[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Question re NCAA rules  (Read 1606 times)

Logi4three

• Team Captain
Question re NCAA rules
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:37:40 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed and/or if it is more appropriate for superbar.  I saw a tweet a couple days ago about an assistant coach whose hiring was being delayed so that he would not be bound by the NCAA rules and could recruit in ways that a hired assistant could not.  I have also heard that VT was very slow to acknowledge Buzz's assistant coaches.  Just wondering if this may have been by design by Buzz to allow his eventual assistants to recruit for Buzz without being bound by NCAA rules.  Anyone know if this is common practice? 

I also saw a post saying that Diener cannot recruit off campus for MU.  Why is that? 

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Question re NCAA rules
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:37:10 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed and/or if it is more appropriate for superbar.  I saw a tweet a couple days ago about an assistant coach whose hiring was being delayed so that he would not be bound by the NCAA rules and could recruit in ways that a hired assistant could not.  I have also heard that VT was very slow to acknowledge Buzz's assistant coaches.  Just wondering if this may have been by design by Buzz to allow his eventual assistants to recruit for Buzz without being bound by NCAA rules.  Anyone know if this is common practice? 

I also saw a post saying that Diener cannot recruit off campus for MU.  Why is that? 

Regarding Diener, he is an alum, thus a booster.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:02:09 AM »
Regarding Diener, he is an alum, thus a booster.

If an alum is part of the coaching staff at his alma mater, he is not bound by the recruiting rules of a booster.  Diener is not allowed to recruit off campus because the NCAA has a limit of how many coaches can recruit off campus and Diener's new coaching position is one that can only recruit on campus. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 07:25:04 AM »
Buzz was bending the rules???????
No way--not him.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »
It's definitely by design and I believe it helped Buzz land Hill and Pierce. Temple did the same thing this summer with a delayed hiring of one of their assistants, whose name escapes me at the moment.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »

I don't know if it's common practice but, in the case of Memphis, if you're going to hire a prominent recruit's dad, there's no reason to actually hire him until you need coaches on campus in the fall.  This way, Dedric Lawson's dad can talk to all of Dedric's AAU teammates without a problem.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24615044/memphis-hiring-dedric-lawsons-father-would-seal-the-deal-for-commitment

VT's got something entirely different going on where they just officially hired Jamie McNeilly within the last week and Chew & McNeilly are working without contracts for whatever reason.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »

Most of this is people tweeting nonsense.

- Nothing wrong* with what Memphis is doing on this one (that's been publicly reported -- Pastner has pushed past the rules and played dumb before). * - "Nothing wrong" does not mean that it isn't worthy of a... "squirmy" comment.

- Buzz's assistants - non issue. They were brought over early on; assistants without a contract isn't unusual. There's not a loophole that would allow you to recruit for a school because you've delayed your employment. One thing you could do is go to certain events and watch kids play... not a big deal here. There are instances of HEAD COACHES who work for many months, even into the season, when "hired" before a contract is done. (See Groce at Illinois as a recent example of a nearby school.)

- College basketball programs can only have 4 guys recruiting off campus (for most, this means the head coach + the 3 "assistant coaches"). Diener is not an assistant coach and is not one of the 4 guys... therefore, he can't ever recruit off campus.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback