home of the Grand Rapids Griffins) was built. It attracted people and business and had done wonders for downtown.

I know its not this simple, but if a downtown arena for a freaking minor league hockey team could do that much for Grand Rapids, I think it is fair to assume that a new downtown arena for a professional basketball team could do wonders for Milwaukee.

Yeah, but Milwaukee already has arenas. You're just taking all the same people that would be downtown anyway and moving them a block north

The east side is much better than it was a dozen years ago when I was in school. I wouldn't have ever thought to go to the 3rd Ward, Walkers Point or Bayview and now all those areas have had wonderful things injected into them.

The downtown areas of most cities are dormant on nights and weekends. The revitalization of Milwaukee is happening before our eyes and it's happening away from downtown

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #783 on: July 14, 2015, 03:49:10 PM »
Yeah, but Milwaukee already has arenas. You're just taking all the same people that would be downtown anyway and moving them a block north

The east side is much better than it was a dozen years ago when I was in school. I wouldn't have ever thought to go to the 3rd Ward, Walkers Point or Bayview and now all those areas have had wonderful things injected into them.

The downtown areas of most cities are dormant on nights and weekends. The revitalization of Milwaukee is happening before our eyes and it's happening away from downtown

There's a lot of truth to this, but it's in these specific neighborhoods. In other parts of the city it's not nearly as bright and sunshiny. The far northwest side has been going downhill for 20+ years now with no signs of revitalization. Riverwest and the area just west of that are worse off than they were, and that spreads south to the edge of downtown. The South Side, specifically east of roughly 6th from the Third Ward to the Airport, has really blossomed, that is hardly indicative of the city as a whole.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #784 on: July 14, 2015, 05:12:42 PM »
@DavidAdeCBS58: Hearing from reliable source; WI Senate will meet tomorrow, ticket surcharge will be part of plan, and there are "at least 17 votes" for it.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #785 on: July 14, 2015, 08:50:01 PM »
Senator Lena Taylor said Tuesday that an agreement has been reached and that the plan for a new arena in downtown Milwaukee will pass senate on Wednesday, according to a report from WITI Fox6 Milwaukee.

The Bucks are asking for $250 million in state funding toward a new, $500-million downtown arena facility, and they've been trying to sell the state on the social and economic benefits of a new arena. Gov. Scott Walker brought an official proposal forward in early June, but optimism dissipated quickly as implicit costs were examined and the proposal seemed to get lost in the larger state budget being ironed out.

The proposal was pulled from the state budget as a result, leaving the proposal to try to pass as a separate bill. Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald said Tuesday that he wouldn't bring the proposal to a vote until he had the support, and it appears he's rounded up the requisite votes.

Between the new owners, outgoing owner Herb Kohl, and private financing initiatives, the Bucks are ready to contribute $250 million of their own, but some estimates suggest the real cost to the public after interest could reach $377 million.

Construction on a new facility would conceivably need to begin this year for an arena to open for the 2017-18 season, but it's possible approval from the senate and assembly would be enough to quiet talks of moving the team. Otherwise, the team could move to Las Vegas or Seattle, something Bucks president Peter Feigin recently admitted but NBA commissioner Adam Silver downplayed in favor of optimism.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #786 on: July 14, 2015, 09:05:56 PM »
#donedeal, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #787 on: July 14, 2015, 11:43:28 PM »
 I had said a couple of days ago, From my friend who is IN the negotiating for the Arena as he was for Miller Park...: They have the votes.. It will be voted on Wed and it passes... Its a    DONE DEAL ! ! !   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #788 on: July 14, 2015, 11:49:07 PM »
It's perfectly fine to oppose all public financing for pro sports arena projects but it is the reality in the vast majority of arena projects.  It's been demonstrated previously that the proposed MKE deal is actually more taxpayer friendly than most over the past 25 years.  It's also absolutely true that in the absence of a new arena that the Bucks will be gone.  So those are one's choices.  I, for one, hope there's sufficient momentum to get the project done.

Totally get it.  I just wish the puffery claims of the wonderment that will come from tax payer supported stadiums and arenas would stop. 

Trade offs with everything.  I hope those that want the project get the project pushed through.  Whether the money is well spent or could be spent better elsewhere, well that debate will linger.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #789 on: July 15, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »

I feel you are way oversimplifying this.  After graduating MU, I spent the first two years in the automotive engine oil testing industry and spent a ton of time in Grand Rapids, Grand Haven, Muskegon, Southfield, Battle Creek, Traverse City, etc.  I must have spent 2 weeks of every month doing the circuit with GM, Ford, Delphi, every parts manufacturer you can imagine.  Grand Rapids like so many other cities were so linked to the automotive industry that they were buried when Detroit got buried.  Watch what is about to happen in Finland to two cities with Nokia's demise from Microsoft.  Tough to get out of the way of those things.

The urban renewal of Grand Rapids and some other cities is attributed to many things, but is it the chicken or the egg?  I find Pittsburgh and Cleveland to be in much better shape now then they were 20 years ago, they have fancy stadiums downtown and they are easy to point to as reasons for growth because people come down to attend games.  It becomes a magnet.  Now, the question I have is with a new arena in Milwaukee, will that many MORE people come down than do now?  Say that happens for the first 2 years to check out the new digs, what about years 3 through 20 when you're still paying the place off in spades?

Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #790 on: July 15, 2015, 01:34:42 AM »
This is a great day for Milwaukee and Wisconsin. The Arena deal will get done!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #791 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:30 AM »
Totally get it.  I just wish the puffery claims of the wonderment that will come from tax payer supported stadiums and arenas would stop. 

Trade offs with everything.  I hope those that want the project get the project pushed through.  Whether the money is well spent or could be spent better elsewhere, well that debate will linger.

Just like I wish that those who oppose any public funding would stop lecturing folks about 'billion dollar owners' or the assertion that a pro sports team is no more of an important city asset than a new bridge or refuse collection center would be.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #792 on: July 15, 2015, 08:41:45 AM »
Just like I wish that those who oppose any public funding would stop lecturing folks about 'billion dollar owners' or the assertion that a pro sports team is no more of an important city asset than a new bridge or refuse collection center would be.

In my opinion, the value of a sports team to a city is just that, an opinion.  The implied economic benefits should be something that can at least be somewhat supported by data, even if the meerits of the data can be questioned.

Looks like the arena is happening.  Billionaires and millionaires win again....let's hope the people of Wisconsin do as well from their investment.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #793 on: July 15, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »

Grand Rapids had the benefit of 3 major corporations in the area who were civic minded.The arena was one piece of a very well thought out plan. Having Fifth Third Ball Park and the general emergence of Grand Valley State  as institution helped propel things.

I think a new arena combined with other development would be a success.

All that said I believe the new arena could be privately funded very easily . Politicians should just say no.  The owners are in too deep at this point to let the franchise go.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #794 on: July 15, 2015, 05:24:41 PM »
Sounds like the deal is done according to the

TWITTTTTAAAAA TRAAAAACKAAAA

Thanks for the new stadium, Wisconsin!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #795 on: July 15, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »
Its being voted on in the Senate now.  The Assembly hopefully will pass it then without changes.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #796 on: July 15, 2015, 05:51:47 PM »
Passed the senate easily 21-10.

brandx

« Reply #797 on: July 15, 2015, 05:57:59 PM »
As expected - although 21 votes is higher than I thought.

Although politicians still have a chance to screw it up.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:03:04 PM by brandx »

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #798 on: July 15, 2015, 06:08:15 PM »
Hopefully, with expected ground breaking this fall, we can hope to play in a new stadium by the time the 2017-18 season rolls around.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #799 on: July 15, 2015, 06:53:54 PM »
Where's the 'Its Happening!' guy?