collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19  (Read 128029 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« Reply #475 on: September 17, 2018, 10:10:34 AM »
Seriously?  I love Wayne and Larry.  Not quite as much as Jim and Max but pretty close.

Max and Jim were the best. Max had a kind of a laid back, cyncical attitude that was really fun to listen to when the Packers were bad.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #476 on: September 17, 2018, 10:15:16 AM »
Max and Jim were the best. Max had a kind of a laid back, cyncical attitude that was really fun to listen to when the Packers were bad.

Wasn't Max drunk most of the time?

Growing up listening to Wayne Larraive, that mofo can still get me jacked for a big packers play for a second.  Damn him.

Jeff Joniak and Thayer are great radio guys.  Ticked that they moved Zach Zaidman to the Cubs broadcast.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #477 on: September 17, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »
Nonsense.

please explain what super power is needed to NOT land on a QB if you are running straight at him. Maybe Clay should have hovered in the air so he didn’t land on Cousins.

I didn't make or agree with the rule, but that is now the rule.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #478 on: September 17, 2018, 11:09:55 AM »
Maybe a quarter century of Favre and Rodgers has spoiled me.

If you love Rodgers, can't understand why you would not want to watch one of the best QBs ever ply his trade, but to each his own.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #479 on: September 17, 2018, 01:19:22 PM »
I’ve been out of the market for a long time but I don’t recall Larivee ever cheering for opponent penalties or clapping when the packers won a coin flip. Also had no idea until I got home how bad the Matthews penalty was. You would’ve thought he murderer Kirk and they were also calling for him to be ejected for arguing. It was pretty bad.

Also, those dudes HATE Treadwell.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #480 on: September 17, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »
I didn't make or agree with the rule, but that is now the rule.

Can we move on to a different topic?  He's already ruled on this.

I didn’t see the one called on the Vikings.

I have no idea what the rule is but it would be impossible not to rough the quarterback on a clean tackle like Matthews’.

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #481 on: September 17, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »
Wasn't Max drunk most of the time?

Growing up listening to Wayne Larraive, that mofo can still get me jacked for a big packers play for a second.  Damn him.

Jeff Joniak and Thayer are great radio guys.  Ticked that they moved Zach Zaidman to the Cubs broadcast.

Nope, that was Harry Caray.  Max used the 'drinking' montra kind of the same way that Dean Martin did.  'Maxi the taxi' cemented his historic legacy with a 7 catch, 2 touchdown game in Super Bowl I when he came off the bench early for an injured Boyd Dowler after a night of carousing in LA playing on essentially no sleep and likely hung over.  Reportedly in private life, especially in his later years, he was a real gentleman.  A true Packers legend. 

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #482 on: September 17, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »
Vikings cut Carlson, sign Bailey.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #483 on: September 17, 2018, 02:59:22 PM »

I'm surprised he actually got on the plane back to Minny.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #484 on: September 17, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »
Yeah, Vikings definitely improved the team with that signing.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #485 on: September 17, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »

They had no other choice but to dump the kid. No-brainer of all no-brainers.

His career might not be over, though. Gano bounced around for a few years before landing in Charlotte, where he's been pretty darn good. That kind of thing has happened to others, too. It's the life of a kicker.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #486 on: September 17, 2018, 07:27:49 PM »
This announcing crew is... interesting.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #487 on: September 17, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »
That was a nifty goal-line play

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #488 on: September 17, 2018, 08:33:23 PM »
Bear's War Room 2017...

"Hey Ryan, there are a lot of pretty good QBs projected to be late first rounders this year, should we trade down or wait until a loaded QB class next year. Or at the absolute worst, take Mitch at number 3?"

Ryan Pace: "I can do you one better, let's trade UP for Trubisky."

Look I'm a pretty patient fan when it comes to the Bears, and I really like the Mack trade and the defensive pickups, but Trubisky is effing terrible.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:37:35 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #489 on: September 17, 2018, 08:58:04 PM »
Bear's War Room 2017...

"Hey Ryan, there are a lot of pretty good QBs projected to be late first rounders this year, should we trade down or wait until a loaded QB class next year. Or at the absolute worst, take Mitch at number 3?"

Ryan Pace: "I can do you one better, let's trade UP for Trubisky."

Look I'm a pretty patient fan when it comes to the Bears, and I really like the Mack trade and the defensive pickups, but Trubisky is effing terrible.

i wonder what their guys didn't like about mahomes and watson? wouldn't have cost them any draft picks.  cheezus, trubisky shouldn't have cost them either, but even if trubisky is gone , they coulda had one of the other 2
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #490 on: September 17, 2018, 09:18:13 PM »
That defense is legit though. If Trubisky even plays to Case Keenum levels the Bears are a playoff team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #491 on: September 17, 2018, 09:28:30 PM »
I would love to see Mahomes' numbers in the first 2 weeks in Chicago. Or Watson's numbers from last year. (Interesting how Watson hasn't impressed so far this year). Maybe give those guys time to pan out too.

