[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: a couple of great books by 1 of our own  (Read 3841 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
a couple of great books by 1 of our own
« on: December 07, 2019, 12:32:30 PM »
i've gotten to know joe over he past couple of years-what a perfect time, ahem,Christmas presents,  to check out a couple of his gems, the centennial edition of  "you can call me Al" and for a walk back down a more recent memory lane-"goin' uptown"

i had him sign a couple over to my 2 boys-warriors since their days in diapers and now MU alums as many of us are.  i read the original "you can call me Al" multiple times but this centennial edition reads like a whole new book mentioning probably a few people in the dedication that we all knew and/or crossed paths with "back in the day".  like him or not, bobby knight provides a great forward as does rick majerus in the "goin' downtown book.

being able to read something that came from one of our own provides an even more unique perspective for us, knowing he walked some of the same paths to and from class that we did. 

don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: a couple of great books by 1 of our own
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 06:40:31 PM »
I thought only the Russian bots tried to sell things on here  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 08:04:21 PM »
come on tg, the dude's one of our own.  i have no skin in the game.  met him once, correspond with him on occasion, and just thought i'd help some of you guys out struggling for Christmas present ideas...tis da season, eyn'a ;)

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
i've gotten to know joe over he past couple of years-what a perfect time, ahem,Christmas presents,  to check out a couple of his gems, the centennial edition of  "you can call me Al" and for a walk back down a more recent memory lane-"goin' uptown"

i had him sign a couple over to my 2 boys-warriors since their days in diapers and now MU alums as many of us are.  i read the original "you can call me Al" multiple times but this centennial edition reads like a whole new book mentioning probably a few people in the dedication that we all knew and/or crossed paths with "back in the day".  like him or not, bobby knight provides a great forward as does rick majerus in the "goin' downtown book.

being able to read something that came from one of our own provides an even more unique perspective for us, knowing he walked some of the same paths to and from class that we did.

Both are awesome, thorough histories of what brings everyone to this site. Good xmas gifts for the MU fans in your life.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »
Then let me throw in a recommendation for the writing of another one of our own:  Steve Rushin, Long time SI writer from the class of ‘88.  Also has one of my favorite podcasts with his wife, Rebecca Lobo:  Ball & Chain.  He has written two memoirs, the first (Stingray Afternoons) is terrific on growing up in the 70’s in the Midwest (specifically Bloomington MN). The second was just published - Nights in White Castles - about his high school and Marquette years.  Lots of sports, family and growing up with American pop culture of the day. Great reads and extremely relatable for this crowd.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 10:38:24 PM »
Then let me throw in a recommendation for the writing of another one of our own:  Steve Rushin, Long time SI writer from the class of ‘88.  Also has one of my favorite podcasts with his wife, Rebecca Lobo:  Ball & Chain.  He has written two memoirs, the first (Stingray Afternoons) is terrific on growing up in the 70’s in the Midwest (specifically Bloomington MN). The second was just published - Nights in White Castles - about his high school and Marquette years.  Lots of sports, family and growing up with American pop culture of the day. Great reads and extremely relatable for this crowd.

excellent stuff LL!! forgot about steve=thanks for that info!  now i've got to figure out how to change the subject title to 2 of our own...anyone got a 3rd?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:42:21 PM »
Seconded on everything you said about Steve Rushin, book and podcast alike

TJ

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 01:10:17 AM »

Any ideas of where I could get these books?  I remember the Al book being released when I was at school but I never picked one up.  I can find plenty of used copies but that wouldn't really help Joe very much so I'm interested if you have a source available.  I'm planning to be in Milwaukee again at some point in 2020 for a game so it might not be Christmas if you have a local source but I'd still look into picking one up.  If not, I'll pick up a used copy and still be able to enjoy the book at least.

Thanks!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 01:19:31 AM »
 joe's web site-send him an email and he will mail one out to you $17.95("goin' downtown") and $19.95(Al) plus postage i believe

great story on how he was the only one to get Al's real permission/authorized to write the book over many other notables including deford

https://jdmpress.net/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:34:19 AM by rocket surgeon »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 09:06:18 AM »
excellent stuff LL!! forgot about steve=thanks for that info!  now i've got to figure out how to change the subject title to 2 of our own...anyone got a 3rd?
Walk On Warrior....John Willkom.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 10:33:08 AM »
Walk On Warrior....John Willkom.

Excellent read

TJ

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 10:48:15 AM »
joe's web site-send him an email and he will mail one out to you $17.95("goin' downtown") and $19.95(Al) plus postage i believe

great story on how he was the only one to get Al's real permission/authorized to write the book over many other notables including deford

https://jdmpress.net/
Thanks!  I really appreciate it.  I've been curious about finding that particular book about Al for a few years now - couldn't remember which it was but your picture sparked a memory for me.  I missed my (brief) chance while I was at school and he was still alive to get to know his story because I was young and had "better" things to do, but everything I have had a chance to pick up since then has been great - such a great story.  The Dick Enberg one man show about Al was amazing - if it ever comes back for another run everyone should get tickets immediately.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:51:50 AM by TJ »

TJ

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 11:02:25 AM »
nm

burger

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 08:38:46 AM »
You never know who writes the book.....

I know for a fact that a Top 10 book on Amazon was written by an MU grad.....

Can you says "Ghostwriter"......
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 08:43:24 AM by burger »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »

Matthew Lesko?  Or was that pre-Amazon?

feedback