collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19  (Read 128023 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« Reply #750 on: October 24, 2018, 09:15:29 AM »
By over the years, do you mean 1 year and 18 days? 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cam-newton-response-female-reporter-sparks-controversy/

I like Cam, but thought it unusual your comment while also digging at Machado in the other conversation.

Cam apologized to that reporter, both privately and publicly.

Machado?

Also, one guy said something. The other guy deliberately, maliciously tries to injure opponents. So very nice false equivalence, cubbiechicos.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:20:31 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #751 on: October 24, 2018, 09:23:04 AM »
Cam apologized to that reporter, both privately and publicly.

Machado?

After scrutiny to do so, Newton did. I'm sure his agent said you are losing $$$, which he did when at least one sponsor kicked him to the curb.  That doesn't change the remark you made that he has matured a lot over the years to make the comment to begin with, does it? 

Machado is not my guy, not a fan of his attitude and said so here that he would be tough to cheer for. If he becomes a Cub, then I hope the front office, coaches and players can get him aligned.  Cam seems to be your guy, which is fine. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #752 on: October 24, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
After scrutiny to do so, Newton did. I'm sure his agent said you are losing $$$, which he did when at least one sponsor kicked him to the curb.  That doesn't change the remark you made that he has matured a lot over the years to make the comment to begin with, does it? 

Machado is not my guy, not a fan of his attitude and said so here that he would be tough to cheer for. If he becomes a Cub, then I hope the front office, coaches and players we can get him aligned.  Cam seems to be your guy, which is fine.

FIFY.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #753 on: October 24, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »

Machado?

Also, one guy said something. The other guy deliberately, maliciously tries to injure opponents. So very nice false equivalence, cubbiechicos.

He clipped the guys foot.  He didn't run him over in the parking lot.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #754 on: October 24, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
Everson re-joining the Consensus Vikings

Would have to think that's a positive step.  All the reports seem cautiously optimistic that its part of his broader treatment plan. Wouldn't be surprised if its as much to have him with the team and help structure his time as anything else, which even if he doesn't play on sundays for awhile is probably a boost to the locker room.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #755 on: October 24, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
Is there an institutional racism version of Godwin's Law?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #756 on: October 24, 2018, 01:29:41 PM »
Is there an institutional racism version of Godwin's Law?

No, but IR is often on the road to fulfilling Godwin's Law.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #757 on: October 24, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »

Machado is not my guy, not a fan of his attitude and said so here that he would be tough to cheer for. If he becomes a Cub, then I hope the front office, coaches and players can get him aligned.  Cam seems to be your guy, which is fine.

Cam has matured over the years. Saying something dopey a year ago and then apologizing for it doesn't mean he has failed to mature. I mean, we say dopey stuff all the time here. I don't have a "my guy," but I think he's an outstanding player and he has grown to become an extremely positive force in the Charlotte community.

Nice justifying on Machado.

He intentionally kicked the foot of an opponent who easily could have suffered an injury on the play. Again, if this were the only time, one could dismiss it. As Yelich correctly noted, Machado has a long history of dirty play with intent to injure. You are free to dismiss that history if you'd like, but it doesn't mean the history isn't real.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #758 on: October 24, 2018, 02:22:33 PM »
Lions made a trade today that was a shocker.    For the first time that I can remember, they acquired in-season a guy who was exactly what they need, at the time they need him, for a bargain price.    And when I say first time..... 40 years?    Getting Damon Harrison from the Giants for a 5th rounder.... a premier run stopper for a defense ranked near the bottom against the run.     A big (literally and figuratively) get. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #759 on: October 24, 2018, 02:25:40 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #760 on: October 24, 2018, 04:07:00 PM »
He intentionally kicked the foot of an opponent who easily could have suffered an injury on the play. Again, if this were the only time, one could dismiss it. As Yelich correctly noted, Machado has a long history of dirty play with intent to injure. You are free to dismiss that history if you'd like, but it doesn't mean the history isn't real.

An ankle injury? Dios me libre!
Machado's play was dirty and all, but the pearl clutching and outrage seems way over the top in a league where intentionally throwing a 5-ounce projectile at speeds topping 90 mph at a person from 60 feet away is considered at times justified. Push comes to shove, I'd much rather be kicked in the shin than drilled in the ribs.
Seriously, there's a more dangerous play than what Machado did in every single NFL and NHL game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #761 on: October 24, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »
An ankle injury? Dios me libre!
Machado's play was dirty and all, but the pearl clutching and outrage seems way over the top in a league where intentionally throwing a 5-ounce projectile at speeds topping 90 mph at a person from 60 feet away is considered at times justified. Push comes to shove, I'd much rather be kicked in the shin than drilled in the ribs.
Seriously, there's a more dangerous play than what Machado did in every single NFL and NHL game.

