[Today at 09:32:37 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?  (Read 48984 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2020, 08:26:11 AM »
"Let's just forget the whole thing since I am doing a poor job of backing up my claims"

Sure thing.

I provided Jeff Snook's post so please detail the claim you think I'm not backing up?

Better yet actually read the thread before you comment.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2020, 08:31:45 AM »
According to the USA Today article below, the parents' protest in support of a football season is supposed to occur today outside Big Ten HQ.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2020/08/20/big-ten-parents-set-protest-unthinkable-college-football/5614843002/

--------------

It will be interesting to see how large a crowd actually shows up, so we can see if it really is a groundswell of demand by parents to let their kids play, or just a very loud minority.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2020, 08:36:42 AM »
From what I understand, the Big Ten is still working virtually so the protest will be interesting.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:24 AM »
According to the USA Today article below, the parents' protest in support of a football season is supposed to occur today outside Big Ten HQ.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2020/08/20/big-ten-parents-set-protest-unthinkable-college-football/5614843002/

--------------

It will be interesting to see how large a crowd actually shows up, so we can see if it really is a groundswell of demand by parents to let their kids play, or just a very loud minority.

All true ... what size crowd would be considered a ground swell?

If 100 parents and fans (presumably not of abundant means) that took the day off and traveled to Chicago protest. is that a large crowd?

If a 1,000 show up is that a disappointing small crowd?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2020, 08:48:43 AM »
All true ... what size crowd would be considered a ground swell?

If 100 parents and fans (presumably not of abundant means) that took the day off and traveled to Chicago protest. is that a large crowd?

If a 1,000 show up is that a disappointing small crowd?

There obviously isn't an exact answer to the 'large vs small' question. But someone at the B10 knows how many scholarship football players there are, so technically they could easily calculate a minority vs a majority.

But on the question of 'large' vs 'small' (and given that a 'majority' of parents of scholarship FB players would probably mean about 2000-3000 moms and dads), I'd consider it pretty significant of if maybe 300-400 parents show up. And no - I would not count fans who have no vested interest in the long-term health of the players.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2020, 09:07:34 AM »
I provided Jeff Snook's post so please detail the claim you think I'm not backing up?

Better yet actually read the thread before you comment.

You specifically said that sounds the B1G was fracturing.  That wasn't mentioned in the article that quoted Snook.

It was a conclusion you jumped to on your own. 

• All American
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2020, 09:32:02 AM »
There obviously isn't an exact answer to the 'large vs small' question. But someone at the B10 knows how many scholarship football players there are, so technically they could easily calculate a minority vs a majority.

But on the question of 'large' vs 'small' (and given that a 'majority' of parents of scholarship FB players would probably mean about 2000-3000 moms and dads), I'd consider it pretty significant of if maybe 300-400 parents show up. And no - I would not count fans who have no vested interest in the long-term health of the players.

I'm going to go with "small."

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1296800496217477120?s=20
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2020, 09:53:04 AM »
Five days later everything was canceled.

Thank you for providing this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
You specifically said that sounds the B1G was fracturing.  That wasn't mentioned in the article that quoted Snook.

It was a conclusion you jumped to on your own.

That is exactly correct ... my opinion is six teams in the B1G defying the conference decision and trying to set up their own schedule indeed represents a fracturing of the conference.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2020, 09:54:33 AM »

How is it an attack?  That is literally what he did.

Using facts is considered an attack by about 37% of the country these days.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2020, 10:05:03 AM »
Psst...it’s all about the TV and Media contracts.  No school is walking away from that to play in empty stadiums
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2020, 11:35:41 AM »
Note that the lawyers are getting involved and Justin Fields now has representation.  If they gets the waivers, the B1G will be gutted.

(the brown highlighted part is for Fluffy and Hards ... don't call it a fracturing!!)

Well known player advocate attorney Tom Mars files Freedom of Information Act request with Big Ten schools
https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/20/tom-mars-freedom-of-information-request-big-ten-football-buckeyes/

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren has finally spoken after over a week of silence. As the league continued to crack at the foundations with player, parent, and administrator concerns over the lack of transparency and plan surrounding the postponement of the fall football season in 2020, we waited for reaction.

Warren finally released an open letter to the Big Ten community reiterating the stance to postpone the season to the spring, and a so-called final verdict that it will not be revisited.

That has now resulted in some action well known collegiate player advocate Tom Mars. We reported earlier this week on a piece from the Columbus Dispatch that showed Mars beginning to weigh in on the situation, and even speaking on behalf of some that were questioning how the decision was made.

Mars, who represented several players, including Justin Fields, in gaining waivers for immediate transfer eligibility, had previously said that getting lawyers involved in the process was not his desire. However, you had a feeling if this thing continued to gain momentum without Big Ten cooperation that things could change.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:41:58 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »

• All American
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2020, 11:40:34 AM »
Oh my gosh!  A lawyer has filed a FOIA request?  Clearly the Big Ten is falling apart!!!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2020, 11:43:02 AM »
Oh my gosh!  A lawyer has filed a FOIA request?  Clearly the Big Ten is falling apart!!!

Will you think the same if/when their top 40 or so players transfer out before Labor Day

• All American
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2020, 11:45:36 AM »
Will you think the same if/when their top 40 or so players transfer out before Labor Day

I have said that I am fine with the NCAA granting immediately eligible waivers for players with one year eligibility remaining...so yeah.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2020, 12:10:48 PM »

Most of those top  players weren't going to play in the Big 10 anymore, regardless. You think Justin Fields, Shaun Wade and Michah Parsons are sticking around for a spring season?
And where are they going to go en masse? Most ACC, Big 12 and SEC programs already are up against their scholarship limits.
We're talking about a handful of players at most here. Hardly a gutting.
And for the players who can leave, good for them.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2020, 12:30:01 PM »
Don't let the door smack ya on the a$$ on the way out, eh?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »
You chose to note he was Hawk Harrelson co-author on this autobiography thinking it would dismiss his authority on the subject.

You did not note he is also the author of four books on Ohio State football, including one titled “how to be a Buckeye.” Or that he lives in Ohio and is generally known as the sports reporter most plug into Ohio State football.

So, yeah you attacked him simply because you did not like his reporting.

there's a difference in being "plugged into OSU football" in terms of recruiting and lineups and being plugged into what the President, Board, and AD are discussing.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2020, 01:07:31 PM »
Also, I am not sure what standing these parents (or players) have to sue.  They are still receiving the benefit of their scholarship.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2020, 02:05:36 PM »
Also, I am not sure what standing these parents (or players) have to sue.  They are still receiving the benefit of their scholarship.

Good point. I am assuming the basic deal reads that (1) player agrees to participate in sport; and (2) university agrees to provide a scholarship.

If the school provides the scholarship even though no football is being played, I struggle to see what the players can sue over. The "opportunity to play" is never guaranteed, and even where a player claims (or implies) he was 'guaranteed' playing time, his recourse is to transfer, not to sue.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2020, 03:01:01 PM »
I still have serious doubts that there will be a single D1 college football game played this year. However ...

If there is a season, and if athletes want to transfer from a league that isn't playing to one that is, and if the students meet all the academic requirements ... more power to the athlete-students, and I hope they have great seasons.

They and their new teammates should get compensated for their NIL, too.

If all of it results in the B14 being permanently damaged, oh well. Change is often messy. I mean, just a few years ago, the Big East went through a "tectonic change" when one school after another left for greener pastures. The conference and its member institutions survived, even thrived.

Paraphrasing a great philosopher: "They are leaving. That's true. It is what it is."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2020, 03:26:33 PM »
I still have serious doubts that there will be a single D1 college football game played this year. However ...

If there is a season, and if athletes want to transfer from a league that isn't playing to one that is, and if the students meet all the academic requirements ... more power to the athlete-students, and I hope they have great seasons.

They and their new teammates should get compensated for their NIL, too.

If all of it results in the B14 being permanently damaged, oh well. Change is often messy. I mean, just a few years ago, the Big East went through a "tectonic change" when one school after another left for greener pastures. The conference and its member institutions survived, even thrived.

Paraphrasing a great philosopher: "They are leaving. That's true. It is what it is."

Agreed.

Regarding the academic eligibility comment - I LOL'd until I remembered that Duke is in the ACC and Vanderbilt is in the SEC. But other than that.... ;D

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »
Agreed.

Regarding the academic eligibility comment - I LOL'd until I remembered that Duke is in the ACC and Vanderbilt is in the SEC. But other than that.... ;D

He's referring to transfer eligibility, where players have to meet percentage towards degree requirements.  Schools like Vandy, Duke, Syracuse and Wake, being private, often have requirements not offered at state schools. Those classes being incomplete bring PTD down. A student may be 40% complete with his or her degree at Ohio State but may only be 30% complete upon transfer to Wake.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2020, 05:30:58 PM »
will there be a 21-22 season???will there be fans??????????

feedback