[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recommendations for Return to Campus  (Read 7902 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Recommendations for Return to Campus
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2024, 10:00:00 AM »
One of the downsides of Marquette's campus though is that it doesn't have a singular "look." Every building looks like it was designed independent of the rest. You see that often at public institutions, but private ones usually try to have sort of consistency. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2024, 10:08:00 AM »
One of the downsides of Marquette's campus though is that it doesn't have a singular "look." Every building looks like it was designed independent of the rest. You see that often at public institutions, but private ones usually try to have sort of consistency.

They have actually been working towards that singular look.  Cudahy was the last building that didn't draw from Marquette Hall as a theme.  It's not like they are going to tear down perfectly good buildings because they don't "match". 

Any university that is 140 years old is going to have some diversity in architectural style.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 10:09:36 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2024, 10:10:03 AM »
Of course not. And really the most important thing is that the buildings are functional. But even when I went through campus last year, it seemed odd to me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 02, 2024, 10:16:32 AM »
I believe it is for the non-basketball athletes. Although, I thought I saw on my season tickets pamphlet this year an opportunity to donate to a second phase that would include basketball.

The new men's basketball facility will be adjoining but the current one is primarily for LAX and golf.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2024, 10:36:52 AM »
They have actually been working towards that singular look.  Cudahy was the last building that didn't draw from Marquette Hall as a theme.  It's not like they are going to tear down perfectly good buildings because they don't "match". 

Any university that is 140 years old is going to have some diversity in architectural style.

The style of the stone is very different than the brick buildings, but the front of Cudahy has two "towers" that seem clearly inspired by the bell tower next door. I thought the design of the new engineering building was a very creative modern reflection of MU Hall. I don't really see the how MU Hall is reflected in the new business school. I'm not disagreeing with you...but can you point it out for me? Perhaps the color of the bricks?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 02, 2024, 02:21:47 PM »
Question about campus athletic facilities:  I was surprised to notice a really nice weight room in the facility that is across the street from the Al. Is that where the athletes work out? Specifically basketball? I always assumed that the Al housed those types of facilities for the athletes.

Technically it is the home of lacrosse and golf. However, sometimes other teams use it too. The Old Gym is the home of track, cross country, tennis and soccer. But they sometimes use the other facility too.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 06:56:12 PM by shoothoops »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2024, 08:24:08 AM »

That has been a rap on Marquette since the 1960s.

It ain't what's on the outside. It's what's on the inside.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2024, 10:08:47 AM »
The style of the stone is very different than the brick buildings, but the front of Cudahy has two "towers" that seem clearly inspired by the bell tower next door. I thought the design of the new engineering building was a very creative modern reflection of MU Hall. I don't really see the how MU Hall is reflected in the new business school. I'm not disagreeing with you...but can you point it out for me? Perhaps the color of the bricks?

The new Business building is a mixture of the traditional brick and modern glass design. The new Nursing school (old Business) and Health & Recreation buildings will match that style.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2024, 10:19:08 AM »

It seems like they were doing that for a while, and it was working. You can see some architectural unity from the buildings built during the first decade of the 2000s (Raynor, Al McGuire Center, Dental School, Law School), but the newer buildings are getting away from that look....The business school doesn't have that style at all. It is just super boxy with lots of glass. And the Straz Hall reno is a decidedly different style from the buildings built in 2002-2008ish.  I am not a fan of the change.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 10:29:38 AM by Coleman »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2024, 10:23:14 AM »
It seems like they were doing that for a while, and it was working (Raynor, Al McGuire Center, Dental School), but the newer buildings are getting away from that look....The business school doesn't have that style at all. It is just super boxy with lots of glass.

Agreed. The AHPR and PA School building definitely went away from that model.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2024, 10:30:18 AM »
Agreed. The AHPR and PA School building definitely went away from that model.

Yep, those too.

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2024, 11:24:10 AM »
Wondering if its because they are no longer using Opus.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2024, 10:08:06 AM »
Wondering if its because they are no longer using Opus.

