[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Is the NCAA tournament a “crapshoot”

Yes
111 (72.1%)
No
43 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Author Topic: Is the NCAA tournament a “crapshoot”  (Read 13716 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Is the NCAA tournament a “crapshoot”
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2023, 04:07:50 PM »
When Wiscy won at Oregon recently Oregon played without their starting PG, SG and Center.
It is difficult to win 2 on 5, but that's what the NIT tournament committee decided would be a fair handicap to make the sides even.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2023, 06:11:05 PM »
I’d say they are the 4 best teams, for the past two weeks. They’re the only teams that are undefeated the past couple of weeks.

Metrically, though, they aren't. Per Torvik, here are the rankings since Selection Sunday:

1) UConn
4) Miami
9) San Diego State
27) FAU

They also aren't the only undefeated teams the past couple of weeks. North Texas, Utah Valley, UAB, Wisconsin, and Charlotte are also all undefeated. Four of the five rate higher than FAU.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2023, 06:29:08 PM »
Four of the five rate higher than FAU.
Even you can’t be this married to advanced stats

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2023, 06:36:03 PM »
Metrically, though, they aren't. Per Torvik, here are the rankings since Selection Sunday:

1) UConn
4) Miami
9) San Diego State
27) FAU

They also aren't the only undefeated teams the past couple of weeks. North Texas, Utah Valley, UAB, Wisconsin, and Charlotte are also all undefeated. Four of the five rate higher than FAU.

Further proof the tournament is a crapshoot.  As decisive as this poll
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2023, 07:36:41 PM »

I have to agree. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2023, 08:04:38 PM »

Do you really think FAU is one of the four best teams in the country? Or remotely close to that? They aren't, and they haven't played like it this tournament. They escaped a 50/50 game they honestly should've lost, got the easiest second round game in the history of the NCAA Tournament, and got out of a relatively weak four-team pod at MSG.

They've had a fun run and I've greatly enjoyed it (and made a lot of money on it) but even though they could feasibly win a national championship, they are not one of the four best, nor one of the ten best teams in the country and haven't played like it at any point this season. Including the past two weeks.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2023, 08:09:24 PM »
Do you really think FAU is one of the four best teams in the country? Or remotely close to that? They aren't, and they haven't played like it this tournament. They escaped a 50/50 game they honestly should've lost, got the easiest second round game in the history of the NCAA Tournament, and got out of a relatively weak four-team pod at MSG.

They've had a fun run and I've greatly enjoyed it (and made a lot of money on it) but even though they could feasibly win a national championship, they are not one of the four best, nor one of the ten best teams in the country and haven't played like it at any point this season. Including the past two weeks.
They won the 4 basketball games on their schedule in a region setup exactly the way as everyone else’s. It’s not any deeper than that.

I am a big stats / analytics guy but there comes a point where you have to close the spreadsheet and look at the results.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2023, 08:15:17 PM »
I’d have to imagine that 4/5 just turned to 3/5.

If not the model is seriously flawed.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2023, 08:20:36 PM »
NIT proving single elimination tournaments are crapshoots

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2023, 08:23:30 PM »
Shouldn’t we just have the NCAA tourney decided all by analytics - the the most fair and accurate way to do it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2023, 08:26:42 PM »
Shouldn’t we just have the NCAA tourney decided all by analytics - the the most fair and accurate way to do it.

Why would you do that?  Tournament wouldn’t be a crapshoot then

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2023, 08:43:00 PM »
They won the 4 basketball games on their schedule in a region setup exactly the way as everyone else’s. It’s not any deeper than that.

I am a big stats / analytics guy but there comes a point where you have to close the spreadsheet and look at the results.

If you really think FAU is one of the four best teams in the country, I have some lovely development property in South Florida you might also be interested in west of Boca Raton.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2023, 08:51:18 PM »
NCAA tourney - single elimination and 64+ teams - is this most statistically random outcome of all the major sporting event championships.

Therefore, crapshoot

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2023, 08:53:25 PM »
If you really think FAU is one of the four best teams in the country, I have some lovely development property in South Florida you might also be interested in west of Boca Raton.
If you think 4 teams not in the NCAA tournament are better than FAU right now I have some lovely oceanfront property in North Texas you might be interested in.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2023, 08:54:25 PM »
NCAA tourney - single elimination and 64+ teams - is this most statistically random outcome of all the major sporting event championships.

Therefore, crapshoot
Except it’s not at all statistically random because a top 6 statistically ranked team wins it 86% of the time.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2023, 08:55:53 PM »

Therefore, crapshoot

Yup.  I’m glad over 70% of scoop knows ball

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2023, 08:56:49 PM »
If you think 4 teams not in the NCAA tournament are better than FAU right now I have some lovely oceanfront property in North Texas you might be interested in.

I think at least a dozen teams not in the NCAA Tournament are better than FAU right now, including one right here in Milwaukee.

Teams that aren't among the four best teams make the Final Four all the time. It happens pretty much every year. And that's okay. It's that random unpredictability that allows less competent teams to reach the sport's biggest stage that makes it so compelling.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2023, 08:58:11 PM »
I think at least a dozen teams not in the NCAA Tournament are better than FAU right now, including one right here in Milwaukee.

Teams that aren't among the four best teams make the Final Four all the time. It happens pretty much every year. And that's okay. It's that random unpredictability that allows less competent teams to reach the sport's biggest stage that makes it so compelling.

I’d take a bakers dozen and then some over Miami, too.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2023, 08:59:25 PM »
No way dude.  I picked Miami for the Final Four.  Don’t try to take that from me.
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2023, 09:03:19 PM »
No way dude.  I picked Miami for the Final Four.  Don’t try to take that from me.

They’ve been very impressive in the tournament. 

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2023, 09:04:34 PM »
Well they won the ACC tournament too so I had to roll with them.  They found the right dice for the crapshoot.
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2023, 09:06:07 PM »
Well they won the ACC tournament too so I had to roll with them.  They found the right dice for the crapshoot.

They have and they haven’t had the luck of FAU.  They’ve knocked out two very good teams

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2023, 09:09:39 PM »
They’ve been very impressive in the tournament.

Because of the one-off nature, a team like Miami can break through despite there being many better teams in the field. Miami played two such teams this past week in Houston and Texas. If those teams play a 7-game series, Miami loses 4-1 or 4-2 against either, but because it was just the single result, they survived and advanced.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that the unpredictability of Tournament results can lead to lesser teams reaching the biggest stage. It's simply a recognition of reality. We've seen it with teams like VCU, George Mason, Butler, UConn, UCLA, we've seen plenty of teams that aren't elite get to the Final Four or beyond because of lucky breaks or playing great games. Even 2003 Marquette, which was one of the sports highlights of my life, probably lose to Kentucky in a 7-game series. But we got the greatest single game performance from the greatest player in program history and ended up beating them comfortably.

The ability for the underdog to win is what makes the tournament so magical. The reason it's awesome is BECAUSE it's a crapshoot. If the top algorithmic team won every year, it wouldn't be compelling. But that's not what happens, and that's why we love it.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2023, 09:13:08 PM »
You’re still running with the logic that anything other than the algorithmically 4 best teams pre-tournament in the Final Four means it’s a crapshoot.

I need to understand that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2023, 09:15:01 PM »
You’re still running with the logic that anything other than the algorithmically 4 best teams pre-tournament in the Final Four means it’s a crapshoot.

I need to understand that.

Was Wisconsin decidedly better than Marquette this year?

I'm not talking about for one game in December, I'm talking about the whole season. Is it your contention that Wisconsin was a superior team to Marquette?

feedback