'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 158152 times)

Dickthedribbler

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1575 on: April 23, 2024, 03:51:01 PM »
UW strikes out on Brandon Angel (to Oregon) and Frankie Fidler (to MSU).

Damn shame. Daaaaaamn shame.

I remember in 2005 when Marquette joined the Big East, the cackling out of Madison was that MU basketball would immediately nosedive to the bottom of the League, never to be heard from again. Eight straight trips to the NCAA Tourney squelched that.

Then in 2013 when the BE was reformulated, the prediction was that MU and their Catholic friends would become the Horizon League and cease being relevant in college basketball.

Then the last few years they've been extolling the virtues of Greg Gard, all while implying that MU was somehow "stuck" with Shaka Smart.

They've lost 7 guys so far this spring to the transfer portal ( including 2 walk ons). There is no amount of basketball misery that could be heaped on these basterds over there, that would effect my good nights sleep. I hope they have to suit up 12 walk ons this Fall just to field a team. Sixteenth place in their new 18 team conference seems about right.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1576 on: April 23, 2024, 04:29:50 PM »
I remember in 2005 when Marquette joined the Big East, the cackling out of Madison was that MU basketball would immediately nosedive to the bottom of the League, never to be heard from again. Eight straight trips to the NCAA Tourney squelched that.

Then in 2013 when the BE was reformulated, the prediction was that MU and their Catholic friends would become the Horizon League and cease being relevant in college basketball.

Then the last few years they've been extolling the virtues of Greg Gard, all while implying that MU was somehow "stuck" with Shaka Smart.

They've lost 7 guys so far this spring to the transfer portal ( including 2 walk ons). There is no amount of basketball misery that could be heaped on these basterds over there, that would effect my good nights sleep. I hope they have to suit up 12 walk ons this Fall just to field a team. Sixteenth place in their new 18 team conference seems about right.
my man!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1577 on: April 23, 2024, 04:33:34 PM »
I hope they have to suit up 12 walk ons this Fall just to field a team.

They'd still make the Final Four as usual. Because they always find a way to get it done.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1578 on: April 23, 2024, 04:41:27 PM »

Excellent synopsis dtd!

mug644

• All American
« Reply #1579 on: April 23, 2024, 04:48:31 PM »

Are there any other schools that lost so many players to the portal without a coaching change?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1580 on: April 23, 2024, 04:50:11 PM »
Seton Hall is close.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1581 on: April 23, 2024, 04:54:06 PM »
They'd still make the Final Four as usual. Because they always find a way to get it done.

Gard does get it done.  I’ve seen their obituary written about a lot the last 20 years.  That’s all I’ll say
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #1582 on: April 23, 2024, 05:46:37 PM »
Seton Hall is close.

Meh. Seton Hall is only at 6 transfers.

Xavier has 10 departures.  So far.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1583 on: April 23, 2024, 05:55:45 PM »
SHU are pikers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1584 on: April 23, 2024, 06:22:07 PM »
Gard does get it done.  I’ve seen their obituary written about a lot the last 20 years.  That’s all I’ll say

Oh for sure. National championship is in the bag.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1585 on: April 23, 2024, 06:55:33 PM »
RED missed on Trimble too! But…Gard does know ball.

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #1586 on: April 23, 2024, 08:51:27 PM »
Predictions will have the Badgers finishing 14th in the conference and GG being the first coach fired. In reality, they will beat MU at Fiserv, finish 3rd in the conference, win the BIG 60 tournament and advance to the second round of the Dance.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1587 on: April 23, 2024, 08:55:02 PM »
Predictions will have the Badgers finishing 14th in the conference and GG being the first coach fired. In reality, they will beat MU at Fiserv, finish 3rd in the conference, win the BIG 60 tournament and advance to the second round of the Dance.

Yeah. Just like Gard’s routinely done since having to coach his own roster and not Bo’s.

They can beat us every year if we’re going to be a top 10 team and they’re not going to win Tourney games for all I care.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1588 on: April 23, 2024, 09:12:21 PM »
Are there any other schools that lost so many players to the portal without a coaching change?

Xavier
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1589 on: April 23, 2024, 09:13:49 PM »
Yeah. Just like Gard’s routinely done since having to coach his own roster and not Bo’s.

They can beat us every year if we’re going to be a top 10 team and they’re not going to win Tourney games for all I care.
you live in WI, hey?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #1590 on: April 23, 2024, 11:48:37 PM »

So, my innocent question about UW led to the reality that two BEast schools (Seton Hall and Xavier) have lost as many or more players to the portal without a coaching change. Wow.

Does that say something about the BEast and/or about coaches in the BEast? Or, do folks know of other schools in other conferences that are losing so many players?

The portal and NIL are undoubtedly changing college basketball. Call me Rip Van Winkle.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 11:53:27 PM by mug644 »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1591 on: April 24, 2024, 08:26:34 AM »
So, my innocent question about UW led to the reality that two BEast schools (Seton Hall and Xavier) have lost as many or more players to the portal without a coaching change. Wow.

Does that say something about the BEast and/or about coaches in the BEast? Or, do folks know of other schools in other conferences that are losing so many players?

The portal and NIL are undoubtedly changing college basketball. Call me Rip Van Winkle.
What does Duke just adding a transfer player to get their roster up to 6 players for next year say about the current state of CBB?

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #1592 on: April 24, 2024, 08:30:16 AM »

I suspect those two situations are quite different. With the huge exception of Desmond Claude, I don't think Sean Miller was interested in keeping most of the guys around that left. He had to scurry to fill roster slots when Freemantle and Hunter went down before the season for the year, and some of the late additions did not meet expectations. Miller was very vocal about several guys not meeting his standards after the MU game this year, so cleaning house was not unexpected. They have seemingly done very well with the portal this year. Obviously, Claude was a huge loss and I suspect he's chasing big cash, even though it was reported he would be getting around $500k from X. Not a good sign if there is huge transfer turnover again next year, but for now I think and hope X should be ok.

Seton Hall, on the other hand, seems more concerning to me. After what should have been a feel good end to the season it is surprising to me that so many are leaving and those moves seem likely to be lateral type moves rather than significant jumps up or down in terms of the stature of their potential landing spots. As many have noted on this board, Shaheen does not look like much fun to play for from an outsider's view.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1593 on: April 24, 2024, 09:05:25 AM »
What does Duke just adding a transfer player to get their roster up to 6 players for next year say about the current state of CBB?

That it continues to evolve, as it has for decades and decades.

What did freshmen suddenly becoming eligible in 1972 say about the state of CBB back then? What did the introduction of the shot clock and 3-point line in the '80s say about the state of CBB back then?

Change happens - in CBB and everything else. Adapt or whither away.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1594 on: April 24, 2024, 09:19:58 AM »

I think the circumstances are different. I do think SHU has issues with NIL, but I'm not sure that's all of it. Shaheen Holloway has generally underachieved from November through February, but March results at both St. Peter's and SHU have buoyed his reputation. Along the way, he regularly throws players under the bus and seems to be difficult to get along with (the Donald Copeland incident is still very strange). I suspect a combination of not having the money or personality to retain players is what's leading to their issues.

Xavier, on the other hand, is less clear. I can see maybe thinking Nzeh, Ciani, Ousmane, Craft, Duncomb, and Ducharme just weren't good enough at this level. So they replace with Maddox, Conwell, Hugley, and Maddox. But I'm baffled that they couldn't retain Claude, who really seemed like the focal point of the team. With the return of Freemantle and Hunter, it is a very, very old team. Maybe one geared to make a big run (Torvik has them top-10) but possibly one that will also need an even bigger rebuild next year. Someone suggested to me that Miller might be gearing up to have a big 2024-25 in hopes of getting a bigger job next summer. Looking at his roster, that doesn't seem all that crazy to think.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #1595 on: April 24, 2024, 09:38:41 AM »
I was told by a Xavier friend that Claude’s parents are big time helicopter parents and Miller got sick of them. He told him to take a hike
Bring back FFP!!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1596 on: April 24, 2024, 09:56:18 AM »
Claude… not a very good player on offense. But wants heavy usage. Really don’t see it as a big loss
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1597 on: April 24, 2024, 10:10:04 AM »
That it continues to evolve, as it has for decades and decades.

What did freshmen suddenly becoming eligible in 1972 say about the state of CBB back then? What did the introduction of the shot clock and 3-point line in the '80s say about the state of CBB back then?

Change happens - in CBB and everything else. Adapt or whither away.
I agree. I was trying to illustrate that X and SHU are hardly unique going up to the highest levels of CBB.

MU is now the unicorn of CBB with all our continuity.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1598 on: April 24, 2024, 11:54:05 AM »
I want everyone to take a moment and reflect on our neighbors to the west who are taking a valiant stand against the new era of college basketball and continuing to do things the right way
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1599 on: April 24, 2024, 11:57:24 AM »
I want everyone to take a moment and reflect on our neighbors to the west who are taking a valiant stand against the new era of college basketball and continuing to do things the right way

Noted.

Now back to our regular programming.