Didn't know that was the case. Do you know why? I thought MU and Opus were very tight...Our College of Engineering is named after them?

The architecture has definitely taken a huge step down. I think we will look back at these buildings as eyesores in 30 years, while Raynor, Eckstein Hall, et. al will still look nice.  C'est la vie.

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2024, 10:13:57 AM »
Didn't know that was the case. Do you know why? I thought MU and Opus were very tight...Our College of Engineering is named after them?

The architecture has definitely taken a huge step down. I think we will look back at these buildings as eyesores in 30 years, while Raynor, Eckstein Hall, et. al will still look nice.  C'est la vie.

It was designed by Workshop and built by Findorff.

Why? Maybe a change in leadership at Opus. (I believe there was an alumni connection there at one point.) Maybe the BOT decided to bid out all building projects. Maybe a dissatisfaction by either party. It could be all sorts of reasons.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2024, 01:10:06 PM »

Maybe the BOT decided to bid out all building projects.

Let's hope they have always done this.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2024, 01:18:47 PM »
Let's hope they have always done this.

If they have used one firm for as long as they have, my guess is that they prioritized the working relationships and consistency over what could be incremental price savings. So they either didn't bid everything, or maybe they bid them out and went with Opus unless it was outrageously different than the others. But a lot of private schools will stick with one contractor.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2024, 01:59:50 PM »
If they have used one firm for as long as they have, my guess is that they prioritized the working relationships and consistency over what could be incremental price savings. So they either didn't bid everything, or maybe they bid them out and went with Opus unless it was outrageously different than the others. But a lot of private schools will stick with one contractor.

Also, a lot of these buildings were built were in spurts...like the Dental School, Raynor, and the Al (I believe) were all part of one big fundraising campaign. They might have put out all of those to bid at the same time and picked one firm to design them all.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2024, 03:29:56 PM »
I think a lot of the new designs are built for environmental and sustainability standards.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2024, 03:29:17 PM »
Opus isn’t quite the company they used to be. Rauenhorst passed and the Marquette stewardship left the building. They are more focused on commercial developments and real estate at this point.

They weren’t given blank checks by any means from Marquette, but Gerry ensured the profit margin on Marquette work was minimal, to say the least.

After Gerry passed and the company evolved/devolved, Marquette started looking at different GCs through the COE-Construction department. Opus headquarters left Milwaukee and they don’t participate in the co-op program anymore.

It was a good thing for both parties, MU is paying more for construction now than before.

Regardless, the style of buildings has nothing to do with the contractor.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 03:31:16 PM by 🏀 »

• All American
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2024, 03:34:27 PM »
Did Opus do the previous design work as well?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2024, 04:03:03 PM »
These things have been discussed but I saw this article this weekend:

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2024/01/05/friday-photos-its-construction-season-on-marquette-campus/

The new nursing school (Straz) design looks similar to the new business school design. I’m not a fan of either design. Oh well. Those are the designs. (I’m all for progress and improvements.) I’m less of a fan of the location of the new business school. I’ll have to wait and see with the Rec. Skeptical but hopeful.

I do like the (long overdue) Wisconsin Ave facing design update to the library.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2024, 03:31:40 PM »
We have a library on campus?!?!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2024, 09:18:14 AM »
I think a lot of the new designs are built for environmental and sustainability standards.

That's great. But you can have an environmental and sustainable building that still looks nice. This ain't it

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2024, 10:06:55 AM »
We have a library on campus?!?!

I was in the library almost ever day - the big chairs were perfect for taking a nap between classes without having to go back to my apartment!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2024, 04:41:04 PM »
That's great. But you can have an environmental and sustainable building that still looks nice. This ain't it

It's still 100 times more attractive than the old nursing building.

I really don't care all that much about the outside of the building. But I have been inside the building a couple of times in the past six months and it's going to be amazing.  Our nursing school (which has grown 150% since 2010) is going to have some of the best facilities in the country. 

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 04:44:16 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback