[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129330 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2425 on: March 26, 2020, 02:23:26 PM »
Mexico to the US: Stay out of our country!

Mexican protesters have shut a US southern border crossing amid fears that untested American travellers will spread coronavirus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexicans-demand-crackdown-americans-crossing-154146270.html

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2426 on: March 26, 2020, 02:27:25 PM »
Mexico really isn't one to talk here. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2427 on: March 26, 2020, 03:20:23 PM »
People are dying. Lots of people. And it is going to get way worse.

And yet: “If you bought clothing before all this happened, if you want to return it, are stores gonna waive that 30-day period where you can get your money back?” Airhardt wondered. “This not a priority, but women have to get their hair done. I saw someone tweet out, you’re going to see what color our real hair is, because our roots are going to grow in. All my friends are saying — this is not a priority, people are dying, and I realize that — that they can’t get their nails done.”

This is actually said - OUT LOUD on State TV. It's not enough to ask people to just die and get it over with (which they are also asking for on Fox), now we have to worry how brain dead socialites are going to survive the abuse they will receive when they can't get their hair and nails done.

What kind of human being would continue to watch this station after this? That is not a rhetorical question. I mean what kind of person would continue to watch this station?

We have many here. Please, give me an answer.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2428 on: March 26, 2020, 03:34:31 PM »

And yet: “If you bought clothing before all this happened, if you want to return it, are stores gonna waive that 30-day period where you can get your money back?” Airhardt wondered. “This not a priority, but women have to get their hair done. I saw someone tweet out, you’re going to see what color our real hair is, because our roots are going to grow in. All my friends are saying — this is not a priority, people are dying, and I realize that — that they can’t get their nails done.”

This is actually said - OUT LOUD on State TV. It's not enough to ask people to just die and get it over with (which they are also asking for on Fox), now we have to worry how brain dead socialites are going to survive the abuse they will receive when they can't get their hair and nails done.

What kind of human being would continue to watch this station after this? That is not a rhetorical question. I mean what kind of person would continue to watch this station?

I have never watched, but to give them the benefit of the doubt...the stress of this situation seems to be bringing out both the best and the worst in us.

On the plus side, direct interactions (i.e., on walks, at a safe distance of course) often end with a sincere “stay safe” or other sentiment.

On the minus, stress often brings out more confrontational, argumentative behavior. I know that I have (often to my later regret) gotten further into arguments right here on Scoop than I normally might. (By the way, I’m sorry.) Anyhow, maybe making light of covid is another way people cope with the stress.

Like I said, I have never watched, so I could be wrong.

Oh, and stay safe all!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2429 on: March 26, 2020, 03:42:23 PM »

What the fu*k does this have to do with anything adult related?  Grow up.  Plenty of sh!t takes on both sides.  We dont have to transcribe every one of them.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2430 on: March 26, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »

I have never watched, but to give them the benefit of the doubt...the stress of this situation seems to be bringing out both the best and the worst in us.

On the plus side, direct interactions (i.e., on walks, at a safe distance of course) often end with a sincere “stay safe” or other sentiment.

On the minus, stress often brings out more confrontational, argumentative behavior. I know that I have (often to my later regret) gotten further into arguments right here on Scoop than I normally might. (By the way, I’m sorry.) Anyhow, maybe making light of covid is another way people cope with the stress.

Like I said, I have never watched, so I could be wrong.

Oh, and stay safe all!

Someone said something to that effect to me yesterday -- people do odd things when they are scared.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2431 on: March 26, 2020, 04:02:16 PM »
What the fu*k does this have to do with anything adult related?  Grow up.  Plenty of sh!t takes on both sides.  We dont have to transcribe every one of them.

Come on, this is America 2020, you cant just disagree with someone's politics or preferences anymore. You have to demean them and question the intelligence of them, cause only one side is ever wrong and dumb

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2432 on: March 26, 2020, 04:13:38 PM »
Union finds supplier with 39 million n95 masks on hand and another who can make 20 million a week.
Wonder why no government seemed to be aware of these.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nidhiprakash/seiu-uhw-masks-coronavirus-ppe

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2433 on: March 26, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
Well weve done it. Usa #1 again.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2434 on: March 26, 2020, 04:22:55 PM »
Someone said something to that effect to me yesterday -- people do odd things when they are scared.

Like buying a crap ton of toilet paper.  I still haven't figured out what that is all about.  If a crisis was coming, it would be pretty damn far down on the list of stuff I would hoard. I can improvise if there's no TP.  I can't improvise food so well.

Is this related to the fact that they don't put out the Sears catalog anymore?
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2435 on: March 26, 2020, 04:24:41 PM »
Union finds supplier with 39 million n95 masks on hand and another who can make 20 million a week.
Wonder why no government seemed to be aware of these.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nidhiprakash/seiu-uhw-masks-coronavirus-ppe

I've quoted four times this week companies looking for aluminum flat wire, a.k.a nose wire, for the masks.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2436 on: March 26, 2020, 04:25:09 PM »
Like buying a crap ton of toilet paper.  I still haven't figured out what that is all about.  If a crisis was coming, it would be pretty damn far down on the list of stuff I would hoard. I can improvise if there's no TP.  I can't improvise food so well.

Is this related to the fact that they don't put out the Sears catalog anymore?

Totally.  I just did a grocery stock-up and can report people are now stocking up on the things they need as evidenced by the slim pickings with soup, eggs, flour, and frozen pizzas.  Plenty to shop, but you can tell people are now going for the important stuff.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2437 on: March 26, 2020, 04:25:37 PM »

On a positive note, forgetful's death rate is already cut in half.
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2438 on: March 26, 2020, 04:27:27 PM »

Clearly you've never read "Alive."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2439 on: March 26, 2020, 04:28:22 PM »

Jeff D. of Milwaukee would disagree.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2440 on: March 26, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »

You have to wait until late tonight.   NYC posts at the end of the day along with WA.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2441 on: March 26, 2020, 04:34:36 PM »

I have indeed.  I said "so well".
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2442 on: March 26, 2020, 04:41:37 PM »

Wow. And over 13,000 new cases just since yesterday. We'll probably pass 100,000 by tomorrow...

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2443 on: March 26, 2020, 04:48:11 PM »

Hopefully, but I think at this point in time yesterday it was about the same number. I think it goes up.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2444 on: March 26, 2020, 04:50:04 PM »

Now that you mention it, JSglow hasn't posted in a while...

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2445 on: March 26, 2020, 04:54:07 PM »
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention, but Neil Ferguson of Imperial College, has changed his projected outcomes for the UK, factoring in the effects of recent lockdown measures. He's dropping his estimates from 500K dead in the UK to 20K or less.

"He said that expected increases in National Health Service capacity and ongoing restrictions to people’s movements make him “reasonably confident” the health service can cope when the predicted peak of the epidemic arrives in two or three weeks. UK deaths from the disease are now unlikely to exceed 20,000, he said, and could be much lower."

The earlier Imperial College paper seemed to be pretty highly regarded when it was released. I'm not sure how to digest the significant change here. Is the quality of one or both of these models suspect? Maybe the original had limited mitigation measures accounted for?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:04:36 PM by skianth16 »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2446 on: March 26, 2020, 06:10:54 PM »
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention, but Neil Ferguson of Imperial College, has changed his projected outcomes for the UK, factoring in the effects of recent lockdown measures. He's dropping his estimates from 500K dead in the UK to 20K or less.

"He said that expected increases in National Health Service capacity and ongoing restrictions to people’s movements make him “reasonably confident” the health service can cope when the predicted peak of the epidemic arrives in two or three weeks. UK deaths from the disease are now unlikely to exceed 20,000, he said, and could be much lower."

The earlier Imperial College paper seemed to be pretty highly regarded when it was released. I'm not sure how to digest the significant change here. Is the quality of one or both of these models suspect? Maybe the original had limited mitigation measures accounted for?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/

Its good news, that doesn't get eyeballs or clicks.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2447 on: March 26, 2020, 06:23:03 PM »
It's going to get worse.

New Rochelle went into lockdown two weeks ago and NYC still is seeing its numbers go up.  The irresponsible spring breakers and the people who didn't close the beaches while they could are going to see the results of their decisions come to fruition in the next 7-10 days.

Anyone who thinks we are going to be able to start things back up again by Easter is kidding themselves.

Well Governor Cuomo(who just a few days ago was trending on twitter and being lauded by millions for how he has handled this) disagrees. Says the stay at home order and closing businesses in NY was probably not the best public health strategy. Also said there is a NEED for both public health and economic growth and we CAN do both. Yet, the President was absolutely getting blasted for saying this..again, to think people don't have agendas because of their hatred for this president is a flat out lie. Where isr the outrage over these comments from Cuomo?? Who many bow down to?? All I hear is crickets all of a sudden.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuomo-closing-all-businesses-keeping-everyone-home-not-best-public-health-strategy

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2448 on: March 26, 2020, 06:25:26 PM »
Guru Why don’t you start a thread to argue about this. I actually think if you talk to folks about what ‘reopen’ means or doesn’t mean, you would find there is a lot of common ground

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2449 on: March 26, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »

This is great news.