But I'm perfectly happy with Pace being aggressive in building the roster he wants. He's tying his rep/legacy to his picks. Not doing it the safe way. Good for him. If it works, great. If it doesn't, we'll try another rebuild.

I'm also not content to give up on a guy who had 14 college starts and is in his 13th? NFL start. Give him time.

It's funny how many fans I hear wanted Trubisky to start right away last year to get him "experience", but don't want to give him the time now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #492 on: September 18, 2018, 08:27:50 AM »
If I’m a Bear fan, I would be perfectly happy from what I’ve seen from Trubisky. He’s got the arm, he generally makes good decisions, but his issue is lack of experience. I think he’ll fix most of those mistakes over time.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #493 on: September 18, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »
If I’m a Bear fan, I would be perfectly happy from what I’ve seen from Trubisky. He’s got the arm, he generally makes good decisions, but his issue is lack of experience. I think he’ll fix most of those mistakes over time.

He has mechanics problems, namely happy feet, as the announcers discussed numerous times.  He is great scripted, but when he gets away from the pre-set play list, he has been poor.  He overpowered a number of open looks. Underpowered the ball on his interception deep.  And his decision to throw that ball into the end zone on the scramble, thrown  across his body to two Seahawks, was terrible. He was extremely lucky that wasn't intercepted.

As his QB rating shows, he has been average. He has a lot of work to do but the potential is there. Cutler also had happy feet and never fixed his mechanics, which is our mental frame.

I thought Nagy's play calling was outstanding, working in the misdirection plays, btw.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #494 on: September 18, 2018, 08:53:15 AM »
He has mechanics problems, namely happy feet, as the announcers discussed numerous times.  He is great scripted, but when he gets away from the pre-set play list, he has been poor.  He overpowered a number of open looks. Underpowered the ball on his interception deep.  And his decision to throw that ball into the end zone on the scramble, thrown  across his body to two Seahawks, was terrible. He was extremely lucky that wasn't intercepted.

As his QB rating shows, he has been average. He has a lot of work to do but the potential is there. Cutler also had happy feet and never fixed his mechanics, which is our mental frame.

I thought Nagy's play calling was outstanding, working in the misdirection plays, btw.

Yeah I think we are on the same page. When the game slows down, his mechanics should get better. (Maybe they don’t though.) And he won’t make that throw.

But this is generally what young QBs look like. When you look at all the other crap guys playing QB, I would be cautiously optimistic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #495 on: September 18, 2018, 09:08:59 AM »
So apparently the Matthews hit was against the rules and will actually be used as an example as what not to do.

This is what the NFL wants I guess. Not sure what a defender is supposed to do. Can’t really blame Matthews.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #496 on: September 18, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »
So apparently the Matthews hit was against the rules and will actually be used as an example as what not to do.

This is what the NFL wants I guess. Not sure what a defender is supposed to do. Can’t really blame Matthews.

He apparently was supposed to place a mint on Cousins' pillow.

Absolutely ridiculous, and asking the refs to make impossible judgment calls that will change the outcomes of games and playoff races.

Long-term, this kind of crap hurts the NFL more than a few guys kneeling during the anthem IMHO.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #497 on: September 18, 2018, 09:17:07 AM »
He apparently was supposed to place a mint on Cousins' pillow.

Absolutely ridiculous, and asking the refs to make impossible judgment calls that will change the outcomes of games and playoff races.

Long-term, this kind of crap hurts the NFL more than a few guys kneeling during the anthem IMHO.

The college rules regarding all sorts of things are much simpler IMO, and require less judgement calls. The NFL has moved in the opposite direction to its detriment.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #498 on: September 18, 2018, 09:42:17 AM »
On Trubisky, I didn't think he played well last night. He should have had at least three first half picks, he had overthrows to Howard and Gabriel (both were wide open) and he cut that keeper outside, when he would have picked up the first down just running inside.

For better or worse, he's going to have the weight of a #2 overall pick that was traded up for, tied to his expectations. He's going to have to live with the fact he got picked over Watson and Mahomes, and the three will be judged together.

His read progression needs all kinds of help. That's where his lack of game experience shows up the most. I don't know how they work that through other than reps. Nagy can't use his entire playbook with Trubisky yet, and it shows after they get through the scripted plays.

The other problem he faces is that the Bears window opened up once they traded for Mack. I still don't expect them to be a playoff team this year, but the progression needs to show itself. Next year if they are not contending for the division, then they have to consider options. Their defense is good and young and signed through the next few seasons. They spent money and draft capital on offensive skill players. That window can close fast due to injuries/salary cap, so if they want to be good, he needs to get good by the end of this year.

I'm worried that I don't see "it" with him. Mahomes isn't perfect, I watched that game on Sunday, and he missed some throws, but he carries himself and looks like he has "it". I think if Trubisky can get on a run and get some confidence, we might see it flash, but so far he just looks like a young QB who has potential, trying to figure it out.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #499 on: September 18, 2018, 10:04:08 AM »

Hard to believe the NFL doubled down on this...what am I thinking, of course they did.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

feedback