'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: providence  (Read 3753 times)

spartan3186

• All American
providence
« on: November 15, 2008, 10:05:41 PM »
Anyone else notice providence lost to northeastern tonight???

IrwinFletcher

• All American
Re: providence
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:26:59 PM »
That is not possible.  They interviewed alot of coaches and signed a guy who was the coach of the year last year.  ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:59:02 AM »
 ::)

Don't be surprised if they beat us in Providence this year.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:04:35 AM »
::)

Don't be surprised if they beat us in Providence this year.

It sounds like you got a little conflict of interest going into the Providence game this year.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:52:29 AM »
Don't worry about Davis-----he makes players think-----gives them a lot of detail early on, which makes them actually worse at first as they are not yet intuitive with the new things.

The true test of a coach is how well his team improves as the season goes on------how well do they play in Feb/March? My bet is that you will see Providence improve consistently as the seaosn goes on.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 09:54:10 AM »
Don't worry about Davis-----he makes players think-----gives them a lot of detail early on, which makes them actually worse at first as they are not yet intuitive with the new things.

The true test of a coach is how well his team improves as the season goes on------how well do they play in Feb/March? My bet is that you will see Providence improve consistently as the seaosn goes on.

Because this is exactly what we saw with his team at Drake last year.  ::)
http://kenpom.com/sked.php?y=2008&team=Drake&t=p

22-1 to start the year, then 3-3 to finish the season.  Can you say late season fold?

Seems to me you should be pointing out Davis' late season fold and predicting that PC will be fatigued when we face them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:39:21 AM »
It sounds like you got a little conflict of interest going into the Providence game this year.

?-(

Not really.  Road game, they're senior laden, they will be much more comfortable with their new coach's system by then.  All I said is don't be surprised if we lose to them.  We may kill them, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we lose to them either.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »
Because this is exactly what we saw with his team at Drake last year.  ::)
http://kenpom.com/sked.php?y=2008&team=Drake&t=p

22-1 to start the year, then 3-3 to finish the season.  Can you say late season fold?

Seems to me you should be pointing out Davis' late season fold and predicting that PC will be fatigued when we face them.

I check out SJS/84 link and find that Drake finished 5-2 (with both losses within 3 points)-----that doesn't look like a late season fold to me.

Always pays to check out SJS's links!

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 12:05:29 PM »
losses like this could be significant.  If the BE is really shooting for 9-10 teams in the NCAA the BE teams cannot be laying Non-Con eggs.  Same was true a couple of years ago when they were hyping the BE and then a bunch of the middle of the pack teams went out and lost laughers.  This could ultimately affect MU if we lose a game or two and are a bubble type team.  Hopefully that does not happen and we play to our preseason rank and it is other teams that end up sweating losses like this by other conferenc eteams

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »
I check out SJS/84 link and find that Drake finished 5-2 (with both losses within 3 points)-----that doesn't look like a late season fold to me.

Always pays to check out SJS's links!

What happened to starting with the first loss in Februrary?  Surely you haven't forgotten the several hundred posts you made declaring that we MUST start with the first loss in February when calculating a late season fade.

Davis team went 23-1 before the first loss in February (13-0 in conference play).  Just 6-4 beginning with the first loss in Feburary.  That collapse is as large as any that MU had over the years.

Davis' teams get better?  Not according to your formula.  Ooops. 

As for my link, you'll find that Drake finished the regular season 3-3 (exactly as I said).  And started out 22-1 (exactly as I said). 

I don't care if you want to compare my way (just regular season) or your way (begin with the first loss in February).  Either way Drake had a late season swoon.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »
And Murff, you want deep tournament runs?  Well Davis's Drake lost in the first round, as a 5 seed they were the favorites by a lot, and lost, late-season fold?

You blame coaches like Crean for losing 8-9 matchups, or 7-10 matchups... but support a coach who loses a 5-12 matchup, when they are the 5?  Doesn't make sense.

Regardless, we have Buzz Williams, and beat a team by over 30 when we were suppose to win by a lot.  Something Crean couldn't do at the beginning of the year.  We have 3 very good seniors, and Hayward who is the type of player we need at the 4 position.

To call a different team senior laden is fine, just realize that we are also stacked with seniors and upper-class men.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 03:01:28 PM »
Well Davis's Drake lost in the first round, as a 5 seed they were the favorites by a lot, and lost, late-season fold?

