[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Katy Perry referencing Jeffrey Dahmer  (Read 10360 times)

tower912

• All American
Katy Perry referencing Jeffrey Dahmer
« on: March 20, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »
http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/k/katy_perry/dark_horse.html

My college freshman daughter just texted me that my college years were now being used in a pop song.   I asked her what.    She told me that Katy Perry referenced Jeffrey Dahmer in her latest song.   My daughter remembered my description of his crimes, of the reaction among my recently graduated friends and I when we learned that he had been sharing the streets of Milwaukee with the serial killer.    So, I looked it up.   Even after nearly 25 years, it still seems tacky.   Maybe I am just getting old.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Katy Perry referencing Jeffrey Dahmer
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »
http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/k/katy_perry/dark_horse.html

My college freshman daughter just texted me that my college years were now being used in a pop song.   I asked her what.    She told me that Katy Perry referenced Jeffrey Dahmer in her latest song.   My daughter remembered my description of his crimes, of the reaction among my recently graduated friends and I when we learned that he had been sharing the streets of Milwaukee with the serial killer.    So, I looked it up.   Even after nearly 25 years, it still seems tacky.   Maybe I am just getting old.   

Katy does not do such a thing, but many have over the years.

Best one... X-Clan... Brother J... "I remember all the times that you called me an animal, but in Milwaukee there's a cannibal"
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »
Katy does not do such a thing, but many have over the years.

On the heels of releasing the official video for her song “Roar,” Katy Perry has released another single off her upcoming album, Prism — this time, “Dark Horse,” a track featuring Juicy J and a message in the lyrics about how her love “will make you levitate” because she’s a magical dark horse, you guys. True story.

Okay, so the song itself: If you were expecting something catchy or Sara Bareilles-sounding, like “Roar,” bad news — “Dark Horse” is not any of those things. Instead, it’s got a sort of hazy, slower feel, probably to supplement lyrics like this one: “So you wanna play with magic/ Boy, you should know whatcha falling for/ Baby do you dare to do this/ ‘Cause I’m coming atcha like a dark horse.” Songs about magic and darkness and being dark horses aren’t supposed to be happy upbeat pop anthems, so it makes sense.

The song also features Juicy J, who starts off the track by announcing who we’re all listening to — Katy Perry, in case you didn’t know or something — and then raps a verse that includes the following lines: “She’s a beast/ I call her karma/ She’ll eat your heart out like Jeffrey Dahmer.” Now, I’m not On the heels of releasing the official video for her song “Roar,” Katy Perry has released another single off her upcoming album, Prism — this time, “Dark Horse,” a track featuring Juicy J and a message in the lyrics about how her love “will make you levitate” because she’s a magical dark horse, you guys. True story.

Okay, so the song itself: If you were expecting something catchy or Sara Bareilles-sounding, like “Roar,” bad news — “Dark Horse” is not any of those things. Instead, it’s got a sort of hazy, slower feel, probably to supplement lyrics like this one: “So you wanna play with magic/ Boy, you should know whatcha falling for/ Baby do you dare to do this/ ‘Cause I’m coming atcha like a dark horse.” Songs about magic and darkness and being dark horses aren’t supposed to be happy upbeat pop anthems, so it makes sense.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:37:29 PM by mr.MUskie »

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »
Yea, Juicy J has that line, not Katy, although I am sure she had veto power.

Honestly, as a fan of hiphop, i was offended not because of the content of his verse but rather because his technical ability is garbage

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »
Yea, Juicy J has that line, not Katy, although I am sure she had veto power.

Honestly, as a fan of hiphop, i was offended not because of the content of his verse but rather because his technical ability is garbage

That verse sucks, but if you're a hip hop fan and didn't appreciate earlier Three 6 Mafia, not sure what to say.  He held his own just fine back then.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:37 PM »
Dude's rhyming is awful. Just horrendous.

Great pop track though.

Maybe Katy will talk about Dahmer someday, but she doesn't in this song.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 01:07:22 AM »
There was another song recently that mentioned Dahmer as well. Cant remember the name of the song but for some reason Dahmer has made a comeback. The first thing we do for SSP training is whoever is supervising that night picks up the trainee from their safety patrol training and brings them to the Dahmer lot.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 10:13:06 AM »
That verse sucks, but if you're a hip hop fan and didn't appreciate earlier Three 6 Mafia, not sure what to say.  He held his own just fine back then.

I should have been more clear- that particular verse is garbage but i don't think all of his stuff is garbage. Personally, I had a hard time getting into southern rap, although there were notable exceptions (e.g., outkast, killer mike, ugk) and i could still respect a lot of the stuff that i didn't like (e.g., early lil wayne, TI). 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 10:21:23 AM »
On the heels of releasing the official video for her song “Roar,” Katy Perry has released another single off her upcoming album, Prism — this time, “Dark Horse,” a track featuring Juicy J and a message in the lyrics about how her love “will make you levitate” because she’s a magical dark horse, you guys. True story.

The song also features Juicy J, who starts off the track by announcing who we’re all listening to — Katy Perry, in case you didn’t know or something — and then raps a verse that includes the following lines: “She’s a beast/ I call her karma/ She’ll eat your heart out like Jeffrey Dahmer.” Now, I’m not On the heels of releasing the official video for her song “Roar,” Katy Perry has released another single off her upcoming album, Prism — this time, “Dark Horse,” a track featuring Juicy J and a message in the lyrics about how her love “will make you levitate” because she’s a magical dark horse, you guys. True story.

That whole song, and quite frankly album, sucks. 
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
That whole song, and quite frankly album, sucks. 

Love Darkhorse. Super catchy.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »
Love Darkhorse. Super catchy.

Yep. Fantastic pop song.

I saw Scarface and Big Mike at the Mecca years ago. Fresh.

One of the best Houston groups over the years outside of Geto Boys?.... K-Otix.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
I like that song.  Not even embarrassed to say, unlike many others.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 03:32:53 PM »
Song is catchy. Max Martin was one of the (many) writers.

You have probably heard an insane amount of his music with out realizing it.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/max-martin-powerful-person-music-business-people-never-even-head-name/

Songwriting & Production discography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Martin_production_discography

feedback