'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?  (Read 48998 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2020, 10:55:27 AM »
The big mistake Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren did was to “just announce” all the university president were for canceling the season. He never providing a formal vote result with comments from the presidents explaining their decision. 

It gives the impression that there wasn’t unity for this decision and he’s trying to cover for them.

That leaves the door open for the ADs like Gino Smith and Barry Alverez to try and overturn it.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »
Like I noted above, I’m sure the Big Ten thought that once they made the decision they were setting the standard for everybody. Instead the decision is tearing the conference apart.

Maybe at the end of the day there is no fall play.  But, right now, all is not well in the land of the Big Ten.

Yeah, that's not happening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2020, 02:29:14 PM »

Yeah, that's not happening.

You're correct that it may not happen.  We'll see.

But Geno Smith, Barry Alverez and four other schools are trying to make it happen.

• All American
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »
You're correct that it may not happen.  We'll see.

But Geno Smith, Barry Alverez and four other schools are trying to make it happen.

According to a guy who once wrote a biography on Hawk Harrelson.

It's not happening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2020, 04:28:25 PM »

According to a guy who once wrote a biography on Hawk Harrelson.

It's not happening.

Is that your argument ... ad homeniem attack becuase you disagree with him?

• All American
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2020, 04:30:40 PM »
Is that your argument ... ad homeniem attack becuase you disagree with him?

How is it an attack?  That is literally what he did.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2020, 05:36:04 PM »
I hope tectonic change does come in some form.

The ADs/universities likely want to play because this is another financial bubble/too big to fail situation. There will be catastrophic outcomes for loss of income from both ticket sales and tv rights.

The kids wanna play because it has influence on their future career in the NFL.

I'm also sure there's some University administrators worried about liability lawsuits.

Let's hope everyone wisens up and avoids these financial pitfalls in the future.

Also, I thought tectonic change was coming when NCAA basketball was in the crosshairs of the FBI? What happened to that?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 05:37:45 PM by jesmu84 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2020, 05:55:19 PM »
Or the tectonic change of athletes being able to profit off their likeness.

As I said early in this thread, right now this is tectonic change du jour.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »

How is it an attack?  That is literally what he did.

You chose to note he was Hawk Harrelson co-author on this autobiography thinking it would dismiss his authority on the subject.

You did not note he is also the author of four books on Ohio State football, including one titled “how to be a Buckeye.” Or that he lives in Ohio and is generally known as the sports reporter most plug into Ohio State football.

So, yeah you attacked him simply because you did not like his reporting.

• All American
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2020, 08:56:22 PM »
You chose to note he was Hawk Harrelson co-author on this autobiography thinking it would dismiss his authority on the subject.

You did not note he is also the author of four books on Ohio State football, including one titled “how to be a Buckeye.” Or that he lives in Ohio and is generally known as the sports reporter most plug into Ohio State football.

So, yeah you attacked him simply because you did not like his reporting.

Really?  He’s the most plugged into OSU football?  Lol.

Yeah it’s not happening.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:57:57 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2020, 09:39:50 PM »
Lawyers are lining up at those campuses for the lawsuits.
Yep, book it
Goal is National Championship

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2020, 01:19:31 AM »
Really?  He’s the most plugged into OSU football?  Lol.

Yeah it’s not happening.

Again, you maybe correct in that there will be no fall football season.  You were also dead sure the NCAA tournament was not going to be canceled last March.

The larger point is they are trying away from the official conference channels to put together a fall season. If they are successful it could represent a big fracturing of the conference? 

How? How about it would be a catalyst of unequal shares of BTN money.  The six marquee programs trying to play this fall (OSU, UM, PSU, NEB, UW, and Iowa) will want a bigger share than the rest.  Because they conclude they are the B1G and the rest are pretenders.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:21:41 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2020, 06:20:55 AM »
Again, you maybe correct in that there will be no fall football season.  You were also dead sure the NCAA tournament was not going to be canceled last March.

The larger point is they are trying away from the official conference channels to put together a fall season. If they are successful it could represent a big fracturing of the conference? 

How? How about it would be a catalyst of unequal shares of BTN money.  The six marquee programs trying to play this fall (OSU, UM, PSU, NEB, UW, and Iowa) will want a bigger share than the rest.  Because they conclude they are the B1G and the rest are pretenders.

UM is currently the one holding everyone up.

And there will be no 'fracturing' of the B1G.  Stop making stupid crap up.

• All American
« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2020, 07:13:25 AM »

Whoa.  What?  When did I say that?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2020, 07:15:58 AM »
UM is currently the one holding everyone up.

And there will be no 'fracturing' of the B1G.  Stop making stupid crap up.

The conference cancels the fall football season.  Multiple schools are looking to defy decision and are TRYING to set up their own fall schedule. 

This sure sounds like a fracturing of the conference (again, if it happens). 

The only person making crap up are those that are trying to say nothing is happening here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2020, 07:30:13 AM »
The only person making crap up are those that are trying to say nothing is happening here.

Well, unless you can show  where Sultan said he was "dead sure the NCAA tournament was not going to be canceled last March," you literally just made some crap up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2020, 07:32:51 AM »
So when the Big 12, SEC and ACC cancel their seasons, do the players who will be around after this year get to rescind their transfers and stay put? How would that work from an academic standpoint - bouncing from school to school during the semester in an attempt to play a season that will never be played?

Seems like allowing immediate transfers just fosters false hope. Just look at the COVID prevalence and positivity rates in Big 12, SEC and ACC country - it isn't if they will cancel; it's when.

The players transferring don't care about school. I wish scoop would really stop with that charade.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2020, 07:35:16 AM »
Whoa.  What?  When did I say that?

No the NCAA season isn't going to end its season.  But the way things are going they may be paid in front of empty gyms.

Five days later everything was canceled.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2020, 07:35:34 AM »
The conference cancels the fall football season.  Multiple schools are looking to defy decision and are TRYING to set up their own fall schedule. 

This sure sounds like a fracturing of the conference (again, if it happens). 

You're using a ton of qualifiers, taking a large leap in logic, and coming up with whatever conclusion you want.

• All American
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2020, 07:52:50 AM »
Five days later everything was canceled.

Well OK.  I don't recall saying that but I clearly did.  Oh well, a lot of bad predictions back then.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2020, 07:57:57 AM »
You're using a ton of qualifiers, taking a large leap in logic, and coming up with whatever conclusion you want.

The beauty of something like this is it can never be proven wrong. No matter how many denials, no matter how weak or non-existent the evidence, no matter whether no hint of this ever comes to fruition, no matter how asinine the suggestion, no matter how logistically improbable, ... you can never prove that there weren't secret discussions among a cabal of ADs going rogue.
Scoop's Clay Travis wannabe knows this.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2020, 08:07:50 AM »

Well OK.  I don't recall saying that but I clearly did.  Oh well, a lot of bad predictions back then.

It was a post in response to something I wrote which is why I remembered it.

I would not know anything about bad predictions :)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2020, 08:13:14 AM »

I had those same qualifiers in the post where you told me to stop making up crap.

Interesting how this thread went from Jeff Snook facebook post about the effort to have a fall season, to Jeff Snook is Hawk Harrelson's autobiograpgher suggesting he is unqualified to make this opinion, to I'm the one making up crap, to whatever that post Pakuni is trying to say.

Snook is far more credible on this subject.  I have no doubt what he says is true. They are trying.  Reasonable to say it will not work. But if they pull it off, it will be an earthquake for the B1G.

How about we sit back and watch and sees what happens.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2020, 08:19:07 AM »
I had those same qualifiers in the post where you told me to stop making up crap.

Interesting how this thread went from Jeff Snook facebook post about the effort to have a fall season, to Jeff Snook is Hawk Harrelson's autobiograpgher suggesting he is unqualified to make this opinion, to I'm the one making up crap, to whatever that post Pakuni is trying to say.

Snook is far more credible on this subject.  I have no doubt what he says is true. They are trying.  Reasonable to say it will not work. But if they pull it off, it will be an earthquake for the B1G.

How about we sit back and watch and sees what happens.

"Let's just forget the whole thing since I am doing a poor job of backing up my claims"

Sure thing.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2020, 08:24:24 AM »
Moving on ...

Let's say the B1G does not play this fall.  Then they have this problem.

Big Ten could lose up to $1B in revenue after canceling fall football
https://nypost.com/2020/08/12/big-ten-could-lose-up-to-1b-in-revenue-with-no-fall-football/

Canceling college football season for the safety of student-athletes during the COVID-19 pandemic will cost Big Ten athletic departments more than $275 million in ticket sales and could reach $1 billion in total lost revenue, according to NCAA fiscal reports obtained by The Post.

At one end, Rutgers faces a vanishing $49 million, while cash-cow Ohio State’s would be out $104 million and include a league-high $50 million in lost tickets alone. It’s no wonder the Big Ten and like-minded Pac-12 are hoping to move football season to the spring rather than call it off.

----

So how do the Universities deal with this loss of revenue?  Do they cut academic programs?  Are state legislatures willing to pony up more money to cover it?  Do they cut their athletic programs?

This is a big number.  Cutting cross country and women's tennis is not going to fill this hole.  Overpaid strength coaches and coordinators are going to have to go. Coaches might have to fly commerical to see recruits.

And if you cut athletics, you risk diminishing the B1G stature in sports, big time recruits will go to the programs that were not cut and have more resources (which is why their is an arms race in college facilities).

I think this is exactly what ADs are telling their Presidents ... (in a nice diplomatic way) let us play football or be prepared to close chemistry labs and eliminate liberal art programs.