[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Can Rowsey and Howard play together?  (Read 2614 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] Can Rowsey and Howard play together?
« on: November 07, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »
Last season, Howard and Rowsey played 62 minutes together in the first 25 games and 119 in the last 7. Looking at the individual and team offensive numbers in those last 7 will tell us a lot more about 2018 than some full season stats. So I broke them down here: 

https://painttouches.com/2017/11/07/can-rowsey-and-howard-play-together/

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [Paint Touches] Can Rowsey and Howard play together?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »
One of my concerns is how Howard will play as a PG. He was really bad as far as point skills against Lindenwood. Too many turnovers, didn't anticipate the doubles, and by the end of the game it was Elliott and Cheatham initiating the offense even when Howard was on the floor.

I feel like Howard needs Rowsey out there, but it is worrisome how that can impact our defense. It's hard to challenge shots when two of your players are giving up 2-6 inches to opponents.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 04:03:02 AM »
Looks like Elliott is going to have plenty of chances this season to show what he can do at point, and how that goes may determine how much we need another one for next year.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 05:29:27 AM »
Last season, Howard and Rowsey played 62 minutes together in the first 25 games and 119 in the last 7. Looking at the individual and team offensive numbers in those last 7 will tell us a lot more about 2018 than some full season stats. So I broke them down here: 

https://painttouches.com/2017/11/07/can-rowsey-and-howard-play-together/

This is awesome

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:14 AM »
If our defense is like last year, we are in for a long season. I will follow the team this season not so much concerned with Ws or Ls but how the guys improve as players. We only lose Rowsey and with the addition of Joey, Morrow and Baily we should have a competitive team next year.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 08:07:22 AM »
If Howard and Rowsey don't play together, where is the offense?  Howard, Rowsey, and Hauser are our core scorers.  Cheatham, Anim, Heldt, and John are the supporting cast.  Add Froling when he's eligible.  Elliot is probably the back of the rotation with a chance to expand his role as the season goes on.  Looks like a developmental year for Cain and Eke, with the latter a redshirt candidate.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »
Great write up as always. Like USC and Lindenwood, we can expect pressure. Cheatham may be key in breaking the press and forcing the action as the seam player this year. Critical that he reduces his turnover rate.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »
If Howard and Rowsey don't play together, where is the offense?  Howard, Rowsey, and Hauser are our core scorers.  Cheatham, Anim, Heldt, and John are the supporting cast.  Add Froling when he's eligible.  Elliot is probably the back of the rotation with a chance to expand his role as the season goes on.  Looks like a developmental year for Cain and Eke, with the latter a redshirt candidate.

Cheatham has shown the ability to pop off some decent scoring previously
Maigh Eo for Sam

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »
One of my concerns is how Howard will play as a PG. He was really bad as far as point skills against Lindenwood. Too many turnovers, didn't anticipate the doubles, and by the end of the game it was Elliott and Cheatham initiating the offense even when Howard was on the floor.

I feel like Howard needs Rowsey out there, but it is worrisome how that can impact our defense. It's hard to challenge shots when two of your players are giving up 2-6 inches to opponents.

Yea, the length issue is worrisome in and of itself, add on the fact that neither is particularly adept at containing penetration, it's a bad mix. Ideally, having someone like Heldt/Froling/John who can contest at the rim without fouling will help improve the defense just by not being Luke. I loved him, but I would argue he was worse than Ox on D. (Luke was in the 11th% on D for post ups. So not only did he defend the pick and roll terribly, but he rarely stopped anyone at the rim.)

As for Howard at PG, he played lead guard most of the time last year. It's not like Duane or JJJ were initiating plays. He had an awful game against a D2 team, and he'll definitely see more pressure this year, but I don't think a 1 game sample means he's a liability at PG. He's better as a scoring guard, I'd argue, but he wasn't Cheatham-like at the 1.

One last thing, having Haanif or Sacar score in and around the paint off the bounce or on a slash will be crucial. When teams play Howard, Rowsey and Hauser tight on the perimeter, it will create space between the arc and the paint. MU has to make them pay. If neither can, (and without someone like Fisch to score down low) I think we'll see some ugly shooting games. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 09:17:50 AM »

I think you are going to see Rowsey initiating the offense quite a bit.  Just like last year.  I also think you will continue to see them struggle similar to how they did v. South Carolina. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 09:19:42 AM »

I think you are going to see Rowsey initiating the offense quite a bit.  Just like last year.  I also think you will continue to see them struggle similar to how they did v. South Carolina.
Depends on the opponent though.  SC gave every one trouble with its length in the NCAAs.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »

I expect Rowsey to initiate the offense, what worries me is teams upping their doubles and on ball pressure against Markus when they're not our there together.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback