[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: EV's  (Read 22199 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: EV's
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2023, 04:59:45 PM »
What? Have you seen a charging station?
Yes, and I have seen estimates from California, where they plan on having yearly sales of 1 million ZEVs by 2025. If a quick charge takes 30 minutes minimum,  as opposed to 3 minutes to fill up with gas. They will need a heck of alot more chargers.

Still doesnt solve the apartment issue

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2023, 05:28:37 PM »
Yes, and I have seen estimates from California, where they plan on having yearly sales of 1 million ZEVs by 2025. If a quick charge takes 30 minutes minimum,  as opposed to 3 minutes to fill up with gas. They will need a heck of alot more chargers.

But why would you need more room?

Yes, you're going to need more chargers if there's more cars.

But replace every gas station with a charging station and there's likely no problem.

And it does solve the apartment issue. You charge at work - if available. Or you charge at a station just like you do now with a gas station.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2023, 08:22:56 PM »

And you confusing the current status of EVs to where they will be in 3, 5, 10 years where it won't be 30 mins minimum, it will be less.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2023, 02:48:46 PM »
Brother Lawdog:

Down here in Vero Beach, FL, we have significant ultra fast Tesla charging stations at the BP adjacent to Interstate 95, Exit 156. After my experience with a rental Tesla, I began looking just to see what's out there. There appears to be 12 to 16 charging stations for Teslas only -- for now. There also appears to be one at Fl 60, Exit 148, Vero Beach/Lake Wales.

I can hardly wait to see what Buck-ees does with EVs. Buck-ees is a Texas-based operation that is the mother of all convenience stores. Buck-ees is about four times the size of the biggest convenience station I've ever been in. Just guessing but the one in Georgia between Atlanta and the Georgia/Florida Line has about 200 pump islands surrounding it. To deal with Buck-ees demand, they'll probably either have to expropriate the sun or build a nuclear power plant next door. Buck-ees has an absolutely wonderful roadside dining experience, by the way.

As to the city, I'm spending 2.5 months in a ninth floor condo in Lincoln Park, Chicago, this summer. I've inquired about parking and found that most of the folks in the neighborhood park in a parking garage a block away. I'm guessing you'll see more of that and more city-sponsored EV charging stations (for a marked-up fee, of course, this is the City of Chicago).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 03:23:50 PM by dgies9156 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2023, 03:02:52 PM »
And you confusing the current status of EVs to where they will be in 3, 5, 10 years where it won't be 30 mins minimum, it will be less.

That would be an important consideration. Now, it takes a driver 5 minutes to fill up at a gas station. If the time to get an adequate charge can be knocked down to 10 minutes or less, it would definitely help solve the whole apartment-dwelling problem.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2023, 03:33:49 PM »
Chargers at gas stations.

TravelCenters of America to deploy 1,000 Electrify America fast EV chargers at 200 locations

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/travelcenters-of-america-to-deploy-1000-electrify-america-fast-ev-chargers-at-200-locations/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2023, 04:29:40 PM »
The wave of the future.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2023, 04:40:38 PM »
Chargers at gas stations.

TravelCenters of America to deploy 1,000 Electrify America fast EV chargers at 200 locations

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/travelcenters-of-america-to-deploy-1000-electrify-america-fast-ev-chargers-at-200-locations/
1000 chargers over 5 years does not sound like many.Especially with this:

Bloomberg NEF projects that plug-in vehicle sales will rise from 6.6 million in 2021 to 20.6 million in 2025.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2023, 04:44:32 PM »
That is probably worldwide sales.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2023, 06:27:37 PM »
1000 chargers over 5 years does not sound like many.Especially with this:

Bloomberg NEF projects that plug-in vehicle sales will rise from 6.6 million in 2021 to 20.6 million in 2025.

Well they only have 289 total locations so they are covering most of what they own.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2023, 07:03:25 PM »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2023, 07:04:23 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2023, 07:26:14 AM »
i still believe hybrids are the way to go.  i've used uber quite a bit and i have been picked up by a number of them.  i was picked up by a tesla once-very cool, but i would think it has more limitations as the delay to charge regardless of how quick, would be counter productive. 

until we can safely increase grid capability without compromising other services...we just cannot force the issue until it becomes more feasible for all. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2023, 08:09:30 AM »
i still believe hybrids are the way to go.  i've used uber quite a bit and i have been picked up by a number of them.  i was picked up by a tesla once-very cool, but i would think it has more limitations as the delay to charge regardless of how quick, would be counter productive. 

until we can safely increase grid capability without compromising other services...we just cannot force the issue until it becomes more feasible for all.

Charging my car has never been a limitation. Especially because 95% is done overnight in my garage

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2023, 12:21:47 PM »
Charging my car has never been a limitation. Especially because 95% is done overnight in my garage

Yessir.

My daughter and SIL have a Model X. They drove it from Seattle to Charlotte when they moved here and never had a significant problem or delay due to charging. They have 2 little kids and a dog, and they needed to make fairly frequent stops anyway, and the Tesla told them where charging stations were.

My SIL said he was a little concerned before the trip but now says he has absolutely no concerns about charging whatsoever. We're planning a long family trip soon and he's already looked at the route. His conclusion: "Charging will not be a problem at all."

jes, I have heard that some non-Tesla owners have found it a little more challenging to do that kind of trip. I don't know enough about the industry to know whether that's true or not. What's been your experience?

I bought a new car 2 months ago and it's a hybrid. I wasn't concerned about charging; I just wanted a mid-sized SUV and all of the EVs I looked at were either unavailable or outrageously expensive.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2023, 08:25:33 AM »

yes, glad it works out for you.  however, for uber/lyft/taxi/shuttles it may not be as feasible.  according to some references, EV's account for about 6% of our vehicles.  in order to allow for that number to increase to ?? we need to make sure our grids can support the extra demand. 

how is this done?  coal, natural gas, petroleum and nuclear.  some solar, wind, biomass and geothermal are negligible. 

we NEED to get back to being energy independent and that includes battery manufacturing.  if our adversaries control this, we will be in a state of bohica

has anyone else noticed the increase in demand for residential generators?  i am looking to buy a couple myself as we speak

don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2023, 08:42:48 AM »
I look for a lot more home solar set ups.   I look for office buildings in downtown town areas to get retrofitted with rooftop solar arrays.    I can see getting a solar array on my garage roof and using it to recharge an EV.
   I think battery technology is going to improve exponentially.  500 mile range will become the norm on EV's.   Range in cold weather climates will be one of the last obstacles overcome.
   The grid needs modernized.   The modernization will not be cheap.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 08:48:55 AM by tower912 »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2023, 08:47:31 AM »

has anyone else noticed the increase in demand for residential generators?  i am looking to buy a couple myself as we speak

We have had one for 20 years, but that's because we live in the country and have well water. No power, no water. That's a BIG deal. Ours is fueled by an underground LP tank. Remember that if power is out in an area, the gasoline pumps are often down.

There is a common misconception that a generator can power the entire house easily, including A/C.  ;D  If you are trying to keep within a reasonable budget, take some time to determine what appliances, circuits etc. are important to you and those which you can easily do without. If you simply have to have A/C, be ready to spend Big Time.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2023, 09:45:29 AM »
We have had one for 20 years, but that's because we live in the country and have well water. No power, no water. That's a BIG deal. Ours is fueled by an underground LP tank. Remember that if power is out in an area, the gasoline pumps are often down.

There is a common misconception that a generator can power the entire house easily, including A/C.  ;D  If you are trying to keep within a reasonable budget, take some time to determine what appliances, circuits etc. are important to you and those which you can easily do without. If you simply have to have A/C, be ready to spend Big Time.

Double what scoop said.  Too many people buy generators that don’t match what they want/need.  In a previous life time, I worked in that world and even after explaining what it would take to do what people were looking to do, they thought they could get by with less. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2023, 09:47:52 AM »
Double what scoop said.  Too many people buy generators that don’t match what they want/need.  In a previous life time, I worked in that world and even after explaining what it would take to do what people were looking to do, they thought they could get by with less.

Did you generate lots of sales?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2023, 09:49:05 AM »
Did you generate lots of sales?

Yes.  It was during 2YK 😂

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2023, 09:50:11 AM »
Yes.  It was during 2YK 😂

I'd comment, but we're all dead after the world ended.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2023, 09:50:45 AM »
There's an interesting article from the current issue of Smithsonian Magazine regarding generating electricity from cow manure, food waste (there is a massive amount of it) and other sources. This is still in its infancy, but I think holds promise for the future. Of course, some of you may call BS on this, and you would be absolutely right.

I could not get the link to focus only on the article, but to put it mildly, I am no tech whiz. You may find it by using "digester" as a key word to home in on the article. This link only gets you to the mag home page. Good luck. I would appreciate a FIFY from anyone.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com › innovatnrmers-turning-manure-into-money-180981

« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 09:53:50 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2023, 10:02:50 AM »
There's an interesting article from the current issue of Smithsonian Magazine regarding generating electricity from cow manure, food waste (there is a massive amount of it) and other sources. This is still in its infancy, but I think holds promise for the future. Of course, some of you may call BS on this, and you would be absolutely right.

I could not get the link to focus only on the article, but to put it mildly, I am no tech whiz. You may find it by using "digester" as a key word to home in on the article. This link only gets you to the mag home page. Good luck. I would appreciate a FIFY from anyone.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com › innovatnrmers-turning-manure-into-money-180981

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/why-anaerobic-digestion-becoming-next-big-renewable-energy-source-180960992/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2023, 11:15:39 AM »
Imagine what could be generated from a steady diet of Real Chili and Amigo's chimis.