[May 13, 2024, 08:47:10 PM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[May 13, 2024, 08:40:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by brewcity77
[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Give me a break Joey  (Read 46786 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Give me a break Joey
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2019, 06:42:30 PM »
Actually, most think that that should be a special rule applicable to Dayton transfers only.

Players going from D2 to D1 deserve special rules.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2019, 06:51:28 PM »
Speaking of Joey wanting a waiver.....

I see Grimes got his even though he played the entire year for Kansas. I guess he deserved it cuz Kansas recruited over him.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:14:05 PM by Jockey »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2019, 07:03:22 PM »
Yeah you're right, that's the way the world is now...whatever people want, we'll just give it to them "here ya go...you get a car! You get a car! You get a car!" So you don't think that when they get out of college, they will never have any BIG decisions to make?? Who to marry, what job to take, how much house can I afford?? You make a bad decision with one of those things, guess what?? there's going to be consequences in some way, shape or form. Are these little kids, or are they young ADULTS??

Learning that, if you make a mistake(sine you don't seemingly like the word bad decision, even though that's what it is), that's okay(we all make them), but..most of the time there's consequences for those mistakes. In this case, you sit out a year. I know you're one of those "let's give everyone a handout" type of people, but guess what?? They are still getting the same scholarship, housing, etc no matter where they transfer too. So they sit out a year?? Maybe by sitting out a year it helps them get acclimated to their new surroundings, so they are truly happy this time and don't want to transfer again. Nah, that can't be.

So, when you are a little kid(which you are implying they are) and you're trying to make a decision on which school you want to attend and continue your athletic career, perhaps, you should make 100% certain(along with your parents), that you are truly making the right choice. Do you like the way the program is run?? Will you get the playing time you desire(if you earn it)?? What about the coaches?? Do you like them?? And most importantly which is so lost on most of these SA's now days, is...do you like the SCHOOL, the city, the academics, the girls etc. Because after all, you SHOULD be committing to the University, NOT the Coach. If he leaves, will you still be happy there?? That to me should be the most important thing that SA's consider above all else. Not enough do. I think that's wrong.

You make a commitment, you stick with it..isn't that what we are taught growing up?? If you marry someone, and you aren't truly happy, are you going to just leave right away, after all you have been through, or are you first going to see if you can try to make it work somehow, and then after that, if all else fails, you can move on.

I know this much, my dad point blank told me growing up, if I played sports at the college level and made a commitment to that school, that was were i was staying. Period. None of this transferring BS. I made a commitment, I stick with it. He wasn't going to hear any of that "but I don't get to play enough etc etc" nonsense.

Much, much, different world we live in now. Sadly enough, a vast majority of society just shrugs their shoulders over things now and just says "oh well, that's the way it is". No one is held responsible anymore. It's sad.

I like gladiator movies
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2019, 09:13:08 PM »
Yeah you're right, that's the way the world is now...whatever people want, we'll just give it to them "here ya go...you get a car! You get a car! You get a car!" So you don't think that when they get out of college, they will never have any BIG decisions to make?? Who to marry, what job to take, how much house can I afford?? You make a bad decision with one of those things, guess what?? there's going to be consequences in some way, shape or form. Are these little kids, or are they young ADULTS??

Learning that, if you make a mistake(sine you don't seemingly like the word bad decision, even though that's what it is), that's okay(we all make them), but..most of the time there's consequences for those mistakes. In this case, you sit out a year. I know you're one of those "let's give everyone a handout" type of people, but guess what?? They are still getting the same scholarship, housing, etc no matter where they transfer too. So they sit out a year?? Maybe by sitting out a year it helps them get acclimated to their new surroundings, so they are truly happy this time and don't want to transfer again. Nah, that can't be.

So, when you are a little kid(which you are implying they are) and you're trying to make a decision on which school you want to attend and continue your athletic career, perhaps, you should make 100% certain(along with your parents), that you are truly making the right choice. Do you like the way the program is run?? Will you get the playing time you desire(if you earn it)?? What about the coaches?? Do you like them?? And most importantly which is so lost on most of these SA's now days, is...do you like the SCHOOL, the city, the academics, the girls etc. Because after all, you SHOULD be committing to the University, NOT the Coach. If he leaves, will you still be happy there?? That to me should be the most important thing that SA's consider above all else. Not enough do. I think that's wrong.

You make a commitment, you stick with it..isn't that what we are taught growing up?? If you marry someone, and you aren't truly happy, are you going to just leave right away, after all you have been through, or are you first going to see if you can try to make it work somehow, and then after that, if all else fails, you can move on.

I know this much, my dad point blank told me growing up, if I played sports at the college level and made a commitment to that school, that was were i was staying. Period. None of this transferring BS. I made a commitment, I stick with it. He wasn't going to hear any of that "but I don't get to play enough etc etc" nonsense.

Much, much, different world we live in now. Sadly enough, a vast majority of society just shrugs their shoulders over things now and just says "oh well, that's the way it is". No one is held responsible anymore. It's sad.

So your dad used to hit you and give you unreasonable demands.

Sounds like a great guy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2019, 09:41:03 PM »
I like gladiator movies

Scraps is a boy dog, isn't he?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2019, 09:50:35 PM »
Speaking of Joey wanting a waver.....

I see Grimes got his even though he played the entire year for Kansas. I guess he deserved it cuz Kansas recruited over him.

He probably claimed it didn't count as a year, because Kansas' check bounced.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2019, 06:36:59 AM »
Scraps is a boy dog, isn't he?

“Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?”
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2019, 06:41:04 AM »
All right Joey/Quentin et al, you want a consistent rule regarding immediate eligibility, consider this:

A student athlete would be immediately eligible to play for another member institution if the following conditions were met:

1) The coach at the school from which the student-athlete is transferring is fired, resigns or otherwise terminated for cause.
2) The school from which the student-athlete is transferring is placed on probation for violations of NCAA rules and regulations so as to limit or eliminate post-season eligibility.
3) The student-athlete has one year of eligibility remaining and has received his Bachelor's degree at the school from which he is transferring.
4) The school from which the student-athlete is transferring releases the student athlete from the contract governing his scholarship.

Item 4 would allow for hardship cases. Every school has them from time to time. We had them with Duane Wilson and Haanif. Item 3 is today's grad-transfer rule and Items 1 and 2 is very student favorable.

Under this very reasonable rule, neither Joey nor Quentin Grimes would have been allowed to play this year. Sorry Joey, your ego does not qualify for a hardship.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2019, 06:43:17 AM »
I like gladiator movies
Yes. A classic line uttered by Capt. Over Peter Graves in Airplane " Joey  do you like Gladiator movies?" As he then succumbed to his fish dinner.
"Shirley you cant be serious"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2019, 06:52:37 AM »
All right Joey/Quentin et al, you want a consistent rule regarding immediate eligibility, consider this:

A student athlete would be immediately eligible to play for another member institution if the following conditions were met:

1) The coach at the school from which the student-athlete is transferring is fired, resigns or otherwise terminated for cause.
2) The school from which the student-athlete is transferring is placed on probation for violations of NCAA rules and regulations so as to limit or eliminate post-season eligibility.
3) The student-athlete has one year of eligibility remaining and has received his Bachelor's degree at the school from which he is transferring.
4) The school from which the student-athlete is transferring releases the student athlete from the contract governing his scholarship.

Item 4 would allow for hardship cases. Every school has them from time to time. We had them with Duane Wilson and Haanif. Item 3 is today's grad-transfer rule and Items 1 and 2 is very student favorable.

Under this very reasonable rule, neither Joey nor Quentin Grimes would have been allowed to play this year. Sorry Joey, your ego does not qualify for a hardship.

Grimes would still be eligible this year. Kansas released him from his scholarship because they filled it with another player and also wrote a letter of recommendation that he be allowed to play immediately.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2019, 07:13:34 AM »

Duane graduated to my recollection, not hardship. Did you mean Deonte?
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2019, 07:32:53 AM »
Yes

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2019, 08:01:13 AM »
So your dad used to hit you and give you unreasonable demands.

Sounds like a great guy.
And we've seen the results.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2019, 05:20:50 PM »
Why don't you stop worrying about it...it doesn't affect you one iota either. 

You asked a serious question, guru, so I will give you a serious answer, with no mud-slinging or name-calling or anything of that sort ...

Because I am for what benefits the young athlete/students who work so hard for my alma mater, who bring me school pride and who provide a lot of entertainment during the college basketball season. To me, it is important that they be treated like their peers, who are allowed to profit off their own likenesses without having to give up eligibility in their chosen activities and who are allowed to attend a different school without having to give up their chosen activities for a year.

I really do understand your reluctance to those concepts, though. The prospect of status quo changing significantly can seem scary.

It's a big reason why there were people at southern schools who were against their schools recruiting black athletes; why there were lots of fans of men's sports who were vocally opposed to women receiving athletic scholarships; why there were people against freshmen being eligible to play varsity college sports; why there were people against athletes being able to go pro before they exhausted their college eligibility; why there were people against college basketball adopting the 3-point line and shot clock; why there were (and still are) people against the grad-transfer rule; etc, etc, etc.

People tend to want to hang onto what they have known, and that's just human nature. But it's pretty important to note that none of those scary changes to the status quo actually "ruined" college sports as many feared they might. Indeed, many would argue that at least some of those things enhanced college sports.

Athletes being able to profit off their own likenesses without having to give up their eligibility won't ruin college sports IMHO. Nor would athletes being able to transfer without having to sit out a season.

College sports are resilient. They have been for well over a century.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2019, 06:45:38 PM »
First, equating those who do not want free transfers to those who did not want african Americans to play sports is a load of crap.
If student athleyes k ow there is no penalty to transfer, the number of transfers wil multiply. IMHO

Second, I feel that allowing NIL in theory wil work. I think the big shoe companies will sign the major players and have them sign exclusive deals. This wil effectively end shoe company deals with schools. Less money to schools. Less money to coaches. Not a problem, spread the wealth.  I do see a problem with the NCAA trying to review NIL agreements with local businesses/boosters both before an athlete enrolls and after.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2019, 06:52:50 PM »
First, equating those who do not want free transfers to those who did not want african Americans to play sports is a load of crap.
If student athleyes k ow there is no penalty to transfer, the number of transfers wil multiply. IMHO

Second, I feel that allowing NIL in theory wil work. I think the big shoe companies will sign the major players and have them sign exclusive deals. This wil effectively end shoe company deals with schools. Less money to schools. Less money to coaches. Not a problem, spread the wealth.  I do see a problem with the NCAA trying to review NIL agreements with local businesses/boosters both before an athlete enrolls and after.

I wasn't "equating" it to that, or to Title IX, or to other things. I was simply saying that there have been a number of major events/rules/legislation/etc that have happened, and each was preceded by much hand-wringing by many people who didn't want the status quo to change.

As for your worries about what the bad things that the imminent NIL rules might usher in, I agree there will be a feeling-out process that could be uncomfortable for some. I happen to still think it's worth it. You don't. We both have opinions. I side with benefiting the athlete/students. I also believe I'm siding with what's actually gonna happen. Folks can kick and scream and worry and resist, but it sure looks like it's gonna happen anyway.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2019, 07:39:18 PM »
I wasn't "equating" it to that, or to Title IX, or to other things. I was simply saying that there have been a number of major events/rules/legislation/etc that have happened, and each was preceded by much hand-wringing by many people who didn't want the status quo to change.

As for your worries about what the bad things that the imminent NIL rules might usher in, I agree there will be a feeling-out process that could be uncomfortable for some. I happen to still think it's worth it. You don't. We both have opinions. I side with benefiting the athlete/students. I also believe I'm siding with what's actually gonna happen. Folks can kick and scream and worry and resist, but it sure looks like it's gonna happen anyway.
I agree that there will be changes in NIL, and I am curious to see who is willing to budge. Will the agents who were vehement about having to be scrutinized by the NCAA now reconsider? Will the NCAA allow NIL deals once they pass a "clearinghouse? How will those guidelines be determined (what is fair market value, etc?) Will states adopt their own NIL laws, or will there be a federal law? Does this trickle down to high school players as well? Will shoe companies not sponsor college teams anymore? And again, for the record, I am for paying players. I also feel they will be considered employees , which is a good thing, the next time they wish to challenge this.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2019, 09:51:29 PM »
I agree that there will be changes in NIL, and I am curious to see who is willing to budge. Will the agents who were vehement about having to be scrutinized by the NCAA now reconsider? Will the NCAA allow NIL deals once they pass a "clearinghouse? How will those guidelines be determined (what is fair market value, etc?) Will states adopt their own NIL laws, or will there be a federal law? Does this trickle down to high school players as well? Will shoe companies not sponsor college teams anymore? And again, for the record, I am for paying players. I also feel they will be considered employees , which is a good thing, the next time they wish to challenge this.

I share much of your curiosity about where this all goes. And I also think you're right about athlete/students eventually being legally defined as "employees."

Have a good one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2019, 10:19:53 PM »
I share much of your curiosity about where this all goes. And I also think you're right about athlete/students eventually being legally defined as "employees."

Have a good one.

Lol

Even the 9th circuit has shot that down.  Good luck. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2019, 11:39:54 PM »
You're right, I'm a great guy, he did a great job with me....My expectations for MU basketball are high, because I have high expectations for not only myself, but also things I have a lot of passion for.

As far as you go...your socialistic views/beliefs come out in every single post. You're type are what's wrong with society today. It flat out disgusts me. You should be freaking ashamed of yourself for being societies filth. Someone messed up badly with how they raised you, that's for damn sure. That is clearly obvious. If you have kids, I feel sorry for them that you injected them with your poisonous views and beliefs. They are never going to have a chance to be respectful members of society. That's a shame. They deserve better.
Looks like somebody has his cranky pants on today. Either that or he got into mom’s cooking sherry.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2019, 12:03:41 AM »

Have a good one.

So if they're employees who can leave whenever they want can they also be fired when their employer sees fit? Wouldn't it be awesome if Duke could fire 5 guys at the semester (better yet, 2 weeks before the tournament and hire the 5 best players not playing for Kentucky?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2019, 12:34:06 AM »
So if they're employees who can leave whenever they want can they also be fired when their employer sees fit? Wouldn't it be awesome if Duke could fire 5 guys at the semester (better yet, 2 weeks before the tournament and hire the 5 best players not playing for Kentucky?

Yup

And start to tax those scholarships, and pay taxes in every state they play in like the pro jock taxes.  And start to contribute to health care which they currently get for free from the school. 

Ahh, those unintended consequences the unicorn brigade rarely contemplates.  Going to be awesome.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2019, 01:16:29 AM »

Yup

And start to tax those scholarships, and pay taxes in every state they play in like the pro jock taxes.  And start to contribute to health care which they currently get for free from the school. 

Ahh, those unintended consequences the unicorn brigade rarely contemplates.  Going to be awesome.

Thanks for playing

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2019, 06:30:34 AM »
Non compete clauses. Simple fix. Can only fire for cause. Which they do now anyway.