collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recommendations for Return to Campus  (Read 7890 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Recommendations for Return to Campus
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2024, 02:22:45 PM »
Give it a rest. If this was ever even remotely funny, it stopped being so a long, long time ago.

Given that we have a poster who has dedicated an entire thread to his belief that Milwaukee is a dystopian hellscape - and that any person foolish enough to step into the city will either be killed, molested or robbed ... it's pretty funny.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2024, 02:27:37 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2024, 02:27:58 PM »
Give it a rest. If this was ever even remotely funny, it stopped being so a long, long time ago.

It is funny as long as there is a MU crime thread.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2024, 02:32:00 PM »
Given that we have a poster who has dedicated an entire thread to his belief that Milwaukee is a dystopian hellscape - and that any person foolish enough to step into the city will either be killed, molested or robbed ... it's pretty funny.

And you live where?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2024, 03:08:41 PM »
Great to hear the trip went well! If you have a chance to take a long weekend during the summer, it's even better up here.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2024, 03:49:38 PM »
Great to hear the trip went well! If you have a chance to take a long weekend during the summer, it's even better up here.

Marquette basketball plays in the summer? ;D :P

MU82

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2024, 05:12:48 PM »
And you live where?

Wut?

Where do you live?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2024, 05:18:35 PM »
Prelude to doxxing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2024, 05:20:51 PM »
Prelude to doxxing.

Eff you. You live where?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2024, 05:23:49 PM »
Meeeechigan

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2024, 08:18:20 PM »
Meeeechigan

As a Miami Dolphins fan, the Jim “Mad Dog” Mandich reference always brings a smile to my face.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2024, 08:49:57 PM »
Quick answer: We had a fantastic trip! What a great game! Thank you to everyone for the recommendations.

In the event anyone is interested:

First of all - the weather couldn’t have been better. Two days in Milwaukee on 12/29 and 12/30 could have been very, very different. We were able to walk everything with just a sweatshirt.

Arrived a bit after noon on Friday and got an Uber to the hotel. Walked up to campus and gave the best tour I could with everything locked up. Focused on the academic side of campus on the way up. Marveled at all the new buildings. Love the “gates” on Wisconsin at the entry to campus. The law school was particularly impressive. Made our way all the way up to Mashuda and the Pabst Mansion.

Grabbed a quick Leinenkugel at Miss Katie’s. It’s a sentimental thing for me, but the place is definitely showing a lot of wear and tear. Then worked our way down to Real Chili and had a bowl of hot. Wow…place really hasn’t changed. The prices sure have. A bowl of hot with all the fixings is $15! It was surprisingly good and my son agreed.

Murphys and Caffreys were both closed Friday afternoon. Walked through the rest of campus. Quick pit stop at the spirit shop. Peeked in the windows of the Al (the girls were practicing).

Headed downtown to explore Milwaukee a bit. Amazed by the differences. The area has so many seemingly nice housing options fairly near MU. The big food court area in the heart of the old Grand Avenue is cool. Walked over to the Third Ward. Very, very cool. The market was hopping and everything there was impressive. Grabbed a beer and some fried cheese curds (our first time eating those) at a bar across from the public market).

After a quick stop at the hotel we walked up the river to Lakefront. Absolutely blown away by all the development and condos on the river. The tour and the fish fry at Riverfront were awesome. We sampled more than our share of their work. Lots of really good beers. Loved Eastside Lager.

Got up relatively early and walked to the lake and explored. They’ve done a beautiful job down there. Grabbed a quick coffee and pastry at that food court at the old Grand Avenue and then headed to Major Goolsby’s for a couple pre-game beers.

Went into Fiserv as soon as the doors opened. Wow! That is far and away the nicest arena I’ve ever seen. Nothing else is even close. Explored all over. My daughter had hooked me up with access to the Jockey Club behind our seats so we enjoyed that. My daughter’s hook-up also included a hand signed card from Shaka. I was shocked. Still am.

Then we watched the Warriors crush Creighton’s spirit. Highlight of the trip! Fantastic! Fun seeing all the old players sitting about 50’ from us (Diener, Novak, Chapman, Grimm, Kinsela). Very cool seeing the interaction between TyKo and Diener after the game. Those two are cut from the same cloth.

Went to Caffrey’s (aka the Ardmore) and met up with some old friends for several beers. Mass at Gesu in the “lower church” (ie, basement - didn’t know Gesu had a basement). Tried a couple doors and found one unlocked from the basement to the upper church and found ourselves inside Gesu with no lights. Street lights bleeding in through the stained glass…beautiful even if we really couldn’t see anything.

Took an Uber to Bakistrieri’s in Tosa. My wife and I used to go there from time to time. A favorite. Hasn’t changed at all. Had some fantastic pizza. Back to the hotel for a quick nightcap and get ready for our 4:15 a.m. Uber.

And that’s pretty much it. Almost certainly far, far more than anyone is interested in. It was a truly fantastic trip back to MU after 30+ years. I can’t wait to go again. It definitely won’t be 30 years before the next time.

Warrior
Glad your trip down Memory Lane was special - think about making an annual pilgrimage. You won’t regret it!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2024, 09:08:07 PM »
Lenny’s. I loved the tale of your trip   Thank you

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2024, 09:29:57 PM »
Warrior
Glad your trip down Memory Lane was special - think about making an annual pilgrimage. You won’t regret it!

I'd recommend twice a week!

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2024, 10:01:21 PM »
Wut?

Where do you live?
[/quote

I live in Wauwatosa. Roughly 60 blocks from the heart of Marquette's campus. I'm downtown 6 days a week.

I was just curious how you think you know more about my city than I do.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2024, 11:02:23 PM »
Wut?

Where do you live?
[/quote

I live in Wauwatosa. Roughly 60 blocks from the heart of Marquette's campus. I'm downtown 6 days a week.

I only know what I read in Doc's Crime Report thread. I'm pleasantly surprised you've survived this long given Doc's contention that Milwaukee is a dystopian hellscape and that any person foolish enough to step into the city will either be killed, molested or robbed.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2024, 11:39:28 PM »
Wut?

Where do you live?
[/quote

Dick, get used to the entitled sunbed alumni.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2024, 07:32:34 AM »
Glad to hear you didn’t get shot or stabbed

I'm a bit reluctant to wade into these waters given the obvious (and justified) sarcasm, but given the length of my previous post I was probably remiss to not mention my thoughts on this subject. We walked around quite a bit -- including to and from Lakefront after dark -- and I felt very safe. This was noteworthy because when I was last living in the area 30+ years ago, it wasn't particularly safe. My impression -- admittedly after only 1.5 days -- is that anyone who feels unsafe in that area simply feels unsafe in cities. We did have one occasion where we opted to not cross the street because there was someone on the other sidewalk who was yelling at the world. Absolutely par for the course in any city I've ever been in. The fact that we walked as much as we did and that was the single thing I could even mention speaks very well of the city.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2024, 08:17:56 AM »
Thanks for your un-crime report, SAW.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2024, 08:57:20 AM »
I'm a bit reluctant to wade into these waters given the obvious (and justified) sarcasm, but given the length of my previous post I was probably remiss to not mention my thoughts on this subject. We walked around quite a bit -- including to and from Lakefront after dark -- and I felt very safe. This was noteworthy because when I was last living in the area 30+ years ago, it wasn't particularly safe. My impression -- admittedly after only 1.5 days -- is that anyone who feels unsafe in that area simply feels unsafe in cities. We did have one occasion where we opted to not cross the street because there was someone on the other sidewalk who was yelling at the world. Absolutely par for the course in any city I've ever been in. The fact that we walked as much as we did and that was the single thing I could even mention speaks very well of the city.

Glad to hear.  Milwaukee, like any other major metropolitan area has its share of crime and issues that need to be addressed.  Despite this, it would be against the ethos of Marquette to abandon the city
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2024, 08:59:58 AM »
We spent a long weekend in Walker's Point last summer, in a neighborhood that I never would have walked around in when at Marquette, and I never felt unsafe.

But other parts of the city have probably seen the opposite.

Such is the way of big cities. It has always been that way and will always be that way.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2024, 09:10:04 AM »
Question about campus athletic facilities:  I was surprised to notice a really nice weight room in the facility that is across the street from the Al. Is that where the athletes work out? Specifically basketball? I always assumed that the Al housed those types of facilities for the athletes.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2024, 09:13:41 AM »
Milwaukee has much to offer as both a place to live and a place to visit.

It's not like San Francisco in its prime, where everything jumps out at you. At times, one has to look for it. But to the adventurous, Milwaukee  has much to offer and lots of "off the beaten path" cool.

Sure it has its problems. And there are those whose bias and bigotry keeps them ensconced safely in their world. Just makes it all the nicer for the rest of us.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2024, 09:30:24 AM »
Question about campus athletic facilities:  I was surprised to notice a really nice weight room in the facility that is across the street from the Al. Is that where the athletes work out? Specifically basketball? I always assumed that the Al housed those types of facilities for the athletes.

I believe it is for the non-basketball athletes. Although, I thought I saw on my season tickets pamphlet this year an opportunity to donate to a second phase that would include basketball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2024, 09:50:22 AM »
As a side note, I really like how they have reflected the gothic bell tower from Marquette Hall in other buildings and structures. There are several that are different (e.g., Raynor, Cudahy, the campus "gates"), but clearly a reference to that iconic structure.

feedback