Drake were 4.0 point favorites in that game

http://www.madduxsports.com/2008-ncaa-tournament/drake-western-kentucky-preview.html

I agree, MU is a senior laden team as well.  Should be a good game at PU.

nola03

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 06:21:36 PM »
Regardless, we have Buzz Williams, and beat a team by over 30 when we were suppose to win by a lot.  Something Crean couldn't do at the beginning of the year. 

It's one thing to be in love with the Buzzsaw. Totally cool. Good reasons for that. It's another to prop him up by denigrating Crean and it's laughable when people are so off the mark when attempting to do so.

MU beat 5 non-conference teams just last season by 30 points. A 6th team they beat by 26 points. In fact, one of those wins (Oklahoma State) is arguably the finest regular season performance during Crean's tenure.

I understand you're overjoyed with Buzz but let's not rewrite history simply to make our new coach look better. It's not becoming.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »
Drake were 4.0 point favorites in that game

http://www.madduxsports.com/2008-ncaa-tournament/drake-western-kentucky-preview.html

I agree, MU is a senior laden team as well.  Should be a good game at PU.

I think they like to be called PC Chicos, but I like PU better  ;)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »
It's one thing to be in love with the Buzzsaw. Totally cool. Good reasons for that. It's another to prop him up by denigrating Crean and it's laughable when people are so off the mark when attempting to do so.

MU beat 5 non-conference teams just last season by 30 points. A 6th team they beat by 26 points. In fact, one of those wins (Oklahoma State) is arguably the finest regular season performance during Crean's tenure.

I understand you're overjoyed with Buzz but let's not rewrite history simply to make our new coach look better. It's not becoming.

Sorry, I didn't look back and go game by game.  But what I do remember is being taken to overtime by Idaho St a couple years ago.  Barely putting away Utah Valley St last year and being put to the test by IUPUI last year. 

Later in the non-conference schedule we get strong, but the previous years it just seems like we would come out of the gate very sluggish and not put teams away how we should have.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 07:12:26 PM »
What happened to starting with the first loss in Februrary?  Surely you haven't forgotten the several hundred posts you made declaring that we MUST start with the first loss in February when calculating a late season fade.

Davis team went 23-1 before the first loss in February (13-0 in conference play).  Just 6-4 beginning with the first loss in Feburary.  That collapse is as large as any that MU had over the years.

Davis' teams get better?  Not according to your formula.  Ooops. 

As for my link, you'll find that Drake finished the regular season 3-3 (exactly as I said).  And started out 22-1 (exactly as I said). 

I don't care if you want to compare my way (just regular season) or your way (begin with the first loss in February).  Either way Drake had a late season swoon.

Crean had a pattern of late season swoons----collectively he was 45 & 23 in January and 55 & 50 in Feb/march at MU-----now that's real swooning.

BTW-----I'll give Davis a pass on 5-2----after all he was named national coach of the year.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:19:08 PM by Murffieus »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 08:17:58 PM »
Crean had a pattern of late season swoons----

As I said, the Davis swoon last year was as bad as any year under Crean.   

Starting the year 22-1 while finishing 6-4 is a swoon--no other way to define it.   

***BTW-----I'll give Davis a pass on 5-2--

Correction--Davis was 6-4.  Caught you red handed trying to maniupulate data to make it sound better.

We all know that to determine if a team swooned, you start with the first loss in february. 

For Drake last year the first loss in February was 2/13 against SIU.  Starting with that game, they went 6-4 (not 5-2).  5-2 means you forgot to include the loss to SIU on 2/13, the win over UNI on 2/23, and loss to Bradley on 2/19.   

Bottom line--you overreached by claiming that Davis would have PC steadily improving.  Past history suggests the opposite. 

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 02:50:34 PM »
losses like this could be significant.  If the BE is really shooting for 9-10 teams in the NCAA the BE teams cannot be laying Non-Con eggs.  Same was true a couple of years ago when they were hyping the BE and then a bunch of the middle of the pack teams went out and lost laughers.  This could ultimately affect MU if we lose a game or two and are a bubble type team.  Hopefully that does not happen and we play to our preseason rank and it is other teams that end up sweating losses like this by other conferenc eteams

If you listen to the NCAA tournament committee you knwo they dont' care what conference each team is from and considering that in the Big East most peopel play each other only once. I think the loss has virtually no affect on how many teams get sent from the Big East. There is still a bevy of talent in the conference to take the place of a so-so providence team.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein