[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Big East schedule released  (Read 5651 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Big East schedule released
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »
Big East schedule released

A young and inexperienced Golden Eagles had better do plenty of growing up early this season.

Three games against the two teams picked by many observers to finish 1-2 in the Big East -- with two of those on the road -- highlight the opening stretch of MU's conference schedule, which was released by the league office this morning.

MU will kick off its fifth season in the Big East on Dec. 29 at West Virginia, its earliest start to league play to date. The Golden Eagles then host Villanova in their home opener on Jan. 2, the second time in as many seasons they'll start at the Bradley Center with the Wildcats.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/58501897.html

GoMarquetteSays

[GoMarquette.com] Golden Eagles Announce 2009-10 BIG EAST Schedule
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »
Golden Eagles Announce 2009-10 BIG EAST Schedule

The 2009-10 Marquette University men's basketball schedule is now finalized, following the announcement of the league schedule by the BIG EAST Conference office Thursday afternoon.

http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091009aaa.html

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Big East schedule released
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:28:10 AM »
3 Saturday BE home games:  Nova (1/2), USF and ND...ouch.

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Big East schedule released
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 11:30:03 AM »
Big East schedule released

A young and inexperienced Golden Eagles had better do plenty of growing up early this season.

Three games against the two teams picked by many observers to finish 1-2 in the Big East -- with two of those on the road -- highlight the opening stretch of MU's conference schedule, which was released by the league office this morning.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/58501897.html

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Re: [GoMarquette.com] Golden Eagles Announce 2009-10 BIG EAST Schedule
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »
Don't like the back-to-back to start the BE season. Presbyterian in Milwaukee, then travel to West Virginia for a game the next day. Presbyterian shouldn't be a challenge, but certainly does help prepare for Butler, Ebanks and Co. the next day.

At least we finish the last two tough ones at home.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
Is WVU the 28th or 29th?  Its listed on different days in different versions of the schedule.  Presbyterian is the 27th, so we might have a day in between.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 11:54:41 AM »
It says West Virginia 12/28/09 on the gomarquette.com site

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »
It says West Virginia 12/28/09 on the gomarquette.com site

West Virginia is going to be looking for revenge.  Huggins was pissed last year.  I had hoped for a little more time/experience before going in there.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »
3 Saturday BE home games:  Nova (1/2), USF and ND...ouch.

Bucks, Turners, Calderone Pub et al just got a big hose job.  Nova due to the holiday weekend and USF because well they're USF are each going to be light games.  ND is really the only true "MU Saturday".  

On the upside, this has all but guaranteed my liver makes it to Lazar's Senior Night.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
According to the WVU basketball site the game is on 12/29.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »
wow you guys got screwed by the big east:
12/28/09 at West Virginia * Morgantown, WV TBA
01/02/10 vs. Villanova *  Milwaukee, Wis. 2:30 p.m. CT
01/06/10 vs. Georgetown * Milwaukee, Wis. TBA
01/09/10 at Villanova * Villanova, Pa. TBA

to start the season! :o Ouch!

Pitt got screwed similarly:
start the season @cuse, @ cinci, @ UConn, vs. Louisville, vs. Gtown

BE apparently hates teams that are rebuilding.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 08:32:15 PM »
wow you guys got screwed by the big east:

Don't forget the end of last season.  UConn, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse.   Four tough games (which happened to be losses) heading into the tournament.  Brutal.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 08:44:06 AM »
While the beginning of the BE schedule is brutal it will be nice to know exactly how far our team has come and how far we have to go to be considered a contender again.

It's nice to be the underdog :)

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 09:23:09 AM »
Don't forget the end of last season.  UConn, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse.   Four tough games (which happened to be losses) heading into the tournament.  Brutal.
Great point.  I think that this schedule actually favors us.  Do we really think that we are going to beat Villanova in January or March?  Not unless someone pulls a Novak and makes every shot and most are 3s.  So lets get passed (and learn from) the nearly impossible to win games, become a bit more seasoned and surprise the Louisvilles and UConns and NDs.  If we are 2-2 in conference after @WV, @Vill, Vill, and GT, we should crown Buzz king.  If we are 1-3; hey not bad.  Tough to even get upset at 0-4 but it will hurt. 
Ring-out Ahoya!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 09:37:16 AM »
I'm just shocked that nearly an entire day has passed and our wiki page is still out of date.  :o

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/2009#schedule

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 10:36:58 AM »
I'm just shocked that nearly an entire day has passed and our wiki page is still out of date.

...and DJO is listed as a senior on the roster.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »
I'm just shocked that nearly an entire day has passed and our wiki page is still out of date.  :o

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/2009#schedule

Edit: Delete

I agree with Marquette84 that I don't think we should accept a 12th place finish, I don't think we should accept an 10th or 11th place finish.  I would find the season to be disappointing if we are below .500 in BE play.

(I'll probably get crucified for this because I haven't done all the research necessary by looking up all the stats of returners and looking up the newcomers, but hell here it goes.)

Big East Schedule

At WVU:  L.  I don't see it being that close of a game.  I see the kids playing tough and well for the first half.  But I see them just getting worn down by the opposing crowd and Huggins going for the throat and revenge. (0-1)

Home Nova:  L.  I think we'll keep it close for awhile, but in the end it'll get away. (0-2)

Home Gtown: W/L this game will be interesting.  I think it is a game that we can win.  I think Lazar matches up well against monroe and they are losing some of their key elements.  The game will be interesting to see how far along the youngsters have progressed.  If they haven't that much, then Gtown will eat them alive-if they have I see them winning the game at home. (1-2)

At Nova:  L.  'nough said.  (1-3)

Home Providence:  W.  If we lose it would be a complete disappointment.  Providence is rebuilding as well, and if MU can't rebuild better and quicker than PC then we have a problem and should look into why we hadn't done a better job. (2-3)

At DePaul: W.  It's never easy winning on the road, but it is DePaul.  I don't care if DePaul has improved, and we lost a lot-we should still beat DePaul.  (3-3)

At 'Cuse:  L.  It'll be better than at WVU and Nova, but still be a loss. (3-4)

Home Rutgers: W.  Tough game, but by now the youngster have been through some knocks and will be able to pull it out with 'Zar leading the way by action at home.  (4-4)

At UConn:  L. Tough game.  The newcomers are coming around and are growing on the road.  But still not enough late in the game. (4-5)

Home DePaul: W  (5-5)

At Providence: W.  Intense game, but I believe we broke the Dunkin Donuts curse last year and the kids pull one out on the road.  (6-5)

Home USF W.  The team is a rollin' (7-5)

Home Pitt I'm going out on a limb and saying W.  It'll be a crazy Thursday at the BC (8-5)

At Cincinatti L.  I do see the team coming real close in this one.  (8-6)

At St. Johns W.  I just have no respect for the SJ. (9-6)

At Seton Hall L.  Three games on the road is tough and  Seton Hall will be tough on us. (9-7)

Home Louisville L.  The greasy snake sneaks out a win. (9-8)

Home Dame W.  I just can't ever say that Dame will win against MU.  I don't care if MU is the worst team in the nation and ND is the best.  It just violates something to say that.  Also, Senior Night will be better than last years.  (10-8)

I know 10-8 may be a stretch to some.  But if MU is to elivate the program, a re-building year must look like this.  And I think it is reasonable to expect something of this nature if we are to consider MU a basketball staple.

Marquette University, Spring '08

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
I like 10-8, that's actually what I think as well - I have us winning at Seton Hall though, at losing at Providence - could be 9-9 if we lose to G'Town or ND at home though.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »
I like 10-8, that's actually what I think as well - I have us winning at Seton Hall though, at losing at Providence - could be 9-9 if we lose to G'Town or ND at home though.

Yeah, there's a lot of variables.  Could win some tough games, could lose some game that I thought the team would win. 

I agree with the GTown and ND games.  Those will be big games for the team.  One early and one at the end. 

I just don't think we should settle for a 6-12 record and call it a "rebuilding team" without a little bit of questioning.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 12:19:23 PM »
Yeah, there's a lot of variables.  Could win some tough games, could lose some game that I thought the team would win. 

