collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19  (Read 127991 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« Reply #550 on: September 23, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
The worst part is the NFL has already came out and said that the call was correct. 

And people wonder why NFL viewership is down.

anyone see the play where rodgers was sacked?  he was not only driven into the ground, but his head got corkscrewed and the defensive player fell on him with full body weight.  NO FLAG???
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #552 on: September 24, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
NFL ratings have been actually pretty good this year.

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1044218931161059329

tower912

• All American
« Reply #553 on: September 24, 2018, 09:12:56 AM »
Last night had the feel of a classic tease game by the Lions.  Played far better than expected.  Good enough to give a glimmer of hope to the eternally suffering fanbase.  Countdown to the inevitable rug pull.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #554 on: September 24, 2018, 09:34:29 AM »

Yep.

Also, when talking about NFL ratings, folks just about never mention that just about all network and cable TV ratings are down, and that NFL ratings are down significantly less than TV as a whole.

It's kind of like when people bemoan athletes' low graduation rate at many colleges but neglect to mention that the athletes have a better graduation rate than the overall student body.

Context is important.

Something like 35 of last year's 50 most watched television programs were NFL games.

I mention this stuff and I sound like a cheerleader for the NFL. Fact is, I don't even watch that much NFL. And I obviously realize that the league has some problems -- as do all leagues and all networks overall.

The NFL is the envy of every other sports league and is still an extremely valuable franchise for television overall. There's a reason FOX paid record $$$ for the rights to TNF.

But yeah ... players kneeling is killing the league.

BTW, as I mentioned, I went to the Panthers game. Spent the anthem in the corridor -- along with thousands of my fellow fans. Seems the most patriotic thing of all is to keep selling beer, hot dogs, jerseys and foam No. 1 fingers while a poem written by an avowed racist is being sung.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #555 on: September 24, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »

Tangent

Haven't seen the actual national numbers but in NE Florida barely nudged out Tiger late afternoon.  Granted only 1 game on local TV, but it's amazing the impact that one man can have.  I think the high mark yesterday in Jacksonville was 11.4 for golf. As a comparison, high water mark for the masters final round this year was an 8.3
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #556 on: September 24, 2018, 09:39:30 AM »
Yep.

Also, when talking about NFL ratings, folks just about never mention that just about all network and cable TV ratings are down, and that NFL ratings are down significantly less than TV as a whole.

It's kind of like when people bemoan athletes' low graduation rate at many colleges but neglect to mention that the athletes have a better graduation rate than the overall student body.

Context is important.

Something like 35 of last year's 50 most watched television programs were NFL games.

I mention this stuff and I sound like a cheerleader for the NFL. Fact is, I don't even watch that much NFL. And I obviously realize that the league has some problems -- as do all leagues and all networks overall.

The NFL is the envy of every other sports league and is still an extremely valuable franchise for television overall. There's a reason FOX paid record $$$ for the rights to TNF.

BTW, as I mentioned, I went to the Panthers game. Spent the anthem in the corridor -- along with thousands of my fellow fans. Seems the most patriotic thing of all is to keep selling beer, hot dogs, jerseys and foam No. 1 fingers while a poem written by an avowed racist is being sung.

Why don't ya just fookin' move ta Canada, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #557 on: September 24, 2018, 09:42:21 AM »
Yep.

Context is important.

Was at Miller Park last week.  They actually dimmed the lights in the concession stands and stopped selling during the anthem.  Most everyone in the concourse at least stopped walking and turned to the field.  Of course, that was 15 minutes prior to first pitch, and not part of the kickoff routine that the NFL has made it.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #558 on: September 24, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
Was at Miller Park last week.  They actually dimmed the lights in the concession stands and stopped selling during the anthem.  Most everyone in the concourse at least stopped walking and turned to the field.  Of course, that was 15 minutes prior to first pitch, and not part of the kickoff routine that the NFL has made it.

This has been the policy for quite some time at MP.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #559 on: September 24, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »

Why don't ya just fookin' move ta Canada, hey?

Because I'm a patriotic American who loves our country and wants to see us prosper. How 'bout you?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #560 on: September 24, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »
Kinda looks like we're gettin' der, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #561 on: September 24, 2018, 11:31:42 AM »
Kinda looks like we're gettin' der, aina?

We've been there for awhile. You just weren't paying attention.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #562 on: September 24, 2018, 11:33:50 AM »
Take all of your crap to another thread.  Don't want to read about any of it.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #563 on: September 24, 2018, 03:30:21 PM »
I am a Bears fan (disclosure purposes only).
I though all three roughing flags on Clay Matthews were absolutely terrible calls, but if I'm a referee, that's what they told me is illegal, so I've got to call it.

