collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Erin Hills  (Read 17546 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Erin Hills
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2017, 08:58:19 AM »
For what it's worth as a spectator on Saturday, I was impressed by how smoothly things went. From park and ride, to security, to shuttle, to the gate was an easy process. The Merchandise tent was MASSIVE (the cashier told me that they had 5k volunteers at the Open, and 2k were in the merch tent). We staked out a spot by the #5 tee/#7 green/#17 approach. Concessions moved well.

I'm not sure why I underestimated what a logistical undertaking putting the Open on was, but I was consistently impressed with how big it was and how well everything worked.

If "successfully got lots of fans in and separated them efficiently from their money" is a criteria for consideration for future Opens, I'd say Erin Hills passed that test.

That's good to hear. I went Thursday and had a good experience. I'll never do a weekend after the PGA two years ago at the Straits. For hosting for the third time, it was a cluster. Long concessions and running out of water and Gatorade on a 90 degree day.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »
This recap in the Trib today said that they're soon going to probably announce Oakland Hills for the 2027 but that after that Erin Hills will be in consideration for a Midwest stop. USGA will grade the course on a curve as it was much wetter than they anticipated which gave for softer greens. I think having this benchmark will allow them set the course up to their liking a bit more. What they do love is that the owner was willing to close the course down from last October to public play until the tournament giving them free reign to do what they like. Time will tell but there are not a lot of courses in the Midwest that the USGA can go to now that the PGA doesn't have a relationship with.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-us-open-return-erin-hills-greenstein-20170618-column.html

But I like to throw handfuls...

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
Out of curiosity I looked up what it costs to play at Erin Hills. $280 for 18 hols + $110 for your caddy. Goes up to $295 in 2018.

Not a cheap round.

Luckily I'm nowhere near good enough to play it so I don't even have to worry about not being able to afford it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
I have to chime in that Sunday concessions were awful. 20-25 minute lines, ran out of most food and a lot ran out of beer. Otherwise, the production was fantastic.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
I have to chime in that Sunday concessions were awful. 20-25 minute lines, ran out of most food and a lot ran out of beer. Otherwise, the production was fantastic.

No event in Wisconsin is considered a success unless you bring in way more beer than you think you will need and still manage to run out.
Have some patience, FFS.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2017, 12:36:25 PM »
US Open assignments are funny. Olympia Fields will never get another (nor should it). I hate when Torrey Pines, Pebble, or any regular tour event site hosts. I liked them trying out Chambers Bay & Erin Hills, it should be given some new looks. I don't understand Shinnecock needing to host twice in next eight years. Midwest seems to get the shaft with assignments. I think if it comes back to Chicago, Rich Harvest would be the locale.

Not a huge fan of Rich Harvest. The NCAA tournament they just held there was blah, IMO. Frankly, with Medinah being a PGA partner now, I don't think any Chicagoland course should be in the running for the US Open.

I hope the Open comes back to Erin Hills. For years, the USGA has taken criticism (rightly so) for over-managing and messing with conditions to push things to the edge. Look what they did to Chambers Bay, when they torched the place. It was refreshing to see the course play to its natural and intended state, no matter the score.

MUWarrior2007

• Walk-On
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2017, 01:08:04 PM »
Out of curiosity I looked up what it costs to play at Erin Hills. $280 for 18 hols + $110 for your caddy. Goes up to $295 in 2018.

Not a cheap round.

Luckily I'm nowhere near good enough to play it so I don't even have to worry about not being able to afford it.

Cheap compared to Whistling Straits, Straits Course, which "starts at" $410.00 for 18 plus $65 for caddy and a recommended $50 minimum tip for your caddy...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »
Here's what I don't get about the scoring was too low crowd. I watched as much as I could the whole week and you know what's fun.....seeing world class golfers play interesting shots well and scoring low. What about the score being low makes it less fun or interesting? Honestly, I've golfed for 20 years and on television I can't really tell the difference between a "tough" shot and a "routine" shot.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »
Here's what I don't get about the scoring was too low crowd. I watched as much as I could the whole week and you know what's fun.....seeing world class golfers play interesting shots well and scoring low. What about the score being low makes it less fun or interesting? Honestly, I've golfed for 20 years and on television I can't really tell the difference between a "tough" shot and a "routine" shot.
Yeah, this just sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W29HjSUWC4

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
Yeah, this just sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W29HjSUWC4

Yeah, Johny Miller's whole "Erin Hills isn't Oakmont is it" comment around Thomas's Saturday 63 is part of the detachment between the elites and the common fan. It's a symptom of the "golf should be really hard" crap that keeps people from coming to the game.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
Not a huge fan of Rich Harvest. The NCAA tournament they just held there was blah, IMO. Frankly, with Medinah being a PGA partner now, I don't think any Chicagoland course should be in the running for the US Open.

I hope the Open comes back to Erin Hills. For years, the USGA has taken criticism (rightly so) for over-managing and messing with conditions to push things to the edge. Look what they did to Chambers Bay, when they torched the place. It was refreshing to see the course play to its natural and intended state, no matter the score.

I understand on Rich Harvest, I know Jerry Rich wants it there before he dies, and I think he'd do whatever it takes to get it, but you're right about the NCAA's not being overwhelming.

Pity that Butler won't change it's membership policies, it would have a US Open every 10 years guaranteed. Chicago CC is absolutely fantastic, but there's no way the Wheaton/Glen Ellyn area could handle 30,000 people, that course isn't built for it. I haven't played Butler or Chicago, but back in the day caddied at both in events, always thought they were so much better than Dubsdread.

It was interesting that the USGA cited Erin Hills got a US Open (in part) because of how close it is to Chicago. I think the USGA knows the Chicago area courses (not counting Butler, Medinah, Chicago) aren't good enough. Erin Hills will host again in the next 15 years, with the Chicago market being part of the reason.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »
Yeah, Johny Miller's whole "Erin Hills isn't Oakmont is it" comment around Thomas's Saturday 63 is part of the detachment between the elites and the common fan. It's a symptom of the "golf should be really hard" crap that keeps people from coming to the game.

The moldy old pros might think that, but I don't think the USGA does.

Did you see the commercial they were running during the tourney for "Play 9"?  It was basically saying, "Yeah, we know that golf is hard, expensive, and time consuming, so how about just playing  9 holes?  We're cool with that."

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2S9G7lPiV1c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2S9G7lPiV1c</a>
Have some patience, FFS.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »
I understand on Rich Harvest, I know Jerry Rich wants it there before he dies, and I think he'd do whatever it takes to get it, but you're right about the NCAA's not being overwhelming.

Pity that Butler won't change it's membership policies, it would have a US Open every 10 years guaranteed. Chicago CC is absolutely fantastic, but there's no way the Wheaton/Glen Ellyn area could handle 30,000 people, that course isn't built for it. I haven't played Butler or Chicago, but back in the day caddied at both in events, always thought they were so much better than Dubsdread.

It was interesting that the USGA cited Erin Hills got a US Open (in part) because of how close it is to Chicago. I think the USGA knows the Chicago area courses (not counting Butler, Medinah, Chicago) aren't good enough. Erin Hills will host again in the next 15 years, with the Chicago market being part of the reason.

I agree on Butler, but at this point, it seems fruitless to discuss. I don't think the Chicago Golf Club is long enough to host a US Open these days. I think the course is something like 6,600 yards. It is hosting the new US Women's Senior Open in 2018, so it will be interesting to see how the course plays for that event.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
The single most difficult golf course I have ever played was Beverly Country Club. There were thousands upon thousands of trees there ... and I somehow managed to be behind every effen one of them! It was a real grind. I played there at a function just a couple of weeks before Michael Jordan played his first official pro event; there had been talk (laughable to be sure) at the time that maybe he'd try his hand at pro golf. Well, he shot an 86 and called it one of the most difficult courses he ever played. Frankly, I didn't have much fun, and neither did MJ, methinks.

I know there is no way any big-time pro event ever would be held there, let alone a U.S. Open. For one thing, there is nowhere to put the fans. But I'd love to see some pros deal with fairways about a third as wide as those at Erin Hills.

Although I agree with mu03eng that it's often fun to see pros tear up a course with great, interesting shots, my favorite thing to watch is the way the pros get out of trouble. Just amazing.

And the hack in me also loves to see the pros mess up royally in a big tournament, like van de Velde did in the '99 British. As a guy who has had the "chipping yips" forever, I love it when a Tiger or McIlroy chili-dips a chip. And it didn't break my heart when Spieth imploded on No. 12 at the Masters, either - I have 1, 2 or 3 (or 4) holes like that every round!!!

For the vast, vast, vast majority of everyday sports fans, there is no way we could score against LeBron if he didn't want us to, no way we could catch a pass against an NFL cornerback if he really wanted to stop us, no way we could hit a Chapman fastball. But I could stand on a tee against Phil Mickelson and beat his score, even if he really wanted to beat me - I hit a great shot, he misses his a little bit, I roll in a putt, he can't get up and down ... and it happens.

I played Medinah a month before the 1999 PGA Championship (the famous Tiger vs Garcia clash), and while I didn't break 100, I did birdie the signature par-3 hole over the water with a 30-foot downhill putt that probably would have ended up in the lake if it didn't find the hole. It is totally conceivable that I could have beaten a pro on that one hole at that instant.

I think that's one of the things some of us like about golf.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2017, 03:56:27 PM »

Although I agree with mu03eng that it's often fun to see pros tear up a course with great, interesting shots, my favorite thing to watch is the way the pros get out of trouble. Just amazing.

Except in the Open. It is a different tournament than the weekly run of the mill goings-on.

I too love to watch the shot making talents involved in getting out of trouble. But there is not a lot of trouble when the fairways are that wide.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »
The single most difficult golf course I have ever played was Beverly Country Club. There were thousands upon thousands of trees there ... and I somehow managed to be behind every effen one of them! It was a real grind. I played there at a function just a couple of weeks before Michael Jordan played his first official pro event; there had been talk (laughable to be sure) at the time that maybe he'd try his hand at pro golf. Well, he shot an 86 and called it one of the most difficult courses he ever played. Frankly, I didn't have much fun, and neither did MJ, methinks.

I know there is no way any big-time pro event ever would be held there, let alone a U.S. Open. For one thing, there is nowhere to put the fans. But I'd love to see some pros deal with fairways about a third as wide as those at Erin Hills.

And the hack in me also loves to see the pros mess up royally in a big tournament, like van de Velde did in the '99 British. As a guy who has had the "chipping yips" forever, I love it when a Tiger or McIlroy chili-dips a chip. And it didn't break my heart when Spieth imploded on No. 12 at the Masters, either - I have 1, 2 or 3 (or 4) holes like that every round!!!

For the vast, vast, vast majority of everyday sports fans, there is no way we could score against LeBron if he didn't want us to, no way we could catch a pass against an NFL cornerback if he really wanted to stop us, no way we could hit a Chapman fastball. But I could stand on a tee against Phil Mickelson and beat his score, even if he really wanted to beat me - I hit a great shot, he misses his a little bit, I roll in a putt, he can't get up and down ... and it happens.

I played Medinah a month before the 1999 PGA Championship (the famous Tiger vs Garcia clash), and while I didn't break 100, I did birdie the signature par-3 hole over the water with a 30-foot downhill putt that probably would have ended up in the lake if it didn't find the hole. It is totally conceivable that I could have beaten a pro on that one hole at that instant.

I think that's one of the things some of us like about golf.

Have you played Bethpage Black?  Not saying it as difficult as some of the others you have played, but dang, that course equalized me.  Mrs. Reinko is from Bethpage so I have waited in line early mornings as a single and get my ash kicked every time.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2017, 09:31:20 PM »
Erin Hills was set up with 50 yard fairways and greens 12 on the stimp meter . If they narrowed the fairways , and made the greens slicker it would have played more in line with US opens of the past. That said the guy who won the tournament is a quality player.

I prefer to see the US Open on the traditionally great courses. If they do a course in the Midwest they should be doing Oakland Hills which has one of the toughest green complexes in golf. Oakland Hills was in the PGA and Ryder Cup rotation for a while but will likely get back in the Open mix.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »
Erin Hills was set up with 50 yard fairways and greens 12 on the stimp meter . If they narrowed the fairways , and made the greens slicker it would have played more in line with US opens of the past. That said the guy who won the tournament is a quality player.

I prefer to see the US Open on the traditionally great courses. If they do a course in the Midwest they should be doing Oakland Hills which has one of the toughest green complexes in golf. Oakland Hills was in the PGA and Ryder Cup rotation for a while but will likely get back in the Open mix.

You want the greens faster than a 12? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2017, 10:03:18 PM »
Have you played Bethpage Black?  Not saying it as difficult as some of the others you have played, but dang, that course equalized me.  Mrs. Reinko is from Bethpage so I have waited in line early mornings as a single and get my ash kicked every time.

I haven't, but I hear it is a bear ... and you have confirmed it. I also haven't played the Kohler courses, which I hear aren't very fun for hacks like me!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2017, 07:05:31 AM »
You want the greens faster than a 12?

Last year at Oakmont, they were 14.     Again, I think the lack of knowledge of the course led to conservative pin placements.   The rain and lack of wind led to the players being able to stop 300 yard 3 woods in a very small area.    At the historic US Open venues, the courses generally have more tilt to the greens (than Erin Hills had), they are rock hard, and a pro has to fear a 25 ft downhill putt.    There wasn't a lot of fear while putting at Erin.    And those big run offs rarely came into play because of the soft conditions and slow greens. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:20:14 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2017, 07:24:43 AM »
Everything I've read in the last couple days has me convinced that the USGA and the players were very pleased.  There seems almost no doubt the US Open will be back fairly soon.  If you made me guess about a dozen years.  Let's say 2030 for grins.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2017, 07:54:36 AM »
Everything I've read in the last couple days has me convinced that the USGA and the players were very pleased.  There seems almost no doubt the US Open will be back fairly soon.  If you made me guess about a dozen years.  Let's say 2030 for grins.

Agreed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »
I saw someone remark that it was nice that it presented every golfer with an opportunity to win the Open, rather than 288 opportunities to lose it.

For all the "It's not as hard as other US Opens have been in the past" talk, the course made a lot of very good golfers shoot above par. Something like 80% of the field shot over par. It wasn't a walk in the park.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »
Absolutely right.   It punished those who didn't keep it in the fairway.   Day, Rory.    It rewarded Koekpa, who hit it long, kept it in the fairway, and made putts.      As it should be.   Everything can be improved upon, but at the end, the player who deserved it won.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2017, 08:57:20 AM »
Last year at Oakmont, they were 14.     Again, I think the lack of knowledge of the course led to conservative pin placements.   The rain and lack of wind led to the players being able to stop 300 yard 3 woods in a very small area.    At the historic US Open venues, the courses generally have more tilt to the greens (than Erin Hills had), they are rock hard, and a pro has to fear a 25 ft downhill putt.    There wasn't a lot of fear while putting at Erin.    And those big run offs rarely came into play because of the soft conditions and slow greens.

Yes, but Oakmont is the fastest in the world, it is what the course is famous for.  Few courses exceed a 12, and 12 is generally what they shoot for to be considered very fast and difficult.

If Erin Hills would be a 14 and they had dry and windy conditions, the course would have been unplayable. 

Agreed though on the wet and not-windy being the problem.   

feedback