I agree with the GTown and ND games.  Those will be big games for the team.  One early and one at the end. 

I just don't think we should settle for a 6-12 record and call it a "rebuilding team" without a little bit of questioning.

Where were you guys a month ago when I needed someone backing me!! :D

Seriously, I'm still sticking with .500. 

The thing I don't like about a tough early schedule is that you won't be considered one of the league's leaders when the NCAA basketball selection committee first starts meeting.  I'd rather already be under consideration for a bid the last two weeks and lose to a #1 or #2 seed rather than trying to play my way in over the last two weeks.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 12:38:38 PM »
Remember our first BE game...  Unproven.  Untested. 

I'm going with 10 W.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »
Where were you guys a month ago when I needed someone backing me!! :D

Seriously, I'm still sticking with .500. 

The thing I don't like about a tough early schedule is that you won't be considered one of the league's leaders when the NCAA basketball selection committee first starts meeting.  I'd rather already be under consideration for a bid the last two weeks and lose to a #1 or #2 seed rather than trying to play my way in over the last two weeks.

Apparently not reading the board as frequently as I am now.

Obviously my prediction is a bit on the optimistic side, but hey, that's what the offseason is for.

I like having the tough schedule early, despite your point about the selection committee.  As someone pointed out, we likely wouldn't win at Nova, whether it be in January or March so I'd rather play them early and gauge the team's ability.  After the tough four to start we can gain some momentum going into the last two tough home games (UL and ND) and into the BE tourney.  If we Nova twice, WV, and Gtown at the end of the year - it could mean we were playing our way out of the NCAAs.  I like winning late over winning early.

On a different note, anyone know what's going on with the WV point guards that are suspended indefinitely?  Do we expect them back before the 1st BE game?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 02:37:41 PM »

[I agree with Marquette84 that I don't think we should accept a 12th place finish, I don't think we should accept an 10th or 11th place finish.  I would find the season to be disappointing if we are below .500 in BE play.]

This is going to be a very trying year for Marquette fans. I just do not see how a roster with so many untested players will play .500 ball in the BE. Setting a .500 level as disappointing is setting the bar very high.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »

I know 10-8 may be a stretch to some.  But if MU is to elivate the program, a re-building year must look like this.  And I think it is reasonable to expect something of this nature if we are to consider MU a basketball staple.

I mostly like your conclusions.  The only one that I don't agree with is Pitt though. That will be a tough one to win but it is at home and in late February.  I think that we will pull of a couple of signature wins but that we will also lose one or two that we should win.  Being consistent will be difficult with such a new team.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 07:46:19 PM »

[I agree with Marquette84 that I don't think we should accept a 12th place finish, I don't think we should accept an 10th or 11th place finish.  I would find the season to be disappointing if we are below .500 in BE play.]

This is going to be a very trying year for Marquette fans. I just do not see how a roster with so many untested players will play .500 ball in the BE. Setting a .500 level as disappointing is setting the bar very high.

There is no doubt that it will be challenging.  A rebuilding year is.  I just think that a lot of the programs in BEast are rebuilding or not as strong this year.  If Buzz did get a few guys that can play, we should be able to hold our own.  I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but if MU goes 7-11 I may be a little disappointed.

I think, from listening to the guys they are hungry.  And I believe they will be fast learners. 
We also have an experienced forward in Lazar who is used to stepping up and playing bigger than he is as well as a decent enough PG in Acker that knows what it's like (albeit only for a few games last year with significant minutes) to be in a highly volatile game with intense competition. 

Marquette84 made the allusion to the 05-06 team.  Why not?  They were picked to finished to low in the Big East, they hadn't been to the NCAA's since Final Four and the main core of the team was a few returners and three freshman that contributed greatly. 

I just think that we should expect a decent season, albeit frustrating one at times, instead of accepting a 12th place finish and then being "whoo hoo" if it's better.  I have faith in the kids and buzz to think that it is ok to be disappointed 7-11 season.  If it is below that, I'd definitely ask questions about the staff.

feedback