Best solution to this bad scenario that I can think of is this:

Since the "full bodyweight" restriction is complete bulls!t and in most case against the laws of the physical universe, you've got to institute a method of "tackling" that removes bodyweight from the equation.

So, similar to a QB who slides to give himself up on the play, there should be an indicator for a defensive player who had reached the quarterback and is in full position to disrupt the play, to stop said play without applying full bodyweight on the quarterback.

There should be some sort of small cloth indicator worn by the quarterback that, when removed by a defensive player, indicates the stoppage of that play. Have the quarterback wear a belt with cloth indicators on both sides to be fair to all defenders.

I'm just spitballing here.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #564 on: September 24, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »
I though all three roughing flags on Clay Matthews were absolutely terrible calls, but if I'm a referee, that's what they told me is illegal, so I've got to call it.

Since the "full bodyweight" restriction is complete bulls!t and in most case against the laws of the physical universe, you've got to institute a method of "tackling" that removes bodyweight from the equation.

So, similar to a QB who slides to give himself up on the play, there should be an indicator for a defensive player who had reached the quarterback and is in full position to disrupt the play, to stop said play without applying full bodyweight on the quarterback.

There should be some sort of small cloth indicator worn by the quarterback that, when removed by a defensive player, indicates the stoppage of that play. Have the quarterback wear a belt with cloth indicators on both sides to be fair to all defenders.

Come on, this is the 21st century.  We can at least use some type of hologram projection, lasers or something of that sort.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #565 on: September 24, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »

I like the path you are on.  Some other ideas would be to 1) use tape to keep the belt from falling around the quarterback's legs. 2) Use a sharpie to write the quarterback's name on the belt with cloth indicators, that way they don't mix them up with the other quarterbacks.  Would be best to have the coaches keep the belts in a bag to only be used in practice and games.

Both would help eliminate delays in playing the game.

What are your thoughts on post-game snacks?

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #566 on: September 24, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »
What are your thoughts on post-game snacks?

I'm not sure... which one of you has the approved peanut-free list?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #567 on: September 24, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »

Could be worse, Dolphins lost arguably their best lineman, William Hayes, for the year cause he rolled/maneuvered funny trying to avoid the bodyweight penalty.

I sympathize with Packer fans (as hard as it is to say that).  The calls are correct by the letter of the law, but that rule is just atrocious.  The irony though is they are being "punished" by a role created cause of Rodgers' injury.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #568 on: September 24, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
Could be worse, Dolphins lost arguably their best lineman, William Hayes, for the year cause he rolled/maneuvered funny trying to avoid the bodyweight penalty.

I sympathize with Packer fans (as hard as it is to say that).  The calls are correct by the letter of the law, but that rule is just atrocious.  The irony though is they are being "punished" by a role created cause of Rodgers' injury.

Yea, that was no worse than when Hicks absolutely leveled Bradford.

Heard an interesting take though, the reason why guys like Von Miller and Mack don't often get called for that, is because they try go for the ball instead of trying to kill the QB.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #569 on: September 24, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »
A Panthers D-lineman had a big sack yesterday and the moment it happened I thought he might get flagged even though I didn't think he deserved to get flagged. Thankfully he didn't because it was a huge play.

But honestly, it was not one iota better or worse than what Matthews did either of the last 2 weeks.

And therein is part of the problem. The rule sucks ... and the refs will adjudicate it differently because, as the NFL acknowledges, it's a judgment call.

It's just a bad scene.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #570 on: September 24, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »
The plus side for the NFL is that no one is talking about Catch rules.

In the mind of the NFL, that's a win.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #571 on: September 24, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »
The plus side for the NFL is that no one is talking about Catch rules.

In the mind of the NFL, that's a win.

So true.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #572 on: September 24, 2018, 09:24:34 PM »
Not a big fan of the MNF analysts.

Both were far better players than analysts ... and Gruden was a better analyst than he is a coach!

In fairness, maybe they'll grow into it. We'll see.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #573 on: September 24, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »
Not a big fan of the MNF analysts.

Both were far better players than analysts ... and Gruden was a better analyst than he is a coach!

In fairness, maybe they'll grow into it. We'll see.

Agreed. I didn't love Gruden but I really liked McDonough. Surprised he was removed after two years.

EDIT: Just read an SI article that said he wasn't happy doing it. Hope the new guys improve.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:33:41 PM by MUeagle1090 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #574 on: September 25, 2018, 07:23:16 AM »
Agreed. I didn't love Gruden but I really liked McDonough. Surprised he was removed after two years.

EDIT: Just read an SI article that said he wasn't happy doing it. Hope the new guys improve.

Yeah he pretty much said that he liked college football more. My guess is that he couldn’t get along with Gruden too.

feedback