collapse

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1130669 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3175 on: April 05, 2020, 12:00:29 AM »

One easy solution - instead of waffling whenever asked about states that haven’t yet implemented stay at home orders - he could strongly and consistently call out every holdout, pointing out that we are all in this together and need to do what the public health experts are recommending. Consistent, unifying, and supported by what scientists currently know about the virus.

If he repeated that mantra sincerely and consistently, we would have the ability to fight the pandemic in a unified way.

In all honesty and sincerity though, in thinking about this for some time now, wouldn't we have been better off to have states with major infections(Like New York), be on lock down like they currently are and the states that don't have so many(like say North Dakota) not be on lock down BUT not allow them to leave the state?? You can control that too, you have "border" patrols. Isn't that in effect a way to control the spread. That way at worst you're containing it to just people in the state and in effect, "slowing the spread"??

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily have a problem with the "shelter in place orders" as I 100% understand why it needs to be done, but I also think the way I described above would also be effective, wouldn't it??

One thing that is obvious with all of this, and it makes total sense, but the bigger cities are the one's most affected, where there's so many people basically on top of each other and that makes total sense why it would be that way.

For example, the county where i live is rural, and we have had under 20 positive cases here.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3176 on: April 05, 2020, 12:03:52 AM »

Every leader has made mistakes, but this isn’t one of them.

It is up to individual doctors - not politicians - to decide whether to prescribe off-label use of medications that are approved for other conditions. I suspect most docs aren’t doing this because the scientific data is lacking, but you would have to ask them.

But this IS a mistake made by Cuomo...Because of an executive order issued by the Democratic governor, any new prescriptions for hydroxychloroquine must go through the already overrun hospital system. This makes no sense.

And...Doctors DO want to prescribe it...

I live on Long Island and many doctors are telling me that they want to prescribe this medication to their patients who test positive for COVID-19 – the disease caused by the coronavirus – but do NOT need the patient to come to a hospital. However, Cuomo’s executive order forbids pharmacies from filling the prescriptions.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3177 on: April 05, 2020, 12:11:00 AM »
But this IS a mistake made by Cuomo...Because of an executive order issued by the Democratic governor, any new prescriptions for hydroxychloroquine must go through the already overrun hospital system. This makes no sense.

I live on Long Island and many doctors are telling me that they want to prescribe this medication to their patients who test positive for COVID-19 – the disease caused by the coronavirus – but do NOT need the patient to come to a hospital. However, Cuomo’s executive order forbids pharmacies from filling the prescriptions.

Hospitals have pharmacies too, so Cuomo's order does not forbid it. It simply mandates a more centralized and controllable means of distribution in a time of crisis.

And that centralized and controllable mechanism makes sense, since the drugs have very significant side effects that are currently undergoing further study. https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-28/risks-of-using-malaria-drugs-off-label-to-treat-covid-19
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:30:30 AM by GooooMarquette »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3178 on: April 05, 2020, 12:23:17 AM »
In all honesty and sincerity though, in thinking about this for some time now, wouldn't we have been better off to have states with major infections(Like New York), be on lock down like they currently are and the states that don't have so many(like say North Dakota) not be on lock down BUT not allow them to leave the state?? You can control that too, you have "border" patrols. Isn't that in effect a way to control the spread. That way at worst you're containing it to just people in the state and in effect, "slowing the spread"??

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily have a problem with the "shelter in place orders" as I 100% understand why it needs to be done, but I also think the way I described above would also be effective, wouldn't it??

One thing that is obvious with all of this, and it makes total sense, but the bigger cities are the one's most affected, where there's so many people basically on top of each other and that makes total sense why it would be that way.

For example, the county where i live is rural, and we have had under 20 positive cases here.

Looking at raw numbers is misleading. IA, AR, ND and SD actually have more cases per capita than states like KY, WV and MN (which have stay at home orders). So people in those states are living under a false sense of security if they think they are “safe” to go out. Likewise for rural areas. The highest per capita rate here in MN is a rural county with only 32 cases. Sounds pretty innocuous, but it’s actually a lot for a small rural county.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3179 on: April 05, 2020, 12:26:06 AM »
Your right, and fortunately there's just enough people that aren't complete idiots that we SAVED this country from being run by someone who would have absolutely been the worst President we have ever had by a wide margin, and that's saying something since we have had Carter and Obama. Then again, you probably thought she was an outstanding candidate. MY GOD

Maybe if you can ever get over your far left wing agenda, you'd be able to understand that.

You truly are a fool. Flooding this thread with post after post only verified it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3180 on: April 05, 2020, 12:32:32 AM »

Your quote was pulled from a Sean Hannity article with zero sources.

Please find me information that supports the assertion that MDs in the field WANT to give this medication to low-risk/non-hospitalized patients.

Why do you find it hard to listen to/follow the advice of experts within the field of infectious disease/epidemiology/etc when it comes to a pandemic?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:36:24 AM by jesmu84 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3181 on: April 05, 2020, 12:43:07 AM »
What you are doing is exactly what you are criticizing him for, being partisan during a time when We should be uniting like post 911, which lasted all of about a day and a half btw. 

After reading hundreds of even handed, straight down the middle posts on Scoop, I sense that you and others here are yearning for the end to partisanship. So sad that Donald Trump won’t let you. I love ya, Gooo, but c’mon. Not your fault that the President is lacking in self awareness, but that’s no excuse for losing yours.

And I love you, Lenny and rocket.

But the difference here, of course, is that Goooooooo and the rest of us, regardless of ideology, are a bunch of anonymous interwebs mopes ... while the other guy is the most powerful man in the world.

What Gooooo and Lenny and rocket and I say means bupkis ... what the most powerful man in the world says means everything. If any of us "lack self awareness," shrug; if the most powerful man in the world does, it matters.

So when guru goes on one of his barely intelligible, hyper-partisan, my-side-is-right-and-everybody-else-is-wrong rants, who cares? But when the president of the United States says that Democratic governors have to "appreciate" him more if they want the U.S. citizens who live in their states to have access to life-saving equipment; or when he blames the opposition party for things that he actually had control of; or when he calls everybody who disagrees with him the "enemy," I think it matters a little bit more.

And I like to think you do, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3182 on: April 05, 2020, 12:58:18 AM »
Your right, and fortunately there's just enough people that aren't complete idiots that we SAVED this country from being run by someone who would have absolutely been the worst President we have ever had by a wide margin, and that's saying something since we have had Carter and Obama. Then again, you probably thought she was an outstanding candidate. MY GOD

Maybe if you can ever get over your far left wing agenda, you'd be able to understand that.

There are 10s of thousands of deaths on the hands of this administration that could’ve been prevented if we had even remote competence currently leading the country. And our economy is heading to places worse than it was during the Great Depression. Hard to do worse than that.

I remember when other countries looked to America for leadership in times of crisis. What country in their right mind would turn to the United States of America for help in fighting what the world is going through right now? Truly Making America Great Again.

But hey at least when the weather warms up this whole covid thing will miraculously disappear, the cases in America will be at nearly zero, and our country will be back open for business by next Sunday.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:02:39 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3183 on: April 05, 2020, 01:09:34 AM »

So when guru goes on one of his barely intelligible, hyper-partisan, my-side-is-right-and-everybody-else-is-wrong rants, who cares? But when the president of the United States says that Democratic governors have to "appreciate" him more if they want the U.S. citizens who live in their states to have access to life-saving equipment; or when he blames the opposition party for things that he actually had control of; or when he calls everybody who disagrees with him the "enemy," I think it matters a little bit more.

Do you and your mod-deleted posts next.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3184 on: April 05, 2020, 05:07:04 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:37:04 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #3185 on: April 05, 2020, 05:07:49 AM »
Nm.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 05:32:08 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #3186 on: April 05, 2020, 05:49:53 AM »
Guys:

Since the inception of this thread, I estimate 90% of the posts have been good information or discourse on options, 8% non-partisan criticism of various actions or recommended actions, and 2% partisan.

That has flipped in the last 12 hours.

Let's start out Palm Sunday by getting back to where this thread started.

And for MU82, let's start out National Deep Dish Pizza Day by getting back to where this thread started.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 05:59:48 AM by Archies Bat »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3188 on: April 05, 2020, 06:53:56 AM »
Sweden taking a different approach.  Is the PM going for a herd immunity approach?  He suggests that any shutdown cannot be sustained.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-sweden-idUSKBN21L23R

Sweden is rethinking their strategy.  Sounds like UK 3 weeks ago

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-04/sweden-girds-for-thousands-of-deaths-amid-laxer-virus-response

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:08:06 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

• All American
« Reply #3190 on: April 05, 2020, 08:36:37 AM »

It would be effective, but incredibly difficult to enforce.  Furthermore, the essential parts of our economy that have to keep running during this time have to cross state lines.  For example, Wisconsin "exports" dairy products to other states.  That has to be done by truck.

I was talking to someone months ago about the gasoline distribution business.  He told me that supplying the daily gasoline needs for the state requires contant shipping and trucking from refineries located elsewhere.

State borders have never been meant to be treated like national borders.

And if you look at the article that Frenns linked above, you can see why partial shutdowns just don't work.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:38:13 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3191 on: April 05, 2020, 08:45:10 AM »
I don't get this at all...why would you NOT want to TRY to help your own people?? There is really ZERO to lose.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/sean-hannity-gov-cuomo-stop-denying-new-yorkers-hydroxychloroquine
Says the guy who thinks we should pump unproven vaccines into billions of people...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3192 on: April 05, 2020, 08:46:51 AM »
It amazes me how truly uninformed people are about things..talk to people and they say "well that's what i heard on the news" so they believe it.
Says the guy who posts fox news link after fox news link...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3193 on: April 05, 2020, 09:16:52 AM »
Says the guy who thinks we should pump unproven vaccines into billions of people...

If you or a loved one has little to no chance of survival from Covid-19, but this COULD possibly save your life...you're not going to take it?? I call BS if you say you wouldn't. I'm not talking about giving this to people with mild symptoms. I'm talking about giving this to people who's outcomes are otherwise grim. At that point, what is there to lose??

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3194 on: April 05, 2020, 09:18:40 AM »
This thread has went sideways in a lot of ways, but at the very least, can we stop calling the stimulus a “corporate” bailout. 25% of the funds were directed to large corporations at a max.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3195 on: April 05, 2020, 09:19:45 AM »

It would be effective, but incredibly difficult to enforce. Furthermore, the essential parts of our economy that have to keep running during this time have to cross state lines.  For example, Wisconsin "exports" dairy products to other states.  That has to be done by truck.

I was talking to someone months ago about the gasoline distribution business.  He told me that supplying the daily gasoline needs for the state requires contant shipping and trucking from refineries located elsewhere.

State borders have never been meant to be treated like national borders.

And if you look at the article that Frenns linked above, you can see why partial shutdowns just don't work.

No I understand this part of it, and that has to happen(I mean we do it now)...obviously essential workers like that could leave the state. I'm talking about keeping your average Joe from just taking an unnecessary trip into another state for no real reason other than "just because".

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3196 on: April 05, 2020, 09:21:53 AM »
Do you want this thread to be locked?

Because this is how you get threads locked.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3197 on: April 05, 2020, 09:23:22 AM »
Guys:

Since the inception of this thread, I estimate 90% of the posts have been good information or discourse on options, 8% non-partisan criticism of various actions or recommended actions, and 2% partisan.

That has flipped in the last 12 hours.

Let's start out Palm Sunday by getting back to where this thread started.

And for MU82, let's start out National Deep Dish Pizza Day by getting back to where this thread started.

I wish I could have a good deep dish pizza. Here in Charlotte, it's mostly a pizza wasteland, and certainly devoid of deep dish pizza.

I gave myself a 4-day timeout from this thread. I returned last night to see multiple ultra-partisan, hate-filled, screaming rants by one Scooper -- worse posts than anything I had seen from Scoopers on either side of the aisle in a long, long time.

I agree with you that we should discuss the topic at hand. Here in NC, it's just getting exponentially worse and worse. Every day, more sickness and death than the day before.

It's also getting worse in our neighboring state, Georgia, but the governor there just signed an executive order RE-opening the state's beaches. He did so against the wishes of the mayors of several beach-side towns. This is the same guy who didn't know until a few days ago that asymptomatic people could transmit COVID-19. Ignorance is bliss ... as long as you don't mind people dying.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3198 on: April 05, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »
I wish I could have a good deep dish pizza. Here in Charlotte, it's mostly a pizza wasteland, and certainly devoid of deep dish pizza.

Go to the America's Test Kitchen recipe for deep dish or Chicago style pizza. Fantastic. Pretty dang easy (but a little time consuming).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3199 on: April 05, 2020, 10:02:34 AM »
If you or a loved one has little to no chance of survival from Covid-19, but this COULD possibly save your life...you're not going to take it?? I call BS if you say you wouldn't. I'm not talking about giving this to people with mild symptoms. I'm talking about giving this to people who's outcomes are otherwise grim. At that point, what is there to lose??

With all due respect, last night you complained because NY docs could prescribe the drug only through a hospital pharmacy. But if you really are only "talking about giving this to people who's [sic] outcomes are otherwise grim", then the NY Gov's order gives you exactly what you want...because those patients will be the exact ones who are already in the hospital.

Glad we came to the point of solving your concern simply through a closer examination of what you want, and what Cuomo did.

feedback