Well, having one's leg intentionally kicked and having one's head thrown at are not mutually exclusive. A ballplayer can have both happen to him in the same inning.

I didn't expect you to condone an obvious attempt to injure from a guy with a history of it, Pakuni.

As for beanballs and other purpose pitches demanded by the "unwritten rules," I do not like them at all. When somebody gets killed or permanently maimed by one, it will be a dark day for baseball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #762 on: October 24, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »
Well, having one's leg intentionally kicked and having one's head thrown at are not mutually exclusive. A ballplayer can have both happen to him in the same inning.

I didn't expect you to condone an obvious attempt to injure from a guy with a history of it, Pakuni.

As for beanballs and other purpose pitches demanded by the "unwritten rules," I do not like them at all. When somebody gets killed or permanently maimed by one, it will be a dark day for baseball.

How did you read "Machado's play was dirty" as me condoning it?
My point is that what he did is far less dangerous than actions - namely intentionally throwing at batters - that occur far more frequently, and with the league's and teams' tacit approval (and at times encouragement). Those actions draw far less scrutiny, and at times even cheers from both fans and players/coaches, than Machado's.

I'll say it again so we're clear: Machado committed a dirty play. But the reaction to that dirty play has been over the top. In a league in which throwing at players is an accepted and encouraged form of frontier justice for grave sins like watching a home run for too long or flipping a bat, I find it hard to get too worked up over what Machado did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #763 on: October 24, 2018, 11:36:42 PM »
How did you read "Machado's play was dirty" as me condoning it?
My point is that what he did is far less dangerous than actions - namely intentionally throwing at batters - that occur far more frequently, and with the league's and teams' tacit approval (and at times encouragement). Those actions draw far less scrutiny, and at times even cheers from both fans and players/coaches, than Machado's.

I'll say it again so we're clear: Machado committed a dirty play. But the reaction to that dirty play has been over the top. In a league in which throwing at players is an accepted and encouraged form of frontier justice for grave sins like watching a home run for too long or flipping a bat, I find it hard to get too worked up over what Machado did.

I am able to get suitably worked up over both. Versatility!

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #764 on: October 25, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
Who the f*ck is this Machado guy and why the f*ck is he in my NFL thread?

Don't make me get off on a tangent about how boring and sucky baseball is compared to every other sport ever made ever including ice dancing.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #765 on: October 25, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »

Don't make me get off on a tangent about how boring and sucky baseball is compared to every other sport ever made ever including ice dancing.

Fun fact:  You could have watched 93 ice dancing free competitions in the same time it took to play last night's game.  (Which wasn't long BTW.)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #766 on: October 25, 2018, 08:55:29 PM »

Well, cubbiechicos decided to introduce him here so he could make false equivalences to Cam Newton.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #767 on: October 25, 2018, 09:46:54 PM »
Well, cubbiechicos decided to introduce him here so he could make false equivalences to Cam Newton.

Oh brother.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:29:37 PM by WarriorDad »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #768 on: October 25, 2018, 10:37:57 PM »
Watching tonite's game, it is easy to see why Osweiler torched the Bears.

He is a stud!!

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #769 on: October 26, 2018, 01:51:14 PM »
Watching tonite's game, it is easy to see why Osweiler torched the Bears.

He is a stud!!

Yes, any Bears fan still riding high after the Chi-Mia game has to back down to earth after watching what Detroit and Houston did to Miami. Yikes.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #770 on: October 26, 2018, 02:22:25 PM »
Fantasy question for those who follow it better than I do...

Cam vs. Baltimore, or Goff vs. The Pack?

I'm leaning Goff, but want to make sure that's not totally due to my inherent Packers skepticism.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #771 on: October 26, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »
Yes, any Bears fan still riding high after the Chi-Mia game has to back down to earth after watching what Detroit and Houston did to Miami. Yikes.

Sarcasm?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #772 on: October 26, 2018, 02:23:02 PM »

I'm leaning Goff, but want to make sure that's not totally due to my inherent Packers skepticism.

Goff

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #773 on: October 26, 2018, 02:29:48 PM »

I have the exact same conundrum in one of my leagues this week. I'm going Goff
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #774 on: October 26, 2018, 02:34:15 PM »

Truly a sad end to Brocktoberfest.  He (and therefore the Dolphins offense) has been great when the receivers are running east-west routes and then racking up YAC - but he still can't throw the ball down the field worth a damn.

feedback