collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19  (Read 128012 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« Reply #500 on: September 18, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »
Hard to believe the NFL doubled down on this...what am I thinking, of course they did.

This is Roger's NFL.  Of course it makes sense.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #501 on: September 18, 2018, 11:31:42 AM »
He apparently was supposed to place a mint on Cousins' pillow.

Absolutely ridiculous, and asking the refs to make impossible judgment calls that will change the outcomes of games and playoff races.

Long-term, this kind of crap hurts the NFL more than a few guys kneeling during the anthem IMHO.
[/quote
The rule is a poor one but it was called on both teams.  Kendricks shoulder was on Rodgers while he still had the ball...should he have pulled up to let him throw? 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018091602/2018/REG2/Vikings@Packers?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2018091602#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000963824&tab=videos

Neither hit was a foul last year, the irony is that the rule was put in place because of the hit on Rodgers last year.  The timing was worse for the Packers but that doesn't mean it was a bad call - you can't have it both ways.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #502 on: September 19, 2018, 10:02:58 AM »
He apparently was supposed to place a mint on Cousins' pillow.

Absolutely ridiculous, and asking the refs to make impossible judgment calls that will change the outcomes of games and playoff races.

Long-term, this kind of crap hurts the NFL more than a few guys kneeling during the anthem IMHO.
[/quote
The rule is a poor one but it was called on both teams.  Kendricks shoulder was on Rodgers while he still had the ball...should he have pulled up to let him throw? 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018091602/2018/REG2/Vikings@Packers?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2018091602#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000963824&tab=videos

Neither hit was a foul last year, the irony is that the rule was put in place because of the hit on Rodgers last year.  The timing was worse for the Packers but that doesn't mean it was a bad call - you can't have it both ways.

Yes, that irony has not been lost on me.

As a guy who is neither a Packer backer nor a Viking liker, I still think the call was brutal, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #503 on: September 19, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »
The Bears are .500 for the first time since 2014.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #504 on: September 19, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »
The Bears are .500 for the first time since 2014.

Psssh.
That's not nearly enough to depress us Bears fans.
If you want to depress us, just show us the list of all-time receiving yardage leaders:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/career-receiving.htm

The Cleveland Browns have 6 guys ahead of our first guy.
The Jacksonville Jaguars, in existence since 1995, mind you, have two.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #505 on: September 19, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »
This is Roger's NFL.  Of course it makes sense.

Roger's called the flag against Minnesota for roughing him ridiculous - said there was nothing wrong with it.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #506 on: September 19, 2018, 04:56:21 PM »
Roger's called the flag against Minnesota for roughing him ridiculous - said there was nothing wrong with it.

Barfolomew meant Roger Goodell,  not Aaron Rodgers.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #507 on: September 19, 2018, 07:51:34 PM »

Barfolomew meant Roger Goodell,  not Aaron Rodgers.
Potato:potāto

MU82

• All American
« Reply #508 on: September 19, 2018, 11:36:53 PM »
That racism thread wasn't even a little political, and it had lots of sports in there. But OK. Guess we can't talk about racial issues.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #509 on: September 19, 2018, 11:52:24 PM »
That racism thread wasn't even a little political, and it had lots of sports in there. But OK. Guess we can't talk about racial issues.

One has to ask oneself as well, why do the same posters keep getting threads locked?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #510 on: September 20, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »
One has to ask oneself as well, why do the same posters keep getting threads locked?

Anti-bald bias?

My comments certainly didn't get that thread locked. And I have started many threads that haven't been locked, nor should they have been.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #511 on: September 20, 2018, 06:31:52 PM »
Anti-bald bias?

My comments certainly didn't get that thread locked. And I have started many threads that haven't been locked, nor should they have been.

Your bald? Ignored.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #512 on: September 20, 2018, 06:47:06 PM »
Your bald? Ignored.

You’re*

Unless you were referring to something else, ish
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #513 on: September 20, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »
Like monkey, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #514 on: September 20, 2018, 07:09:29 PM »
WTF dot gif
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #515 on: September 20, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »
Anti-bald bias?

thought you and Heisy were auto-locks if you started threads.  Or has that been lifted with the departure of our little buddy?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #516 on: September 20, 2018, 10:16:13 PM »
Surprisingly good game tonight

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #517 on: September 21, 2018, 01:20:51 PM »
He has mechanics problems, namely happy feet, as the announcers discussed numerous times.  He is great scripted, but when he gets away from the pre-set play list, he has been poor.  He overpowered a number of open looks. Underpowered the ball on his interception deep.  And his decision to throw that ball into the end zone on the scramble, thrown  across his body to two Seahawks, was terrible. He was extremely lucky that wasn't intercepted.

As his QB rating shows, he has been average. He has a lot of work to do but the potential is there. Cutler also had happy feet and never fixed his mechanics, which is our mental frame.

I thought Nagy's play calling was outstanding, working in the misdirection plays, btw.

I am so tired of the Chicago media dissing this guy. They're so full of cr*p, you have to duck when they sneeze.

Let's deal with reality. The Bears had a complete offensive change-over. New coach, new offensive coordinator, new wide receivers, etc. It takes time to build confidence and a rapport in people you're just now beginning to play with.

Trubisky is raw, clear and simple. Nobody said a word about what's happened to the Bears in the last year when evaluating Trubisky this week. I thought Ed O'Bradovich on the Hamp and OB show with Koz last Monday night was going to die of an anuryism or something complaining about Trubisky and noting he does not have the stats of Mahommes.

I get that too many Bear fans are afraid this latest quarterback will follow in the hallowed lines of Bobby Douglass, Jack Concannon, Jim Harbaugh, Cordell Stewart, Sexy Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler and last year's really bad mistake. But, guys, give him a year or two before you shoot him. I actually think he's going to be pretty good. Aaron Rodgers was not walking on water yet in his first year as a starter!

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #518 on: September 21, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
I get that too many Bear fans are afraid this latest quarterback will follow in the hallowed lines of Bobby Douglass, Jack Concannon, Jim Harbaugh, Cordell Stewart, Sexy Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler and last year's really bad mistake. But, guys, give him a year or two before you shoot him. I actually think he's going to be pretty good. Aaron Rodgers was not walking on water yet in his first year as a starter!

I agree, we should give Trubowsky at LEAST as much rope as the Cleveland fans gave Tyrod Taylor last night.
 ;)
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #519 on: September 21, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
If I had a dime for every time I heard, "It's not (enter Bears starting quarterback name here)'s fault, have you seen the coaching turnover he's had to go through?!" I'd be a 29 year old retired man right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #520 on: September 21, 2018, 02:07:13 PM »
I get that too many Bear fans are afraid this latest quarterback will follow in the hallowed lines of Bobby Douglass, Jack Concannon, Jim Harbaugh, Cordell Stewart, Sexy Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler and last year's really bad mistake.

I think of him more at the Bob Avellini level.

I jest, I jest.  As a Packers fan I hope that is true, but I agree with your assessment.  It's way too early.  There were a ton of calls to bench Favre at the beginning of his third year as starter.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #521 on: September 21, 2018, 02:15:18 PM »
I am so tired of the Chicago media dissing this guy. They're so full of cr*p, you have to duck when they sneeze.

Let's deal with reality. The Bears had a complete offensive change-over. New coach, new offensive coordinator, new wide receivers, etc. It takes time to build confidence and a rapport in people you're just now beginning to play with.

Trubisky is raw, clear and simple. Nobody said a word about what's happened to the Bears in the last year when evaluating Trubisky this week. I thought Ed O'Bradovich on the Hamp and OB show with Koz last Monday night was going to die of an anuryism or something complaining about Trubisky and noting he does not have the stats of Mahommes.

You may or may not be right, but Baker’s very first pass attempt looked more like that of an NFL QB than Trubisky has shown on any pass attempt so far.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #522 on: September 21, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »
You may or may not be right, but Baker’s very first pass attempt looked more like that of an NFL QB than Trubisky has shown on any pass attempt so far.

This makes zero sense to me. Whether it's Baker, Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky, Matt Flynn, etc...

Why are people so quick to condemn or crown a player after 1 good or 1 bad game? Why aren't other variables taken into account?

For example, switch Trubisky and Mahomes. One held a clipboard and played on a deep talented roster with a solidified coaching staff and scheme. They other played for the Bears.

Which player has the better numbers now?

Why not just wait for the season(s) to develop and make a statement when there's evidence?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #523 on: September 21, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »
This makes zero sense to me. Whether it's Baker, Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky, Matt Flynn, etc...

Why are people so quick to condemn or crown a player after 1 good or 1 bad game? Why aren't other variables taken into account?

For example, switch Trubisky and Mahomes. One held a clipboard and played on a deep talented roster with a solidified coaching staff and scheme. They other played for the Bears.

Which player has the better numbers now?

Why not just wait for the season(s) to develop and make a statement when there's evidence?

I understand what you are saying, Jes, but I was just giving the results of a simple eye test. I have seen about half a dozen of Trubisky's games and have yet to see even a single pass as crisp and in rhythm as the 1st pass by Mayfield. Simple as that.

In one game, we have already seen the "wow factor" by Mayfield. We have also seen it with the other young QBs - Wentz, Goff, Watson, Mayfield, and Mahomes.

We have not seen it even once yet from Trubisky.

Will Trubisky rise to the level of these other 5? Who knows? But he hasn't shown it yet. I see Alex Smith as Mitch's ceiling. A viable QB, but not a guy who will ever lead his team to a Super Bowl. It will take a top defense to get there with a QB like Trubisky.

Time will tell if I'm right or just another idiot with an opinion.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #524 on: September 21, 2018, 10:53:02 PM »
The Bears' QB history comes into play when folks look at Trubisky.

Of course it's not fair. Of course it's silly. But that doesn't matter. It just is.

It's kind of like the Cubbies. No matter how good (or usually bad) they were, they were the Cubs and they were going to lose. Until they won.

The narrative won't change on Trubisky until he changes it. Again, not fair because he's still just a kid, but that's life in the big city.