'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Player Intros  (Read 6173 times)

Moonboots

• Starter
Player Intros
« on: November 15, 2008, 01:48:13 AM »
First of all, I must say Wesley looked impressive against Houston Baptist, Jerel is basically what he thought he was, Lazar has turned "the big 3" into the big 4, and Jimmy Butler is a steal.  We're gonna need the bigs to play even bigger when conference season comes around, though.

But now for the reason for my post, something that doesn't have to do with the on-court events at all.  Is anyone else unhappy that they removed the U2 "Where The Streets Have No Name" player intros?  Way better than whatever it was they did tonight.  I hope it returns for conference season.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Re: Player Intros
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 02:36:38 AM »
I agree with everything.......the player intros were awful.  Yes, the video is cool...but nobody in the arena can understand what the players are saying............and it is wayyyyyyyy too long.   There was no buzz (no 'pun' intended) around the intros whatsoever.  I hope they bring back "Where the Streets Have No Name" or come up with something better.....the crowd was not into it at all and for big games that's an issue.  Everyone around me was saying the same thing.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 08:24:19 AM »

I agree that the new intros aren't that great, but the U2 into was really played.  And also very long.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 08:28:07 AM »
Agreed with everything .. the video is good, but way too hard to hear what they are saying.

I want to say .. several of the last years, the first/second/third game, they didn't have Where/Streets song playing, but they got it all going after a few games.  

Hopefully, this year won't be any different.  .. Maybe it's to get in-game video of each (new) player?

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »
Wish I could have heard Joe Fulces interview with Homer.
Bring back U2!
"We have the blues on the run!"

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 10:06:40 AM »
the song they first used after the video, right here right now, is a good one. they shouldn't have switched off of that to the slow hip hop beat that they did.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 10:48:34 AM »
Agreed with everything .. the video is good, but way too hard to hear what they are saying.

I want to say .. several of the last years, the first/second/third game, they didn't have Where/Streets song playing, but they got it all going after a few games.  

I'm not sure that's correct? If I remember correctly, there was never a player intro video for exhibition games, but U2 and the video always played for the season opener, and didn't change the rest of the year.

That makes me think this intro video will be used all year, but that's just speculation.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »
I thought the player intros when they were announced and took to the floor one-by-one was lacking hoopla.  No spotlights, or those fan-blown figures, or whatever - it was .....dull.  Buzz & Co. need to up the hype on this - for the fan''s sake and to get them involved more.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:46:30 PM by Daniel »

JSwarriors08

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 11:40:55 AM »
Jerel is basically what he thought he was

He is who we thought he was!!!

-PXILibero2 (aka Dennis Green)

Anyway, I loved the traditional intro.  It always got me choked up.  I hope they bring it back.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 11:46:49 AM »
I like the new video. I'd much rather have it then Diener slapping the basketball or Novak checking his watch against the Rockwell clock tower.

Remove the 'Drop it like it's hot" bass line throughout the intros though. It gives no excitement, bring back U2 or the "right now" song.

I also hate Thunderstruck unless it's the Thunderstruck drinking game. Can a brother get some "We Ready"?

Pray.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 11:51:47 AM »
He is who we thought he was!!!

-PXILibero2 (aka Dennis Green)

Crown his ass!!!

"We ready" has already been played out at NFL games past few years...
"We have the blues on the run!"

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 12:41:04 PM »
I'm not sure that's correct? If I remember correctly, there was never a player intro video for exhibition games, but U2 and the video always played for the season opener, and didn't change the rest of the year.

In the 2005-2006 season Memphis Bleak's "Like That" was used as the opening until Big East play started when it went back to "Where The Streets Have No Name".

Also if you can't hear what they are saying in the video, the words are posted on the wrap-around video board at the Bradley Center.  They are the words from the Converse Ad in ESPN the magazine last year.

Pray.

(Turns head 90 degrees)

Pray.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:43:04 PM by TallTitan34 »

JSwarriors08

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »
I guess I might be the only one thinking they should come in to a rousing sing-along rendition of Marc Cohn's Walking in Memphis?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 12:49:28 PM »
I like the new Converse intro.  And I got chills when the student section chanted "We Are Marquette" at the end of it.  I thought that was awesome.  To me, the U2 thing was a Crean thing...let's move on from that.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »
Then, "Let's go Warriors" should give you frostbite.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 02:28:03 PM »
I like the new Converse intro.  And I got chills when the student section chanted "We Are Marquette" at the end of it.  I thought that was awesome.  To me, the U2 thing was a Crean thing...let's move on from that.

Yeah, that was awesome. If they can get that timed properly, it'll come off fierce.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:31:14 PM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »
Yeah, I think that was it.  My neck is pretty sore from looking at the jumbotron from your seats. 8-)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 01:03:58 AM »
The need to switch it back. It was DEAD in there during the intros, which usually get some reaction even in the cupcake line.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 04:20:05 AM »
Missed the game, but pumped to see the new intro. I know the U2 intro is "tradition" but I vote to move on. Probably because I'm not a U2 fan, but whatever pumps up the players I'm all for.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 07:54:04 AM »
In that case, bring on their main squeezes. Guaranteed to pump them every time.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 03:21:39 PM »
I am all in favor of retaining U2. My freshman year we went to the Final Four, and I, MUfan12 and numerous other posters were regulars in 106. Got season tickets my first year out of school and rarely missed a game despite living in Chicago.

Then I had to give up my season tickets because I was going to law school in St. Louis. I made it back for one game last season. One game, all season, after making an average of 15 or so in the prior 5 years. When the lights went down and "Where the Streets Have No Name" came on, I am not ashamed to say I got a little choked up. And then we kicked the Irish's ass by 30.

SAVE U2!!!!
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 08:53:49 AM »
Didn't see the intro, but it was wayyyy  past time to lose the old one. Played, played, and played.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 09:01:33 AM »
The new intro wasnt great but I was so happy to see U2 go away.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 09:37:07 AM »
I guess I might be the only one thinking they should come in to a rousing sing-along rendition of Marc Cohn's Walking in Memphis?

Yes you are the only one. That almost rivals the call a few years back from some older alumns to have the team come out to a Bruce Springsteen song. I think it was called "The Rising" or something like that.
We Are Marquette

feedback