[Today at 07:42:19 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tommy article from Forbes.  (Read 3659 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Tommy article from Forbes.
« on: October 21, 2015, 01:51:34 PM »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Tommy article from Forbes.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »
Hmmm...

For example, during my time at Marquette University, I decided not to offer a scholarship to an incredibly talented student-athlete after being turned off by the way he spoke to his mother during a recruiting trip. At the time I remember thinking, “he has the ability to take our program to the next level, but if he’s going to talk to his mother that way, how in the world am I ever going to get him to listen and respect me?” The student-athlete went on to accept an offer from another university, and proceeded to become a collegiate All-American and later an NBA All-Star.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »
Shumpert?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 03:29:18 PM »
Hmmm...

For example, during my time at Marquette University, I decided not to offer a scholarship to an incredibly talented student-athlete after being turned off by the way he spoke to his mother during a recruiting trip. At the time I remember thinking, “he has the ability to take our program to the next level, but if he’s going to talk to his mother that way, how in the world am I ever going to get him to listen and respect me?” The student-athlete went on to accept an offer from another university, and proceeded to become a collegiate All-American and later an NBA All-Star.

Come on! I don't believe that for a second. If this mystery All-American wanted to play for Marquette, he would have played for Marquette.

(FTR, I'd say that if college coach had made this claim, not just Crean)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 03:33:25 PM »
Shumpert?

Probably not.  He was "offered a scholarship."  My guess is that this happened on an unofficial visit early on in the recruiting process.  Likely a name we never really heard associated with Marquette.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »

Probably not.  He was "offered a scholarship."  My guess is that this happened on an unofficial visit early on in the recruiting process.  Likely a name we never really heard associated with Marquette.

Shumpert also wasn't a collegiate All-American or an NBA All-Star.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 04:51:05 PM »
Shumpert also wasn't a collegiate All-American or an NBA All-Star.

Oh, well. Great. Thanks.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 05:01:05 PM »
Devin Harris?  Tommy may have been exaggerating a little bit.

Anyone want to take the time to cross-reference these two lists...
http://www.nba-allstar.com/allstargame/rosters.htm
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_america.html
Deron Williams, Al Horford, David West, Brandon Roy, Carmelo Anthony, Joakim Noah, Roy Hibbert, Stephen Curry, Kevin Love

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 03:09:59 PM »
Come on! I don't believe that for a second. If this mystery All-American wanted to play for Marquette, he would have played for Marquette.

(FTR, I'd say that if college coach had made this claim, not just Crean)

Correct. Output from the Tanned Tommy Spin Machine.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »
Ol' T-Cubed get off on folks thinkin' he's some larger than life basketball coach. Kinda like strokin' one's own Johnson, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 03:16:50 PM »
The Bronze Beast of Bloomington is so obsessed with proper, decorous behavior. The same idiot who chased down Jeff Meyer on the court in Ann Arbor and launched into a very loud, very public personal attack that was both inappropriate and incorrect.

The same guy who saw no problem with giving his own son every award in the basketball camp he ran.

The same guy who clearly instructed his players to feign contact in a game - Will Sheehy delivered an Oscar worthy performance under his coach's skilled guidance in cheating...

Crean is completely full of sh1t.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 04:17:38 PM »
Crying about "cheating" from a Michigan fan.....priceless

;)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 03:11:19 AM »
The Bronze Beast of Bloomington is so obsessed with proper, decorous behavior. The same idiot who chased down Jeff Meyer on the court in Ann Arbor and launched into a very loud, very public personal attack that was both inappropriate and incorrect.

The same guy who saw no problem with giving his own son every award in the basketball camp he ran.

The same guy who clearly instructed his players to feign contact in a game - Will Sheehy delivered an Oscar worthy performance under his coach's skilled guidance in cheating...

Crean is completely full of sh1t.

What? Would you mind explaining more?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 03:11:40 AM »
Crying about "cheating" from a Michigan fan.....priceless

;)

What does that mean?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 09:10:51 AM »
What does that mean?

A couple of years ago Crean in the huddle of a game told a player to flop with a few seconds left to try and draw a foul so they could get possession.  Apparently this is "cheating"....by the letter of the law, that is correct.  Of course coaches teach taking charges and dramatically falling all the time, the difference (I guess) is that this was at the end of the game as they were trying to get the ball back.

My comment was more in line with Michigan's wonderful history of truly cheating...paying players, etc to the point they had to vacate Final Fours, go on probation, etc. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 10:34:02 AM »
A couple of years ago Crean in the huddle of a game told a player to flop with a few seconds left to try and draw a foul so they could get possession.  Apparently this is "cheating"....by the letter of the law, that is correct.  Of course coaches teach taking charges and dramatically falling all the time, the difference (I guess) is that this was at the end of the game as they were trying to get the ball back.

It is cheating. If that is how Crean needs to game coach in order to be competitive then he has greater issues than a casual attitude towards sportsmanship.

A kid selling contact by flopping is hugely different than manufacturing non-existent contact. Perhaps if Crean had done a better job coaching in the previous 39 minutes of that game he wouldn't need to instruct his players on how to cheat.

I guess your man love for Tanned Tommy blinds you to the moral lapse of such a "game strategy." If Wojo was caught on camera instructing his Marquette players to do that I would equally outraged.

There is a difference between winning and winning with dignity.

Crean's personal ethical paradigm is so off-kilter he sees no problem with teaching kids how to cheat. But then he is the same guy who gives all the awards to his own kid, chases down an opposing coach to launch a bizarre public personal attack and then runs away laughing maniacally as if he had genuinely "shown him," grandstands a pledge of personal money for a soccer program then slinks off quietly with check book unopened.

If you want to see the heart and soul of Tom Crean watch any of his post-loss pressers. It is always the same narrative: I built a bullet proof game plan but these kids failed to execute. It would be hilarious were it no so predictable, transparent, and pathetic.   

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 12:23:26 PM »
Yup, the man love argument again.  Sigh.   He's a good coach, not a great coach.  He, just like Johnny B at Michigan, failed to make the NCAAs the year after a Final Four.  Crazy...ironic.   

So that I have your logic correct, it is ok in practice to teach someone to flop to get a call, but in the huddle during the game if you tell them to do it, it is not ok?

Still entertains me how much he owns Michigan, which there is some irony in there some where.  Even when the team could only win 10 or 12 games a year, they were still knocking off Michigan. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 12:42:47 PM »
Yup, the man love argument again.  Sigh.   He's a good coach, not a great coach.  He, just like Johnny B at Michigan, failed to make the NCAAs the year after a Final Four.  Crazy...ironic.   

So that I have your logic correct, it is ok in practice to teach someone to flop to get a call, but in the huddle during the game if you tell them to do it, it is not ok?

Still entertains me how much he owns Michigan, which there is some irony in there some where.  Even when the team could only win 10 or 12 games a year, they were still knocking off Michigan.

Yet since Tanned Thomas got there, It's Indiana has yet to make a Regional Final while Michigan has been to 2 and has been to a National Title game.

Entertaining, indeed.

Thomas left MU because he had reached the highest peek possible at Marquette, while there was no ceiling at It's Indiana, It's Indiana.  Fact of the matter is, an all world player fell into his hands at Marquette and completely carried him to a Final Four.  Other than that, he hasn't done a whole lot of anything noteworthy as a coach (besides having players run each other over after getting behind the wheel of a car after having had a few drinks as an 18 year old and a whole lot of kids using marijuana).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:44:46 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
Hmmm...

He's a colossal liar. He would've tied this recruits mother to a bed post and let the dog have at her if the recruit would've signed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 11:49:37 AM »
Criticizing Crean for having a player fake contact while having a former Duke player and Coach K acolyte as coach is just a wee bit hypocritical.    I seem to recall a video showing Wojo falling as if shot while trying to take a charge when the offensive player never got within a foot of him.    Crean just got caught on camera telling his player to do exactly what the player was observed doing a moment later. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 11:54:46 AM »
Hmmm...

I think some people are missing the forest for the trees here.  Even when trying to make himself appear virtuous, Crean still makes it clear that it's always all about him.  He didn't withhold the scholarship because the kid was disrespectful to his mother.  As he clearly admits, he didn't offer the scholarship because he suspected the kid wouldn't show him the proper respect.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »
Criticizing Crean for having a player fake contact while having a former Duke player and Coach K acolyte as coach is just a wee bit hypocritical.    I seem to recall a video showing Wojo falling as if shot while trying to take a charge when the offensive player never got within a foot of him.    Crean just got caught on camera telling his player to do exactly what the player was observed doing a moment later.

I think you are thinking of the Paulus flop. Also, Crean was telling the player to guard a guy closely and fake getting elbowed in the head to draw a flagrant foul. A little different than flopping for a charge.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 04:44:52 PM »
Good call.   I was picturing the Paulus flop.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
I just started reading this and abruptly stopped. What a pile of garbage! This guy is so odd it's shocking that he's a D1 coach, much less one that has had success.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 06:15:10 PM »

I think manufacturing a foul is materially different than selling 50/50 contact to a ref. The Duke flops where the defender goes down without contact is absurd. Exaggerating when there is contact has become part of the game.

A coach designing a play to manufacture a flagrant foul is on a whole different level. Crean displayed complete disregard for sportsmanship when drawing up that play in Minnesota.

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 11:02:20 PM »
The article is full inanities and psycho - babble. Emotional agility? Really? What a bizarre guy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 11:17:31 PM »

Yup

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 11:20:24 PM »
Yet since Tanned Thomas got there, It's Indiana has yet to make a Regional Final while Michigan has been to 2 and has been to a National Title game.

Entertaining, indeed.

Thomas left MU because he had reached the highest peek possible at Marquette, while there was no ceiling at It's Indiana, It's Indiana.  Fact of the matter is, an all world player fell into his hands at Marquette and completely carried him to a Final Four.  Other than that, he hasn't done a whole lot of anything noteworthy as a coach (besides having players run each other over after getting behind the wheel of a car after having had a few drinks as an 18 year old and a whole lot of kids using marijuana).

For a man that fell into his lap, it's amazing how much love he still shows him daily.  Weird.  At any rate, I'm always happy to know your nickname here would not have happened without the coach you despise so much.

And yes, Michigan has done very well.  IU, well they haven't done well in two decades plus.  The most consistent they have been is the last 4 years, but they still have a long way to go if they are to ever get back to what they were, which I don't think they will.  Even Bobby Knight sucked it hard the last half decade there, when he wasn't choking players, throwing plants at secretaries, kicking people, etc. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »
"People often ask me, “What’s the secret to being a successful basketball coach or executive?” Truth is that there is no secret, but rather a skill that separates great leaders from mediocre ones, that’s the ability to focus and make the best move when there are no good moves left."

Let's see...

Signing Trend, Ammo, Mortensen, Kinsella, Hazel, Berkowitz...

"Making moves" with Saunders...

Not capitalizing on a Final Four...

Am I missing any?

EDIT:

"The second is his ability to empathize with teammates, coaching staff members and anyone he interacts with on a day-to-day basis."

Sure didn't empathize with his players when they heard he was leaving MU via media first.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:31:29 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette